main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars OPEN Paradoxical Echoes: An Original Trilogy Game (Always Accepting New Players)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Bravo, Sep 3, 2017.

1. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    IC: Natalia Markova
    Senior Officer Quarters, Darkest Night

The young navigator was curled up, as much as she could be in the confines of her bunk. The light of her datapad shined across her face as she slipped the holodisk into the port. It was in part her overwhelming curiosity that kept her awake, what had her superior officer been keeping a records about? The other part was, she didn't want to sleep. As much as her mind and body were calling out for it, she didn't want to close her eyes and relive that moment, the moment everything changed for her.

With the sound low she watched with rapt attention to the final message she would receive from her commanding officer.

He opened strangely or maybe it wasn't strange for the private log of a commanding officer.

"I hope, one day, she'll understand why she's here aboard the Darkest Night. And I hope---equally as much---that she'll forgive me. That they will all forgive me."

What was there to forgive, what was there to understand. She was a very qualified and skilled navigator She was nothing special, he didn't need to justify her presence on his ship. Or maybe he did. After mentioning her apparent heroics at Naval Station Validusia he went on to bring up secret orders. Orders that if known would jeopardize his position, and his life. What were they, these orders so secret that even the knowledge of them was dangerous. Once again she could feel that drive, that need to know to make sense of all the things going on around her. She knew a person to ask, someone that knew her.

She felt like a Dejarik piece that just realized that all it's the moves it's made had been dictated by a force much more powerful than it. That none of its actions were on its own will, all in service to the figure sitting behind them. What was she supposed to do with this revelation? Was it even that? She was a cog in the machine of the Empire, her will was that of the Emperor, her actions dictated by his whims through his officers. It was maybe one thing to understand this on some hypothetical level, it was another to know unequivocally, that the world was moving you, and not your own will. Not that she had much of one.

She had no ambitions, no goals, all she'd ever wanted to do was serve the Emperor to the best of her abilities. She never suspected or even thought about her particular skills being valuable or necessary. She was just a navigator, one of many in service to His Imperial Majesty. Or maybe she was just important to the ship, to the Commodore. That was still a special honor something she didn't think worthy of. Certainly not after failing him again and again when he selected her to join him on that away mission. He wanted to encourage to foster her innate talents. Now he would never get the chance, and she could go back to being just another cog in the machine.

Was this good, did she want to return to being an unnoticed being. It would certainly be better than being seen as broken, good for nothing. Again the curtain had been pulled back, and now she wished she could return to ignorance. To a time before she knew any of this, before she took a life, before she ever set foot on that forsaken planet.

"We'll need someone who can fly a Star Destroyer like a starfighter."

There was that line again, piloting like a starfighter. That wasn't what she was doing. She had to think hours ahead, a ship of the sizes she was trained on required time and careful calculations. This was thoughtful accurate movements and considered math not wild turns and jukes. It was just that she could do the calculations faster than some others. That didn't make her special.

A shiver ran through her recalling the words of Queen Natasha:

"Looks strong, Intelligent. Independent."

She shook her head. No she wasn't any of those things. Strong, she was falling apart, Intelligent, no she just knew her job that was it, Independent, she never thought of herself as such. She was just doing what he job asked of her. To guide her ship safely through any situation while not endangering their mission. She knew her job and did her job, that was it. She wasn't special.

A later entry made her even more uncomfortable. It wasn't the lost of the Fury, the Raider-class corvette that got to her. It was the praise and commendation for herself. She was slowly realizing that by trying to do her best, by putting all her skills into her work, she had gotten the attention of her superiors. So much so that they were putting her forward for medals. It was never something that she wanted, she never needed thanks or recognition for what she did. Her mind didn't know how to take this. Her father had never fostered in her a sense of superiority. He stressed good work for the sake of it, of giving your best for the Empire and the Emperor not out of want of recognition but, of doing your best for the government that protected the galaxy.

But, there was something worming its way inside her, was it pride? As soon as she felt it she quashed it. She was just a servant of the Empire, not better than anyone else.

Though she couldn't help but, feel a bit of nostalgia. A wistful longing for the past, when she was just a navigator, not a killer, not a broken cog, just a servant in the right place at the right time. She knew what she was then and what to do. Now with visions of violence that was always so far away in the front of her mind, she didn't know what to do.

Closing her datapad she tried to sleep. Closing her eyes and putting her head on her pillow. In the silence that surrounded her she could hear them, screams, howls of pain, the chip of blasters, the creaking of metal, the crackling roaring fires. She was back there, in the vehicle after it had turned over, as she was dragged clear. Who was that...it didn't matter. She had to run. Her heart pounded in her chest, sweat formed on her forehead. Time collapsed and she was there again, finger hovering over the button that would end untold lives.

Snap, crack, shatter, and her eyes opened, her breath short.

She knew she wasn't going to get much sleep tonight.

If any.

TAG: @Bravo

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Bravo likes this.
  2. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    IC: Elena Shan
    Army Quarters, Darkest Knight, Hyperspace

Elena gave a curious look, before she stood up slowly. "Yes sir." She said confidently, feeling a little better. She gave him a smart salute. "Thank you sir. I'll do my best to aid the destruction of the Rebels the best I can. Good soldiers follow orders sir." She smiled a little at him and turned around, climbing back into her bed and turning to face the wall. Elena sighed slightly, and carefully pulled out her holopad, dimming the lights to zero and going onto her secure channel, knowing that the best security was keeping it out of the average Imperial Secuirty's Reach.

Re: Sergeant Erik Shan
    7th Fighter Regiment, Dantooine

Erik,

I hope your new station fits you well. I have arrived with my new outfit and I am looking forward to earning their trust. I hope to take the fight to the Rebels soon, and I hope you are taking care of yourself. Have you met anyone? Are you being treated well? Let me know as soon as your ground side.

Love your sister,

Elena Shan

Elena smiled as she sent send, and then paused; typing out another letter on her datapad, heart hammering in her chest as she thought of the days events.

Re: Grandfather
    The Senate, Courscant

Grandfather,

I have arrived as instructed. I found Rebel spies and dealt with them accordingly, but there is something else you must know about the leadership on this vessel. It is very important to the loyalty of The Empire. I hope that you are well, please send my best to the family. Good Soldiers Follow Orders After All.

You're Loving Granddaughter,

Elena

Elena smiled as it sent, and shut of her datapad. She frowned and then slowly drifted off to sleep, trying to think of better things.

Tag: @Bravo

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Bravo likes this.
  3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    IC: Chief Medical Officer Debgate, Flight Lieutenant Baille Harte, Command Medical Bay, Darkest Night Star Destroyer

The Surgeon-Commander observed the workings of the medical equipment keeping Englewood's heart rate monitor beeping away at a steady, consistent pace. But it was all for nought; the man was brain dead.

The light is on, the wheel is turning, but the Corellian Sand Hamster is dead. She thought this, rather than saying it aloud with Captain Totter next to her.

Some Imperials could be touchy about things like this.

"Sylox." The Captain began reminiscing about one of his operations from the Clone Wars. A rescue mission to a secret CIS facility, and the discovery of...what, an artificial poison that he had subsequently failed to find within Republic and Imperial records when he had gone looking later. "When we landed back at base, I had intelligence officers waiting for me and my team. They took what we had retrieved and they told us we never saw anything. Whenever I researched Synox from then on, nothing ever comes up. Its like it doesn't exist. So either the Empire is hiding it---because it really is classified---or what I saw never happened."

"Or, they could have changed the name." She acknowledged.

She crossed her arms in discomfort and confusion as she tried to wrap her mind around the matter. There were plenty of venomous and poisonous animals on her homeworld of Norrath, but no-one had a poison that their race had made.
    The nearest equivalent, possibly, might be the evil counterpart to her own usually more useful healing powers, such as a Shadow Knight's Harm Touch.

Half turning to her superior, she asked, "Sylox, you say? I'm already trawling records, but I shall add this-"

Just then, the public address called for Totter to attend the bridge, and indicated a problem in one of the mess halls.

She felt a twinge of concern for the young stormtrooper that she had commandeered, and despatched to a mess hall, earlier. There were several aboard the Darkest Night. The chances of her being involved at this one...

Both Totter and Chief Jengleheimer reacted to the calls, whilst at the same time, the FX-7 started calling out an alert regarding the commodore's condition, citing an unexpected thermal spike.

The blonde Shaman had had days like this. No sabretooth tigers for hours, then three at once.

"Thermal reaction, where?" She asked, already scanning her readouts, but willing to accept the droid's earlier answer.

"Cranial cavity, Doctor."

Debgate sidestepped to an angled monitor screen, whilst her neice stayed over by the wall, several metres to her left, between two empty beds, rubbing her towel into her hair.

The repeater screen was definitely showing a heat and pressure buildup in Englewood's skull, as well as something else.

"Not only is the substance eating the brain, but it is excreting a completely new chemical as well. Alright, alright, gimme a minute." She paused, thinking intently, pinching her chin between thumb and forefinger. "We need to buy some time. We are going to have to relieve the pressure, prep-"

BANG!

The confines of the medbay made the sound louder, and it was immediately followed by subtle whoosh and plink sounds around the place, Debgate ducking behind her station, feeling as if something had passed through her hair.

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

She slowly peeked over it into the grey fog of fire retardent that the medical droid was spraying judiciously onto the area where Englewood's head had been.

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

Looked like everything above the poor man's lower jaw had exploded, taking the end of his bed with it.

Coming back up, and staring at the mess, the shocked medic could only breathe, "By the Tribunal..."

"Drokk me sideways."

Deb glanced over at the clearly equally stunned Harte. "I don't know what that means, but it certainly sounds apt." Shakily, she grabbed at a portable medical recorder, and lifted it to her lips. "Commodore Peter Englewood, declared deceased at," She read of the date, then checked her wrist chrono for the correct time, and dictated that into the voice pickup as well.

"Seriously, you can stop with the extinguisher. He, uh, it's out."

Pffff.

