main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Perfectly Normal (L/M, humor, romance) - completed - author replies 5/19/08

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Gabri_Jade, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walker-of-minds

walker-of-minds Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 21, 2006
    WOW I so loved this fic! A perfect ending too.

2. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Gabri, I have to tell you, this is great. I mean it, this has been such a treat after a few hours spent wandering the boards, looking for something fresh and well-written. The pacing is perfect, the characterizations are spot on, (as usual ;) ,) and the story itself is funny, smart, and has just the right infusion of romance.

I just read the last few updates tonight, and reading about Luke and Mara with the kids reminded me strongly of experiences with my own niece and nephews (who I will be seeing tomorrow evening, coincidentally.) So cute! While I did read the parts with the kids with a hint of sadness, knowing the fate that befalls them later on, I was so happy to see them interacting like a normal family. Okay, maybe not a normal family, but certainly not a dysfunctional one. The EU has taken us down into this dark abyss of doom and gloom with Jacen going all freaky and trying to one-up his grandpa and Jaina having to make some tough decisions regarding her twin - not to mention the fact that Anakin is just dead - so it's nice to be reminded of why we loved these characters so long ago. This story makes me want to believe in Jacen, believe it or not. That probably wasn't your intention :p

As for the interaction between Luke and Mara, what can I say that hasn't already been said by everyone else fortunate enough to read this? This is the treatment they deserved to have in the profic. The easy comraderie, the romance that is not over-the-top but also not completely masked by sarcasm and retorts. It fits their personalities, and it's how I think they would have (and should have) behaved with one another, regardless of the Vong, Lumiya, and whatever other evil the EU sent their way.

And finally, reading about Blasteroids gave me an intense desire to go to Chucky Cheese's. I hope you're happy. [face_not_talking]

All in all, a wonderful little fic! Got any other multi-posters brewing somewhere? I'd love to read any of them.

3. Rivad_Bacar2

Rivad_Bacar2 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2004
    :oops: I missed two posts?! Bad Rivad! [face_shame_on_you]

This little series just had me chuckling Gabri! Even though everything went wrong according to the original plan, it all went right at the same time. Luke and Mara were just a couple of plain folks trying to make their relationship work, and what do ya know, they succeeded! Well done! =D=

Now... what can we do about tempting your muse for some more of your fine work? [face_batting]

4. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Darn school work...I fell waaaay behind! Such a wonderful piece, Gabri!

Bravo! =D=

5. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Catching up [face_blush]

You had me cracking up at the Luke/Jaina convo about X-wings vs. TIEs and A-wings.

"Or an X-wing," Luke suggested. Jaina made a face.

Ah, famous last words. [face_mischief]

"Well, not until we have our own kids," Luke said. "I was thinking that we could have about half a dozen. Or if you were willing to put just a little more effort into it, if we had ten, we could form a Skywalker-only squadron. Doesn't that sound like fun, Mara?"

*spit-take* Okay, that? That was funny! [face_laugh]

Loved every word, Gabri! =D= I'm going to miss this bright spot on Wednesdays.

[:D]

6. Sabre88

Sabre88 Jedi Youngling

Feb 29, 2008
    Great story, I loved it!!!

7. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Here with belated feedback! :D

Machine parts were strewn over most of the floor and furniture, along with some hand spanners, datapads, and some scattered pellets that Mara thought might be animal food - or perhaps an animal's leavings. She decided not to think about that particular possibility. The gray shimmersilk drapes were askew, one pulled partway off its rod, and there were footprints on the pale blue sofa. Beyond the hallway, she could hear the children arguing loudly, along with some rather suspicious banging noises. Having seen Leia's apartment at times when it hadn't been under seige, she could well imagine that the Mal'ary'ush would indeed be displeased to see the results of her children's actions.

LOL at the realism. Never underestimate what havoc children can wreak when given opportunity. :p

"Uncle Luke! Hi! Hi, Mara." The cheeriness of his tone did little to mask the guilty look on his face, and he sent a dirty look toward Barkhimkh, who was standing to the side and eyeing the living area grimly. "I didn't know you were here."

Hee, I can actually picture that look. Caught out! Uh-oh.

Luke took a breath, then bellowed, "Jaina! Jacen! Get out here right now!"

