main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Texas is always going to do what Texas is always going to do, but a lot of employers in other states that have had success with a remote workforce are flat out going to wait until June to bring people back to the office. If you want to be absolutely sure, and you have no pressing need to make people come into work, then that really is the path of least resistance. Just get everybody in the workplace vaccinated after all the people who can't work remotely have been vaccinated, and then bring people back in.

Here in Cook County, 6.5% of the population has been fully vaccinated. That's not enough to start compelling people back into the Loop. I know it would be nice to get the Loop operational again. It's still a desolate wasteland of closed dining and retail and empty office buildings, with sad people walking their sad dogs in complete solitude, and it would be nice to see it busy and vibrant, but at this point, why push it?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Between the electrical grid fiasco and this, the Texas state government is gunning to be the worst in the country. These *******s are going to kill more people and help make the vaccines less effective. They're coming for you, North Dakota!

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    jcgoble3, Pensivia and Juliet316 like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Gov. Cooper just moved the timeline for Group 3 (essential workers) back by a week so my husband can schedule his appointment as early as Thursday morning. Plus a lot more doses are being shipped to North Carolina, can’t remember the exact number. Most of my coworkers have gotten their first dose.

I wish there was more available information on timing of the vaccine for those who have had Covid. Right now I’m looking at scheduling my first dose Easter week when I have some time off.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Indescribably angry about Abbott’s idiocy to the point that I actually cannot write most of my opinions on the forum, but taking small, small solace in the fact that my parents have already been vaccinated.

Continuing the proud white southern Catholic tradition of not listening to the Pope when he says or does literally anything their real God, the Republican Party platform, disapproves of.

8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I don't see why Catholics should care what the Pope says. Not like he's infallible.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I do think technically the Pope has to wave his magic wand of ex Cathedra infallibility +1 or else the decrees he approves of are simply very serious business. Or whatever the formal process entails, possibly involving a Save vs. Heresy check.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Airports are projected to be at their busiest since the beginning of the pandemic thanks to Spring Breakers. Also my state is reaching the one year anniversary of the first confirmed Covid case, March 6th 2020.

11. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  12. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    That both the deaths and the new cases 7-day averages seem to have the same minimum, that does seem to suggest that Texas is complicated more by gaps in reporting rather than underlying features.

13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I feel like you're not giving Montana, the only state where 18 year old college freshman can now bring their favorite gun with them when they move into the dorm, its proper due.

Darth Punk and Rew like this.
  14. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    What is also positive about Texas and Mississippi is most of the citizens want to get vaccinated even if there governors are morons.

But the other problem is many won’t wear masks.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean to be fair at least they aren’t saying don’t take the Moderna or Pfizer ones. But I’ll get whichever one I can get a jab from. Although I would prefer Moderna or Pfizer since they are better from what I have seen

16. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm in shock. My anti-truth, plandemic-believing, fake-news-screaming, Trump-loving father got his first vaccine dose today. I didn't think he ever would.

LAJ_FETT , Rew, Coruscant and 9 others like this.
  17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    At the end of the day, a lot of those folks have one standard for others and one for themselves.

Nobody145, Rew, Coruscant and 6 others like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I scheduled my first shot for next week. I call it the “I don’t want to get this **** again” appointment.

LAJ_FETT , Nobody145, Rew and 12 others like this.
  19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Governor of Texas is trying to get two wrongs equaling a right.

I guess he’s on thin ice after the power outages two weeks ago. Removing COVID precautions appeals to voters who are double mad at him right now. It’s also a hugely controversial and dangerous decision to fully open up. That moves attention away from the calamity of the unregulated Texas power grid and back to a partisan issue - that shouldn’t be partisan.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Juliet316 and solojones like this.
  20. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Same in PA. Our hospital’s COVID census is way down but I expect it will rebound over the next several weeks.

People are insane. The Biden administration should say “Hey states, do what you want, but don’t expect any federal money when the virus surges out of control if you end restrictions.”

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Gov. Cooper lifted some restrictions last week—sports venues can go to 30 percent capacity, as can bars and nightclubs. The 10 p.m. curfew was lifted and alcohol sales now cut off at 11 p.m. instead of 9 p.m.

Looks pretty good compared to what some states are doing—he’s not even considering lifting the mask mandate—but there is still commentary that he’s lifting restrictions too early. We have about 15 percent of the population with their first vaccine dose, I think Texas has 8 percent?

Runjedirun likes this.
  22. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    My wife just finally got an appt for her first shot on March 19. It's about 25 miles away...but we got it. No idea which vaccine it'll be. But that's at least one of us.

LAJ_FETT , Nobody145, Rew and 4 others like this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    25 miles would be lucky here. The vast majority of people who've gotten the vaccine in my county, like 200,000, have had to go outside the county to get it. Only 6000 doses have made it to the county itself. It's #2 most populous county.

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So happy to see so many people in here getting or scheduling to get the vaccine! I...haven't even looked to see when I could do it for myself. I'm healthy (relatively), no co-morbidities, and 29 years old. I'm just assuming I'm dead last at this point.

Nobody145, Rew, Vaderize03 and 4 others like this.
  25. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm not as young as you, but I'm in the same category. The news today says we will get a shot by the end of May, but I don't want to start making plans for this summer yet. My county finally got through everyone who registered on Jan 18th. It was the day they opened the floodgates and everyone registered. I'll look again in a week to see if they get past Jan 19th if they do I'll feel better. And whenever they start whatever group is after group 1B, I'll feel better then too. I know they are giving out vaccines, I see the cars turning into the line at the hospital every morning and the big signs that say "vaccine by appointment only."

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021