By that time, the Physician Assistant and wild-eyed Nurse had run up to join her from the break room, arriving on the far side of the shimmering isolation field, the former enquiring if everyone was okay, and the latter asking what had happened.

Debgate waved her recorder vaguely towards what was left of the victim, as a piece of the light fitting in the ceiling, dropped between them. "Ta-take a wild sh-shot in the d-dark." Her voice shook. "I...I better inform Captain Totter."

To be continued...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Bravo likes this.
  4. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    IC: Jengleheimer Voss 'aka Jingle'
    Darkest Night, Hallway outside Command Medical Bay

Listening to the man on the other end say his peace was not an easy thing.

"Master Chef, I'll make sure security understands the urgency of the matter. In light of that, see what you can negotiate with them. Its your mess hall, their crime scene. I think a common ground can be had. With security concerns, you'll be reaching out to me for the immediate future. Security Chief Shinzon was reassigned on a urgent timetable by Imperial Outer Rim High Command. His return is unknown at this time. Steadfast out."

Now, that was the senior lieutenant, and that man was going to get an interesting meal was all he could think. It was late, the nightshifts rushes were more subdued. And this man wanted him to try and talk directly with the security guards on post? Was not going to take five minutes to speak with his people that he just admitted were under his purview? As acting Security Chief and was the man's second before now?

He pulled out his pad and typed out two quick messages. One to his chefs in the affected kitchen.

"Have security in charge call me asap. Will try to get you back to modified access so we are not short a full Mess Hall tomorrow morning."

Second was to all his chefs and droids. "Do not serve Lieutenant Enoch Steadfast until the Mess Hall is either back to full operations or standing order is redacted. He may eat instant or private food stores he purchases, but shall not be served with the rest of the crew. If pressed 'The present situation has raised concerns for contamination for what could be his unique dietary needs.'"

With a snort of derision he made his way to his quarters. He needed to cook a souffle and put on some jizz or scat music. Turn on the sun lamp and try to breath.

Sith-I-5 and Bravo like this.
  5. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    OOG: I will be getting to tags ASAP tomorrow night (Friday). Its been a busy week with wiki updates, research for the next steps into the game, math tutoring, and....work, family life, being a husband, being a parent, getting 3 hours of sleep last night and feeling the affects tonight, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. [face_beatup]

IC: Master Sergeant DW-418121 (Animal)
    Second Squad, Joker Platoon; Army Quarters, Darkest Night

The Master Sergeant couldn't sleep, as the memories always came whenever he closed his eyes, and he tossed and turned in his bunk, stuck in his own nightmare and unable to escape.....

Operation Home Base, 1 1/2 years ago, Expansion Region....

Animal emptied his last rounds down the long dark brick corridor of the abandoned & forgotten castle, the familiar click, click of exhausted ammunition being a dreadful thought, as he heard a distance scream of a Stormtrooper's last breathe of defiance and death out of visual sight and into the blackness beyond. He could have used his helmet sensors to enhance his vision, but right now, he had no stomach to look at the troopers they had just lost and the hellish monster that had taken them---and most of their team---down.

He cursed in his helmet and threw the T-21 to the ground as he grabbed his sidearm and took a look around him as he knelt on the ground in front of a recently caved in section of wall and door, preventing their only escape out of this bad dream. What remained of the special team of 2 squads was here, each of the other 4 men left looking as exhausted and mentally strained as Animal thought and probably looked himself, despite the helmets covering their faces.

"Ammo check?" the then Sergeant First Class asked through labored breathes. He could see shakes of several heads and several troopers either tapping weapons to indicate their last rounds or passing out any spare energy clips anyone else had left. One trooper were dropping his spent blaster pistol and going for his combat knife.

Still, they had the two Imperial scientists in the middle of the ragtag squad, still carrying the small armored chest that they had come in with. Except, this time coming back out (instead of going in), there was something in that chest of enough importance---apparently---to cost the lives of 11 other Imperial Stormtroopers. Through a very thin crack in the seal between the armor body and lid of the chest, Animal could see a faint glow of red, the brightness of that faint glow dimming and brightening as if the hardened object inside were alive.

A deathly chill ran up Animal's spine and he turned his attention back to that long, foreboding corridor, where the upper half of a Stormtrooper's body appeared from the distant blackness and thrown down the corridor and skid and bounced down the corridor, its bloody ravaged half corpse sliding to a stop some feet beyond Animal.

"Anyone have a grenade left?" the sergeant asked rhetorically as the Cimmerian Hell Rider appeared from the blackness beyond, his armored boots echoing through the corridor with every heavy step he took towards the stormtroopers and scientists. A sword was in one hand, a mace in the other, both bloodied with recent kills.

The thing, as Animal called it, stopped half way down the corridor and howled a ear popping scream that could make a man's soul cry. The ground, ceiling, and walls shook, dust & dirt falling from the neglected castle structure all around and a few more stones fell off the walls & ceilings, once again illustrating their blocked escape.

"Form up!" Animal ordered as he signaled for one trooper (with the knife) to stay with the scientists as a last line of defense as the other three formed up with Animal in a firing line, "We stop it here!"

Finally the thing stopped screaming.

[Joker Platoon, this is Sentinel Landing Craft One Eight Nine. We are inbound to your location, ETA two minutes. The electrical storm in the atmosphere is slowing our progress.]

The voice came over Animal's helmet comm. The First Sergeant responded, "Sentinel One Eight Nine, this is Joker Platoon. We don't have two minutes!"

Then the thing started walking slowly towards the line of Stormtroopers.

Animal barked, "FIRE!"

Then the Hell Rider started running towards them.....

Animal snapped awake, sweat running down his face, his hands shaking. His heart was pounding as he looked around the darkened quarters. Aside from the glow from the refreshers, no one else seemed awake. He threw his legs over the side of the bed and ran a shaking hand down his face to wipe the sweat off. He looked at his chronometer. It would be morning in 2 hours. He took a cigarette and lighter from the corner of his bunk and tried to light it with his shaking hands.

Sith it! Animal cursed mentally as he finally willed himself with one hand to stop the other one from shaking. He finally lit the blasted cigarette and took a long drag off it, reflecting on that nightmare. But it wasn't the only memory of that hell. No, it was just one of many memories of many different nightmares from Operation Home Base. After a few more drags, he put the cigarette out and went back to bed.

TBC

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  6. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    OOG: @Sith-I-5 You know the routine, we'll retro post the meeting in the ready room to these morning hours posts. :)

IC: Rick Johnson & Rudy Ash

General Mess Hall, Entertainment Deck, Darkest Night

Rick took a stab at his food, looking around at the relative quietness of the GenMess. It was normal for any day before oh four hundred hours, but that wasn't suppose to be the case according to the rumors. While the TIE Pilot didn't object to his usual routine of coffee & food before the rush being disrupted, nor seeing familiar faces, he was surprised all the same. Rumor had it the Big Chef (Voss) wasn't too happy about how security had handled things after the shootout. Apparently the top chef had given the Second Officer, Steadfast, a taste of that frustration. Rumors were rumors, but the void of Shinzon's sudden transfer were being felt by some harder then others.

"So," Johnson inquired across the table, "Hear anything?"

"Nope," Randy replied, looking up briefly as he read a datapad with the galaxy's latest news as he took a sip from his coffee, "And don't care either."

"How do you not care?" Rick asked, extending his arms in emphasis, "Its the biggest news on the Star Destroyer right now!" Rick swallowed the chunk of scrambled egg he had in his mouth as he spoke earlier, before adjusting his comment, "Correction, second to the Commodore in the med bay, the security chief being transferred, the deployment ending on Lepsawn One dash Nine and the troops coming back, the blaster fight in the mess hall, and us being suddenly ordered back to Javin. So," Rick counted on his fingers, "Its like seventh in line of important news items. But still, that's impressive in a pretty impressive line of news worthy items."

Rudy looked up at the starfighter pilot with an apathetic look on his face, "And this is why I don't listen to you, Rick. You're like a school fem stuck in a man's body. You remind me of the teenage fem holos that show fems having pillow fights at a all-fem sleep over with makeup and dress parties. Who does that in real life?"

"What's wrong with that?" Rick asked.

Rudy shook head as if to clear his ears to make sure he heard what he thought he heard, "Wrong with what?"

"Sleepovers?"

"Oh by the Force!" Rudy said with annoyance as he drowned his remaining coffee and got up for another one, "If only this was Corellian Reserve and not a cup of joe to wake me up!"

TAG Anyone

Trooper Barracks, Darkest Night

Animal stared at the blackness of the half emptied cup of coffee. Oh four hundred hours. In another hour, troopers would be waking up to start the daily routine at oh six hundred. Animal relished these early morning hours, where graveyard shift was still on and the majority of the Star Destroyer's beings and droids were fast asleep or charging still. Aside from a handful of late night owls, the warship's corridors and various rooms were emptied of awake personnel. This lack of activity also meant that most mess halls had a similar quiet feeling to the awake at this time of hour. Despite it being a trooper mess hall, the place was empty aside from a few sleepless souls here and there. Troopers of the Empire religiously liked their sleep and most stretched waking up as close to after oh five hundred as possible. By oh six hundred, you were expected at one hundred percent for the rest of the day.

The crime scene was cleaned up several hours ago. Something about the top chef threatening the Second Officer with eating in the mess hall with the crew.

Eh.

The Master Sergeant took a sip of his coffee and put the cup down again.

None of his business.

Today would be brutal: cleaning of weapons & armor, repair of weapons & armor, and inventory check of weapons & armor. That didn't include repairing and cleaning of ground vehicles and other ground assets, as well as post action debriefings, combat reviews, health screenings, and cleaning of the whole Trooper Barracks, from corner to every corner.

It was the usual routine for a post deployment. But that didn't mean Animal had to like it.

The stormtrooper continued his quiet morning ritual of staring into the coffee cup and enjoying what quiet and warmth he had before the start of the day.

