main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[PC, PS3, 360] Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by moosemousse, Jul 13, 2011.

1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Mark Strong (Titus) interview: http://au.ign.com/videos/2011/08/22/warhammer-40k-space-marine-mark-strong-interview

2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Pre-ordered Collector's Edition and about to play the demo. This game looks so dope.

3. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    OK so I have completed the demo and I can confirm that it kicks ass. Shame there's no multiplayer beta/demo included because if enough people stick around in that then I might well be sorted for when everybody and their dogs is playing Modern Warfail 3 come November.

4. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I'll just be sticking to single player I think. Multiplayer feels like it might be a bit too twitchy for my tastes.

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Played the demo. Not really thrilled with it, certainly not enough to warrant a preorder. Maybe wait for the next summer sale, or something.

6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I've completed the demo now and I have to say that it's a work of art. The combat is fast and furious, the combos are slick, the executions are fun, and the guns are great. I can't wait to get my hands on the Thunder Hammer *and* jump pack, that'll be too much fun.

7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    As if Ground Pounding isn't enough fun by itself :D

8. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    There's a video about this on XBL with some single player footage and some multiplayer info and footage too. Looks like the multiplayer will be as much fun as the single player, though I note that health regenerates 'normally' during multiplayer and not with executions, which kind of makes sense. It'll launch with two game modes so I'm guessing there'll be some DLC to come. No mention of the number of maps, but that's ok.

9. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Week and a half to go moose, I cannot wait!

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I've been playing the demo for a week, starting to irritate my ife with it, but it's so gloriously over-the-top - tonight I did a shouldercharge on an orc by accident, so damn cool.

And then there's Mark Strong voicing Titus as a total hard bastard who'll take anyone apart.

Oh and chainsawing an enemy in half never really gets old does it?

11. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    It's out this week!!! I'm tempted to spend the first half an hour or so just tweaking my armour setup for the multiplayer mode. :D

12. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Same. Although I might be checking out all the goodies that come with the Collector's Edition first.

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I can't afford the collector's edition, otherwise I'd be doing that too. ;)

I'm mostly interested in the art book though. Games Workshop art books are always good. I got Inquis Exterminatus when it first came out and I love it. It's now a PoD book which is great because the art is amazing and it means that those who missed out the first time can get it now.

14. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Change of plans, can't afford the Collector's Edition any more so had to cancel and change to standard. Stupid upfront internet installation fees. Unless I can get reimbursed by housemates then looks like I'm S.O.L. [face_frustrated]

15. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    That's a shame. :( Here's hoping things change in the next day or so!

16. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    To quote a fellow mod: GLORIOUS

[image=http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6079/6126145229_b504be0ecf_o.png] [image=http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6078/6126689602_9406169e34_o.png] [image=http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6192/6126691588_fd20255c4e_o.png] [image=http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6088/6126143113_fab22862f0_o.png]

17. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Curse you Royal Mail and your inability to deliver items to this address before 1pm:mad:

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Got mine after a bit of panic, but it's all good and I'm loving it all. :D

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Things I'd like to know before buying from those who are playing:

There's no stealth sections are there? These guys are as far away from that as could be possible but you never know.

Are bosses more imaginative than 'feels no pain and can just keep hitting you even though you're sawing the thing's nuts off with a chainsword' ?

I'll likely get this but in a couple of months when the price has fallen, probably in the post-Xmas sales.

20. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I don't know anything about the singleplayer but as far as I can tell lag is the real problem with multiplayer. As moose and I discovered this morning:p

Honestly though, connection issues on games like this, ie. games that don't have Halo, Call of Duty or Battlefield in the title, are pretty much expected, so it doesn't really bother me that much. And aside from that I'm really enjoying the MP experience. The sniper is pretty epic when hit detection works for you:p

21. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Yeah, I've had issues with lag a few times. Mostly it's been fine though. It's certainly enjoyable, though my plan to check out armour combos fell through when I found out I had to unlock the armour pieces. :oops:

The closest thing to stealth is using the sniper bolter to shoot things at a distance. You're 8' tall and built like a tank (except maybe this tank), the ground quakes with every thunderous footstep, and you ask about stealth? How would you stealth kill with what can only be described as a giant chainsword and a large hand cannon? :p

That's what I love about this game. It's completely over the top in almost every way. As far as I can tell it's true to the game in most ways. The grenade launcher wasn't in the game, and I don't think the sniper bolter was either.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    [face_laugh] See, that is what I'm finding so attractive too!

It's just that stealth has become so prevalent to a degree, sometimes it seems especially in a game where you play a hard bastard and then: Yes, you're super-hard but for this bit if you get spotted you're screwed and no you can't simply tell everyone to bring it and kill 'em all!

23. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I've only found a few places where I haven't gone charging into battle going 'guns? what guns? I don't need no guns' and smashing the melee button until everything is dead. Those times where when my health is low and my armour is gone and I need to wait for my armour to recharge so I can get some executions in to get my health back. As much as I love the way of getting health back, it can cause problems sometimes, especially as you still take damage while performing executions.

Oh, and Just after you get to the Valkyries you have to man a heavy bolter. I was both saddened and annoyed that I lost my lovely hammer when the Valkyrie crashed and had to make do with a chainsword. But then I got an axe not long after that so I was happy again.

Blue seems an appropriate colour for spoilers, seeing as Ultramarines are blue.

24. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Oh my God dude that jump pack bit with the Thunder hammer was probably the most fun I've had so far in the campaign. Helps too that with the hammer you don't need to mash B to execute the big Orks (Ork Nobs? lol). Also helps that one Ground Pound with that thing insta-stun-mode's them; makes dealing with those guys with the mortar launchers, that are usually a gigantic pain in the ass, a whole lot easier.

I just wish Captain Titus wasn't so goody-goody.

25. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Probs should have mentioned this yesterday when I actually completed the game but that ending was one of the most underwhelming cliffhangers I've ever experienced. Maybe it was the shoddy voice acting of the Inquisitor. Leandros is gonna pay though, even if it was kinda obvious he would rat Titus out at some point.