main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    And yet 48.9% of Wisconsin voted for Trump therefore nearly half of them thinks it's still a joke. Bad enough here (Illinois) but at least our positively rate is starting to drop therefore if that continues will begin to get a better handle on it though I worry with the holidays coming up.

Meanwhile there is a little good news as we are so bad at controlling the pandemic that the United States is really one big trial run for the vaccines therefore will have plenty of evidence of it's efficiency in no time!

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Mayo Clinic is in MN, fwiw, not WI.

3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yes but the Mayo Clinic has hospital locations in Northwestern Wisconsin right on the border. My brother in law lives not too far from them as they own a organic farm. They think this is all a hoax and Dr. Fauci simply wants to get rich even though I pointed out to him that Fauci over the past twenty years had opportunities to get way richer by leaving government but decided against it as being a civil servant scientist is what he wanted. Didn't matter though just got more enraged telling me I was wrong especially when I named a few companies that said they tried to hire him and would made many many more millions then he would gotten from a secret vaccine stock deal. My wife has finally come to the realization that it's going to be a long time before we seen them since *fingers crossed* we get vaccinated we will be radioactive to them just like everyone else who gets vaccinated will be to those who did not get it at least that is what many scientists think will happen. You will be protected from the vaccine but there is also a good chance it will be bouncing off of you.

4. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    As we are getting closer to a vaccine, and seeing the light at the end of this dark tunnel, almost a year after this pandemic started, the W.H.O. still hasn't managed to investigate the origin of the coronavirus independently. But the health body only gives reassurances that it will manage to investigate the real origin of the pandemic... under the supervision of the of the PRC government...

It rather looks like that the W.H.O. is counting on the vaccines to be distributed and hoping that people will just go back to their normal lives and forget about the pandemic and the million of death globally... until the next pandemic happens...

5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    We've been getting them for the last month.

7. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    If that's your only answer, rather than arguing why I might be wrong to post a news (which concerns the W.H.O. and the world's health system), then it's worthless to discuss with you. Typical of people who, rather than using their brains and discussing, are using name-calling as "you're racist, or you're anti-thing, or you're priviliged if you post this or that, or if you think or say this or that" as a way to shut up others who might not "stay in their lanes". And then you're claiming to be open-minded?

Before, ideologically I was leaning to the left. I'm still on the left regarding economical issues (I support projects and ideas as universal healthcare, universal basic income, free education for young children and students, protection of the environment, a fairer tax system on society, etc. essential and important projects and ideas to keep a society prosperous). But, this year, or ever since this pandemic has started, I've been thinking a lot and I will say openly that the left has become very hysterical and hypocrite ideologically!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “Real origin of the pandemic” just sounds like conspiracy theory nonsense (which I am definitely not open minded about, I dismiss it outright).

The pandemic started with close contact with bats in a wet market in Wuhan. Previous pandemics have also started when a virus jumped from an animal to a human.

There is no need to assume that a group of people are involved in some plot to manufacture and drop this on the planet, and plenty of reason not to assume that.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So you're no longer on the left because you found some leftists who were annoying?

10. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    The W.H.O. should still have the right to investigate and not keep spinning around, around and around again.

Yes, most people agree it comes from Wuhan. But how could it have been transmitted to human? How could it spread so fast? When did the pandemic really start, earlier last year? What mechanisms have failed to prevent ia global spread while we were being reassured earlier this year by the W.H.O. "there's no reason to stop international flights and close borders"? etc... Your personal opinion or mind shouldn't matter in this very complicated matter, whether you believe in the origin from a wet market, the lab or other crazy conspiracies. What matters is transparency and that such a global crisis, which has claimed the lives of a million people and crashed the global economy with all the short and long term consequences (long-Covid health problems, extreme poverty, government's huge debts, mental health issues by staying in lockdown for months, etc.) doesn't happen again.

I'm still on the left economically. But my personal reasons for no longer being able to support some ideas or policies of the left regarding subjects as social or identity policies are more complicated than that: the right has become very ugly during the past decade, but the left, on the other hand, maybe as a direct or indirect reaction to the right, has become hysterical. It's deeper and much more complex than a simple annoying member, I could develop on that when I have the willingness, but this isn't the proper thread to discuss about it her. And I also have better stuff to do with my time than discussing my personal issues towards policies and ideologies, especially when I might easily lose patience towards some members, or I might even be able to anger some members, especially after such an exhausting year emotionally for all of us.

But, I can say that, by reflecting on everything that has happened this year, I really think that, as a society, even here on this side of the border, we've lost our minds collectively and dived into some kind of madness. These are the main reasons why I've almost completely disconnected myself from social media and discussions on platforms such as this forum, and why I sporadically follow the news for the past 2-3 months. I've decided to focus mainly on what I can control and do in my life, while waiting for this storm to pass.

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    You know Ebola jumped to humans from bats just a few years ago, right?

12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Doom scrolling Twitter 24/7 isn't for everyone.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This.

And I don’t “believe” that Covid originated from a wet market just like I don’t “believe” in gravity, climate change, or heliocentrism. I accept them as fact, and I don’t overcomplicate straightforward matters or add “but...” to statements of fact put forth by experts on the subject.

