main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rocky M, NC Philosophical Debate on Religion **Enter At Your Own Risk**

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Lodreh, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediRiff

JediRiff Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2002
    You wont catch ME saying that. You have my word, my friend. :)

2. Shindo_Windu

Shindo_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2004
  3. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    No problem. :D

4. Shindo_Windu

Mar 21, 2004
    Hey, we haven't talked so much on Religion so much as of late. Ran out of steam, have we?

5. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    Maybe what needed to be said by some folks, has been said. /shrug :)

6. Shindo_Windu

Mar 21, 2004
    Hmph, maybe, but I sense that more fire will be started soon.

7. ForceTheologian

ForceTheologian Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2004
    This subject is of my interest, so I'll put in my two bits.

When it comes to the question of the all-knowing, all-powerful, & all-forgiving characteristics of God, to ask if God can be all three, really dives right in on the nature of God. It is in my personal belief, that God is all-knowing, all-powerful, & all-forgiving. God is all-knowing because of God's vast & continuious presence. As Entropy said before, in example, that he could give his nephew the choice of a piece of candy or a spanking. Entropy knows which will be chosen because he knows his nephew enough to have at least a good idea. But, it is because God is always there, is the reason how God is all-knowing, God knows us all since the day we were born, so therefore he would at least have a good idea on how we would choose our paths. Sorry, Entropy, I think that example you gave for the destiny vs. free will did not make the point, but it sure helped the question on the all-knowing God. Free will is what keeps it interesting. God knows that with the order of law, there will come the anarchy of chaos. Sometimes, we just simply need change.

Speaking on free will, I must not forget the whole destiny vs. free will arguement. My take is this... Destiny is what is going to happen no matter what we do, say, or even choose. It is destiny that the sun rises everyday. It is destiny that brings upon the seasons, and so forth. Our free will is our reaction to destiny, you see. No matter what you choose, your destiny will unfold before you.

The all-powerfulness of God is alittle simple, if you really think about it. God will never go right ahead and interfere with your life directly. That will go against the free will he has given you. But, where do you think the energy it takes for the moons to orbit the planets that orbit the suns comes from? God's power is seen through all the energy that surrounds us and goes through us within this universe that we live in.

The all-forgiving property of God is there because there needs to be balance of all things. May it be.. good/evil, light/darkness, order/chaos, intellect/stupidity, etc., etc. God can & will forgive you for being you. Just by being the way you were created. That is your reason for being. For when you meet your destiny, God's will has been accomplished. God's plan will bring forth the forgiveness for the things you have felt that you did wrong. God knows you, and God knows that you will choose things alittle different now and then. So, therefore you are forgiven.

On another note, wasting 2 hours of anybody's extremely short life on this Earth will result in bad karma. i.e., oh, I don't know, not getting free food maybe?

I hope this post will spark some deep thoughts.

Yours truly,
    FT

8. Lodreh

Lodreh Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    So if I choose the live my life to the fullest then God's will having been done forgives me of any transgressions therefore I never need to fear eternal damnation as long as I'm always true to myself... that about the gist of it Padre? I can dig that ;)

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

9. Kaiser_Fisto

Kaiser_Fisto Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2004
    Religion on this board as well? Interesting.

10. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    No topic is safe here.

11. Shindo_Windu

Mar 21, 2004
  12. joe-da

joe-da Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    ne jabba no badda....

13. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    Kaiser is all over the place, eh? :) I am getting curious.... most curious!

14. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    A thought to ponder on...

I think therefore I am... If I speak without thinking does that mean it did not happen because it does not exist?

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force. If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

15. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    Thinking a bit more on this... that means you think about everything before you say it... so the phrase should be "think long and hard before you speak"... not just "think before you speak".

Lod-Reh SaJon ~

16. ForceTheologian

Jun 9, 2004
    That would be about it, Lodreh. Through my eyes, since they are eyes not possessed by other men, to be happy that you live and enjoy the day is one way to praise God. See the beauty around you, feel the cool breeze, sense the love of those who are close to you, and you will feel the presence of God. Because God surrounds us all, all living things are a small part of God. God even flows through us, lets us know of God's presence, and, if we know how to listen to it, hear the will of God. When I had posted earlier on this subject, I had only read the first page of posts. I didn't know that Shindo had already predicted the "fire" restarting on this subject. Interesting. I shall Be watching Shindo with a more attentive eye.

17. Kaiser_Fisto

Kaiser_Fisto Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2004
    Shindo is dead. I have emerged.
    So pay good attention to me, heh, heh, heh.

18. ForceTheologian

Jun 9, 2004
    Observed, and recorded, my son.

19. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    I have a friend, who is a pastor now at a church at the beach... anyways, sometimes his sermons will have some Star Wars stuff thrown in there, because he thinks there are alot of good comparisons to the force, God, and religion. Its kind of funny when he mentions something that yoda said, at a sermon, and some people get a quizzical look on their faces. But most folks smile, and get the point he is making. I find it highly interesting, myself, to hear him talk about it.

20. Entropy

Entropy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    So if I choose the live my life to the fullest then God's will having been done forgives me of any transgressions....

No. And we both know you know better than that.

21. eddie-wan-kenobi

eddie-wan-kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2003
    There are ALOT of Biblical-type comparisons to Star Wars Riff. I'll bet he would be interesting to listen to. :)

22. Lodreh

Jul 2, 2002
    No. And we both know you better than that.

Oh, why not? Would you be disappointed in seeing Billy Graham, Anton LaVey, and the French in heaven when you get there? Or is it just me? ;)

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force.
    If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."

23. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    I think alot of us would be... ;)

24. joe-da

joe-da Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    wouldn't that be a kick in the foo-foo.... Lodreh dies and becomes French... with full knowledge of his former self...

25. JediRiff

Jun 2, 2002
    THAT should prompt an interesting response. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.