main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rocky M, NC Philosophical Debate on Religion **Enter At Your Own Risk**

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Lodreh, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r2fu2

r2fu2 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2004
    really so was i :eek:

2. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Disturbed minds think alike. :p

3. Lodreh

Lodreh Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    Self Analysis

I was informed recently that I'm a very emotionally detached kind of guy... my first reaction was to just blow it of but I then started to think about it a bit more...

I know I do not hold the same values as most people... this can be viewed as being cold. I also know that law is not the same as morality. This could be construed as being cynical. So I'm left with being a cold, cynical kind of guy... is that the same as emotionally detached?

Before I would not think so... mainly because I do have passions. I feel things very deeply and the strongest emotion I cling to is my sense of honor. I try to listen when people want to talk and try not to force my views on a subject. And I believe that is where this conversation arose...

By trying to remain objective throughout a passionate debate I must give off the aura of being unconcerned about the outcome. Therefore not passionate and cold... defending my cynical viewpoints. "How interesting."

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force.
    If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

4. HawthorSolarian

HawthorSolarian Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    hey Lodreh don't let it get to you I am told that I am very emotionaly detatched as well just because i don't react the same to certain conversations dose not mean I don't care It could mean the same as you or that I would like more information before I put me two cents in. By saying that last part I mean I don't want to say something in a way that would upset someone when I can say it so they still understand me but do not get offended. If that makes me emotionaly detatched then I guess I am ,but I would rather be that than to lose a friend over a simple discustion.

5. ForceTheologian

ForceTheologian Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    To a degree, everyone is emotionally detached. Sometimes, someone may seem detached by his/her actions. But, it is all about what is within. Maybe it is better for someone to be detached from certain people. For example, those certain people may be the type of people who try to make others believe that they are greater, better than they really are, if not better than anyone else. What they do not realize is that they...

1) fail miserably. Well, some can fool some people but not all.
    2) kill their own true character, and ultimately lose their friends when the lies & BS pile up too high to take

Sorry, I've met too many people like that. One even told me that he would not be liked if he was to be his true self in front of others.

Well, anyway, more of my words to think about.

FT

6. Entropy

Entropy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Well, I don't know if you would consider it emotional detachment or not, but the older I get, the less patients I have for the drama. Life sucks. Accept it and get over it or take the cowards way out and end it yourself.

7. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    Entropy has such an elequant(sp?) way with words. ;)

8. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    Well, I kinda agree with Entropy, but not completely. I dont think Life sucks at all. It has its sucky MOMENTS, true enough, but its a pretty good lil' package, if you ask me. :)

9. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    Our Riff, ever the optimist. :)

Good to see you back bud.

10. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I have to agree with Riff. Life has its less-than-spectacular moments, but it has its wonderful moments, as well. And those wonderful moments make it all worthwhile. :)

Does that make me one of those annoying optimists? I'll leave that up to you to decide. ;)

11. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    [face_peace]

Righty, mate! And call me sentimental and all, but when I see my kids every day, that right there is all I need to say, "Life is good." ;)

12. Entropy

May 30, 2002
    And when I look at kids I can't help but think of how crappy the world will be by the time they are my age, and how much pain they will have to endure to get there.

13. Lodreh

Lodreh Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    I look at kids and think back to "Gnome Punting"... ah those were the days...

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force.
    If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

14. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    Always in motion, the future is.... You cant bank on something that may not happen. Not to mention the terrible baggage you could tote with you, if you are certain the world will be much crappier. :(

15. Kaiser_Fisto

Kaiser_Fisto Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2004
    *Yawns and awakens from his slumber**

My future rocks. I'll get to go down to Gastonia in a few weeks and hopefully see my cousin's little sister, well, she's not so little now...I had a chance to talk to her on the phone, and she's a t-a-d excited about me comin' down there. She told me she had a huge crush on me and that me and her needed to go out on a date when I got down there, and I was like, "Okie Dokie", because I was informed she has filled out quite nicely...ahem, I mean, she has become a beautiful young woman. [face_alien_1] So, this pertains to all the future talk. Mine is SO gonna rock! Navy, and ...play time. Good times, ya'll, good times.

16. eddie-wan-kenobi

Jul 14, 2003
    Um, but wouldnt your cousin's little sister also be your cousin? Please tell me there's more to this. [-o|

17. Kaiser_Fisto

Jun 10, 2004
    She's like, a fourth cousin.

18. Kaiser_Fisto

Jun 10, 2004
    And besides, I have known Jennifer since she was a little girl. And it's all just fun, bro. Fun, fun, fun! She knows I'm going into the Navy and she knows I'm kinda talking to someone else too, but...heh, heh, you know how it goes.

19. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    But she's still your cousin, right? :)

20. ForceTheologian

Jun 9, 2004
    Is she removed once or twice? I've got a second cousin who is, I think, once removed, maybe twice. Every time I hear that bit of Yoda's Pie-yow, I think about her. Both of us share a cousin, but we are on opposite sides of him. Hell, she's even the cousin of X-Pac.

21. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    I wouldnt tell folks that. ;)

22. Entropy

May 30, 2002
    So, what does this have to do with religion? Are you all becoming Booty-ists?

23. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
  24. ForceTheologian

Jun 9, 2004
    Booty-ist? Maybe if I was still going around by the name of "Ladiesman" Johnny K. But, not now. "The One Ring". But I have been thinking of being ordained by the Spiritual Humanist Church.

FT

25. Kazuma_Kuahara

Kazuma_Kuahara Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2004
    Life, there is much to be said about the ups and downs of it. It could be, in rather loose circles (or this one hehe), compared to whoring. For, does life not have its ups and downs too? Some deeper and longer than others, and perhaps many nights and things we do wish to forget. Also, at times, it seems that all we do is sell 40+ hrs a week of our life away for nothing much more than, debit, lonliness, and if we are lucking a new car. Is that what we should dwell upon though? For could it not be said that the longer that we concentrate upon the darkness of days, we will forget the gracious light and brilliant energy that is our life? Perhaps what some need to do, my self included, look at some of these "tribal" countries. What do we see, poverty stricken societies, without electricity, no computers, no Xbox's and the like. We also see on some, animal hides as clothing, dirt beds, and unstable foundations for their homes. What we normally miss is, they really have all they need, they have close knit families, love, simple pleasures, and perhaps even a kind of freedom that we will never atain in this country. The ability to be truely free, no laws, no president, and no one to blame when things go wrong except them selves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.