“Let’s pretend that Chinese scientists made a virus in a lab (or ask ‘but what if they did???’)” is far more hysterical and irrational than “as the human population increases, so does human proximity to animals, and so does the likelihood of viruses transmitting from animal to human”—even if blaming and demonizing a group of people makes one feel more in control than accepting the fact that **** happens, including pandemics with increasing frequency.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I was totally unfamiliar with Gravitas so I looked them up. It's worth noting that the Indian/Chinese rivalry has heated up recently and each country's media would be interested in making the other look bad on the international stage. Taking their reporting at face value would be like uncritically consuming the U.S. media's reporting on the DPRK or Bolivia or Venezuela or Cuba or Russia or Iran or Ch--

This not to say the WHO and PRC didn't **** up, but the video seems to be suggesting something more sinister than the wet market origin. And international organizations have to walk on eggshells around major powers all the time; we're just accustomed to the U.S. getting a pass.

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Take a look at your own posting history. You have an obsession with China. You've posted a lot of these China stories, they're basically all the same, and they're usually conspiratorial in nature. You are what you post. You are what you spend so much time focused on. You have an anti-China bias.

I don't care what you are ideologically. I don't care what you think of the left. Embrace bitter, anti-left, anti-PC politics. I don't care. It's your life and your choice. Be who you want. Support what you want.

The way you're reacting is just so classic. We've seen this so many times. Right now you're suffering from cognitive dissonance. It's a painful phase. You'll either learn to handle the pain of being accused of X while identifying as anti-X, or you'll just stop being anti-X and embrace the accusation. A lot of people choose the latter.

But when you do follow the news, it's on the specter of China. But nah, you don't have an anti-China bias. It's just a coincidence that you find these articles/videos and post them over and over. It's totally not your thing, despite several people recognizing it as your thing.

SuperWatto likes this.
  16. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    So... mainly you're all implying that I said that it came from other sources than a bat? Are you putting into my mouth words that I haven't written at the very beginning?

WION isn't the only one reporting this because of the "Indian/Chinese rivalry". The New York Times published a more complete detail article regarding that subject, on the WHO's investigation, at the beginning of this November: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/02/world/who-china-coronavirus.html

But who should care? It's still the New York Times that belongs to Americans... Americans also have a long history of racism and white supremacy, so why care about this newspaper coming from a country that has racism and anti-Asian feelings to begin with?

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Being aware of the potential biases of a source is not the same as discounting it entirely.

18. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Care to play the virtue-signalling?

I've been very kind towards you and I even PM you as well about a month or two ago trying to have a bit more empathy and have a better grasp regarding another subject we've discussed, regarding America and the possibility of civil war (even if you've never answered me back after).

Well, I'll tell you as well what's your problem: you also suffer from this narcissistic tendency of wanting to play this kind of white knight on its white horse, because policing what other says or may think (if they might say something that gets out of the lane)... makes you feel good, right? And also gives you some kind of control over others, right? I've seen this before as well.

Well, you've just demonstrated one of the problems I've found on the left, or rather the extreme-left. Thank you for having spared me the time for the demonstration.

P.S.: as a reminder, criticizing a government isn't the same as criticizing a people. Since I've also been very critical of American policy and government since Trump came into office (even saying stuff as "Americans have a bad history of solving their differences through violence"), I also have anti-American bias as well according to your logic.

19. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    You're right... Maybe it's time for me to cool down a bit tonight...

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I really don't see how the "originated from a wet market" is being treated as robust as gravity. There's been a chunk of research on it, and it doesn't seem at all clear that it originated there, just that it is where early spread was. It may well have jumped to humans elsewhere: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...-not-be-source-novel-virus-spreading-globally

And more recent review on this, including that we still don't know where it originated from: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-17/coronavirus-origins-wuhan-12-months-on/12890076

Rew and Ramza like this.
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Ah, virtue signaling. A phrase to help ease your cognitive dissonance. Anyone who challenges you must be roleplaying, it can't be genuine.

I don't care about your supposed kindness. I resent you bringing it up right now, reminding me of it (is this virtue signaling on your part?). It has no bearing on the discussion, it's just an attempt at manipulation on your part. You did the same thing in your response to SuperWatto. You posted about your ideology, about your reconsideration, as a sort of threat. Be better careful everybody, SW Saga Fan is starting to turn away from the left! Better be nice to him.

I reject your supposed kindness, and ask that you never to extend it to me again. Don't PM me, either. I don't like you and I don't want any private messages from you.

It's ****ing hilarious to hear someone call me a white knight. But it's typical of the archetypal path you're following. Complaints about virtue signaling, white knighting, thought policing, etc. Next you'll whine about freedom of speech.

I knew this response was coming. It's just so ****ing classic. It's the same old path.

You're taking the first step toward total ideological transformation, such as embracing that which you once opposed. Person has their bias pointed out > Person can't handle it > Turns against their accusers > Calls them the real oppressors, the thought police, whines about freedom of speech > Starts thinking accusers are the real problem > Turns against any anti-bias > Embraces bias.

