main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Perfectly Normal (L/M, humor, romance) - completed - author replies 5/19/08

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Gabri_Jade, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedimaster_JainaSolo

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2003
    wonderful post. Too bad they can;t get normal to work for them...but I have a feeling the babysitting adventures could get interesting...

[face_cowboy]Dana[face_cowboy]

2. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    From normal to abnormal in the blink of an eye. I'm sure watching the Solo terrors will be far from normal.

3. bkbva

bkbva Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2005
    "Besides, I can change out of the wet clothes at your place. You have an extra tunic and pants I could borrow until we get to my place, don't you? Better that than you trying to fit into one of my other dresses if we went to my place first."

[face_laugh] Truly sounds like something she'd say. And what a vision I'm getting, too! [face_blush]

Barkhimkh inclined his head solemnly. "I shall not, then." He stood aside to let them enter, then continued. "The secondsons and seconddaughter of Vader require your presence."

Now that's not fair! They got out of baby sitting, and now they're stuck anyway! ;)

Let's face it, normal is whatever is usual for them, not for other people. I'd say, this is probably what's going to pass for normal from here on out.

4. J_M_Bulldog

J_M_Bulldog Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    Aw, I didn't know that. Thank you! You're welcome and thank you for such a great story. Hmm, *grins* stories

Hehe, poor Luke and Mara. Flat out say no to baby-sitting and still end up with it. Why do I get the feeling this is going to be very interesting?

5. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    "It'll clean," he said. "Besides, I don't happen to have any towels in the storage area."

Isn't it fun trying to think up alternative words for Earth terms like 'trunk'? :p

Mara hoped no traffic officers happened across their path; she doubted that a speeding citation would improve Luke's mood.

Oh, now, you really should have included getting pulled over for a speeding ticket. Especially if Luke didn't get any more celebrity treatment than he did at the restaurant. LOL!

"They're eleven and ten years old," Mara said, turning to Luke disbelievingly. "How much trouble could they possibly get in?"

Famous last words.

"More comfortable than trying to fit in anything sized for you, dear," Mara said grimly, strapping them back on. Now she really was a picture, Luke's clothes draping voluminously on her and paired with broken high-heeled dress shoes.

In the movies, don't they just break off the other heel, so the shoes match? I seem to remember Michael Douglas lopping off Kathleen Turner's heels with a machete in Romancing the Stone. Luke could've used a lightsaber, proving he's just as good with delicate carving as Mara. :p

Great chapter! Looking forward to seeing how the evening goes with the Solo terrors. :D

6. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    I can't wait to find out what the kids managed to do to the house...and to hear their explanations.

Let's go, before Barkhimkh works himself into whatever passes for a state with Noghri.

[face_thinking]Now that would be a sight to behold![face_laugh]

7. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Reading Noghri expressions was tricky, but Mara thought that Barkhimkh looked faintly puzzled. "It is no joke," he answered. "The Mal'ary'ush is unavailable, and her translating droid is - perhaps not the best choice of guardian."

I love the phrasing there - how it's hard to read a Noghri and what is surely the understatement of the year from Barkhimkh. :D

"They're eleven and ten years old," Mara said, turning to Luke disbelievingly. "How much trouble could they possibly get in?"

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Oh yeah. They're about to find out what "normal" is like for parents, LOL.

8. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Poor Luke and Mara. I'm wondering if by the time this is over, Mara will be reconsidering her 'yes' to his proposal. [face_laugh] I like your bits of Mara insight and how she's pretty much taking everything in stride. I just wonder how much more she can take before... :eek: Wonderful update! :D

9. Rivad_Bacar2

Rivad_Bacar2 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2004
    [face_laugh] You have no idea, do you, Mara?
    As an uncle to... hmmm, let's see here, one, two three... uh, 22? [Recounts.] Yep, 22! :D, 22 neices and nephews, all I have to say is they can get into a lot of trouble! Looking forward to more! [face_peace]

10. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Awww! Beautiful work! Wonderful fic!

