main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    They have talked about using face shields on top of masks when you really have no way of social distancing. Some teachers I know are starting to use that. I have not at least not yet since my contact with everyone is extremely minimum. I even have some classes now where no students are showing up even though a few should be in there. They are just opting out which I freely admit I expected. Second semester seniors + cold/snowy out = they will work remote if they can.

Biden administration came out and today said there will be three COVID-19 update/press conferences per week going forward. That sounds like a lot but in reality that was the original plan for an pandemic like situation going back to the GWB administration. The CDC/NIH along with the White House would be giving regular updates with the scientists being the leads on it. Again we just had well what we had before so it seems abnormal but really isn't.

2. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    What’s abnormal was the behavior of the Trump Administration over the last four years.

For his supporters who don’t like the government and wanted chaos, they got what they voted for. There could not have been a worse administration to have in place for a pandemic. At least war didn’t break out in the last four years.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Concerns that part of what resulted in cases climbing in California in the last few months is a new more virulent strain: https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2021-01-23/coronavirus-california-strain-homegrown

The new strain was identified when they were checking to see if the UK version was here, and this one strain saw a significant growth in the last few months of 2020. Best part of that article:

Darth Guy likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You get a strain! You get a strain!

Pensivia likes this.
  5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Awesome.

I have things coming up in the next few weeks that I was certain I was going to be able to go out and do and be okay. Now I'm not so sure with this new strain seeming to be everywhere. There's just no telling where or how you could pick up this virus.

I might become one of those vaccine chasers who calls around at the end of every day to see if there are any available doses that weren't used by somebody earlier in the day.

Runjedirun likes this.
  6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I remember when that was first reported on. It's darkly comical when you see the stupid superspreader costume.

[​IMG]

7. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Not as bad as Stanford.... but it's close

8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Here is video of the costume in action.

This is right out of a low budget horror film. Was this found to be true? The costume caused a super spreader event?

It’s so hard for people to think differently during COVID.

What happened in Stanford?

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Stanford thinks this is a tree:
    [​IMG]

10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    It did except it's a domestic war, not a foreign one.

Biden says he wants everyone to have the shot available by the spring. That doesn't seem doable. He is also aiming for 1.5 million shots a day. That seems doable.

11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    At least the guy inside is wearing brown pants.

You know what I mean by war. The civil unrest and the pandemic are civil unrest and a pandemic, not a war. Not saying one is worse, just that it’s good a war didn’t break out.

I wish the US solution for the pandemic was treated like a war effort. And the COVID-19 virus was looked at like an invading enemy.

By the spring or during the spring? Match 20th does not seem doable for the start of spring. Spring goes until June 20th, maybe we can get closer. I’d rather have a push with action behind it than fake sun outlooks that we’ll all be fine by Valentine’s Day.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

That tree is nightmare fuel.

13. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    One good side effect of the pandemic? Fathers feel closer to their kids:

I certainly do and hope it stays that way post pandemic.

14. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Breaking news in Fairfax county VA. We are out of vaccines for teachers, those who got a first shot will get a second. But lots of teachers haven't gotten a first shot yet. Ugh! VA has no good vaccine news.

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    We haven't had shot #1 yet as we just filled out a survey to let the district know how many shots were needed. The superintendent told us to pursue other avenues if available. Basically get it anyway you can ASAP.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My dad retired this year. Kinda anyway. He’s still on as an advisor but he’ll probably almost never have to go in for work now except for major meetings. So I’ll see a lot more of him and have already.

17. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    The thing is @Luke02 seniors were bumped off the list to get teacher's shots because teacher's are the priority. That was my understand as my own mother's appointment was cancelled. So to hear they don't have enough for teacher's is very discouraging. It means my mom's shot is nowhere near happening and you know me and my family, feels like never. I wish I could just find something to preoccupy my mind for another 6 months. I probably have to do just that :)

Pensivia likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Here it’s a statewide plan as far as who is prioritized—health care workers, then 65 and over, then essential workers including teachers—but distribution is county by county. In counties with fewer older people and health care workers, they’ve started vaccinating teachers.

darthcaedus1138 and Runjedirun like this.
  19. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    They just explained they have possibly changed priorities again. Our governor was supposed to give us an update tomorrow at 2pm, but I guess the update isn't ready yet because now it's moved back to Wednesday at 2pm. My problem is partially that my mom got an appointment and my hopes sprung up. But ever since it got cancelled I've been having a lot of trouble dealing with the frustration. And hearing lots of other seniors and now teachers can't get the shot either. Patience, I lost my patience and hopefully I will find it soon.

Pensivia likes this.
  20. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    It's been documented that the virus is airborne. But in this case, it isn't a virus that just floats about in the air (some viruses do this); it occurs in droplets. So of course that means it's in droplets, not just when people sneeze, but when they breathe out. Those droplets usually drop to the ground eventually.

I did wonder why some people (including board members) have been catching it despite taking all reasonable precautions, and I'd wager that some are being infected through their eyes, which has been identified as a point of entry for some time now.

Juliet316 and Master_Lok like this.
  21. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    I can vouch for this. I've been working from home since last March. My oldest is doing hybrid school. When I come up for my breaks and lunch break I get to see my wife and kids. Working from home has its pros and cons, but man, when we eventually do get back to a place where I go back to the office...

I'm going to miss seeing those faces. The one good thing that's come out of this has been seeing more of my family.

22. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Welp. And we are now getting a discrete walkback from locking down this week, on the official pretext of waiting another week to see whether 6PM curfews are slowing the progression of the virus...

23. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Now seeing all the arguments that outdoor dining being allowed again in LA county and the state getting rid of the regional stay-at-home is all proof that COVID was really a hoax because now Biden's in office and COVID isn't a threat anymore.

24. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    People of the U.K. are too old, and too fat

Lordban likes this.