I do love the way you have Luke interact with the Solo kids. He comes across as a completely normal uncle. Who is perhaps a little cranky, understandably. :p

This was normal family life? She could expect this sort of scene if she and Luke had children? She wondered if she could talk Luke into adopting a stray rancor instead.

I love this line to bits. Oh, Mara.

"You found him!" Jacen dashed over, hands held out. "Thanks, Mara!" Bemused, Mara handed the lizard over.

Aw, young, non-megalomaniacal Jacen. /wistful

"Which is a good thing. Han's a good cook. Leia is not. But usually she's better than this about keeping the basics stocked when he's not here. I guess she's been busier than normal lately."

I love the idea of Han doing the cooking. :D

Luke looked genuinely appalled. "Those are about the only two ships faster than an X-wing, Jaina. And speed isn't everything. The X-wing is way more durable than A-wings and TIEs. You're going to want that sturdiness when you're in battle. All the speed in the galaxy won't serve you as well if an enemy pilot gets a lucky shot."

Love this exchange. I can see Luke and Jaina having long, drawn-out discussions over the relative merits of different types of starfighters.

And the last part:

"Well, not until we have our own kids," Luke said. "I was thinking that we could have about half a dozen. Or if you were willing to put just a little more effort into it, if we had ten, we could form a Skywalker-only squadron. Doesn't that sound like fun, Mara?"

Mara couldn't quite suppress the shudder that ran through her, and narrowed her eyes at Luke's resulting grin. "And maybe we could relocate to Nal Hutta, too."

"And open our very own franchise of Blasteroids while we're at it," Luke said, still grinning.

"One more word and I will force feed you this mystery sauce," Mara threatened.

[face_laugh] Perfect banter, I love it. :D

Mara, meanwhile, watched Anakin and Jacen playing some sort of holographic target game together. It was interesting, how each of the Solo children somehow resembled both parents, even Luke in some respects, yet looked so entirely individual. She wondered if she herself looked more like her mother or her father. Were there hints of an aunt or uncle in her, the way Anakin had Luke's cleft chin and blue eyes? How would her own children combine her features and Luke's? How strange, to think of having children at all.

She nudged Luke. "Do you think that just one or two children would be easier to handle than three?"

Luke shrugged and took a sip of his ale. "Probably, but I suspect that it depends on the child. Any child of ours is likely to be a handful, you know."

"Frighteningly true." Mara took a larger sip of her own ale.

Quoting a chunk here, but I adore Mara's though

8. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Bri-chan: Yeah, but knowing you both of those are practically a guarantee the next time around, what with the being evil thing. And I love that booze is a consolation. *goes looking ever so fondly for EuroCider*

Merciful. I'm merciful. [face_not_talking] And after the night they've had, I'm sure that a bit of booze would not be amiss. :p *confiscates EuroCider for old times' sake* [face_love]

The story also touches on the give-and-take they'll both have to get used to. It may very well be a welcome change, but it's a big change regardless. I liked how Mara slowly comes to see over the course of the evening just how big of a change it's going to be, and her knowing that she wants to embrace the change anyway.

Now that is a lovely summary of the story. It really did turn out to be a primer course in joining the family for Mara, didn't it?

I can just see that playing out that way exactly. The exasperation and physical reactions are perfect.

Why, thank ye. [face_batting] Jaina's fun, isn't she? :D

Your muse should take this as a sign that Jaina needs her comeuppance in a certain little idea you've been putting off.

You're right! :eek: I wonder if I can get that to work . . . [face_thinking]

I love that ending. They're just... ready. I don't know how else to say it. This is right, it fits, and they both know it.

In retrospect, you know what it reminds me of? That part in My Big Fat Greek Wedding when Ian's getting baptized at the church and Toula mutters that any minute now he's going to look over and say, "You're so not worth this", and her brother replies, "Yes, you are." Ten wasted years, nothing's been going the way they wanted since they got engaged, and their big night totally imploded, but Luke and Mara can still look at each other and say, "Yeah, you're worth this." Now that's love. [face_love]

I'm glad that over the last five years your senility has left your ability to write a multi-post story more or less intact.