Your'e nailing Luke's and Mara's both strong and at this stage still fragile relationship perfectly! At the same time the humour is marvellously timed and in character!

I adore the way they TRY to please each other, to keep the small talk going and to be normal.
    Also adore Luke teasing Leia in second chapter! Thats' something rarely seen!
    And I can't believe Luke really had bribe the man! - I'm still chuckling!

11. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Loved the conversation with the Noghri; you did an excellent job of making him sound alien, which he should. I'm almost fearful to read what the Solo children have planned, but can't wait to see what you come up with.

12. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    Lovely update!!!! LOL...poor Luke and Mara....could anything else go wrong?! [face_laugh] I love the mental image of Mara's new fashion look!! :p What new terrors await the two of them?

Huggles!
    [face_good_luck] Irish

13. walker-of-minds

walker-of-minds Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2006
    Love this-what else will go wrong?? maybe abnormal is their normal hmmmm

14. dyslecksec

dyslecksec Jedi Youngling

Jun 28, 2007
    I'm really enjoying this story. I like that the things that are going wrong are believable, rather than ridiculously, absurdly, roll-my-eyes wrong. Break a heel, check; lost reservations at "upscale" restaurant, check (been here); poor service, check. Needless to say, I feel bad for Mara and Luke. Everyone, galactic heroes especially, deserve some peace and normalcy once in a while.

15. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    *checks date* *sighs* You know, every post I've resolved to reply sooner. It isn't working very well. [face_blush]

Ordinarily she'd have been fuming at this point, but right now she was far more concerned with Luke's reaction - or more accurately, his lack of one.

I love this line. It works both ways, because I suspect that Luke probably is most upset because it's Mara, and he was trying so hard to get the dinner just right, while Mara is more concerned about his emotional state and less concerned with the not-so-brilliant restaurant.

Mara took a breath, suppressing the instinctive urge to snap that she didn't need protecting.

Nice touch. I'm thinking that a month ago, she might not have bothered to restrain that instinct. [face_thinking]

Luke shook his head and returned his attention to his piloting, smoothly shifting into another lane of traffic to avoid a driver going even faster than him. Mara hoped no traffic officers happened across their path; she doubted that a speeding citation would improve Luke's mood.

Another great touch. Flyboys, eh? :p Loved that Mara keeps an eye out for traffic officers on his behalf.

"The secondsons and seconddaughter of Vader require your presence."

Oh, dear. I thought they got out of babysitting too easily...

"You'd make anything look good," Luke answered with quick gallantry, but his eyes were doubtful.

Aw. This is such a Luke response. :D

"Still a cold-hearted business woman," Luke said, taking her hand. His palm was warm against hers, if still slightly sticky. "One of the many reasons I love you."

Mara squeezed his hand in return. "You do have strange preferences, Skywalker."

Aw again. :p I do love your banter. [face_love]

Another wonderful update - lots of fun, of course, and I adore the way you work in subtle character insights. Can't wait for the next part. :D

16. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Finally getting around to reading this after weeks of meaning to - and can I just say how brilliant it is. The banter flows so smoothly between them, and love the premise - Luke and Mara just can't catch a break can they? And you've included Noghri - win!

Looking forward to the next post.

17. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    It's Wednesday. I'm cranky about postgrad plans (or lack thereof). Where are you? [face_frustrated]

I guess I'll respond to your last update:
    I hate kids.

