main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Probably most countries too. This will sound sort of weird but I hope it’s more widespread than we are aware and the UK strain is responsible for the surge in COVID we saw take off in November for the United States.

If not, then another surge is coming. At 50% more contagious probably the worst surge of the Pandemic. At least now we have a vaccine and new leadership on its way. We can actively work to save people and keep this new strain in check. It’s going to be a race.

black_saber, Rew, Pensivia and 2 others like this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No that doesn’t sound weird. It would be better if they was the UK strain but I don’t think it was

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    On the plus side, there are no more opportunities for large family gatherings until at least early April, if not, late May. Not saying families will not get together before then, but you have to find the little silver linings.

Vaderize03, Rew, grd4 and 3 others like this.
  4. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    People have literally moved out of California so they can not be "locked down". There are states that have never locked down. And even though they suffered badly at some point, they still don't want to. Is it even feasible for this country to do a lock down? Do we even have that option? Sounds to me like we are just going to continue to voluntarily wear masks, social distance and not go out if not absolutely necessary. I mean that's what my family (the 4 people living in my house) have been doing. But even our neighbors don't do this, like I can't go see or speak in person with anyone unless I know them super well and trust them because I just have to assume everyone else is eating at restaurants or going to the gym. So many people here in VA are doing those things! I don't think it would be taken well if those things closed again either. It's all crazy!

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The Dokata’s both did an absolute horrible job

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    By comparison, MN probably did the best job compared to other midwest states so far.

Rew, Runjedirun and Pensivia like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What is feasible/within Biden’s power:

—Mask mandates on federal property (he has already said that’s happening)

—Interstate closure for nonessential travel (I don’t think he’ll do that but he should)

—Cessation of nonessential air travel (Bush 43 shut down all air travel after 9/11, but again I don’t think Biden will do this, although he should)

What Biden and Congress can do:

—Increase funding and manpower for vaccination distribution

—Another round of stimulus, or two or three or four

—Funding for state and local governments

—Expansion of unemployment insurance

—Relief for small businesses—and for ****’s sake, don’t throw it to the banks to decide which businesses get the money this time

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Mar17swgirl, Runjedirun and Pensivia like this.
  9. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Anyone else worried by the increasing unemployment and the rising number of people who slide into poverty? Given the bancrupcy rate of some business segments it will take ages until certain people get a new job - even after the pandemic. Even when all are finally vaccinated there is a very hard time in front of us

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, which is why we need stimulus as well as assistance for small businesses (actual small businesses, not big corporations who call their banks for money because they are used to the concierge treatment).

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Some organisations over here have also started work looking into the new forms inequality, particularly digital - plus the ability to work from home. These new fault lines are unlikely to fade away, regardless of progress in dealing with the pandemic.

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Considering it's my job, every ****ing day

13. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Hey @Ramza, I hear you can buy shoes again. :p

Ramza likes this.
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    My brother has been unemployed since last March when things rightly shut down. He hasn't been paid for unemployment since before Christmas, even though the funding is there both at the state and now federal level, because California just can't get its **** together. They promise he'll be paid all the back pay this week... but he's just lucky he got some money for Christmas so he could pay January rent, while everyone else unemployed is still waiting on checks and is a month behind on bills at least.

15. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    the bottom line is that the current state of the US is that we expect people to both stay at home to prevent the spread of the virus, and simultaneously go out and earn a living for food and rent

instead of just paying people to stay at home

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  16. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Are any states keeping up with unemployment? I haven't heard anything from Maryland and I filed the end of Nov. I stopped my claim now, but there's no way to even get through. You can text and get a bot answer, but my email inquiry is unanswered and the phones are busy 100% of the time.

What I'm curious about is jobs, are they just available in DC, cause DC is always hiring? Last week alone I had interviews with 4 different employers. People here are hiring and my resume was getting hits. I even turned down offers. They are paying $21.00 an hour if you want to go do data entry at the Covid testing sites in my county. Is it risky? probably, but if you need $, there is work. Also grocery stores and home depot are begging for employees. At least here in the greater DC area. Also if you want to contract for the Govt with the incoming administration lots and lots of contract jobs. I could have taken one of those too, but I got super lucky and found a permanent job with a company that hasn't been hit negatively by the pandemic.

Rew likes this.
  17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Not just shoes! Shoes and clothes!

[​IMG]

Of course, between the first steps of lockdown easing and tax season the truly hot debate right now is the possible reopening of stationary stores.

Edit: Oh, and they just confirmed we have the British variant, although considering how bad round two of the second wave got I’m not all that shocked. We’re going to be hanging out at FIFTH DOG PES 5 for a while, I suspect.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  18. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I think it is similar everywhere. Governments said they will help but the money does not arrive. Relatives of my wife have a restaurant. They were told they get help from the state but yet the money is not there. However, they received the monthly bills on time.

Rew likes this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Even my libertarian brother wants the government to pay people to stay home.

(Ps I don't think he's much of a libertarian anymore)

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    This has even affected the schools, as many hourly people cannot get paid through their contract unless they are doing the job that they are hired to do, and if there are no students on the school bus or eating in the cafeteria, then what?

Thankfully some districts, including mine, have been able to offer them paid leave through the CARES Act.

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wh...n-memorial-about-lives-lost-covid-19-n1254630

Glad Biden is taking time today to honor the 400,000 Americans who died from COVID in the last year. 400,000 preventable deaths. More than a political ceremony this shows a major course change for the COVID response in America under Biden compared to Trump. Hope turns into action.

Finally we have a leader willing to acknowledge this tragedy. Finally the United States will take the fight to COVID on a national level without distraction or ulterior motives.

Rew, jcgoble3, Juliet316 and 3 others like this.
  22. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I think some of the schools here were delivering meals, cooked by the cafeteria staff and delivered by the bus drivers on there normal daily routes, twice a day. So I guess that’s one way to keep them employed.

23. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    A good summary of what scientists are looking at right now.

I think the vaccines will still help but at the very least they will prime in the immune system to recognize the virus. Given the high level of efficacy of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, I am hopeful that even with these new variants, the immune response will still be robust enough to prevent major illness, or even any symptoms in most.

Rew, Glitterstimm, Pensivia and 4 others like this.
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Right I was hoping it would be like when you get a flu vaccine. Those are like 50% effective at best at totally preventing flu. But having it at least means when you get sick, your body is primed and so you get more mild symptoms.

25. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    We just had our covid response update at work. Although the vaccine will be mandatory, phasing people back into the office probably won't happen until fall, with the larger acceptance that a real return to normal in office environment probably won't be felt until 2022.

It's sad that we've now crossed the 400K line. Remember last spring, when we were never supposed to top 150K. Then 200K. Then... yeah.