main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Path of Dark Persuasion-The New Palpatine Characterization Thread: New Challenge is up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by unlimited-power, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    *doesn't know what direction the Sith have taken in the Legacy comics series*

*doesn't read those*

A quick summary, anyone?

Pretty please??[face_batting]

:D

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Me either!

3. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Neither do I. I haven't read past NJO.

4. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Heh.

I didn't even get that far.

5. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I guess we could cheat and look it up on wookieepedia :p

6. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    BTW, when is another challenge going to be started?

:oops: I did it again! I hit the wrong button. I meant to edit, not quote! [face_blush]

7. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    Well, I'm hooked on the Legacy comics... Cade Skywalker is kind of a hottie...

Anyway, The whole Rule of One (in my opinion) seems to have gone out the window...

Ashrad Het (i'm sure I just botched the spelling on that one) is the new Sith Lord... But, he has several minions (who hasn't seen the half naked red painted Twi'Lek's at a convention lately)... She's among many.

But, lets see... He's the Sith Lord, The Vong are the good guys (sort of) They're helping out the Jedi... Um..... Hett, who's know Lord Krayt (spelling again??) but, he's got these Vong growths that are killing him and he's spent time in stasis...

Um... there's a hot little blue chick named Dahlia Blue (again... probably messed up the spelling horribly)...

I'm mostly wondering what Palpatine would think of a "Sith Lord" with several "Darth Vader" type underlings doing his bidding...

Luke and Mara make Force Ghost appearances... and Cade Skywalkers lineage hasn't been disclosed yet... So, we don't know who's line he came from Invincible spoiler (New Legacy of the Force series)Except that it's probably not Jacen's

I just think that Palpatine was really into the only two thing... One with the power and one to kill the other one to get it...So, I figure he wouldn't be too happy about the whole more than two thing???

That's probably not the best bit of summarizing... I'll try to get a die hard Legacy fan to give one for me... But, mostly I was thinking about the more than two thing...

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I think he would be opposed to it because it would weaken the lines of the Sith. It would be a way to foster discord and greediness rather than strength and ambition.

9. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I'll try to get a die hard Legacy fan to give one for me...

Reporting for duty. :-B h_p asked if I would pop in and try to give a quick summary of what?s going on with the Sith in the Legacy comics. :D

Out-of-universe: When the creators of the Legacy comics sat down to outline the story, they decided that they wanted ?Sith, but lots of them,? so that?s why they number in the thousands.

In-universe: h_p hit the high points. Darth Krayt is currently the leader of the Sith. He was a former Jedi from the Clone Wars ? known as A?Shaard Hett in the Republic comics ? and, I don?t know the story, but there was a history/animosity between him and Anakin Skywalker.

He is a human who was raised by Tusken Raiders and, after surviving Order 66, he went back to Tatooine to rejoin the Tuskens and embrace their way of life. Sometime between ROTS and ANH, his tribe decided to destroy a certain moisture farm we all know and love so well. Bad idea. ;) Obi-Wan showed up to defend the Lars homestead and kicked Hett?s arse when Hett refused to back down. (I?m not even an Obi-Wan fan and it was freakin' sweet!)

Hett considered himself to have been shamed in front of his people, went into self-imposed exile and eventually ended up on the Sith planet of Korriban where he found a Sith holocron and trained under the Sith lord, Xoxaan.

After that, he went into the Unknown Regions and was captured by the Yuuzhan Vong (pre-NJO) who implanted him with coral seeds as an experiment. Hett met Vergere and, I won?t get into the whole is-Vergere-a-Sith-or-not? thing, but he had a brief conversation with her and she explained about the Vong and that Vader & Palpatine were dead by a Skywalker?s hand, etc. etc. and she taught him how to use his pain, like she would later teach Jacen. (According to the LotF novels, Vergere was once a "Sith adept" under Palpatine, but didn't approve of his ideas.)

While in an Embrace of Pain, Hett/Krayt had a vision to create a new order of Sith, which he told to Vergere. I'll type part of it here because I think it might be relevant to your discussion.

Hett/Krayt: "Power without purpose is meaningless. The galaxy is chaotic. Order must be imposed because it will never be chosen."

Vergere: "The Vong spies speak of a new Jedi order being created by the son of Anakin Skywalker ? by the son of Vader."

Hett/Krayt: "The Jedi will not do it. A new order of Sith must be created in secret. My Sith will be many, but they will be one. The Order itself above all. Power magnified by its focus."

Vergere: "That will take time and Skywalker?s Jedi will grow stronger. Lord Bane said that power cannot be shared. That there must be only two ? one with the power and the other to crave it."

Hett/Krayt: "When they began, the Sith were many. Bane changed the rules and changed the Sith ? now I will change them again."

- Legacy # 18

Vergere abandoned him, he got free and went back to Korriban to build his Sith order at the same time that the Vong invaded the GFFA. He survived the century between the NJO and the Legacy comics by going into stasis for periods of time.

Currently, the Sith are a ?culture and civilization to rival any in the galaxy,? according to Darth Talon (the red & black Twi?lek) who was born a Sith and has known no other life.