Ok, not really, but I am annoyed that they're ruining Luke and Mara's date, hahaha. At least I could still get some physical affection when the waitstaff at the restaurant was rude and/or broken, but I doubt I'm going to see much kissing with hyperactive children running about. How I hope I'm wrong! ;)

Ah, well, I did enjoy the return of the Noghri. It's been a while since I've heard tell of them (my own fault, of course), and I kinda forgot they existed. Now I have the urge to reread the Zahn trilogy, which is currently residing elsewhere. Alas. :(

I would, naturally, be perfectly happy to expound upon Thomas Aquinas and a bit of his writings on witchcraft. Here's something that will surprise you: he didn't like it, lol. But really, I mostly read blahblahblah; he was arguing different points, like whether or not a demon can perform real miracles to lead men astray. He says not real real (haha) miracles, but if we broaden the definition of miracle, then yeah, kinda...demons can fake it well enough, within the mind of man or in using things in nature to make something appear to be an act or a thing that is miraculous. I'm not really sure any of what I just typed makes sense, so maybe you'd better read it yourself. :p

Anyways, I'm in a class on the European witch "craze" that discusses roundabouts 900-1700, so if anyone has any questions, fire away and I'll try to figure it out! :D

18. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    This is just awesome!!! :D I really love that Luke and Mara are trying to be normal, as if that's possible. haha. Luke and Mara are just adorable! I'm definitely enjoying this L/M romance because it's been definitely missed in pro-fic (I HATE Karen Traviss! :mad: )

But anyway, I'm super exicted to catch more of this amusing fic. I can only imagine what the Solo kids have gotten themselves into...

19. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Thou art slacking, Gabri-ness. [face_mischief] [face_shame_on_you]

20. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Bri-chan: Hi, babe. ;) This post is definitely a bridge. I was a little concerned that it would be a boring bridge, but it was necessary.

And the image of her in those clothes and those shoes... I say they make it a night on the town after all.

You never know. O:)

But... water... noodle... LIMP!

Luke's an optimist that way. :cool:

If so, good mercy, stay out of his way.

Exactly. Even Mara is concerned about that scenario. Quiet and controlled Luke might be, but you don't really want to see him aggravated, either. ;)

Jedimaster_JainaSolo: Too bad they can;t get normal to work for them...but I have a feeling the babysitting adventures could get interesting...

Writing the adventures of babysitting the Solo kids would require an epic unto itself, but hopefully the abbreviated version in this story is worth reading. ;) Thanks!

RM: Well, very little about the Skywalker/Solo family has ever been normal, so at least it'll be familiar territory for Luke. Mara, now . . . :p

bkbva: Truly sounds like something she'd say. And what a vision I'm getting, too!

Well, Wedge, Tycho, Wes, and Hobbie did in fact wind up in drag in The Starfighters of Adumar. Luke would just be joining the elite ranks of his former squadron members. [face_batting]

Let's face it, normal is whatever is usual for them, not for other people.

Bingo. :D The question is simply how long it will take them to come to terms with that. :p

J_M_Bulldog: They can't buy a break, these two. :p Thanks again! [:D]

Michele: Isn't it fun trying to think up alternative words for Earth terms like 'trunk'?

So. Much. Fun. [face_tired] :p

Famous last words.

[face_batting]

In the movies, don't they just break off the other heel, so the shoes match? I seem to remember Michael Douglas lopping off Kathleen Turner's heels with a machete in Romancing the Stone. Luke could've used a lightsaber, proving he's just as good with delicate carving as Mara.

Well, I suppose they could have done that, if they'd (I'd [face_blush] ) thought of it. My excuse is that Mara is fond of those shoes and wants to fix the other one so she can wear them again, and breaking the other one is counterproductive. Hey, it's all I've got. :p

Blue_Milkshake: Now that would be a sight to behold!

If anyone could drive a Noghri to it, I'll bet it'd be the Solo kids. [face_thinking]

Trace: I love the phrasing there - how it's hard to read a Noghri and what is surely the understatement of the year from Barkhimkh.

They're understated guys, the Noghri. I like them. :D

Oh yeah. They're about to find out what "normal" is like for parents, LOL.

Which is scary, scary territory . . . [face_worried]

ginchy: I'm wondering if by the time this is over, Mara will be reconsidering her 'yes' to his proposal.

