main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pashna Starkiller a Mon Cal?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I am browsing through the Wookieepedia's recently added image page, and suddenly I see a green skinned Mon Calamarian with red markings.

Clicking on it, I learn that Star Wars: Galaxies has established that Pashna Starkiller, member of the Grey Cadre, is a Mon Calamarian. :eek:

I kinda always figured he would be a human, like all the other Cadre members. I am not saying that I am mad about this (quite the opposite. It is always nice to see another Calamarian), but it sure caught me by suprise.

Are there any other sources for Marshal Starkiller? I presume he was a famous pilot, right?

--Adm. Nick

2. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Everyone assumes he was a pilot just because his title has "marshall" in it. There were marshalls on the battlefield long before there was any such thing as aircraft.

Anyway, yes, I'm deeply disappointed that Galaxies has screwed up yet again in their depiction of a character. Granted, extremely little has been stated about him so far, but "Pashna Starkiller" is clearly not a Mon Cal name, and given the isolated backstory of the Mon Cals that existed at the time Pashna was created, he was clearly not meant to be one.

I keep hoping that this Pashna Starkiller will turn out to be the real Pashna Starkiller's adopted son or something.

3. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    LOL, Galaxies does it again! Like when Zekka Thyne was a Bothan or something.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The name is the biggest problem for me. If the characters name was just Pashna, I would shrug and say it could be any species. However, Starkiller is about as un-Calamarian a name you get.

--Adm. Nick

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    jSarek: And by marshall[sic] I am sure you mean marshal, from maréchal.

Marshal as a military title (in France) and rank (in Germany, UK, etc) is not as old a practice as one might think. Prior to the mid 18th century, the title 'marshal'--like 'admiral'--referred to a single Great Officer of State, much like Grand Chamberlain or Chancellor of the Exchequer.

6. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    The other Starkiller in the EU is a KOTOR Mando, so maybe he was adopted or descended from ancestors that were adopted by Mandos, and then left when they couldn't find a helmet that fit? ;)

7. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Yes, I meant "Marshal." The common surname "Marshall" always throws me off when I try to spell the rank.

As for the age of the rank, that sounds about right; all I knew was it dated at least to the Napoleonic Wars. I'd still say that's old enough to make my original statement true.

But didn't Admiral always refer to a naval rank in the West, taken from the Arabic Emir-al-bahr, Lord of the Sea?

8. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Never mind, McEwok just pointed me to several sources on the topic. Teach me to trust an etymological dictionary old enough to be in the public domain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.