main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Parallels between Star Wars and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Darth_Pazuzu, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    It just occurred to me that there are quite a few parallels between the Star Wars Saga and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
    For example, during the last several episodes of DS9, Dukat (Marc Alaimo) attempted to seduce Kai Winn (Louise Fletcher) to turn against the Prophets of the Celestial Temple (wormhole aliens in secular terms) and follow the path of the evil Pah-Wraiths. In retrospect, the way in which Winn's allegiances were swayed struck me as very similar to Palpatine's seduction of Anakin to the ways of the Sith!
    Also, who else out there thinks that the character of Damar (Casey Biggs) was somewhat similar to Lando Calrissian? When Damar turns against the Dominion, and helps to break Worf (Michael Dorn) and Ezri (Nicole deBoer) out of their cell, it reminds me very much of Lando turning against the Empire and trying to help Leia and Chewie free Han!
    In one case, we have a disillusioned character who turns from the path of the Light and makes a deal with the Devil. And at the same time, we have a character who turns against the Devil and attempts to redeem himself. (When the Cardassians' relationship with the Dominion starts to deteriorate, you can practically hear Damar thinking, "This deal's getting worse all the time!")

2. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I don't know, Lando didn't really go down that dark a path, he just made a mistake on trusting the Empire to much. Damar was much more involved in what was happening in the war, and only turned against the Dominion towards the end. I'd say he's more like Darth Vader, didn't he die at the end as well.

3. Darth_Pazuzu

Aug 3, 2005
    Another thing that just recently struck me was the similarity between the Jem'Hadar and the Clone/Stormtroopers. After all, they were both genetically engineered, programmed for total obedience, and have an accelerated aging process! And while it's true that the Jem'Hadar aren't exactly clones, the Vorta are!

4. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I always thought the Jem'Hadar were clones. I like how the Dominion backed up thier obediance by ensuring they were dependent on that chemical I forget the exact name Tetrasal white or something like that.
    The Clonetroopers were always pretty obediant anyway but its a wonder nothing similar was created for them.

5. Darth_Pazuzu

Aug 3, 2005
    I was just watching the episode The Die Is Cast a few days ago, another parallel struck me.
    When the combined Romulan/Cardassian fleet arrives at the Founders' home planet, they begin bombardment, only to discover that the planet is deserted and that a whole fleet of Jem'Hadar ships was lying in wait to ambush them!
    It just struck me as a very Star Wars moment somehow, right down to the line "It's a trap!" Granted, it's a bit of a stretch to draw any kind of parallel between the heroic deeds of the Rebel Alliance and the genocidal intentions of the Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order, but I couldn't help but notice the similarity anyway!

6. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
  7. Darth_Pazuzu

Aug 3, 2005
    Very true, burrie. And I'm also a really huge fan of Babylon 5. But that's kind of a whole 'nother thread in and of itself![face_mischief]

BTW, I just thought of something:

"Gul Dukat is a great man!"
    "Yeah, great at getting us into trouble!"
    [face_laugh]:p

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Lando never killed Han and Leia's daughter like Dumar did Dukat's.

9. Darth_Pazuzu

Aug 3, 2005
    I never said anything about exact parallels, did I?o_O

"Don't be so danged literal!" - Bugs Bunny:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.