She might be insisting that they set up housekeeping on the other side of the galaxy from the Solos. Yavin IV might not be far enough. :p Well, when push comes to shove, Mara simply flat out refuses to be defeated by anything. That stubbornness should serve her well, marrying into this family. :p

Rivad: As an uncle to... hmmm, let's see here, one, two three... uh, 22? [Recounts.] Yep, 22!

Dear God. :eek: I have exactly one niece and one nephew, and they're quite enough of a handful, thank you very much. You have my utmost admiration. [face_hypnotized] Poor Mara, she's rarely if ever been around children, and her childhood was undoubtedly terrifyingly regimented. She doesn't understand how children and chaos go hand in hand. She'll learn. ;)

kataja: Thank you so much! :D They're both trying so hard to make the night pleasant for the other. If they would both relax and go with the flow a bit more, I think they'd be having more fun. [face_thinking] Glad you're enjoying the story. :)

BigFatty: Thank you! I like the Noghri. I'm glad I got their speech patterns right. :D Hope the babysitting secti

21. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    They found something, all right, Mara thought, blinking as they entered Leia's apartment. I think the technical term is "disaster area."

Machine parts were strewn over most of the floor and furniture, along with some hand spanners, datapads, and some scattered pellets that Mara thought might be animal food - or perhaps an animal's leavings. She decided not to think about that particular possibility. The gray shimmersilk drapes were askew, one pulled partway off its rod, and there were footprints on the pale blue sofa. Beyond the hallway, she could hear the children arguing loudly, along with some rather suspicious banging noises. Having seen Leia's apartment at times when it hadn't been under seige, she could well imagine that the Mal'ary'ush would indeed be displeased to see the results of her children's actions.

Beside her, Luke was muttering under his breath and looking not at all surprised. "Oh, for the love of -"

Anakin dashed into the living area and picked up one of the scattered hand spanners, then noticed the new arrivals. "Uncle Luke! Hi! Hi, Mara." The cheeriness of his tone did little to mask the guilty look on his face, and he sent a dirty look toward Barkhimkh, who was standing to the side and eyeing the living area grimly. "I didn't know you were here."

"Obviously," Luke said drily.

"Master Anakin, you really mustn't -" Threepio entered the living area well behind Anakin, clanking slightly as he walked. He saw Luke and Mara, and threw his arms up stiffly in an unmistakable expression of droid relief. "Master Luke! Mistress Mara! Thank the Maker! The children are being most trying this evening."

"I can see that, Threepio," Luke said, pinning Anakin in place with a glare. Luke took a breath, then bellowed, "Jaina! Jacen! Get out here right now!"

Silence fell abruptly. A head of tangled brown hair peeked around the corner. "Hi, Uncle Luke," Jaina said meekly. "When did you get here?"

"Never mind that. Get your brother and get out here." Jaina disappeared behind the corner, and Luke turned his glare on Barkhimkh. "None of you noticed this?"

Barkhimkh inclined his head apologetically. "We were patrolling the perimeter, Master Skywalker. Our primary responsibility was security. The Mal'ary'ush told us that her translator droid would care for the children within the apartment." He glared at Threepio out of the corner of his eye.

Threepio sputtered in indignation. "I offered the children a wide range of stories to choose from, but they simply refused to sit still. I'd like to see you do better, you gray-skinned oaf."

"Be quiet, both of you," Luke said, rubbing his forehead wearily. Mara linked her arm with his, unsure whether she was moved more by a desire to offer comfort or receive it. This was normal family life? She could expect this sort of scene if she and Luke had children? She wondered if she could talk Luke into adopting a stray rancor instead.

Jaina and Jacen reentered the living area, looking slightly wary. "Hi, Uncle Luke," Jacen said, as meekly as Jaina before him. "Hi, Mara."

Luke gestured to the mess. "Explanations?" The children all traded glances, but remained silent. Luke sighed. "Never mind. Just get it cleaned up. If this place isn't presentable before your mother gets home, you're in trouble with me as well as her."

