main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Pandemics in the Age of Globalization: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion: See OP Warning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Jan 21, 2020.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I might get my first shot in July and 2nd shot in November is what it looks like. Which I can't say I'm exactly enthused about. And that's if I'm lucky.

2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Our neighborhood pool got filled yesterday, they only put out about 1/3 the furniture and it's socially distanced. My guess is we will have to sign up in advance of going to keep from overcrowding. But we should be able to swim!

3. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Our pool district @Runjedirun is having a meeting later this month about how the reservation system is going to work. My neighbor and I feel like there has to be regrettably a limit on how many times you can sign up for it per week/month since space will be limited and my guess is there will be a specific time for you to be there at and leave. I really don't see them letting people stay there all day like usual but they are opening so I guess is a good sign. It's very odd though right now here (and my guess everywhere) since every town is doing things differently from events to swimming pools. Like some towns here have announced that there will be no summer events like fairs and parades while others have said they plan on having them but with restrictions and a few are going full Florida saying they will be having everything as "normal" with one saying they won't even have a mask requirement at their town fall this summer. That will be interesting since the state mask mandate will be in effect by then.

CDC apparently will report that the so far the number of people who were fully vaccinated and had a breakthrough case was extremely small:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cdc-id...cinated-patients-11618490232?mod=hp_lead_pos7

Just another reason to get it except the MAGAers are still being stubborn. Poll today showed that 40% of Republicans still are not planning on getting it. Only good news? That is down slightly from a few months ago when it was 50% They just want to kill us all don't they?

Runjedirun likes this.
  4. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    We had at least two shouting matches by people during the microsecond our complex closed off the pool area (we're right next to it).
    There's been zero social distancing or requirements since at least September of last year. The pool area has been busier than I've ever seen it.

Pensivia likes this.
  5. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I got my first shot today

It came with a looney tunes band aid

GregMcP, Rew, darthcaedus1138 and 5 others like this.
  6. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I have tickets to an outdoor socially distanced concert in June. I'll be fully vaccinated and I can not wait for live music again! As far as the pool goes, expecting a neighborhood brawl over the rules, but I won't be in on the fight. I just do what I'm told.

7. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
  8. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    We keep @Runjedirun there is going to be a black market on poor chairs and stuff this summer as people will be wanting to go so bad LOL!

And @DarkGingerJedi I think that was expected all along as while he stated it's not certain, they along with the vaccine makers are getting like it will be a certainly. And from my understanding not only will it be much much easier to rollout the booster shots, Moderna is already started they are looking so they can add it into the flu shot therefore it could be an all inclusive shot as you get both your flu and COVID-19 booster shot at the same time. My hope is they will have a universal vaccine by next year so hopefully will only need that and be covered for quite a long time but my guess is that will need perhaps 1-2 years of boosters before that would be ready.

The cases here (Illinois) btw are stubbornly high as were averaging about 3,000 a cases day now but the continue trend up is hopefully maybe peaking but only about 25% of our population is fully vaccinated. We really won't see any relief my guess for another six weeks or so. This all just sucks!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Runjedirun and Juliet316 like this.
  9. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I mean, I suspected there would have to be some update. My question was when and how often. A year makes sense. I would hope that next gen covid vaccines might last longer, or if the disease is contained in the years to come.

I'm also glad they're getting this message out now. Because I can see it not going over well with the public. I can see some % willing to get this first round, and then becoming upset to learn they need to take annual boosters for X number of years. As long as those boosters are as easy to get as a flu shot, I think we'll be in good situation.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Big Pharma: get billions in government subsidies, use government research, lobby against releasing patents so the Global South can get vaccinated sooner, let the virus run rampant, oops looks like we'll need boosters forever!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  11. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Just saw Jim Jordan’s exchange with Dr. Fauci.

Luke02 likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As far as I’m concerned, anyone who lobbies against global patents especially for “but mah profits” reasoning has blood on their hands.

13. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    It is now after midnight here, which means the day of my second Pfizer shot has arrived. Appointment is at 11:30. I have to go to work in the afternoon, but beyond 5pm I have intentionally made no firm plans this evening or the entire weekend. My Dungeons and Dragons group is meeting for a game session Saturday evening (we've been meeting in person, socially distanced, with masks since September; that's been the majority of my "bubble"), but I told them three weeks ago that I was tentative for this session, so they're prepared for my absence (and the person who hosts at his townhome is also tentative due to final projects being due next week, so it might get canceled anyway).