TAG Anyone

Sith-I-5 and Mitth_Fisto like this.
  7. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    IC: Commodore Valentino Mazzanti
    Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle, Javin Oversector Command & Administrative Complex

Valentino whistled as the shuttle broke through the clouds and into the blue sunny sky, as the Javin Oversector Command & Administrative Complex sat far below, right now a growing dot as the shuttle descended from the Vigil-class Corvette in low planetary orbit above.

"That place is huge!" The Commodore said in awe.

"Just wait until you see it up close," the Stormtrooper captain, Kurt Stein, said, "It'll make you thing you're in paradise and not a military complex."

"The rewards of serving the Emperor faithfully," Chief of Security Gorz Richter said matter-of-factly, "And saving his life."

"Sirs, you will need to sit down and strap in," the co-pilot said from the cockpit to the three officers huddled behind the cockpit to get a view, "We're beginning our final approach."

The three officers nodded as two TIE Strikers rocketed towards the cockpit and then broke to either side, forming up on either flanking side of the shuttle and giving the shuttle pilots instructions over the comm board. The three officers followed instructions and found their seats again, securing the crashing webbing back in place.

"Its said to be the Jewel of the Outer Rim," Stein said, "A lot of Stormtroopers I worked with would kill their mother to get a transfer here to the Security Detachment & Defense Force. Its like a holiday twenty-four seven. Best bunks. Best food. Best entertainment off shift. Just don't anger Moff Starski and you'll avoid a untimely training accident."

"Beauty often hides the darkest of terrors," Doctor Van Halfin The Third said matter-of-fact, the only officer to not get up and stayed with the enlisted stormtroopers in their seats.

Landing Pad, Javin Oversector Command & Administrative Complex

The wind wiped around the exposed elegant landing pad as a honor guard of 12 Novatroopers stood 6 to either side of the shuttle's landing ramp. At the end of that honor guard were two regular Stormtroopers flanking Investigator Hilick Soal & Grand Admiral Thrawn. After military protocol and introductions, Valentino was the first to speak as the delegation headed towards the interior landing structure and the turbolifts, the two stormtroopers following them silently from behind in flanking formation. Captain Stein and the Stormtrooper transfers took a different path, leaving the officers alone.

"We meet again, Hilick," Valentino said, adding, "I can't say unexpectedly."

"As always Valentino," the Investigator replied, "There is always more then meets the eye."

"I'm pleasantly surprised to see you here Thrawn and a Grand Admiral none the less?" Van Halfin stated, "Last I heard, you were a Admiral and being transferred to Lothal to deal with those Spectres."

"I'm assuming Lord Vader informed you?" the Grand Admiral paused, then smiled, and added, "The Emperor saw fit to promote me. As for Lothal, I am headed there immediately afterward to deal with them. The Emperor wanted me to provide....information for your little adventure. The Unknown Regions can be quite the unforgiving place."

Two more Stormtroopers appeared from another direction as the group reached the turbolift. Soal looked at Richter, "Security Chief Richter, you may join the Stormtrooper transfers in the Mess Hall. The Darkest Night should be arriving within a few hours. I would want to give you as much time as possible to familiarize yourself to your new security personnel."

"I'm not attending the meeting?" Richter asked, put off by the revelation.

"No," Soal said flatly, "You're security. You know the basics of the mission and enough to accomplish you're assigned mission. The rest is for these two officers' ears only."

Richter kept his tongue and straightened, "Understood, Investigator."

With the security chief gone with his two stormtrooper escorts, Soal turned to the group and extended a hand towards the turbolift, "This way, please. Moff Starski is expecting us."

TBC

8. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    IC: Security Stormtrooper Du'ra Cell "DUR-2207", Trooper Barracks Mess Hall
    Timeline: Previous evening

Upon entering the Mess Hall, and walked in amongst turned over tables, still smoking from blaster damage; and found multiple deceased, and two surviving friendlies, including the familiar Trooper Church, not looking the happiest that she had ever seen him.

"Do you have a name trooper?" The human-looking stranger in her black stormtrooper uniform, enquired. "I don't like to think of people who fight so willingly for the Empire as a number."

Du'ra had her break out some ID, examining it and her orders before handing them back, welcoming her, without a hint of conscious irony, to the Darkest Night.

"You are the first to arrive. I am Lieutenant Elena Shan."

"Lieutenant. I'm Du'ra Cell. I've heard all the battery jokes." The security femme took off her helmet and hooked it to her belt, while the medics knelt down besides the supine bodies and checked them over. "Church." She nodded at her colleague, then looked down at the grinning stormtrooper laying at Church's feet, with bloody saliva on the deck near him, like he had spat some up after the dentist had told him to have a rinse. He looked Mirialan, going by the sickly skin shade and facial tattoos.

Shan glanced at Trooper Church. "I'm afraid we had some Rebels claim to be ISB agents."

"Rebels?" Cell echoed this with surprise. "How the heck did they get up here?"

"When we questioned them they pulled their blasters on us." Elena paused, then said defensively. "We defended ourselves."

"And how." Du'ra nodded in agreement, looking around the floor, and groaning aloud upon sighting the deceased Trooper Snow. "Sorry, Church." She knew how close the two were. They had joined together, bad boys for life.

Church nodded back to her, "That's about it. But these guys," Church moved his hand to encompass the field of dead hostiles, "Are the same ISB crew we checked in a few hours ago."

She raised an eyebrow at this, recalling herself tagging along with the Chief Medical Officer when she had tried to look into the freighter down in the Main Hangar, only to be warned off by that disgusting deck officer - her expression soured as the thought of him, brought the sting of acidic bile up her throat - that the craft was Imperial Security Bureau, and above their pay grade.

"
    Just as the old Ryn woman said." She murmured, thinking back to a fortune teller she had indulged once.

"Nothing was flagged on their orders then. Their backgrounds cleared," Church shook his head, as the adrenaline clearly started to wear off and he slumped into a nearby chair, his body language clearly showing a man at a loss of words, "I just don't get it."

"We'll have to track them back to their destination." She decided aloud, though that would likely be Security Chief Shinzon's call. "Speaking of which, where in Flamewind are Security?" She fully turned round towards the entrance that she had entered through, just as a dozen Navy Troopers charged in. "Where in Hapes have you guys been?" She demanded hotly. "Were you all at the other end of the ship?"

"What in the Walking Dead Nights are they doing in my Mess Hall!"

The blurted comlink call had her and the Navy men sweeping weapons round to cover the startled and suddenly visible kitchen staff armed with various cooking equipment: butcher knife, bread roller, and another with a frying pan.

"Andrews!" One of the security men must have known the name of a cook. "Don't frakkin' do that!" However, as the comlink went unanswered, he gestured with the business end of his blaster carbine. "But, do that, answer...answer the comlink."

The Chef cursed, reaching for the comlink, "Andrews here. Ah....we're all alive."

DUR-2207 lowered her E-11 and slid it into its' scabbard, whilst the security troopers spread out, securing the crime scene and the prisoner, getting their yellow tape out and started taking witness statements and holos.

She headed back to the General Medical Bay on Deck Four to pick up her original assignment, and was gone before Joker Platoon's Second Squad turned up to collect Lieutenant Shan.

[​IMG]

Du'ra felt that she ought to brief the Surgeon-Commander in person, that the ISB crew that she had started to check on, had been the ones involved in this firefight.

Tag: To be continued, however for FYIs: @Bravo @TheSilentInfluence @Mitth_Fisto (for Andrews)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Mitth_Fisto and Bravo like this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    IC: Surgeon-Commander Debgate, Command Medical Bay, Darkest Night
    Timeline: previous night

Debgate had not wanted to see Captain Totter with incomplete information, so had had to stay to tie up loose ends and had moved into her adjacent office to examine all relevant information in Commodore Englewood's last moments, and copy the various sensor and holocam feeds onto a secured datapad, a spare one that she did not mind losing if either Totter or Levric, or even Shinzon, decided to hold onto it.

She had called in other medics and droids from other bays to help with the cleanup, as the isolation field had not been a particle field, as evidenced by Master Chef Jengleheimer just walking through it.

She could have strengthened it, but as she had planned to go it to open up Englewood's skull to relieve that pressure, she had not done so.

Debgate really wished that she had, as bone and brain fragments had gone, ballistically, all over the place, even nicking Baille's left cheekbone, drawing blood.

The poor girl was being kept in the medbay overnight for observation. Not a happy little bunny.

In fact, quite an irate little bunny, She thought, allowing herself a brief smile at the young pilot's protests.

No-one else had been hit, but she had kept everyone from leaving whilst they were checked over, and pieces collected from the walls, floor, light fittings, and gouged out of mattresses, then dismissed them from her medbay once they had the All Clear.

Her comlink went off, the doctor sighing with frustration. Now what? She pulled the C1 device up, and thumbed it on. "Medical."

"This is Captain Totter. Please report to the Commodore's Ready Room immediately."

"Yes sir. On the way. I have to speak to you, anyway."

She turned off the comlink, and quickly changed out of her scrubs and into a fresh black uniform, belted tunic and pressed wrap-skirt, pulled on her boots, patted her tunic pockets, ensuring that she had her code cylinders, comlink, Fire Beetle Eye; then grabbing up the datapad, glanced across to Harte's bed whilst striding purposefully to the exit.

The doors slid aside at her approach, and as she emerged into the hallway, a Navy Trooper moving to attention at his guard post outside.

Her stormtrooper called to her from her right. Her hands were holding up a tray with flimsi sandwich bags and insulated coffeine cups with plastic lids.

Debgate stopped, and turned towards her with a frown. "Du'ra, are you okay? I hope you weren't involved in that barracks trouble earlier."

"Not while it was going on, Ma'am. But I responded to it, as I had only just been there." A serious look entered her eyes, and she added, "We have to talk."

"I have to see Captain Totter, so walk with me." Deb' turned and continued on her way, waiting for Cell to fall into step beside her.

"Can we take the stairs?" Dura nodded towards a doorway that led to the stairwell that went the height of the command tower. "It's only three flights up to the Bridge."

