main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Parks sabers

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by agfstyrer, Aug 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agfstyrer

agfstyrer Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2003
    can the sabers from parksabers take a beating or do they breake easily. i dont wanna spend 295 dollars on something that breakes right away

S_S edit -- unlocking

2. Ahhnuld

Ahhnuld Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2002
    Hey agfstyrer,
    I sent you a PM.

3. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    I own two Parks Sabers, and they are pretty durable. The EL blade lights up nicely, and you can hit things all day long. But remember, they are props, and really shouldn't be used for combat situations. I don't know what you plan to do with yours..

Look around this forum, there are tons of threads about Parks Sabers.

4. agfstyrer

Aug 17, 2003
    i would like to know if they can take a beating or just buy the props and then get a durable saber

5. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    What sort of beating though? Are you going to be sparring with them, or hitting the hilts together, throwing the hilts around??? It all depends on what you want to do.

I don't own one, but I've seen one and other than the electronics on the outside and the plastic hilt bottom it seemed very sturdy.

If you just plan to duel, then they should work just fine. Be any saber won't stand up to be thrown around too much.

I take it they are going to be used in a Fan Film? If so, them make sure your prop and the fighting saber look the same. It would look really cheesey to have a Jedi with a Park on his belt, then start fighting with a plastic toy, or even another Park of a different design.

6. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    I have a few Parks on my own, and they are very well made. I still have a hard time justifying dueling with them, though. I spent alot of money on them and don't want to risk snapping a blade or bending a hilt.

If this is for a fanfilm, I recommend much cheaper ways of doing it. In mine we used PVC stunt sabers and blades, and hardware sabers for the 'hero' versions. Let me know if you need me to explain anything further.

7. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    You can even take the toy sabers and modify them a little. Add a better paint job, some weathering, and you're probably good for a FF.

8. agfstyrer

Aug 17, 2003
    how big are those sabers from parksabers i mean hasbroes version is like pretty big for a kid you know

9. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    Parks sabers are the actual size a saber should be, much smaller than the Hasbro versions.

10. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Yeah, that's always bugged me about the Hasbro sabers. You would think that they would be smaller to accomidate smaller hands, but guess not. *shrugs*

11. agfstyrer

Aug 17, 2003
    i dont wanna use the hasbro sabers when theyre that big. i have got some questions 1: i saw a ring on some of the sabers so you can like hang em' on a hook but on the m2 and the shadow i cant find it. are they there?? are there cheaper solutions than parksabers that are just as good

12. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    As far as I know, most Parks come with Comtec clips, which require a clip to go on the belt, much like a cell phone clip.

13. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    My brother has a PS, it's really good-but only fight a ps with a ps. They were sparring with wodden dowels before, then he got his ps, so they stopped. For a fanfilm, they would work well, but the blade wiggles a lil cause it's plastic.

14. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    As far as I know, most Parks come with Comtec clips, which require a clip to go on the belt, much like a cell phone clip.

Some of Parksabers have D-Rings, other have Covertec's.

From what I hear, if you order one with a covertec, you get the clip for free.

15. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Covertec, sorry :)

Yeah, you do get the clip free, but beware trying to get another one. My friend went through a heck of a time at C2 trying to get a replacement.

16. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    You can usually get them on Ebay for 10-15 bucks. Everytime I've looked I've found at least a couple of auctions for them.

17. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I recently was at a comic con in Chicago and Park sabers was there. They did a demo on the different models they had, part of it was that "you can hit 'em as hard as you want. Mr. Parks said that he even has taken them against a wall and they didn't break.

Forcebewitya!

18. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    He has also run over a blade back and forth with his car. That's where he gets the term 'unbreakable' on the back of his shirts.

19. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Hmmmm, if I had 500 I'd buy two and test that theory. Does is guarantee they won't break?

20. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Instead of buying 2 you could just by teh double helix and seperate it.

21. DanakinSkywalker

Aug 25, 2003
    There's no guarantee, because I know people have broken them before.

22. JediG60racer

JediG60racer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    They're polycarbonate, of course you can break them. One person I know who's broken them (multiple times) is a fellow kendo student who is used to using a much heavier bokken sword, and he just kills the Parks blades. The other one I saw broken was due to someone trying to see if it would bend 180* (it won't, don't try it). Idiot.

For all practical purposes, they're extremely durable. Most people would never have a problem with them. I've been wailing on my Parks sabers for years, and they've been just fine. I just know the difference between my Parks saber and a katana blade... metal takes more punishment than plastic, so I am not quite as rough on my Parks as I am with a real sword. But I do use the Parks sabers often when I'm sparring my favourite partner (my wife is an excellent kendo student) :)

23. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Well I work with both a bokken and katana often, so I guess I should be careful :p

24. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    Is Kendo a form of Martial Arts or is it a style of sword fighting?

25. dan005e

dan005e Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 21, 2002
    Kendo is Japenese sport sword combat. It is fun to do but can be expensive when you start. Mainly the cost comes from when you buy the gear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.