main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My question is. Is this really due to the vaccine role out or if this is a true decline was this just going to happen?

3. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    VadersLaMent and Pensivia like this.
  4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I think it’s the preventative measures so many states were taking in the lead up to thanksgiving through to the New Year. People did their part and impacted the spread of the virus. Now we’re about to see another in cases as these restriction are lifted. Worse is the lower numbers never go down as far as the last low point. So the next peak will be even higher.

It seems it’s impossible for a large segment of the population to see cause and effect if more than a few hours separate the two. Lock down measures take weeks to impact the virus. And the current numbers show it.

5. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Restrictions are being lifted as the Super Bowl is just around the corner. And then a month from now we'll be discussing a dramatic rise in cases.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    When people tell their doctors where they think they got COVID, will they have to say "watching the big game" in order to avoid an NFL lawsuit?

jcgoble3, Vaderize03, mnjedi and 5 others like this.
  7. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Runjedirun and Juliet316 like this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I read a bunch of Lawrence Wright's work beyond just his book on Scientology. I will pre-order this.

And Oklahoma no give backs for buying Tr**p's bull:

11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Eh depends on if they restrict things at bars and all around the SB. The actual stadium itself might be ok. They're apparently following the Chief's model of pods and restricting movement (you stay in one zone and can only use bathrooms and concessions there). That had successfully led to no COVID outbreaks from the games.

But I imagine the real issue will be full sports bars all around Tampa. I mean, even with the precautions I didn't feel comfortable going to any games this year. But good at least for the vaccinated healthcare workers who will be safe.

jcgoble3 and Juliet316 like this.
  12. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    But I don't mean just in Tampa. I mean all over the country where people will be having gatherings all over the place. It will basically become another holiday level rise in cases as a result. Especially now with so many stay at home orders being lifted, everybody is just going to think they can go anywhere and be around however many people they want.

Rew likes this.
  13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I mean people definitely shouldn't do that. You can't stop people from being stupid though. Every holiday has featured ill advised gatherings. As usual I will just be watching with my parents and brother, my pod who never go anywhere besides to each other's houses.

14. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    That was happening anyway @MotivateR5D4 which is partly why the stay at home orders are being semi reworked in some states to have a few more activities for people to do but in a more controlled and safer environment then gathering at home. But whether the restricts are tight or loose people are going to gather for the Super Bowl just like they did for Thanksgiving and Super Bowl especially in Tampa Bay and Kansas City. I just hope that people's gatherings are smaller that day/decide to stay at home and have a small party with their immediate family and picking up/delivery if they want restaurant food. That is what we are doing. The boys have been asking for Buffalo Wild Wings for quite a while now and even though I am not a big fan of their wings (their potato wedges are really good though I must admit) we might surprise them with a pickup order.

15. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    So my Mum has been booked to get her first dose of the vaccine on 4 February. [face_dancing] Having turned 75 in December, she just made it into the higher priority 75+ group (my Dad unfortunately will need to wait until the 65+ are ready to go). Also my 88 year old aunt, of whom my Mum takes care, is getting the first vaccine dose this Friday. :)

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    They haven't even started a system to schedule doses for people like my 87 year old grandmother with heart problems here.

17. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
  18. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    You are eligible at the end of Phase 2 - you have 2 co-morbidities. You might want to try signing up - go fill out the attestation form on the Mass DPH site. Can't hurt.

My daughter works at a hospital and got her first Moderna last Tuesday. She is 22. Amongst her peers there is a lot of misinformation - becoming infertile, becoming a zombie, etc. I shared with her some great patient education content from MY hospital to help allay her fears. My parents are over 75 but live on an Island (Martha's Vineyard), my Dad is very computer literate but today was a ****show trying to sign up for appointments. I'm hoping they'll get their appointments ASAP.

19. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    Well with a president who did everything imaginable to fight medically sound advice and actively spread the disease, encouraging his followers to do likewise... yeah I’d say we didn’t.

20. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    My dad has been scheduled to receive his first shot of the vaccine in just a little under two weeks. I’m really relieved; now I just need to convince my mom to get hers sooner. She’s skeptical about a vaccine that was created so quickly.

21. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    It was only done quicker because of the urgency and shear number of volunteers for testing. It's had the same level of testing a vaccine with a ten year development cycle has had.
    This is mainly because funding and volunteers have been no issue.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't think any single thing had received this much global attention and funding since the original creation of nuclear weapons. Of course, the attention was secret in that case, but governments were aware just the same.

On second thought, probably the race to the moon was on that level.

23. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    The better figure is hospitalization rates. Mild cases that resolve at home are important for overall tracking, but don't significantly contribute to the current severity level. Theoretically speaking, we could have ten times as many cases as we have now without major immediate issues (other than testing capacity and backlog) if 100% of the additional cases all resolve at home. (Long-term effects are a different story.)

The critical factor is when those cases don't resolve at home and require hospitalization. Hospital beds are a limited resource, and if they fill up, tough decisions have to be made. The number of cases currently in the hospital therefore provides a good picture of how severe the situation is.

And Ohio's hospitalization counts are dropping pretty steadily. We've had seven consecutive days below 3,500, which has triggered a relaxation of the curfew (11pm instead of 10pm). We're actually now below 3,000, which if that lasts for seven days will kick the curfew to midnight.

I think we're seeing major drops in hospitalization counts because of vaccinations. While very few have been vaccinated, the people that have received shots are those most at risk for death or hospitalization: nursing home residents, medical workers, elderly, and those with severe comorbidities. Even when only one shot has been received, there is still a significant level of protection from that single shot. Of course, two shots is always better.

I believe that we have permanently passed the final peak for hospitalization rates. I think they will only go down from here now that those most at risk of complications have been or are being vaccinated.

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, there’s a two to three week delay on hospitalization rates, so if you’re trying to figure out if you’re currently seeing a downturn in new cases, not so much, no. :p I agree that they’re important for determining measures, though.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  25. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    I don't understand this study's claim that countries with low populations mostly did better. There are six in the top ten best performing nations that are densely populated, namely: Vietnam, Taiwan, Thailand, Cyprus, Rwanda, and Sri Lanka; and of those, two have large populations: Vietnam (96 million) and Thailand (69 million). We also know that Japan (with well over 100 million people) and South Korea (51 million) have also done well.

The study also claims that being an island helps. As may be in some cases, but one can hardly make this claim with Thailand and Vietnam, both of which have long land borders. And there are island nations that have done poorly (*cough* UK).

There may be some correlation, but I'm highly sceptical that there's always causation. Some of those countries have poor infrastructure, or at least not as good as many Western countries, but this has not appreciably held them back. I'd argue that the other main factor is a population relatively willing to comply with all reasonable health measures, including restrictions on their movements to combat the pandemic.

Jedi Ben and Runjedirun like this.