Once they were inside the echoing sterile environs of the metal stairwell, Du'ra lowered her voice to whisper, "
    That ISB freighter down in the Main Hangar."

This brought the Barbarian to a halt, three steps above the 19-year-old. She turned to stare down at her. "What about it?"

"
    The crew from it were Rebels!" She whispered harshly up at the taller blonde. "The firefight broke out in the trooper mess hall when they got challenged for identifications and orders."

"Why in Hapes did that not occur in the Hangar?" Debgate asked, but it was more rhetorical. "You told Security that we tried to check out the vessel that they arrived on, of course."

"Negative. I wanted to give you the head's up first."

"Okay. Fine, good girl. I will have to brief Captain Totter." She regarded the armoured femme. "You know, you are very useful to have around, Trooper Cell. If I request that you be officially seconded to my command, would that be okay with you?"

Dura shrugged. "Sure. A change is as good as a rest."

"Good girl. I will raise it with Totter."

"What shall I do with this stuff?" Du'ra jiggled the tray of food.

"Well, the Away Team has dispersed now. You can leave sets with the trooper guarding the CMB, then at Flight Lieutenant Harte's bedside, one in my office, then anything left, you can take back to your barracks. Dismissed."

The Chief Medical Officer watched the stormtrooper head back out of the stairwell, then hitched up her skirt enough to give herself the freedom of movement to double-time it up the stairs, straightening herself before stepping out onto the Bridge level, and heading through those guarded blast doors, and along to the
    Commodore's Ready Room.

She nodded and beamed down at Julius Petrov, who seemed to be in charge of that shift. "Not seen you in ages, Wing Commander! How have you been? Please can you let Captain Totter know that I am here as requested?"

10. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    OOG: Apparently, I'm a bit rusty. Getting back to old form GMing is a journey I suppose; @galactic-vagabond422 & @TheSilentInfluence , I forgot to mention to you two something of what we may take for granted here ( @Laine_Snowtrekker , @Sith-I-5 , @Mitth_Fisto , @Bardan_Jusik when he was here, and @greyjedi125 when he played our last two games). Whenever someone puts Tag Anyone, especially myself if I'm involved in several tags at once as GM, it typically means: 1) An open tag for the game or 2) The GM is transitioning the current storyline to the next phrase.

In the case I'm referencing with the last tags---which I should have been more clear, I apologize----I was transitioning the game to the morning time frame. So both of your current set of tags are there in the last post. However, as always, you're welcome to start your player(s) anywhere and do a likewise tag anyone posts. I'm sorry for the lack of clarity.

Oh, before I forget. While @Sith-I-5 held a more official role in doing so as the Assistant Game Master (along with @greyjedi125 ) our last two games, Intervention (2009-2013) and Echoes (2013-2016), Sith typically slides himself into my tags if he sees I'm running around like crazy with tags or DRL circumstances. If you see Sith responding to a tag for me, its alright and tag back with him. Once this game starts growing with more players (which I think it will, we have a solid reputation over 9 plus years), I can only imagine Sith taking a more official Assistant Gaming Master role if he wants it. But that's up to him.

*******************************************************************************************************

IC: Air Commodore Julius Petrov /
    Captain Duke P. (Patrick) Totter
    Bridge / Ready Room, Darkest Night

Previous night.....

Petrov nodded to the chief medical officer, "Yes, it has been more then several weeks worth of rotations," He turned to the comm officer and instructed him to relay the information. When it was relayed and confirmation given, Julius said to Debgate, "He's all yours, chief."

When Debgate entered, Duke was finishing up a conversation with Brigadier General Alexey Vasiliev, who sat across the desk from him. Duke stood up first to greet Debgate, the stormtrooper general a few seconds afterward. After introductions, all three of them sat down.

"Before we get an update from Doctor Debgate on Commodore Englewood's health, I have to brief both of you on our current circumstances, which are a bit unusual, even considering the Commodore's recent health complications. First and foremost, by midday tomorrow, we'll be over Javin. Command has ordered us there. General Vasiliev will be taking temporary command of ship security in the morning, after he completes post-action reports on ground operations on Lepsawn 1-9. Chief of Security Shinzon has been transferred on urgent orders; his orders were need to know only, so I don't know for what. Senior Lieutenant Steadfast is holding down security operations until the morning. I've been partly briefed on a security issue in the Mess Hall of the Trooper Barracks, but I have yet to received a substantial update.

"As for Javin, I've been updated on several changes. First---Doctor Debgate---you are to transfer Commodore Englewood and all relative health information regarding the commanding officer to Javin Oversector Command. They have an advanced medical team on standby to care for the Commodore. In light of that information, however, it seems that the Admiralty has different opinions on Commodore Englewood's chances of continued effective command after the health incident and we will be getting a new commanding officer, effective immediately. Although, privately, I wonder if Peter's independent away team operations on Lepsawn 1-9 had some factor into their decisions. Regardless, our new commanding officer is Commodore Valentino Mazzanti; he's well schooled, fought in the Clone Wars and the Western Reaches Pacification Operations, and is socially connected with the elite of the Empire. He's no admiral son's promotion, that's for sure. The last 14 years, he's been mostly with the Imperial Military Department of Advanced Weapons Research---a few isolated starship commands sprinkled in for good measure---but most of his work has been classified. He's commanded both a Venator-class and Imperial-class Star Destroyer before, so this won't be his first lap around the sun. As such, I would not take his command here as just another officer. His resume dictates otherwise. With the new commanding officer, we're receiving new orders, which I have not been briefed on, other then Commodore Mazzanti will have them for us. Considering the Commodore's resume and what research I can pull up on the man, I'm assuming we're getting reassigned to something more worthy of the Darkest Night's abilities other then playing cops and robbers.

"Speaking of abilities," Duke directed his attention to the general solely with a smile on his face, "Joker Platoon has a new platoon leader, direct from the 501st itself, a Captain Kurt Stein. And your legion has new transfers to cover your losses," Duke's intended good news for the brigadier general didn't seem to be that good, he noticed, as the general's face was sour, "Is there a problem, General Vasiliev?"

"No, sir," the man replied gruffly, then hesitated as if weighing his next words, and added, "Permission to speak freely, sir?"

"Granted," Duke said.

"Sir, no one gets transferred out of the 501st. Ever. Rumor has it you either retire there or get killed in action. Lord Vader doesn't allow the best troopers in the galaxy to leave his command. Its the best Legion in the Empire. We, the Death's Whisper, may be in running for the top five legions, but we're still a stepping stone to the 501st. The 501st is the dream post for any stormtrooper worth their salt. If this Captain Stein is coming here, he's coming here because Lord Vader wants him here. And the first question to ask is why?"

Duke shared a look with Debgate, then sat back in the chair, releasing a sigh of foreboding. He looked off to the tunnel of hyperspace outside the viewport for a long moment before turning his attention back to the two officers, his voice much somber then it had been, "We're also getting a new security chief, Gotz Richter, and a science officer, Doctor Van Halfin The Third," Duke looked to Debgate, "Doctor, I believe you've probably heard of him," Duke sighed, looking at the general briefly before turning his attention between both officers, "He's from Lord Vader's personal staff."

Vasiliev made a notable sigh of disgust at the last bit of information of Vader's personal staff.

Duke raised his hands in defense, "I don't like it any better then you do General," the captain replied in equal frustration. But was he supposed to do? His hands were tied by the admiralty. Orders were orders, unless he wanted to risk a court martial. Which was out of the question for such a silly thing as personnel transfers. Personnel transfers, a thousand a day, were common place among any military and even more so among a military as big as the Empire's, reaching into the tens of thousands a day. "But we have our orders. We all do. I guess this all tells us more then we wanted to know about our next assignment. Between now and tomorrow afternoon," Duke looked at both officers, "You are my highest placed officers in places of practical authority in your chosen professional military careers. As such, we need to act like it, all of us. By tomorrow, either of us---even me---could be given new orders and transferred. I'm under no illusion that I am here because of Englewood. He salvaged my career. And now Englewood, most likely, is looking at forced retirement at worse, a transfer to a ammunition depot at best. And with him, my career could very well be over. Until that point, however, we all have a job to do. And I'm telling both of you all of this because, for the sake of the men and women under our command and the glorious history of the Darkest Night itself---if I am transferred to another assignment---someone has to know what is happening. What's about to happen. I was the suppose to be the only one with knowledge of these orders, until the new Commodore arrived. Now, I am at risk of violating orders myself. And you two are in positions that, most likely, won't get transferred like mine. They need a doctor, a good doctor. And you're it Doctor Debgate in my book and I hope theirs. And General, they wouldn't transfer a new platoon leader from the 501st just to transfer the whole legion out somewhere else. They'd transfer the legion first. And your record---and that of the legion---says its the type of hard hitting legion this assignment needs, whatever that assignment is.

"While I can't tell you to go against orders, I can ask you---as a career professional and as a brother-in-arms---to keep open ears. But also, an open mind," the acting commanding officer took a breath, then looked at Debgate, "I sure hope, Doctor, you can give me good news about the Commodore. I'd hate to have to write his family. We need some good news to end this meeting."

TAG @Sith-I-5

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Sith-I-5 likes this.
  11. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Trooper Barracks, The Darkest Night

It was routine for Elena. She woke up early, she nearly always did. Probably a habit from when she served on the front lines, always keeping one ear open and her rifle by her side. But it was harder to break even now. When Elena had been on Courscant, the first time she had been there after Onderon, almost a year ago now, she had spent the first night marvelling at the fact that she had a real bed, three meals; and no one to tell her to take cover because the Rebels were coming. The second night she had spent wandering the halls, wondering just how a place could be so quiet and yet it wasn't. The nightmares got worse and then better, but they never really faded.

