main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    It's going to be infuriating seeing all the conservative politicians and talking heads suddenly start talking about all the deaths from Covid, the lack of healthcare available, the lack of stimulus getting to people, and the overall impact this has had on people's lives. And they'll do it without a shred of acknowledging their role in it, and place the blame squarely on Biden.

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I just learned that I tested negative this past Friday for the virus. I'm beginning to think that I had it earlier this year and didn't know it. Is that possible, @Vaderize03? I was in close proximity to at least two people who recently tested positive (which is more than I was aware of when we talked last week), and there are other recent positives at the school where I work. That I somehow didn't get it seems unlikely to me.

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I know a number of people who got antibody tests because they thought they'd already had it, but all of them came back negative. It's just anecdotal, but if I had to guess, I bet the prevalence of false belief in having already had Covid is higher than the prevalence of people who have already had Covid. But for those who must know the truth - not sure how easy it is to get an antibody test these days.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  4. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    At least at my local blood center, anyone who donates blood also gets an antibody test.

Rew and Rylo Ken like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That makes sense.

6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Even for the US, I'd go Roy Horn of Seigfried and Roy

This wouldn't surprise me. A ton of people went "Well, I got sick, it must have been COVID", often picking a time pretty early on. Ignoring that things like the flu do still exist, and so there's a lot of other things they could've had. Especially when it's something like Jan/Feb.

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Most polls say about 60% of the country will get the vaccine. Is 60% will not be enough to have herd immunity aka eradicate it but hopefully is enough to end the pandemic as it will turn into the flu even though if the numbers are right about the vaccine(s) we really have the ability to pretty much eradicate it. People love their "freedumbs" though even if it kills them.

Again Governor Meathead is going to get run over by Disney, Universal etc as they already come out and said that the vaccine will be mandatory to enter the park when the time comes. And Disney controls your economy obviously. So Governor Meathead can talk bullcrap all he wants. In the end, he is going to look like a fool. They are all.

blackmyron likes this.
  8. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Yes. Severe disease usually means you’re hospitalized and heading towards ICU-level-care and intubation.

Definitely possible. However, I would caution everyone that antibody tests have proven to be notoriously insensitive and nonspecific. There are different antibodies to this virus, and the cornucopia of assays that have littered the United States since the spring makes gathering any real data on overall immunity difficult at best.

If I had to venture a guess, probably about 10% of the population is infected. That’s a lot higher than the official numbers. I had an antibody test back in March, and it was negative. Not sure if the test was any good, it was from Abbott labs and the numbers that came out later in the summer showed it was a pretty bad assay.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    @Vaderize03 , just to be clear, does that mean this Moderna vaccine prevents all hospitalizations, or just ICU-worthy hospitalizations?

Anyway, depressing graphs of the day:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SW Saga Fan and blackmyron like this.
  10. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    It doesn’t prevent hospitalizations at all, it prevents progression to severe disease that usually requires hospital level of care. What probably is happening is that it prevents the virus from progressing beyond the head, getting into the lungs and causing pneumonia from which it then wreaks havoc throughout the rest of the body. Ergo, one does not get severe disease and require admission to the hospital.

11. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Ohhh hey. Trumps Covid "Advisor" Scott Atlas has resigned. He's the one who was peddling conspiracy theories and telling Michigan residents to rise up against the tyranny of the mask.

Probably wanted to get out before he was fired. And because Joe Biden won and he won't be needing him.

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Hong Kong Disneyland is shutting down again as of today.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So that's what I was asking, that it prevents all cases severe enough to go to the hospital, or just the very severe ICU-level hospitalizations.

14. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    [Sarcasm on] You know it's really bad when the French become number #1, above the U.S., instead of America being always #1. [Sarcasm off]

And, here's the first person to receive the vaccine:

[​IMG]

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Looks like a weird Homer Simpson

Darth Smurf and SW Saga Fan like this.
  16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    .... and that ****ing idiot Dr. Atlas has resigned. Finally.

17. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    And prays he never gets sued for negligence. Hopefully Atlas will enjoy his career selling fake vitmains on Newsmax and OAN. FNC only likes stamp and mypillow commercials followed by Kelly Leake's dad from "Bad News Bears" selling gold.

Hong Kong had 76 cases today and they are bascially shutting down the country. Meanwhile Florida has another 7k cases today even though Governor Meathead no longer publishes most of the data (and cut down on how many tests they run per day) and it's full steam as incredibly it is Disney who puts restrictions at the park, not Governor Meathead.

Runjedirun, Jedi Ben and blackmyron like this.
  18. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    When you were at almost no cases, and it starts climbing up 20, 50, 100 per day... it's scary. You know where it could end up.
    I know it's nothing to you folks in countries where you can literally see the virii floating in the air.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean an uptick like that for you is huge.

20. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I tested positive. I’m starting to feel bad.

21. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Really sorry to hear that @Serpico Jones. I hope when you say you feel bad that it's mainly worry and not actual symptoms. Either way, I wish you a speedy recovery.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
  24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002