[face_beatup]

Thank you, mouthiest of whippersnappers. You'll always be a stalker of the most supreme magnitude to me. [:D]

ginchy: Aw, thank you! I'm glad you liked it. [:D]

jacensolofangirl2007: Thank you very much! :)

Jedimaster_JainaSolo: I definitely agree that Luke would make a great dad, and I'm very glad you enjoyed the story. Thank you so much for reading. :D

Irish: It was so....specially commonplace, you know?

I like that description. [face_laugh] Glad you liked it. :) And oops about the index! Info sent. :oops:

J_M_Bulldog: And it ended *eyes glint mischeivously* perfectly.

[face_laugh] Glad to hear it. :p

Any chance of a sequel?

Afraid not; although it turned out to be longer than I expected, this was really just a missing moment fic between VotF and Union. But my muse is very partial to L/M, be it canon-compatible or AU, so I'm sure there'll be more L/M stories from me at some point. (If I could just get said muse to cooperate a little more often . . . :oops: ) Thank you for reading! [:D]

JadeLotus: And that is why I love Luke.

He's great, isn't he? [face_love]

Lovely ending - the conversation about children is wonderful, and I especially like the playfulness between Luke and Mara. They very much seem like a new couple, but also have that keen understanding of each other that demonstrates how in tune with each other they really are.

I've always thought that Luke and Mara both understood each other well enough and had similar enough senses of humor that they'd be very playful together. I'm very pleased that that playfulness came across well here. :)

Oh, Jaina...when things were that simple for you...

Yeah. *sigh* Thank you for reading! :D

Jade_eyes: Thank you. I'm flattered. :)

Jieh: There's nothing more satisfying than true love. The fact that Mara put up with a night like this and didn't decide to turn tail and run should make Luke a happy, happy man.

Mara's tough - and stubborn.

9. WildKnght7

WildKnght7 Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2008
    I'm so glad I finally got to catch up!

I will admit the ending was probably the sweetest thing I've read for quite some time.

Very nice job! [:D]

10. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Just bookmarking this so I can read it. :)

11. MaraJade4S

MaraJade4S Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    I'm really glad I found this story! It's very interesting and full of unexpected twists. :D
    I love these "attempts" at a normal life but it's not for them. Luke was right, it would get boring. :D I have to cringe though when I think of all the bad things that have happened to them so far. I don't know why, but I'm a bit scared about what's to follow. Somehow, I don't think they'll get away with it that easily.

12. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    Sorry it took so long for me to get around to replying to this [face_blush]

First of all thanks for the PM's [face_peace] LOL this story was full of fun laughs and great moments! I really enjoyed this, a lovely short story! :D Not overly mushy and perfectly fitting of a new couple's trials and errors ;) I have to say my favorite image from the story is that of Mara limping around with a broken shoe :p Priceless...

Great job! :D

13. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Just read through it all, Gabri. Yay for L/M! That was perfect! :D So many good laughs. [face_laugh]

14. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Finally got started on this. :)

Love the opening scene - and I agree with Mara totally that the Galaxy owes them some peace and quiet.

But today she barely bothered to glance at the intricately tiled mosaic floors or the minimalist Chandrilan paintings scattered tastefully along the walls, her energy instead focused on the irritation that Luke's apartment would have to be the farthest one from the emergency stairwell.
    I guess he likes to live dangerously. ;)

Outside this apartment, the galaxy waited for them both to dive back into the fray, but when they were alone together like this, all concerns seemed to fall effortlessly away. Mara still wasn't quite sure how that worked, but it wasn't something she felt inclined to question.
    Too right - those kind of mysteries are good.

"Before or after we grow too old to appreciate it?"
    [sobs] [shakes fist at LotF books]

"We're still on for tonight, right?"

"Short of Coruscant's sun going supernova."

"Not bad odds, then."

I dunno - stranger things have happened in the life of Luke Skywalker!!!

She particularly liked the comb because with just a few twists, it could be converted to a makeshift blade
    LOL - That's Mara alright. :D On the same note - stiletto heels make great weapons, too. I guess that's what "dressed to kill" means. ;)

Mara brushed nonexistent dust off the shoulder of his jacket and readjusted the lapels, surprised by the intimate sense of possessiveness that washed over her. He was hers, this man that she'd never expected to love, and she was his, and for reasons she couldn't begin to explain, Mara rather liked the idea of showing off this new turn of events.
    You go, girl. :)

Onscreen, Leia was turned more than halfway away from her own comm's camera angle. "Anakin Solo, put those tools down right now! Threepio does not need a diagnostic!"
    LOL Brilliant =D=

So they're off on their date. I sense disruptions and calamity - ooooh goodie. :D

Will catch up with page two soon.

15. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    WildKnght7: Melissa! So glad you're here! [:D] I'm glad you liked the ending, too. Thanks for posting! :D

MaraJade4S: Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. :) And yes, Luke and Mara would become horribly bored being normal. :p You don't need to worry much about what comes next; the story's finished. Next stop, Garqi. According to canon, they're probably okay until they get back from Garqi and have to face the reality of wedding planning, alas. :p

Myraid: Don't worry about it. I appreciate feedback any time. [:D] I rather like the image of Mara with that broken shoe myself. :p I'm pleased you liked the story. :D

Idri: Hi, Idri! :D Kind of odd that despite both being fanficcers, we see the most of each other in Census, isn't it? :p Thank you so much for reading and taking the time to leave feedback! I appreciate it. Glad you liked the story. :D

Tahi: How lovely to get feedback for just a chapter like this after the story's done. :D

I guess he likes to live dangerously.

Well, he did propose to Mara Jade, former assassin. He never did get over that craving excitement thing. :p

Too right - those kind of mysteries are good.

Mara's just discovering that. [face_love]

[sobs] [shakes fist at LotF books]

I know. :_|

On the same note - stiletto heels make great weapons, too. I guess that's what "dressed to kill" means.

My sister and I have thought the same thing more than once. :D I remember once when our mother was disturbed by the thought of the two of us going downtown to a symphony performance alone, we reassured her not only by reminding her that security would be everywhere, but by pointing out our rather high-heeled shoes. "See, Mom," we said, "if anyone attacks us, all we have to do is hook a foot behind his knee and get him with the heels once he's down. We could probably get him in the jugular, no problem."

Naturally, she was not reassured, only more disturbed by the fact that she'd raised daughters who thought that way. :p

So they're off on their date. I sense disruptions and calamity - ooooh goodie.

Whatever makes you think that? :D I mean - whatever makes you think that? [face_whistling] :p

Thanks so much for reading! :D

16. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    LOL I don't know - I'd be pleased if I had daughters who thought ahead and had their tactics well planned. :D

Well, I've read the whole story. Absolute gem! I loved every minute of it: the repartee between Luke and Mara; the series of unfortunate accidents; the horrors of baby-sitting the Solo kids. The Ithorian restaurant sounded a bit like Fawlty Towers actually - :D Really funny. The image of Mara hobbling around on those broken heels was wonderful. This was a true comedy of errors.

And then interspersed with the humour was that special Luke-Mara bond that you capture so well.

The calmness that had settled over him in the restaurant was too akin to the tension of a tightly coiled spring; it made her worry about what would happen if it was suddenly released.
    I thought that little observation was brilliant. The quieter he gets the more you have to worry!

I'm with Mara on the idea of adopting a pet rancor. LOL Their introduction to normal family life may have been a shock to them - but boy was it funny.

It was lovely to read something from the early Luke-Mara era. [face_love] Thanks so much for this - just wonderful.

17. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    LOL I don't know - I'd be pleased if I had daughters who thought ahead and had their tactics well planned.

I will have to tell my mother that. :D

I'm glad you liked the story so much. :D One of the things that I love most about Luke and Mara is how well they play off each other; they're natural candidates for banter. And considering how the Skywalkers seem to be magnets for chaos, I just couldn't see them getting a quiet night together when they most wanted it. :p

I think Mara knows Luke well enough to know just how dangerous carefully controlled quiet is. [face_worried] And I suspect that she's had far more exposure to wild animals than children at this point. :p

Never thought I'd thank the profic for neglecting such huge swaths of Luke and Mara's relationship, but it does give us fanficcers a lot of room to play. :p

Thank you so much for the kind comments! I greatly appreciate them. :D

18. Mystralgurl

Mystralgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2004
    I'm a huge Mara Jade fan... any chance that you will be expounding on this story and letting us know what happens on their vacation??? o_O

19. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Mystralgurl: Nope, sorry. Luke and Mara have earned their private time. :p The vacation referred to is the one mentioned at the beginning of Union, though, so not much time elapses between this and where the EU picks up their story again. :) Thanks for reading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.