Elena was the one of the first one's in the fresher, feeling better when she was clean and had a fresh uniform on. She quickly made her bed, and straightened out the few belonging's she brought with her, the rest were on Courscant for safe keeping, attaching the now clean dagger to her hip once more. I feel safer when I have this. Elena thought to herself, before she brought her rifle down to check it. It was a standard Imperial issued E-11 sniper rifle, and the tiny notches in it's barrel reminded Elena of how many Rebels she had killed so far, the marks made with her dagger after every battle. She made sure it was clear, and locked the safely back on before placing back in one of her bags, securing it with a code.

Then Elena lifted herself up and sat on the bed, remembering the words about not leaving the barracks. I'm hungry, but I'll wait for orders first. Elena thought, looking around. I just hope we get to wherever were going soon.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Bravo likes this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    IC: Flight Lieutenant Alex Qipao19, Pilot Quarters, Darkest Night
    Timeline: Overnight

Alex lay on his side within his sealed bunk enclosure, the unusual activity from being planetside on Lepsawn 1-9, as well as the surges of adrenalin from being under fire, and chasing Englewood's ride across the city, had caught up with the young pilot with a vengeance.

He had gamely tried to tap an after action report into the data pad on the mattress by his shoulder, but his eyes had eventually closed, his head fortunately nodding the datapad shut, preventing him from drooling all over the keyboard as he softly snored away, hopefully recharging his natural energy stores.

Tag: no-one

Bravo likes this.
  13. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Senior Officer Quarters, Darkest Night

Nothing had worked. Gentle music to lull her to sleep, only reminded her of the sounds of battle. The silence only brought to mind the eerie quiet right after she'd electruited an entire building. The darkness showed her only her worst nightmares. What sleep she got was fitful and left her more exhausted than staying awake. Thankfully whatever few minutes of rest she got over the night was enough to make her functional if not completely prepared. Her alarm for her datapad chimed alerting her that she would have to be on duty in half an hour. To the best of her knowledge she had not been moved off first shift so it was time for her to get up.

She stumbled through her morning routine, sonic shower, clean her teeth, get dressed, put her hat perfectly on the crown of her head. Finally she looked like the officer she was. Though her eyes were slightly bloodshot and dark half circles hung under them. She still had work to do, she didn't have time to try and wake up more. Keizar slept in still in her bunk when Natalia left. The navigational officer kept her datapad close to her chest, the rhythmic beat of her mother's viol filled her mind. Her hand began to tap out the time signature, the notes flowing through her mind like water. She was falling down a thought spiral letting the song over run her mind.

Thankfully by the time she got to her station the tune had faded and her mind was her own again. She got some notes from the previous navigator and she double checked the course. Cross referencing with the up to date star map she could see where they were going to Javin. The route would get them there but, it wasn't the best. However once it was laid in there wasn't much Natalia could do about it. They would arrive in a few hours, Natalia was sure she could have shaved a few minutes off that. She should take her blessings, the hard part had been done. Now all she had to do was sit at her station and make sure hyperspace didn't collapse.

Should be easy.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    IC: Surgeon-Commander Debgate, Commodore's Ready Room, Darkest Night

When Debgate entered, the first thing that she noticed as Totter, then Brigadier General Alexey Vasiliev, politely stood to greet her, was a small port showing the blue-grey energies of hyperspace outside.

This surprised her; this was only the first or second day of their arrival for the Lepsawn 1-9 campaign, and not even the passing of their dear leader ought to be sufficient reason for them to be withdrawn.

That was the whole point of having executive, then second officers. The show had to go on.

Perhaps with slightly less zero-gravity swimming, a la the Coruscanti Opera House, but if you were booked for three shows a day, you were darn well doing three shows a day.

After introductions, all three of them sat down, Deb' pressing her knees together as hers and Vasiliev's chairs formed a V-shape towards the middle of Englewood's old desk.

She felt herself go a bit misty-eyed at the thought of Commodore Englewood and this bit of furniture forever separated now; she forced herself to Mandalorian up. I'm an Imperial Officer, for Tribunal's Sake! She reminded herself, looking at Totter's mouth as he began to speak:

"Before we get an update from Doctor Debgate on Commodore Englewood's health, I have to brief both of you on our current circumstances, which are a bit unusual-"

She raised her left eyebrow at this, intending to lower it in a few seconds.

"-even considering the Commodore's recent health complications. First and foremost, by midday tomorrow, we'll be over Javin. Command has ordered us there."

She had already seen that they were hyperspace, so did not react to this. All made sense so far.

"General Vasiliev will be taking temporary command of ship security in the morning, after he completes post-action reports on ground operations on Lepsawn 1-9. Chief of Security Shinzon has been transferred on urgent orders; his orders were need to know only, so I don't know for what. Senior Lieutenant Steadfast is holding down security operations until the morning. I've been partly briefed on a security issue in the Mess Hall of the Trooper Barracks, but I have yet to receive a substantial update."

The doctor opened her mouth to chime in on that last bit, but Totter was continuing, so she shut her yap, and relaxed the eyebrow.

"As for Javin, I've been updated on several changes. First---Doctor Debgate---you are to transfer Commodore Englewood and all relative health information regarding the commanding officer to Javin Oversector Command. They have an advanced medical team on standby to care for the Commodore."

She nodded, despite knowing that it was already too late. It had been too late by time her counterparts at the garrison had thought to send him back to his ship.

"In light of that information, however, it seems that the Admiralty has different opinions on Commodore Englewood's chances of continued effective command after the health incident and we will be getting a new commanding officer, effective immediately. Although, privately, I wonder if Peter's independent away team operations on Lepsawn 1-9 had some factor into their decisions. Regardless, our new commanding officer is Commodore Valentino Mazzanti."

The Surgeon-Commander nodded along to show that she was taking this all in. Partially she was agreeing to the decision of sending them another Commodore. The new guy would be running the ships of the 115th Naval Battle Group, as well.

"He's well schooled, fought in the Clone Wars and the Western Reaches Pacification Operations, and is socially connected with the elite of the Empire."

Her old boss aboard the Star Destroyer Ambivalence, had given her the heads-up on Englewood and Totter before she had gotten here, so she knew that Mazzanti's service in the Clone Wars probably meant more to Totter than any guano social connections.

"He's no admiral son's promotion, that's for sure. The last 14 years, he's been mostly with the Imperial Military Department of Advanced Weapons Research-"

Despite her best efforts, the Surgeon-Commander's mind wandered a bit to process what 'weapons research' could mean, and instead of watching Totter drone on, she visualised one of the tentacled rathtar that Baille's little friend, Alex, was afraid off, loaded into a trebuchet (complicated combat catapult), pseudopods wrapped around the superstructure for dear life, while Mazzanti and his white-coated crew researched how to get it to cooperate.

"-this won't be his first lap around the sun."

What a lovely turn of phrase, she thought as she returned to the briefing, her fingertips kneading the corner edging of the silk-lined flap of fabric covering her lap. Hope there isn't a test after.

To be continued...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Bravo likes this.
  15. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    OOG: I'll need to finish this post after work tonight (lunch break just ended). I'll also get to tags tonight as well. :)

IC:
    Commodore Valentino Mazzanti
    Private Suite (Moff Starski), Javin Oversector Command & Administrative Complex

The glowing basketball-sized red piece of rock, sitting on the conference room table in a large security box, kept Valentino's attention as he studied it with curiosity, recalling what he knew of the myth of the Kingdom of Jod and the even older Red Rock Kingdom. His left hand cuffed his right elbow as his hand was in a fist under his chin.

"You're thoughts, Commodore?" Grand Admiral Thrawn asked into the silent air.

"I thought it was all a myth," Valentino replied, tearing his gaze from the unrefined Red Rock, "But this...this is something I can't quite wrap my mind around."

"Most dismiss myths as romanticized fanciful tales. They do such dismissal at their own doom," Thrawn stated plainly.

Valentino felt a shiver run up his whole body at the Grand Admiral's intense stare and foreboding words. He forced down a not in his throat, "So they do."

"One's proper study of myths can yield the conclusion that such a retelling is grounded in some level of fact," Thrawn replied, "To what degree of truth and fact in a particular myth is up to the listener, then, to discover."

The commodore looked to the unrefined Red Rock again for a moment, then expanded his view to the whole of the conference area as he stood a step back. Along the glass wall behind him was Doctor Van Halfin The Third & Moff Starski, as well as Commandant Y'mong Zake, an old colleague of his that Valentino hadn't seen in years. Apparently the scientist was doing very well for himself to be at a meeting such as this. Which spoke, as well, to Valentino's own Imperial success. Although, the Commodore noted, it should be noted that failure---at such high stakes as these---would not be tolerated. Thrawn stood to the Commodore left towards the end wall with Investigator Hilick Soal near him, while two red robed Emperor's Royal Guards stood quietly along the wall opposite the glass wall. Two more of the Royal Guardsmen stood in the middle of the massive suite as well, away from the meeting. The Royal Guards were specifically instructed with the protection of this one piece of Red Rock.

"Where was it found?" Valentino asked, addressing the whole gathering, as he took a larger step back from the table and joined the loose gathering of Imperial officers. Despite the interest to study the rock, Valentino found no interest standing close to the Emperor's Royal Guardsmen any moment longer then he had to. If he thought Thrawn's foreboding words gave him an uneasy filling, the Guardsmen were even a more terrifying----and constant---uneasy feeling.

"Operation Home Base, one year ago," Commandant Zake said, stepping forward from the wall, "Elements of Joker Platoon assisted my team and I in retrieving this only piece of Red Rock ever found in the Expansion Region. That was when we knew it wasn't a myth anymore," The commandant titled his head off to the side for a moment, as if reliving some horrible nightmare in his thoughts, then turned back to Valentino, "Aside from the few stormtroopers who survived, I was the only scientist of my team to make it out of there alive."

Valentino nodded, now understanding the full scope of his orders, "And there seems to be evidence of this Red Rock in the Unknown Regions then?"

"Grand Admiral Thrawn's information has been correct thus far," Zake replied.

"And why the Darkest Night?" the Commodore asked.