There were more quietly exchanged glances, then, subdued, the children began gathering the debris.

Something brushed against Mara's ankle. She glanced down, but saw nothing - well, almost nothing. The hem of one of her pant legs swayed slightly. Suspicious, Mara lifted that pant leg and discovered a very familiar-looking blue lizard clinging to her ankle. It looked up at her and flicked its tongue.

"That's it," Mara said. "It's official. The entire galaxy is against us tonight."

Luke glanced down and did a double take. "Is that the same -"

"No," Mara said, bending down to gently pry the lizard off her ankle. "It has a tail. But it's definitely the same kind."

"You found him!" Ja

22. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    C'mon now. By this time, it's habit. :p :D

Edit: On time this time! [face_dancing]

Luke's an optimist that way.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] Mind... so many places... all of them so very wrong. O:)

Anywho, story time. :cool:

Damn, you'd think by the age of double-digits, the curtains would at least stay up. :p The bend of Threepio's joints and the manner of his demeanor never did seem very suited to adequate babysitting. I always found it interesting, if convenient, that the EU always pawned the children's care off on him if Winter wasn't around.

They all become so meek and mild when dear ol' uncle shows up. So endearing. :p I LOVE the appearance of the second lizard! :eek: [face_laugh] That was a nice touch, and even more I love the convo with Jacen about how that's not the specific lizard his mom said to keep in its cage. It really is about every last detail in the semantics when dealing with kids. :p It certainly was with me. [face_mischief] Still is, come to think about it... [face_thinking] [face_mischief]

Wow, the GFFA equivalent to Chucky Cheese's, eh? You're downright awful to these characters, Gabri. :p

Luke smiled and took her in his arms. "I really do love you, you know."

"Damn right you do," Mara said, and reached up to kiss him.

But little touches like that help you get away with it. [face_love] ;)

And on a final note, this: Isn't it fun trying to think up alternative words for Earth terms like 'trunk'?

So. Much. Fun.

Is so supremely well timed that I can't even stand it. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

*runs away giggling madly* [face_devil]

23. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Luke is good with the kids. I hate those kinds of restaurants - can't hear a thing if you are trying to have a conversation. Mara really should break the other heal, but it wouldn't be as funny. :p

24. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Great post! :D I love that Luke and Mara let the kids choose the place to eat. And Mara still can't seem to get rid of those broken shoes. [face_laugh] I'm just loving this.

And to respond to your earlier comment:
    I've rarely been happy with the way the L/M relationship has been portrayed in profic, myself. *sigh* But having met and conversed with Karen Traviss at C4, I have to say that she was truly a lovely person: friendly, accessible (recall that this was right when Sacrifice was released, and she was at the time surrounded by a pack of Mara fans), not the least bit condescending in any way, and completely gave me the impression that she appreciated Mara as a character and tried to do her justice. I personally disagree with her interpretation of Mara (not to mention Mara's fate and how it came about), but Karen herself was very nice. It led to my brain being very muddled for a few weeks, as I alternately threw Sacrifice against the wall, then felt guilty because Karen had been so nice, read a bit more, threw the book again, lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm glad you're enjoying the story! Hope the rest of it lives up to your expectations.

I'm sure Karen Traviss is a wonderful woman... I just don't have to like her right now. :p I just caught up with LOTF very recently so Sacrifice is still very fresh in my mind. I'm sure you must have been having some trouble since she had been so nice... but still! haha. I can't even imagine being her right after Sacrifice was released though... must have been a very interesting time.

And I guess I understand why she did it.... I just really don't like it. Mara has always been one of my favorite characters and I was just so shocked. I don't think I can ever forgive her. :( haha.

25. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    That was a GOOD post Gabri!!!! Very very realistic...I should know! Absolutely wonderful portrayal...and I like decisive!Luke! Very refreshing. And Mara was spentabular as well!

So happy to see an update! Can't wait for more!!
    [face_good_luck] Irish

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.