main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

People in your 'real life'

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Qwi_Xux, Feb 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Just out of curiosity, do the people in your 'real life' know about your part in the boards? Do they know you write fanfic? If so, what do they think about it? If not, do you want to keep it to yourself for any particular reason?

2. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Good Question, Qwi ;) I once encouraged one of my friends to join this boards and explore. She ended up reading one of my fics and starting one of her own, which got no replies. She was then drawn off SW and is now only interested in the movies. She says that it would take to long to read ItMF, so she hasn't bothered. Generally, I try to keep what I do on the net a secret, when asked. This is my hideaway, where I can act different, write and no fear of getting flamed. It's another world completely.

Am [face_love]

3. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    I have told my friends about this. They think it is cool that I write. Though some of my friends still can't get it that I write more than SW, and annoy me constantly about it.

4. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Well, they know. My mother gives me a patient tone of voice, the rest of my family just gives a blank stare. A couple of my friends know what I do and think the writing is cool (though they can't figure out why I don't write something I can make money on instead, and I must admit there are times I wonder that, too :)). I did get a friend of mine to come into an argument on the Senate Floor, but he comes and goes. He's on other boards, so he gets it.

5. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    My geekdom (or is that 'nerdliness'?) for Star Wars has been obvious to my family for years, so they basically ignore it by now.

I had a cousin that came here once, but that was years ago.

As far as the boards go, I really haven't told anybody that I write stories here. I suppose it's easier to let strangers read my stuff than to have people who know me read it.

6. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    My family knows, my friends know. At first everyone was up in arms about me spending so much time online...now they've given up and let me go about my thing. The worst part is when my mom tries to explain that I write fanfiction to someone else--I swear she just smiles and nods her head anymore. :p

7. BlindMan

BlindMan Jedi Master star 2

Nov 25, 2001
    Nope. If they knew the sort of things I wrote, they'd probably lock me up... :)

Actually, the anonymity of the 'net allows me to let my hair down more than I might otherwise in Real Life--and I can do so without getting any weird looks from folks, or worrying about the men in the little white suits... :)

If anything, though, my shenanigans on the 'net are *helping* me to let my hair down and loosen up a bit more in Real Life. So I suppose it's just a cheap bit of therapy for me...

:) Blind Man

8. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Only two of my friends know that I write fan fics. And I got one to write her own here, SunnyBubbles. We are really good friends in real life.

My family knows I come here a lot, but I minimize the windows when they go by. They don't know I write fan fics either. And I am glad they don't. I would rather keep to myself because I can do what I want here and feel comfortable doing it. But, I can share it with my friend who comes here because she understands how the boards work.

I think if my family knew, I would have to change my screen name. I tried explaining the concept of fan fiction and how the stories work at the boards to my brother and he looks at me like I'm crazy.

9. Jacinta_Kenobi

Jacinta_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    My mother knows.

My dad...kind of knows....he doesn't like Star Wars.

My friends? 3 friends, exactly.

Other than that?

NO WAY!

10. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Heh, interesting thread you've got going here.

I've got nothing to hide, even the kids I teach know-- the Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker action figures on my desk explain it all.

My parents know-- they thought it was just a stage . . . 10 years ago.

11. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    Family: Yes- we've had countless arguements about my internet time. Nuff' said. :(

Friends: No way! I'm sorry but I got a reputation to keep. People know I love to write though the Star Wars thing I leave out. There is a group of people at my school who probably are members here but after hearing all the cruel things people say about them I've kept my mouth tightly shut. Conceited? Yes, of course. But I'm a wimp... [face_plain]

12. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I'll quote Caine, "Look life straight in its eye."

Why run from the truth?

13. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    "Real Life?" I don't get it. What is everyone talking about? :confused:

14. jade_angel

jade_angel Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Real life: The world that's beyond your computer... where people use their mouths to speak to one another and go to places such as malls and other places for entertainment.

And no, no one knows that I go here on the JC save for my brother, as far as my friends car they wouldn't care, yeah I'm a geek, stuck with geeky friends who insist on studying 12 hours a day and doing their homework at lunch in a noisy cafeteria ;)

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    LOL!!! I'm one of those people that can't help but talk about my obsessions!!

Of course my family knows. It was my daughter who introduced me to fanfic and this board in particularly... of course now she wishes she hadn't as she has to wait till I'm done with the computer to get online. :) Hubby knows and is very patient and teases me endlessly about my writing.

Everyone willing to listen at work knows about my love of SW, QGJ and writing. I get teased there too but the benefit is that if someone sees something TPM related they get it for me. I've got some really neat gifts that way, including a set of SW audio tapes from an original radio drama done in 1981, a life size Yoda from a Pesi display and a set of paper birthday party plates with Qui-Gon on them, one which is taped to the front of my file cabinet at work. :D :D

Since I've talked readily about writing and most know my author name, a friend has also given me the nickname of Feeler Leona! LOL!!!