"The Darkest Night is the best Star Destroyer in the Dark Saber Command," Moff Starski replied, his chest seemingly puffing out with pride. Valentino silently wondered what praise and ego trip was in this for the Moff? "And one of the best in the whole of the Galactic Empire. Not to mention the Death's Whisper Legion will provide you with seasoned troops with combat experience. Dark Battalion provides you with crack troops, while Dark Nebula Squadron provides a razor's edge to any mission."

Valentino nodded. It was clear the Moff thought very highly of this particular Star Destroyer and their accomplishments. It seemed to be his pride & joy and was most likely something he brought up repeatedly to his friends and colleagues to make himself look better while, in reality, he most likely had done nothing to help get the Star Destroyer to its lofty status and praise.

"And," Soal added from where he stood, "Most importantly, Joker Platoon has first hand experience with dealing with this Red Rock. Their hands-on experience will be invaluable."

"Then," Valentino looked around the conference room, "Why me? Surely there are better qualified commanding officers then myself for such a important role?"

Thrawn stepped forward then.....

TBC

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  16. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Private Suite (Moff Starski), Javin Oversector Command & Administrative Complex

"Because," Thrawn said as he stepped forward, "You have practical solutions to real problems. Your service record says as much. You do not let your success cloud your judgement. Furthermore, this mission will give you thorough experience in testing your own designs, both the Imperial Praetorian-class Star Destroyer and the Gladiator Auctorati-class Star Destroyer. Both are practical designs in my estimation and I have already been pushing for their wider spread implementation throughout the Imperial Fleet, in addition to my own TIE Defender proposals. With your ships and my TIEs, I feel we may have found a cost effective, military effective solution to hostile threats. Your orders would accomplish my own desire to see your ships' implementation on a more testing enterprise."

"Testing enterprise?" Valentino asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Going into the Unknown Regions, Commodore, is not something to look forward to if you are unaware of your environment. I, and I alone, know a path through the trekless void between your galaxy here and the Unknown Regions. Think not that passing the void is the easy part. No, it is but the least challenging of difficult choices and situations you will have to make and which you will have to endure," Thrawn switched tracks, "This Red Rock..." Thrawn waved his hand in dismissal, "...Is it real? In my calculations and evidence thus far," the Grand Admiral waved a open hand face up to the mineral on the table, "Yes. Myths are well to be heeded in their proper dimensions, but not taken to fanciful conclusions as to fit a narrative. Is this myth worth heeding? Are the risks of the Darkest Night and her crew worth the challenging questions it may raise?" Thrawn looked around the conference room, "The Emperor thinks so. And for now, until conclusive evidence tells us otherwise, we should be wise to heed his thoughts on the subject."

"And your thoughts Grand Admiral?" Moff Starski asked, causing a stir in the room. Valentino felt as if the room got cold all of sudden and he could of swore one of those Imperial Royal Guard's heads had turned slightly to the question. Although when the Commodore looked out the corner of his eye again, the Guardsmen's body was just as still as before the question.

Thrawn waited a moment, weighing his response carefully, "I agree with the Emperor. But not because of his analysis, but because of my own. His reasoning and practical applications for the Red Rock's use is fundamentally sound," the Grand Admiral paused another moment. Valentino could see the Chiss officer was thinking on something, as if weighing the risk verses benefit. Then the alien finally spoke and you could heard a pen drop in the room as his words came out razor sharp, "If you are questioning my loyalty, Moff Starski, or to trap me in perjury on a previous statement of mine, I am regretfully sorry to disappoint you. I'm sure these Emperor's Royal Guardsmen you thought to impress for a favor from the Emperor can relay that information to him for you."

The room was deadly silent, the air still. Here, Moff Starski was ruler & king in the Javin Oversector. But Thrawn had the ear of the Emperor.

"I regress, Grand Admiral," Starski replied, bowing his head in shame, "I did not mean to offend unnecessarily. My wording must had been in error."

Everyone's attention was on Thrawn now. With a few well placed words in response that everyone knew Thrawn could give in return now, despite the Moff's standing with the Emperor, Thrawn could have the man's career in ruins. And all he had to do was say the words in proper order.

But he didn't.

It would had seemed that Thrawn, however respected he was in the military, was still resented by the military elite, socially connected Imperials (especially those from the Core Worlds). And Starski fit all of those stereotypes in epic fashion. Apparently military victories and the Emperor's own approval couldn't get you past bigotry for being a alien.

"Apology accepted, Moff Starski," Thrawn said with emphasis; everyone could feel the ice cold daggers Thrawn threw at the politician in the conference room, completely a well played, well returned rebuke, "Such accidents happen."

Ouch.

Thrawn had a way to masterfully gut you in front of everyone with a blade, yet skillfully make it look like you were the one that gutted yourself.

Valentino cleared his throat, "Grand Admiral, what is this enterprise for which I am going into the Unknown Regions for? Aside from collecting rocks?"

Grand Admiral replied, "A valid question, Commodore. Commandant?" the Grand Admiral stepped back along the wall.

Commandant Y'mong Zake stepped forward, "Project Zero. The goal is to verify the Red Rock's healing and energy resource properties. In order to do so, however, we need a adequate supply of Red Rock to conduct the experiments and achieve the results the Emperor wants."

"The Darkest Night and I are going in to find these Red Rock and return it to this Project Zero site," he looked around the conference room, "Isn't that like finding a needle in a stack of needles?"

"No," Investigator Hilick Soal spoke from his spot on the other wall, "We will be using Grand Admiral Thrawn's earlier methods, thus far successful, to find more Red Rock."

"And what methods are these?" Valentino asked.

"Do you believe in ghost stories, Commodore?" Thrawn asked.

No Tag

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    ...Continued 2 of 3

Not wanting to drift off again, Debgate kept her hands in her lap, and leaned forward slightly in her chair, as if she were hanging upon Duke Totter's every word.

"As such, I would not take his command here as just another officer. His resume dictates otherwise."

She nodded along with this.

"With the new commanding officer, we're receiving new orders, which I have not been briefed on, other then Commodore Mazzanti will have them for us. Considering the Commodore's resume and what research I can pull up on the man, I'm assuming we're getting reassigned to something more worthy of the Darkest Night's abilities other then playing cops and robbers."

The Surgeon-Commander had no direct skin in this game. Medical did not really care what job the ship they were crewing, had been ordered to do. Their only concern was to keep their crew and officers alive and healthy.

"Speaking of abilities," Totter smiled as he switched his attention from them both, to just Vasiliev. "Joker Platoon has a new platoon leader, direct from the 501st itself, a Captain Kurt Stein. And your legion has new transfers to cover your losses,"

Debgate's eyebrows shot up! She was surprised to hear the name of that most famous stormtrooper unit. The 501st!

"Is there a problem, General Vasiliev?"

She looked into the Brigadier General's face, and could see that he seemed bothered by something. That the Captain had noticed enough to pause his briefing, put the man up a notch, in her opinion. On the other hand, he probably needed a breath by now.

"No, sir," The senior stormtrooper officer denied in a gruff, defensive tone. "Permission to speak freely, sir?"

"Granted."

"Sir, no one gets transferred out of the 501st. Ever."

Really?! First she was hearing of this.

"Rumor has it you either retire there or get killed in action. Lord Vader doesn't allow the best troopers in the galaxy to leave his command. It's the best Legion in the Empire. We, the Death's Whisper, may be in running for the top five legions, but we're still a stepping stone to the 501st. The 501st is the dream post for any stormtrooper worth their salt. If this Captain Stein is coming here, he's coming here because Lord Vader wants him here. And the first question to ask is why?"

Debgate's gaze left Totter for the first time since sitting, and she peered across to Alexey. She was here because Lord Vader wanted her here. The kids, Baille and Alex, were in Dark Nebulae Squadron because Vader had selected them personally. From that perspective, it was hard to work up much anxiety as to why the Dark Lord wanted anyone onboard the Darkest Night.

Duke shared a look with Debgate, who shrugged back at him, then crossed her legs, bring her right over her left, one bare knee likely half visible over the edge of the desk from his POV.

He sat back in the chair, looking away at the hyperspace for a long moment before looking back at them, "We're also getting a new security chief, Gotz Richter, and a science officer, Doctor Van Halfin The Third"

"Whoa whoa whoa!" Debgate blurted, so shocked by hearing that last name, that she completely forgot herself. "Wait, what?!" She straightened in her chair, her turn to be discomfited by the update.

Duke looked to her, "Doctor, I believe you've probably heard of him."

"Yeh, what gave it away?" She asked rhetorically, frowning as she lifting a hand off her lap, shaped it into a blaster and pointing her index finger at her superior. "Where do you know him from?"

"He's from Lord Vader's personal staff."

The Norrathian could not believe this. Van Halfin was a drokking war criminal. One that she had heard off, even before she had joined the Empire. Hundreds of wounded clone troopers had crossed her path during her service in the Republic Mobile Surgical Units, RMSUs, or Rimsoos. Some of them had been to Doctor Van Halfin, first.

She should have requested permission to speak freely, as Vasiliev had just now. But everyone in the Ready Room recognised that that boat had sailed. Whatever a boat was.

"He's....he's a war criminal, Sir." She advised softly. She felt like the spark of life had just drained from her, like she had been Harm Touched for 437 hit points.

Vasiliev made a notable sigh of disgust at the last bit of information of Vader's personal staff.

Duke raised his hands in defense, "I don't like it any better then you do, General," the captain replied in equal frustration. But he didn't need to, Deb' felt. All their hands were tied by the Admiralty. Orders were orders, unless any of the three wanted to risk a court martial. And who was supposed to make sure that Baille cleaned her teeth properly, and ensured she didn't go swimming until at least an hour after she had eaten?

Alex, probably.

"But we have our orders. We all do. I guess this all tells us more then we wanted to know about our next assignment. Between now and tomorrow afternoon," Duke looked at both officers, "You are my highest placed officers -"

This is a far cry from when you took Dick's side over mine. Debgate realised that she still had a chip on her shoulder over the tense fracas with the deck officer.

