main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Beyond - Legends Parallels - a post NJO Han/Jag viggie - 2004 SFFA Best First Story winner

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jags_Scoundrel, Dec 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jags_Scoundrel

Jags_Scoundrel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2003
    Title: Parallels
    Timeframe: post-NJO
    Characters: Jagged Fel, Han Solo
    Genre: vignette
    Acknowledgements: Thanks to Thrawn McEwok and Brett_Bass for the giving me the little shove I needed to post this.
    Author?s Notes: This is my first attempt at fan fic, so I?m a little nervous. If I can ever finish it, this will be one scene in a longer story that I have sketched out. Well, here goes nothing . . .

A small smile crept across Jagged Fel?s face as he spotted the Millennium Falcon across the hangar. So it is true; Han and Leia are here, he thought. His smile grew wider with every stride that brought him closer to the ship. The thought of even the tiniest connection to Jaina, even something as simple as a conversation with her parents, lifted Jag?s spirits. He missed her terribly. Jag mentally chuckled; that was understating things by a wide margin. He had hoped that over the years, their long separations would be easier to bear. They weren?t.

Following an educated hunch, Jag bypassed the main entry and instead began walking around the perimeter of the ship. It wasn?t long before he spotted a pair of legs dangling out of an access panel. Relatively sure his approach was not noticed, Jag leaned against the hull near the panel and said loudly, ?I see the old girl is as temperamental as ever.?

Jag was rewarded with the sound of a loud thump, followed by a cry of pain and a vehement string of Corellian curses.

Han Solo shot out onto the floor with a look on his face that implied that he was about to deal whomever had just startled him a slow and torturous death. His gaze only softened somewhat when he recognized his intended target. ?You know, kid, I?ve killed men for less,? he growled, pointing an accusing finger in Jag?s direction.

One corner of Jag?s mouth turned up in a slight smile. Years ago, he would have bristled at being referred to as a kid, but now he knew Han well enough to discern the affection and respect that lay underneath the term. ?Hello, Han.?

?Hi, Jag. Brushing up on your diplomatic skills?? he asked sarcastically, rubbing the sore spot on the back of his head.

Jag grinned to himself. He certainly didn?t have a reputation for being a jokester, but sometimes Han provided such an easy target, even he couldn?t resist. ?I am truly sorry. Please accept my humble apologies for my appalling behavior,? he said, affecting a stiff, formal bow.

Han rolled his eyes. ?Please. Turn it off, Your Diplomatness, I just ate.?

This time, Jag could not contain his laughter. ?Sorry,? he finally said with sincerity. ?Where is Leia?? he asked.

?Shopping. Can you believe she asked me if I wanted to go along?? he asked in a tone of voice that conveyed his distaste of the thought.

?I can?t believe that you refused such a tempting invitation.?

Han?s eyes narrowed. ?You?re a real comedian today, Fel. Let me guess, for your next trick, you?ve got my daughter hiding around the corner to surprise me.?

Jag?s face fell. ?No. Jaina?s not with me.?

?Ouch. It seems I?ve hit a sore spot. How long has it been??

?Seven months, three weeks, and two days. Not that I?ve been counting,? Jag deadpanned.

?Ah, the perils of being in love with the Sword of the Jedi. You have my sympathy, kid.?

?May I ask a personal question?? Jag asked, unsure how Han would respond to the direction the conversation was about to take.

Han looked at him skeptically at first, but then replied with a shrug, ?Sure, kid. I may or may not answer it, but fire away.?

?In different conversations over the years, Jaina has given me some details about your relationship with Leia. I can?t help but notice some parallels with my relationship with Jaina. I received the impression that there was a period of years before you were married, where you were separated from Leia for long periods of time, and during that time, you might have questioned Leia?s involvement in the relationship.?

Han rubbe

2. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    I liked it!! A lot!! Good viggie!

3. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    ?I am truly sorry. Please accept my humble apologies for my appalling behavior,? he said, affecting a stiff, formal bow.

Han rolled his eyes. ?Please. Turn it off, Your Diplomatness, I just ate.?

ROTFLMAO!

Han returned the smile, then let it fade into a traditional smirk. He slapped Jag soundly on the back and said, ?Come on, kid; let?s get a drink. If Leia catches us in this touchy-feely bonding moment, I?ll never hear the end of it.?

So true, Han.

It's a cute little viggie! :) I feel so bad for Jaggie. *hugs Jaggie*

Def think about writing out that whole fic. This looks like a good piece to it.

Good luck!

~Inyri

4. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    Nice, very nice. I'm impressed :D

I think that you should write a bigger story * waves hand * You really should.

5. Jags_Scoundrel

Nov 12, 2003
    ** peeks in at thread before leaving work ** Readers!! :D

GreatOne: I liked it!! A lot!! Good viggie!
    Boy, that was fast! The ink couldn't have been dry yet when you read this. Thank you for the compliments, fellow Big Ten fan! (I'm a proud member of PSU class of '92.)