Examples:

White person gets called a racist. Can't handle it. Turns against accuser. Starts thinking reverse racism is the real racism. Starts thinking white people are the real persecuted race, just because they were called a racist. Turns against anti-racism as hysterical and unfounded. Thinks there's no real racism against minorities, only against whites. Then just goes mask off and embraces racism.

Man gets called a misogynist. Can't handle it. Calls feminist accuser a feminazi. Starts thinking men are the real oppressed gender, despite the gender wealth gap, three quarters of US Congress being men, etc. Turns against feminism as hysterical and no longer necessary. Feminism was only needed in the past, when they couldn't vote. Then the man just goes mask off and embraces misogyny, anti-feminism, the Red Pill, and Goes Their Own Way.

You're in the Can't Handle It phase, the cognitive dissonance phase. You're still whining about having your privilege pointed out a month ago. It's your choice where you go from here.

22. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Dude, you're the one who decided to extend this matter and made it even more personal and worse (using such big words as "I don't like you" even if you've never seen me). I'm responding to you according to your terms when you decided to personally take on me. So you should expect me to personally take on you as well.

These are YOUR terms of discussion and way of engaging into me, not mine! So don't come and now criticize me and denounce the fact that I'm engaging into you on the same terms.

You're the one who's being unreasonable here by keeping extending this matter here, mocking me, trying to make a fool of me, trying to label me as anti-this or anti-that. Dude, what the ****? Have you lost your mind?

But, if the mods allow it, I'll try a bit to play into your exercise of embracing "the accusations" and purify myself from my bias: I might have some bias against some ideas of the left since I've lived in the Middle-East during my childhood, in a conservative environment, and my father (who's born in the Middle-East) was kind of very conservative as well (he opposes same-sex marriage for example, while I largely reject his views, especially when one of my cousins, on my father's family side is gay and got married here in Canada, which infuriates my father). And I had the chance to go a French school in Cairo (since the French government has an international programme of education) where they impose values as secularism and forbids the wearing of religious signs from any ethnic or religious group, despite the fact we were living in a somewhat very conservative society. After coming back to Canada, I voted once for the provincial political party that is in power now, the CAQ, because I got tired of the Liberal party being accused of corruption for years and give a chance to a new party. It's the same political party in the government of Quebec that wants to implement a law regarding secularism, but is now being accused of "racism" simply because of wanting to forbid religious signs in the public bureaucracy. And I still love my father, despite the fact I don't like that he has homophobic views (homosexuality is negatively viewed in the Middle-East). I still love my aunt despite the fact that she has anti-vaccine views and bias, and surely she will never take the Covid vaccine, but she took care of me and my brothers when I was a child and my parents were busy, and welcomed me many times in her house when I visited her.

So yeah, here you go @CT-867-5309:
    • I'm guilty of loving my father who doesn't like homosexuality;
    • I'm guilty of loving my aunt who distrust science and vaccines;
    • I'm guilty of having grown in a conservative environment and society in the Middle-East;
    • I'm guilty of supporting secularism after having followed the French education system;
    • I'm guilty of having voted once for a political party that is implementing secularism in Quebec and is now being labeled as "racist" because of that;
    • I'm guilty of being a mixed child from a Middle-Eastern man and a "French frog" woman, since Quebecers are considered to be the biggest racists in Canada by the rest of the country (take note that "French frog" was a slur used by English-speaking people in Canada against French-Canadians, when they were also victims of discrimination and injustice from the rest of Canada);
    • I'm guilty of being "privileged" of having lived in two different countries in my life and having seen people from different origins and cultures when I grew up and when I was still a student.
    Yes, I'm guilty now of my past, my origins, and of my actions. I'm also guilty by association. Therefore, because of my origins, my thoughts and actions, when I criticize a government in Egypt, in Canada, in America, in France or in China, I have anti-Egyptian bias, anti-Canadian bias, anti-American bias, anti-France bias, and anti-China bias.

It's time to burn me now! I'm a traitor to the left because of who I am as a person and what I think and because of my ability of changing my mind and my thoughts when I absorb new information.

You know, those who never change their minds or thoughts after absorbing new information or having lived through different environments or having lived different experiences are the ones who are called crazy. You can hate me now @CT-867-5309 .

Have a good night!

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  23. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    My favourite bit of your bio, is where you tag CT.

Just kidding, I didn’t care for any of it.

Time to get back to the topic.

tom, anakinfansince1983 , Rew and 3 others like this.
  24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It’s totally going to turn out to be mink. Found in multiple mink populations in multiple countries, evidence to suggest it was lightly circulating in Europe as far back as September 2019, the facts are all there! Big Mink doesn’t want you to connect the dots!

25. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I pasted a quote buddy. That's all. I didn't claim anything.

If I see you've posted, I scan the post for 'WHO' and 'PRC'. Because then I know that it will just be one of those posts again. Your posts are predictable, you have one issue that you want to beat everybody over the head with, and though hardly anybody ever replies you keep at it. I can't help that you do that, so please refrain from trying to label me in retaliation. Be thankful there's someone as perceptive as CT to provide that splendid quote. At least it means someone actually reads your posts.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020