"-in places of practical authority in your chosen professional military careers. As such, we need to act like it, all of us. By tomorrow, either of us---even me---could be given new orders and transferred. I'm under no illusion that I am here because of Englewood. He salvaged my career."

Why, what happened? She wondered.

"- And now Englewood, most likely, is looking at forced retirement at worse-"

Oh, I dunno, Debgate felt discomfort at the man's speculation about his friend. She looked down past her raised knee, not wanting to meet Totter's eyes. Could be worse.

"-a transfer to a ammunition depot at best."

Noooooope.

"And with him, my career could very well be over. Until that point, however, we all have a job to do. And I'm telling both of you all of this because, for the sake of the men and women under our command and the glorious history of the Darkest Night itself---if I am transferred to another assignment---someone has to know what is happening. What's about to happen. I was supposed to be the only one with knowledge of these orders, until the new Commodore arrived."

To be continued...

Mitth_Fisto and Bravo like this.
  18. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Trooper Barracks, Darkest Night

The corridors were starting to show life again in them as the Master Sergeant walked back from the GenMess. A few troopers here or there---some talking, others doing morning exercise routines in the quiet corridors----and a droid or two sprinkled in for good measure. Aside from some graveyard tech crew from Technical Services Division doing a repair along the corridor or in a unused room, the corridors were quiet. So when he spit out his coffee all over the datapad he was reading and it dripped out onto the corridor, he was glad there was no one to go down over his spill. Luckily, there was a droid down the corridor that was speeding to the clean-up on corridor #532, Section 3.

Thank the Force for droids, Animal thought, as he started putting some speed to his step as he tried to drink his remaining coffee equally quick, noticing he just made more little coffee drops along the way in the corridor. That's probably explained why that cleaning droid was following him, angrily saying something in droid speak. Animal had to get back to the Army Quarters to let everyone know the news he just read....

Army Quarters, Darkest Night

There was excitement in the air. You could feel it, even at this time in the morning. For all the jokes, back-handed complements, and grumbling enlisted troopers did about officers, there always seemed to be a natural need them to light the way for the troops. It gave leaderless troops direction, a purpose beyond themselves. It helped matters that Animal could verify that this officer was worth his salt.

Captain Kurt Stein (TK-9131).

Excitement for stormtroopers usually meant alcohol. For now, however, the small gatherings of two or three troopers around bunks repeating the newly arriving captain's name would have to do. And then, suddenly, like the attention span of a toddler, the stormtroopers were back to their morning routine and grumblings about officers. At least, for a moment, it seemed like enlisted and officer could coexist.

Almost.

The Old Man was doing his rounds now, after the morning announcement by Animal, through the bunks, telling troopers they'd better get their arse in gear and get their gear checked & cleaned and weapons checked & cleaned or they's be wondering why they were cleaning out refresher dumb lines for the next two rotations. Through the chaos of dirty armor being thrown out into the open and self cleaning & repair kits retrieved from under bunks for the armor, Animal saw Elena Shan sitting on her bunk, waiting---as she was supposed to---in the quarters. He was about to head that way when the Old Man intercepted him.

"I like you Master Sergeant," the Sergeant Major said in a low, anger restrained voice to Animal's face, prompting the Master Sergeant to snap to attention, the Old Man sniffing him life a predator hunting its prey.

"Thank you, sir!" Animal responding, but in the back of his head, Animal knew this was going one of two directions. And both directions were bad.

"But," the Sergeant Major said in a deadly, serpent-like voice as he brought his face up to Animal's ear (yep, here it came) so only the Master Sergeant could hear, "If I ever catch you cleaning your gear and weapon ahead of when I tell you to after an operation, so help me by the Force, I will tear off your head and relieve myself down your blood gushing throat. Do I make myself ******-******* clear, Master Sergeant?"

"Perfectly, sir!" Animal replied sharply.

The Sergeant Major stepped back and straightened out Animal's work jumpers and padded him on both shoulders with his firm hands, saying suddenly with a father-like voice full of wisdom and love, "Good. We all know around these parts I don't sleep and I hear and know all Master Sergeant," the Sergeant Major nodded back to the newly arrived Lieutenant from yesterday on her bunk, "I got orders this morning. She's free to go," the Sergeant Major put a few pointed finger jabs into Animal's chest to make a point, "If I find out, however, that you and her are having a good ole time with a walk through the park and she decides to intervene herself again into a hostile situation before we reach Javin---without my consent---you'd wish death to yourself before you saw me again. I will not have you, her, or anyone else make a fool of my beloved platoon again, especially with this fancy-shoed 501st officer friend of yours coming. Last thing I need is Lord Vader seeing how well I discipline my troopers and I get transferred to the 501st to deal with those thumb-sucking mommy boys. Now, don't disappoint me, Master Sergeant. I expect the Lieutenant to be ready with the rest of the platoon before we reach Javin. She'll be ready to assume her officer post within my platoon after training today with you."

With that, the Sergeant Major turned and walked away in the opposite direction. For a moment, Animal wondered if the the wet feeling down his leg was him relieving him own self after getting a new rear end installed by the Sergeant Major? Animal looked down to his pant leg. Nope. It was just remaining drips of coffee from his earlier spilling incident with his mug.

Taking a breath, the Master Sergeant made his way over to the new LT and said, "Good morning Lieutenant Shan. I got good news and I got good news. Which one do you want first?"

TAG @TheSilentInfluence

19. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    IC: Captain Duke P. (Patrick) Totter
    Bridge, Darkest Night

Morning.....

Totter stood at the bridge's windows, staring at the blue hyperspace tunnel. Rumor had it that if someone stared long enough, they'd go crazy.

The captain looked at his shaking left hand, which he quickly stuffed in his pocket.

So it had returned? After being gone for so long?

Duke dismissed the thought, willing himself beyond that, and the shaking stopped. First, they needed to bury their dead. Then he could deal with that demon. But he would not be moved by anyone or anything to not pay his final respects to his best friend in Commodore Peter Englewood. He turned his head and could see the comm station's board of buttons and screens just beyond the communication officer's shoulder. Soon, he would have to make an announcement to the whole crew about the Commodore's passing.

Soon, but not yet. He wasn't ready yet, as he could feel the well of emotions already starting. But he also had a job to do.

Sighing, he tore his gaze away from the communications console and back to the blue tunnel of hyperspace. He wouldn't bury his best friend in some worm-infested hole on Javin, which is what was about to happen when they returned.

No.

Englewood was about tradition and he would have done what was right if Duke was in his shoes, orders be spaced. He looked at his chronometer.

"Captain Markova?" Duke called out, "A word please?"

When she arrived by the windows, Duke said, "We are scheduled to be at Javin in 4 hours in our current direction. Six hours per Command's deadline. If you found a safe area to drop out of hyperspace---I'd need something with a sun---could you still get us to Javin in that 4 hour time frame and some time to spare if needed, assuming we burn 2 hours doing a proper barrier for our fallen comrades?"

TAG @galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 likes this.
  20. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    Javin Oversector Command & Administrative Complex, planet of Javin, Outer Rim Territories

The gentle ocean breeze washed over his face as he stood on the walkway linking the landing complex to the primary structure. Every so often a gentle spray of mist would wash over him from the ocean as the wind blew through the waters far below The sun that angled down on everyone from above quickly dried any remnant water droplets on Valentino's Imperial officer's uniform.

He was leaning forward, using a railing to support his body causally as he looked out below, to the complex and out further to the ocean. His ears brought in the various array of sounds---organic beings, the workings of a massive military complex, the ocean waves, shuttles leaving & arriving, sea birds---as his eyes tried to take everything in. Below, on the landing platform, Valentino watched as Grand Admiral Thrawn lead a boxed escort formation of 4 Emperor's Royal Guardsmen with the security box containing the Red Rock in the middle, being carried by two Imperial Navy Crewmen on either side. In front of the group was a waiting Lambda-class T-4a Shuttle with a honor guard of 18 white-armored Stormtroopers split down the middle to either side of the lowered ramp.

Valentino watched as Thrawn & his group boarded the shuttle and soon after the Lambda lifted up, rotated in mid-air, and deployed its wings as it shot away from the complex and then up towards the stars. Valentino watched it for a moment until he felt a presence behind him.

"Investigator?" the Commodore asked, turning around to see Hilick Soal standing there, one hand cuffed over another in front of his belt buckle as the wind entle blew his cape in the back.

"What are you thinking, Valentino?" Hilick asked, walking up besides the man up against the railing. Valentino couldn't help but notice the two white armored stormtroopers standing some distance off, legs shoulder width apart and blaster carbines held across their abdomens, on the far end of the walkway. The troopers didn't move, but kept their sight towards Hilick & Valentino, as people walked around them going both directions.

"What choice do I have?" the Commodore asked, nodding his head towards the distant Stormtroopers.

Hilick smirked and looked off for a moment, then brought his attention back to the naval officer, "Come on Valentino, you know how the game is played."

The commodore looked to Hilick, "That's what scares me."

Hilick nodded, "And I understand that all too well. But I need your assurances."

"I have my orders, don't I? I just can't reject them," the commodore replied with more snap then he had intended, "I was happy back in my old job. No one to tell me how to do my job or where to be for my job."

"You're one of the better Imperial officers we have," Hilick responded frankly, "It wasn't my call. But even if it was, I'd still be ordering you onto this mission."

Valentino grimaced, "I was afraid you'd say that," then smiled, "I guess I owe you a thank you."

"None needed," Hilick said, smiling, and then he gestured to the two distant stormtroopers and they turned and walked away, "Your resume speaks for itself."

"Apparently," Valentino replied dryly, adding, "What's the details?"

"You're getting the Darkest Night and the 217th Naval Battle Group. Thrawn has given us the coordinates on a one-use burn drive," Hilick said, noting the data medium would melt itself after a singe use with an additional build-in security device that prevented copying of the data before it self-destructed, "To get through the void and into the Unknown Regions. You'll hit a few predestined spots Thrawn had in mind, then you'll have to put the pieces together to figure out the rest. I'll be attending intermittently."