InyriForge: ROTFLMAO!
    Thanks! I was giggling myself picturing it.

It's a cute little viggie! I feel so bad for Jaggie. *hugs Jaggie*

Def think about writing out that whole fic. This looks like a good piece to it.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! I'm working on the rest of the story, but the way I write, it could be awhile. :(

Chimpo: Nice, very nice. I'm impressed
    Aww . . . you're making me blush. [face_blush]

I think that you should write a bigger story * waves hand * You really should.
    Thank you! Working on it!

6. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    That was great!!! :D You showed the characters emotions so wonderfully!!! :D I would now like to welcome you to the writing world... sometimes it's scary as hell but when you've finished you feel so much better! :D If you pulled this out into a long fic I wouldn't hesitate to read! *hint, hint* [face_innocent]

7. Reesie

Reesie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 26, 2002
    What the heck are you nervous about!?!?! That was excellent. Well constructed, well told, very realistic. These are the things a good fanfic make!

I'm with Chimpo on this one, keep going. Develop a bond with Jag and Han, let us see how Jag and Jaina fare, tell us what Leia thinks! Just a few ideas . . .

8. Jaina_Rocks160

Jaina_Rocks160 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2003
    ~~*JESUS LOVES YOU*~~

*squeals*
    I Love it!!!!!!! [face_love]
    So perfect!

You got the people down pat!
    Continue! {Pleaaaasssseeeee continue}
    I'll be your #1 fan if you continue up with such great writing!!! :D :D :D

Perfect! ;)
    Go for it!

~*~*~

9. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Comments? [face_hopeful]

Hooray! :D :D :D :D

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Hmm. You don't want to turn this into a string of laterally-connected posts, then whisk them into a fic...? [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

10. rxchiquita

rxchiquita Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2003
    Wonderful viggie, Jags_Scoundrel!

I've never read the NJO books (actually, last book I bought/read was Courtship - never have gotten the stomach up to go out for another.) But I enjoyed this vignette! Nice line at the end:

?There?s not a man in this galaxy that?s good enough for my daughter - but you?re as close as there?s ever gonna be.?

....oh, yeah...I liked this one, too:

Han returned the smile, then let it fade into a traditional smirk. He slapped Jag soundly on the back and said, ?Come on, kid; let?s get a drink. If Leia catches us in this touchy-feely bonding moment, I?ll never hear the end of it.?

Well Done :D

11. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I hope you write the rest of the story, because this was a wonderful vignette. You nailed Han's personality perfectly, and from what I know of Jag, he behaved around Han pretty much how I would expect him to. Very good writing skills and dialogue. I hope to read more of this story in the future. Beautiful work! :)

12. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    I REALLY liked that. A lot. I saw the title and saw "Han/Jag" and thought "ooooh, interesting." I've never seen a Han/Jag fic before. Great job!

13. puppyglo

puppyglo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2003
    aww... that was great!

:)

?There?s not a man in this galaxy that?s good enough for my daughter - but you?re as close as there?s ever gonna be.?

?Thank you,? Jag said softly.

?Hang in there, Jag. Jaina is stubborn, but she?s not stupid.?

Jag smiled and said, ?Just like her father.?

lol. Marvelous fic! :D

14. Ireth_Tasartir

Ireth_Tasartir Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2003
    I loved it!!! :D

I can hear my father in that sentence,I swear!!!

If you continue this fic let me know, please... :D

15. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Jag's Scoundrel, I'm not usually one for things with such a focus, but I must commend you on your characterizations. Flawless, I must say.
    :)

Very impressive. If the rest of it (can I assume that there will, one day, be a 'rest of it'?) is of equal quality, you've got yourself a winner here.

Glad T McE and I were able to wrangle you into posting this!

And dang it, 'wrangle' does sound southern, doesn't it?!
    [face_plain]

16. Master_Vicky

Master_Vicky Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 29, 2003
    I liked it! :D

-Vicster

17. Jags_Scoundrel

Nov 12, 2003
    Wow! I was busy doing the Christmas card thing all night last night, so this is the first chance I've had to check on my little viggie. I really didn't expect this many replies! Well, here goes:

Jaina_and_Jag: That was great!!! You showed the characters emotions so wonderfully!!!
    Thanks!!!

If you pulled this out into a long fic I wouldn't hesitate to read! *hint, hint* [face_innocent]
    Thanks! I'm working on it!

Reesie: What the heck are you nervous about!?!?! That was excellent.
    Thank you! I just get nervous when I do things that I've never done before.

I'm with Chimpo on this one, keep going. Develop a bond with Jag and Han, let us see how Jag and Jaina fare, tell us what Leia thinks! Just a few ideas . . .
    Thanks for the suggestions! (Now that you mention it, there is one scene that might be more interesting from Leia's POV.)