16. FurryDuck

FurryDuck Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    My parents and my sister all know that I come to the boards a lot, but I think only my mom and sister know that I like to write.

None of my friends know that I write fan fic. I just think it's nice to talk to different people, and I'm more comfortable having strangers read my stories than my friends (even though I haven't posted anything here yet).

17. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    My mom not only knows I write fanfic, she likes to read it. She thinks, however, that I should go "professional". I was like, "Dude, where's my feedback gonna come from?" ;)

A couple of select friends know, and they go to these boards, so no worries about my "reputation"..... :p

18. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    EVERYBODY in my real life knows I spend as much time as possible online at the JC.

Of course if my parent's knew what I had written in some of my fan fictions they'd probably ground me for life!

19. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Oh boy, I'm sure some of you remember my Blue Orchids rant on this...but I've calmed down since then. :) So without further ado:

Family: My mom knows I'm obsessed and spend most of my free time on the net writing fanfiction, and my dad couldn't care less. My brother, who I would call one of my harshest critics, hates all things NJO/Post ROTJ, but he's recently taken an interest in Before There Were Lightsabers. It's nice to have him to bounce ideas off of and such.

Friends: I suppose this is where the Blue Orchids category fit in... I don't like having friends on the boards because I'm a lot different online then I am to them, and I don't appreciate having people invade my personal life online. Besides, there are a LOT of places I hang out on here, so it bothers me. My one friend, the "intruder" on Blue Orchids, has kept reading Always in my Heart and BTWL, but I don't welcome it much. But hey, most everyone (except my English teacher last year) has enjoyed my stories and fanfiction. :)

20. Lisse

Lisse Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2001
    No one knows. Period. To be perfectly blunt, most of my friends consider watching any science fiction/fantasy movie more than once or twice an "obsession". I've heard them call fanfic writers "weird" and "crazy".

To be fair, some of that is my fault. I'm rather preppy, I'm heavily involved in sports and assorted social scenes, and while I wasn't the most popular person in high school (mostly b/c I wouldn't talk down to people or spread very nasty rumors), I was kinda ostracized by the self-defined geeks for somehow selling out to mainstream culture. Personally I don't understand that. Why do fanfic writers have to fit into a certain social stereotype? I can't even talk about writing at sf cons, as people tend to assume that I'm there to point and giggle condescendingly. Even if I wanted to discuss fanfic, I couldn't. Hence the JC and other online forums. Real life can suck sometimes.

Sorry. Rant done now.

21. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    My family knows, and most just shake their heads. The only ones in real life who have read my stuff are, my brother and his wife, but then my brother reads my SW books after I'm done, and my sister-in-law teaches writing and has some small things published. It is nice to have them for encouragement. I need it to balance all those other people that say, oh yeah Mariah's a Star Trek fan. Ahhhhhhhhh!

22. princess-sari

princess-sari Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2000
    Well, my parents know and that's it. They don't have a problem with it, but they don't really get it either and they've never read any of my fanfic.

I won't tell my friends, even the SW fans, because I know already what they think about message boards and I don't need the grief.
    Besides, I kinda like having this place "to myself," something none of my RL friends can intrude on. Hey, a girl needs her secrets. ;)

23. ThatJediGirl

Mar 11, 2001
    To add to my previous reply:

Well, my family knows how I go here a lot. They give me weird looks when I suddenly minimize all the windows and they say sometimes: I'm not looking! Jeez.

But they do not know that I write fics here. No no!

24. ThatJediGirl

Mar 11, 2001
    Also, it took me forever to explain that I will sit here for 2 or more hours and read and reply to stories.

And hour to read the 20 or more stories (that was in the summer at least, now I am reading less), and then another hour to reply. Then I have to explain to them how stories are just posted all at once, that they are posted in posts or chapters. And that I have to reply so the writer knows that they have readers and will continue to post for me to read.

It's just chaos. And they aren't the brightest people sometimes.

25. SunnyBubbles

SunnyBubbles Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2001
    I like this question. And I've liked reading the replies.

My family knows I come here. And they know I write fan fics. My mom knows I have a story posted here. But they seem to show no interest in reading my stuff and I like it that way. Sometimes I minimize things on the screen when someone walks by but not often. And if I do, my mom yells at me, "Ashley! I'm not trying to read off it! I don't care what you're doing on there!" She gets a little too emotional about it, don't you think?

My friends know I write. We actually sometimes write together. Only one of my friends actually comes here as much if not more than I do: ThatJediGirl. Another friend I think came here once. But she doesn't like to read the stories. And my best friend, (who is a guy) knows I write a story and post it on the JC, but he never shows interest in reading them either.

A guy that I had a crush on was talking to me one night on AOL Instant Messenger. I told him I like to stay up and write stories and post them on the internet for people to read. He asked me where to go to read them but I denied him access. Teehee. I told him he would not appreciate my writings and I never told him I write Star Wars stories.

~Ashley [face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.