TBC

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    IC: Agent Mitch Nifesta, Agent Yavscout (npcs?), Republic-class cruiser, the Darth Unlucky

"We got another ship coming up." Mitch Nifesta, the pale white Twi'lek reported from his pilot seat aboard the cloaked Republic-class cruiser, loud enough to travel back along the flight deck to the communications station. "Lambdha-class shuttle." He frowned to himself, the thought inexplicably popping into his head, that he wasn't one of those ship-spotters, or Cygnus Spaceworks' fan-beings who would have insisted on adding the additional 'T-4a' business. There was only one model of this class that the Empire used, so why bother with all that.

"Are we safe up here?" Yavscout, the full-blood elf enquired from the aforementioned comms station.

"About to find out, in five, four, three, two, one. And we're going to...."

Outside the vessel's forward ports, less than two klicks away, the grey-white Imperial shuttle, dorsal and side fins fully extended in the three-pointed star fashion, swept up out of the gravity well, and headed off into interplanetary space.

"...live!"

Yav ran voice recognition software on the various voices that he was picking up on the comms chatter. "Mm, interesting. Grand Admiral Thrawn was on that ship."

"Was? Where is he now?"

"Is on that ship, alright?" Yav snapped in faux exasperation, "Is!"

"Alright, keep your hair on." Nifesta paused, letting his ship drift on whatever wake that the shuttles sublight engines may have thrown their way. Maneuvering thrusters ought to be fine, but he didn't want to do anything to attract the attentions of the w-165 Planetary Turbolaser that was reputed to be down there. "Wonder what that was about."

The agents weren't here for whatever reason that Thrawn had been. That wasn't the only reason that Javin was popular today.

Imperial Intelligence, and therefore, their own SGIS, the Secret Galactic Intelligence Service, were aware that Rebel commanders had been captured at the battle of Lepsawn 1-9, by the Star Destroyer Darkest Night, and that that ship was on its way here.

Hopefully it was coming by itself. If it brought the 115th Naval Battle Group with it, even with a cloaked ship, the coming afternoon was probably going to be fairly dicey.

SGIS had been one of the premier intelligence and security agencies during the Grand Republic, but probably due to its' reputation for causing massive collateral damage with its' otherwise highly effective teams of professionals, mixed with jedi and on-licence criminals, it had suffered badly during the infamous Order 66, and had been raided by, and mostly absorbed into, what quickly became Imperial Intelligence.

The handful of agents and assets that had managed to escape all that, had struggled for relevancy in the following two standard decades.

Nominally though, the current iteration of SGIS was allied with the Alliance to Restore the Republic.

When Imperial Intelligence had absorbed their infrastructure, and some of their personnel, one of the few silver linings, more a dash of silver-coloured paint than anything as grandiose as lining, had been that SGIS now had limited but reliable sources within several locations of the Emperor's primary fact-finding apparatus.

Undetected for now, the two agents continued to observe, and wait for the Darkest Night.

Tag: no-one

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Bravo likes this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Continued, 3 of 3

Timeline: previous evening

Debgate was shaken. She was being asked to work with that scumbag, Van Haflin.

When Eliforp Risk, then a Judicial Forces' officer, had enticed her to go with him to Coruscant, she doubted he expected that this was going to be an eventual outcome.

Before her, Captain Totter continued to hold court. "Now, I am at risk of violating orders myself. And you two are in positions that, most likely, won't get transferred like mine. They need a doctor, a good doctor. And you're it Doctor Debgate in my book and I hope theirs."

"Thank you, Sir." She said, simply.

"And General, they wouldn't transfer a new platoon leader from the 501st just to transfer the whole legion out somewhere else. They'd transfer the legion first. And your record---and that of the legion---says it's the type of hard hitting legion this assignment needs, whatever that assignment is." He paused, his gaze taking in both Senior Staff Officers. "While I can't tell you to go against orders, I can ask you---as a career professional and as a brother-in-arms---to keep open ears. But also, an open mind," Their acting commanding officer took a breath, then looked at Debgate, "I sure hope, Doctor, you can give me good news about the Commodore. I'd hate to have to write his family. We need some good news to end this meeting."

Now, she favoured Duke with a sad, hangdog impression, intended to pre-empt her report.

"Sorry, Captain." Debgate released a heavy sigh, bringing up her closed datapad and sliding it onto the closest part of the desk. "It is with a heavy heart that I regret to inform you that Commodore Peter Englewood passed away at-" She read out the memorised time. "The substance that was attacking the Commodore's brain, was detected to be secreting another chemical in the process, and that quickly led to a thermal reaction, which... Uh, the Commodore's last moment is recorded on here." She tapped a fingernail on the datapad's black plastic shell. "However, I do not recommend watching it. It is harrowing, and quite the shock. I can gaurantee that the Commodore felt no pain."

She weighed up whether to mention that Master Chief Jengleheimer had breached the isolation field to inject the man with something, mere moments before the shocking event, however, she did not want to subject her peer to any wild off-the-cuff reactions.

She was sure that whatever he had injected, would not have had time to circulate to the Sylox, or whatever it was, however whilst she had been running tests to confirm that the man was in the clear, Totter had signalled for her presence before she had gotten any results.

Opting to give the Zelosian the benefit of the doubt, she simply gazed across at the clearly distraught Totter.

"Sir?"

Bravo likes this.
  23. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Bridge, Darkest Night

Natalia kept an eye on her station the rest of the world fading away. She went over the route keeping herself aware of threats and dangers along their path should they be shunted out of hyperspace. Not that it was likely but, one must remain vigilant. She was so engrossed in her work that when Trotter called her name she looked up shocked. It took her a moment to gather up her datapad and make her way over to the inerum commanding officer.

Holding her pad close to her chest she came up to him against the windows looking out into the blue whirlwind of hypersapce.

"Yes Sir?"

"We are scheduled to be at Javin in 4 hours in our current direction." He began she nodded her head, 4 hours and 3 minutes as it currently stood. "Six hours per Command's deadline. If you found a safe area to drop out of hyperspace---I'd need something with a sun---could you still get us to Javin in that 4 hour time frame and some time to spare if needed, assuming we burn 2 hours doing a proper barrier for our fallen comrades?" She furrowed her brow pulling out her datapad she pulled up a map of the Javin Oversector. They were currently on the Koda Spur heading towards Lutrillia and the Kiax nebula. There wasn't much of note no inhabited systems or at least heavily populated systems on the route. Finding a star system was the easy part, finding the route to get them to Javin was the difficult part. The spur was the safest route and would get them to Javin on time, which was why the previous navigator had chosen it. Outside of the established routes one had to be careful and have up to date charts. Which Natalia was always sure to have. While the fastest route was always a straight line, or in astronavigation, the one that requires the fewest amount of degree changes, it was rarely the safest. Though she could start to see the route. One that would get them there within the requested amount of time. The only issue was the black hole, neutron star and nebula that lay on that route. She would need some time to calculate, even for her.

"I do have a place that should suit our purpose sir." She turned her datapad around to show him. "Star System-481957, uninhabited but, containing a blue star, the energy output should incinerate the Commodore's body quite efficiently." It was cold but, it was just a body now, it held no importance to her. It was to be disposed of quickly. She may not understand why he wishes to take two hours to do something that takes seconds to do but, orders were orders. "I have a route that will get us to Javin at the appointed time, though it will take some time to calculate. Though it would be easier if you did not take so much time to dispose of the Commodore's remains."

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Bravo and Sith-I-5 like this.
  24. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Trooper Barracks, The Darkest Knight

As she waited to see where she was needed next, Elena pulled her datapad out and unlocked it, noticing a new message from Erik, her brother. That was fast. Elena thought to herself, unlocking her device and quickly scanning over the contents.

Re: Lieutenant Elena Shan
    The Darkest Knight

Hey Elena,

I settled in well and my bunk mate is from Skystrike as well. He was a year behind me in the academy. I hope that the men of Joker Platoon isn't giving you too much trouble, I heard that can be a bit old in terms of acceptance, but I know you'll work hard to earn your place. I haven't met anyone yet, but the local women seem very nice. I also heard that their some old relic here; but it just seems like some old tale the farmers tell to keep us from looting. I'll be okay, were on leave right now and there are no Rebels on Dantooine.

Love your brother,

Erik Shan

7th TIE Fighter Squadron,

Dantooine, Outer Rim

As she heard her name being mentioned, Elena locked and turned off her datapad, and out it away before she hoped off the bunk and stood at confidently as the Master-Sargent directed his question at her. She smiled slightly at his question, and shrugged a little; amusement radiating in her eyes. "Well gosh, I think I'll take the good news Sargent." Elena moved out of the way of a passing trooper, and motioned her hand so they could move off to the side, out of the way of the hustle and bustle of the barracks. "I hope I haven't caused too much trouble for Joker Platoon." Elena apologised carefully. And then she straightened out and nodded at Animal.

"I hope that I can make a good officer to these men. I want to earn to their trust. I just...I don't want to let them down."

Bravo and Sith-I-5 like this.
  25. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    IC: Captain Duke P. (Patrick) Totter
    Ready Room, Darkest Night

Previous night.....

"Sir?"

Totter had been looking off to the blue tunnel of hyperspace after the initial reports from the Doctor. He kept a hand to his chin, trying to fight back emotions of the memories that the two men had shared together. They had known each other's families very well and Englewood had salvaged Totter's career.

The Doctor's words, though, shook him out of his emotional abyss and as he turned back to the two officers, there was a lone tear that streaked down Duke's left cheek.

"Get some rest, both of you," Duke managed in response, his voice strained, "And Doctor, thank you for your report. Please prepare the body of the Commodore and our other losses for a traditional space burial. We'll try to make time to honor their deaths in the morning tomorrow before we reach Javin. We're on a schedule unfortunately by command. Dismissed."

TAG @Sith-I-5