14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

If it’s like most public pools I know, after a week or so being open it’s pretty empty most week days and evenings. Keep us posted please how it goes.

15. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    We have about 6 weeks until the pool opens, the weekend of Memoria Day. (Gosh my first shot tomorrow is really cutting it close!) The pool is only for the people living in my town home community, it's part of our dues to have the pool, so mostly it's not too crowded. Everyone here avoids the pool during the peak sun hours and it gets crowded after 4PM. Mostly because all the parents work, but I also think it has to do with being afraid of the sun giving us cancer. It's a nice sized pool for a town house community. They fill it up early because there's just so many pools to fill around here, they couldn't get to all of them if they waited until closer to Memorial Day.

16. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    [​IMG]

Dose Dos all done. Drew this on the thank you wall at the vax center.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Rew, Juliet316 , Runjedirun and 3 others like this.
  17. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    What a great idea to have a thank-you wall like that :)

18. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    Some data is coming out on “breakthrough” cases in the US.

Per the CDC, there have been 5800 cases of people testing positive for COVID-19 after being fully vaccinated... out of 75 million. 30% of these experienced no symptoms at all, while 7% of them were hospitalized. 74 fully vaccinated persons have died—again, out of 75 million vaccinated individuals. Literally one out of a million. (One of those deaths was an 80-year-old man right here in Columbia, SC who was vaccinated with Pfizer in late January and mid February, then became sick and died of COVID in late March. He also had other comorbidities.) There is no data yet on long COVID breakthrough cases (that I’m aware of).

While this is a sobering reminder that not even full vaccination is a guarantee against infection, hospitalization, or even death, still, the odds are vastly more in favor of those are vaccinated than those who are not.

Moral of the story: Get your shot, but realize you’re still not invincible so continue taking precautions (masking up, social distancing, etc.).

19. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    The common thing should be that any sort of treatment is not guaranteed, it's all risk management. If you can dramatically reduce the chances of something, that's good.

Same thing with things like "but if they had restrictions why do people still get COVID"... the whole point is reducing transmission, because if you do multiple things that reduce a risk (esp in something like this) they will compound and the net result is that the spread is dramatically curtailed. There's too many idiots running around convinced if something doesn't work perfectly then it might as well not work at all.

And for a numerical point, there's been 12,000 deaths in the last two weeks. If you were to figure that all 74 fully vaccinated people died in the lat two weeks, then to get something matching the current death toll, then that would be the equivalent of about 12 billion fully vaccinated Americans.

Final point is that if those that have gotten sick even with the vaccination represent those who didn't have an effective vaccination, their other protection would be not getting infected to begin with, and that comes with sufficient conditions that they're unlikely to be exposed, and a combination of distancing, masks, and vaccinations.

jcgoble3, Rew and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    9 hours after the second dose. Feeling fatigued; likely an effect of sleep deprivation (thanks to final projects at school, I've had at most five hours of sleep in any given night, and sometimes as little as three hours, for nearly the past week), but I can't rule out a combo with vaccine side effects either. I should get plenty of sleep tonight though. No other signs of side effects so far other than the expected soreness at the injection site.

This time around the shot was administered by a nursing student from the same university I attend. She was not nearly as fast or gentle as the older nurse I had three weeks ago. I didn't even feel the first one go in, but this one hurt quite a bit.

April 30 will be a double celebration: fully vaccinated status AND the end of the semester from hell. I'm looking forward to it.

darthcaedus1138, Rew, Luke02 and 2 others like this.
  21. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Depends on vaccine, but 9 hours would be early. Pfizer side effects didn't really start to hit me until about 12 hours after.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Got my pfizer jab 11 hours ago and it just hit like a hammer. Aches, slight chills. Tired as hell.

Rew and Luke02 like this.
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yea my grandmother who got her first dose a month ago won’t get her second until like June. And she’s in her late 80s with several health issues.

24. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    What a night. Didnt sleep much. Was aching and freezing. And my fever got up to 102.4 at 3am. Seems to have broken finally. Feel much better. Just have a headache now.

12 hours of hell.

jcgoble3, Rew, Fifi Kenobi and 2 others like this.
  25. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Sorry to hear that but side effects like that are a good thing.

Juliet316 , Rew, Runjedirun and 2 others like this.