Just before the start of the Legacy comics, Krayt overthrew Emperor Fel and is now ruler of the galaxy. (However, the Jedi, Galactic Alliance, and Fel loyalists are not amused and are moving into position to fight back. There are also a couple of Sith who appear to have their own agendas...)

So, the question is: What Would Palpatine Think? o_O

(various edits for markups and content)

10. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I believe Palpatine would think Darth Krayt is creating more chaos instead of bringing order.

11. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Thanks Trace...

I think that Palpatine didn't necessarily buy into the whole "two" thing all the time...

He had many hands like Mara... But, I don't know that they would be considered to be Sith hopefuls or that he shared as much with them as he did Vader... I've always kind of thought that he mostly manipulated Anakin... And maybe not necessarily to overthrow him one day to take over as Sith Lord numero uno...

I don't think Palpatine would have liked the Sith as many instead of a few... It kind of takes away from the whole Unlimited Power thing he had a liking for...

So, as far as that goes... Of course, I don't know what the whole Force Unleashed game will do for things... Since Vader has a secret apprentice... I wonder if Palpatine really knew and induldged or what... WE'll have to wait and see what happens with that whole chapter of the GFFA...

It's just one of those things thats kind of intersting to think about...

It has always seemed to me that Palpatine was into the whole Eliteness of the Sith... The I'm Sith A and my apprentice is Sith B... but, I'll always be better than the B man.

But, he did tell Yoda that Vader would be more powerful than any both himself and Yoda... But, was bragging about creating such a powerful apprentice under the Jedi's nose not part of his whole Unlimited Power thing... Maybe he just did it to see how far he could go with his plan while using the Jedi as pawns in his scheme for intergalactic dominance...

Who knows... It's just cool to think about sometimes.

12. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Well...

This is my conception of Palpy and of that whole era of Sith:

The Sith, basically, are a religion of sorts the same way the Jedi are, in that their training contains a whole philosophy of the universe and why it is the way it is.

Generally, when people try to answer those questions, they're really trying to answer only one question: Why is there pain and suffering, especially for me?

The Jedi answer is that it's all a great mystery, but it's all ultimately good and one must try to be a good person and handle the pain by nonattachment, acceptance, inner strength, and all that highfaluting mumbo-jumbo. (At least, that's how Palpy tells me he looks at it. He's hanging over my shoulder right now.[face_skull])

The Sith explanation for why the universe is the way it is, is that the universe is basically a bad place, and the best way through it is to take control yourself, so that you can control what happens to you. This is the real reason the Sith attempt to control death--it is the worst thing that can happen to one, is it not? (Thank you, Palpy.) Bane felt not only that more than two Sith would kill each other for power, causing the Order to destroy itself, but also that if there were only two, then power would be concentrated in the hands of these two to such a degree that unlocking the secret of controlling death could finally be achieved. (Since, of course, cheating death is the most difficult feat, it requires the maximum strength in the Force which can be achieved.) The more people you yourself have power over, the greater your power and the greater your strength in the Force. And you really need it in such a bad universe.

Having been trained in this tradition, Palpy wouldn't approve at all of what's happened now for two reasons: One, these Sith will start to vie for power and destroy one another (if they don't do this they aren't true Sith, and thus aren't worthy of the name), and two, it's nice to hear that a Sith once again rules the galaxy (Palpy's note: And a real miracle, too, for one trained like this, spoken with a patronizing sniff), but this Sith will never hold enough power to achieve the ultimate purpose for which the Order was originally created. ("You didn't think we wanted to rule the entire Galaxy for nothing, did you?")

In fact, His Imperial Majesty informs me that if this fool should be the cause of the ultimate death of Sith teachings and practice, he will not be a bit pleased.

13. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I hate to ask this again, but it appears it wasn't noticed the last time I asked...

Are we going to get another challenge?

14. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    I think Ish has one in the works... I'll get with her and see that we get it on its way!!

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I do have one that will be going up tonight.

16. unlimited-power

unlimited-power Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2008
    The new challenge is up!

Challenge:

Nearly twenty years passed between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. Write a story set during Palpatine's time as Emperor.

17. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    I think it would be tremendous fun to do a Palpy round robin.

The only ones I've ever seen went the way of the dinosaur many years ago.

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    *blanch* Now that would be...interesting.

19. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Round Robin... Now, that is a really cool idea...

Sounds like a grand ol' time...

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Me and LLL are both working on the round-robin fanfilm script. I, personally, will not be doing RRs for a couple of months. :)

21. hyperspace_police

Jun 22, 2005
    Any challenge takers out there?

22. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    I don't know when/if I'm going to finish mine.

Too busy...[face_tired]

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm working on it. And LLL, what's your excuse?

24. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Um...my house is a freakin' MESS after being gone one weekend, having the car break down the next, having to shop for a new car, then that one getting TOWED, I'm running out of food in the house, and, oh, yes, spending one entire week of free time on the CFF script.

I need to bow out for a few and just attend to keeping my life going.

[face_tired]

25. abc21

abc21 Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2008
    palpatine is evil at its worst. there are no good characteristics about him at all. lucas says he is pure evil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.