Jaina_Rocks160: You got the people down pat!
    Continue! {Pleaaaasssseeeee continue}
    I'll be your #1 fan if you continue up with such great writing!!!

Thanks! I'll definitely be continuing, although I can't make any promises how long it might take me.

T McE: Brilliant. Just brilliant.
    [face_blush] Truly high praise, coming from you.

Hmm. You don't want to turn this into a string of laterally-connected posts, then whisk them into a fic...?
    Nah, I think I'll leave that to the master. ;) Seriously, I do have a list of scenes all sketched out, now all I have to do is fill in those little pesky things called "details." (For me, that's easier said than done.)

rxchiquita: I've never read the NJO books (actually, last book I bought/read was Courtship . . .
    What a coincidence!

Well Done
    Thank you!

Solo_Fan: You nailed Han's personality perfectly, and from what I know of Jag, he behaved around Han pretty much how I would expect him to.
    Thank you so much! Getting the characters right (especially one as established as Han) is one of the things I was worried about.

Very good writing skills and dialogue. I hope to read more of this story in the future. Beautiful work!
    Again, thanks for the compliments! I guess I really do have to finish this story now.

RogueSticks: I REALLY liked that. A lot. I saw the title and saw "Han/Jag" and thought "ooooh, interesting." I've never seen a Han/Jag fic before. Great job!
    Thank you! To be honest, one of the reasons I posted this because I wanted some feedback before I kept writing . . . and I thought a Han/Jag scene might intrigue some people.

puppyglo: lol. Marvelous fic!
    Thanks! :D

Ireth_Tasartir: I loved it!!!

I can hear my father in that sentence,I swear!!!
    [face_laugh]

If you continue this fic let me know, please...
    Will do!

Brett: Jag's Scoundrel, I'm not usually one for things with such a focus, but I must commend you on your characterizations. Flawless, I must say.
    ** fanning herself ** [voice_Scarlett O'Hara] I do declare, you are making me blush! [/voice] [face_blush] [face_laugh]

Very impressive. If the rest of it (can I assume that there will, one day, be a 'rest of it'?) is of equal quality, you've got yourself a winner here.
    Thanks! :D (And yes, there will be a 'rest of it!')

And dang it, 'wrangle' does sound southern, doesn't it?!
    Well, I think it sounds a little more Western, than southern, Tex. [face_laugh]

Master_Vicky: I liked it!

18. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    that was so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so AWESOME!!! why dont u turn it into a full length fic?????? or a series of viggies:???? that was greatWW@@@@@@ and original!@#$%^&*()_!@#$%^&*()_+

19. Jags_Scoundrel

Nov 12, 2003
    JAGSGURL15: that was so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so AWESOME!!! why dont u turn it into a full length fic?????? or a series of viggies:????
    Thank you! I'm working on it!

20. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    Awww! That was very well written, Jags_Scoundrel! I loved the way you had Han and Jag interacting with each other...funny, but very believable!

?Come on, kid; let?s get a drink. If Leia catches us in this touchy-feely bonding moment, I?ll never hear the end of it.?
    [face_laugh]

Anyways, I loved both of them! [face_love] Han and Jag are so sweet when it comes to their girls... 8-} [face_love]

Great job!

~Lady Amouri

21. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Scoundrel, I printed this out and read it on my sick bed. Now that I have ventured forth into the land of the living I wanted to say, "Great start!"

I hope you continue with this, because I just loved your interaction between Han and Jag. You had Han down perfect.

Keep up the good work!

22. Jags_Scoundrel

Nov 12, 2003
    Lt_Jaina_Solo: Awww! That was very well written, Jags_Scoundrel! I loved the way you had Han and Jag interacting with each other...funny, but very believable!
    Thank you so much! I was a little bit worried that Jag being that relaxed around Han might be stretching credibility just a tad - glad you didn't think so!

TKL, welcome back!! Once again, glad you're feeling better.

I hope you continue with this, because I just loved your interaction between Han and Jag. You had Han down perfect.
    Thank you!! [face_blush] Compliments from the master herself are high praise, indeed. Like I mentioned in an earlier reply, trying to nail a well established character, especially one as legendary as Han, is quite a scary proposition.

Keep up the good work!
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm working on the rest of the story, but unfortunately this is progressing like most things I've tried to write in the past: a stray burst of inspiration here and there, but mostly staring dumbly at a blank computer screen. :(

23. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Awwwwwwwwww! Too cute!

[hl=pink]YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002 [/hl]

24. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    I saw this on board earlier but now, curiousity got the best of me. That was really good, the interaction between Han and Jag was really good.

Lovely viggie!

~aeryn

25. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    Tex, eh?
    ;)

*shrugs*

I've had worse nicknames.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.