main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph Physical Media Collecting in 2021 and Beyond

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dagobahsystem, Mar 18, 2021.

?

Do you have any physical media collections?

1. Yes

97.9%
  2. No

2.1%
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Main UHD, BR and DVD player = PS5

Back-ups for BR and DVD = PS3 and PS4.

solojones and Dagobahsystem like this.
  2. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Thank you for reminding me to get a backup blu ray player or two. That's neat you've got an all region player to screen some of your wuxia collection.
    I've thought of investing in that hardware meself.

Hopefully Arrow Video takes over SB publishing so you can complete your collection.
    I'm still praying for a reasonably priced Deadly Breaking Sword blu ray. Haven't looked it up in awhile, but last I checked it was really overpriced for a potential bootleg copy online.

I do so appreciate your support of purchasing band merch. Not only is the gear cool to wear, it hopefully provides desperately needed income for them as we all know how much the artists actually earn from "selling" their music nowadays.

It's always fascinated me how the general public finds it perfectly acceptable to treat music recordings as a nearly free commodity and yet they are fine with an NFL quarterback making 10 million dollars a year or whatever it is lol.

Like, a quarter pounder with cheese meal at McDs costs like $12 now, but it's ok to not pay musicians for creating their art/work.

The point being that many folks are willing to pay that kind of money to poison themselves with food, but balk at spending a dollar on supporting music that brings enrichment and joy to their lives continuously.
    Truly baffling.

But it's always been that way for musicians. Even Lennon/McCartney were screwed by the publishing companies and yet they were still able to become millionaires.

IMAGINE how much money the businessmen made off them, living life in peace...

It does suck for the non Lennon/McCartneys of the music songwriting world though.

So, thanks for buying merch Lok!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Master_Lok likes this.
  3. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    Well my dad had over 100 star wars books I'm sure. He stopped buying them when
    Mara Jade was killed
    though he continued reading.
    He also had I think the entire Basal Rathbone collection of sherlock holmes radio programs.

Me nothing as of yet. I have all 4 pop figures of the RWBY characters, that's it.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I have successfully resisted the urge to needlessly consume dust collectors in recent years. I only have a handful of digital discs and I make sure to get rid of books I don't want.

5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I've got way too many books and I bought fourteen more this week. I am insane.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    All of my console games are physical copies, and I'll probably stick with that for the time being. I went crazy on DVD/BluRay buying 2014-2017, so my collection is vast. It's stuff I haven't seen, so the plan is to sell whatever I've seen. I keep physical copies of the shows I love.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have multiple crates of records (LPs and singles).
    Over 400 books.
    Boxes of comics.
    Shelves of Blu Rays.
    Old film reels.

The burn time on my house is about 12.5 seconds.

8. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    That's cool you still collect CDs.
    And I too appreciate the artwork, packaging and often having the lyrics and personnel printed on the inner sleeve.

That's also one of the extra special bonus features of collecting vinyl, in addition to the superior audio quality.

Artists like Prince (formerly known and then not and then again lol) in particular often included beautiful packaging, artwork, and sleeves in their vinyl releases.
    Purple Rain, Around the World In a Day, and Sign O the Times to name just three examples.

It's funny, but using an iPod seems more "boomer" than CDs in the sense that Spotify has nearly everything so why bother with an iPod; although I do realize you can/could have uploaded music to an iPod including original compositions you made yourself that may or may not be available online.

Still, an iPod is limited in space.
    If I want to hear Johnny Smith or Joe Pass play some specific jazz tune(s) on guitar, it's much easier to head to Spotify than try and upload it to an iPod or purchase all of their records on vinyl or CD.
    It's fascinating all the options available and it depends on what we are hoping to be able to listen to and at what time and what level of sound quality.

@tom
    Thanks for sharing; which NES and SNES games have you been playing?

BookExogorth and Master_Lok like this.
  9. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I still have some old CD's and stuff, but these days I don't go for physical media if I can avoid it. I'm just way too lazy to pop the CD into the player, and also....I don't want to get attached to these physical objects only for them to wear down and eventually break. Also why I get my books from the library.

Master_Lok and Dagobahsystem like this.
  10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i've been working my way through a link to the past. my son and i have been playing a little super off road and super nba basketball, and a little super mario bros. 3 co-op. i also recently beat mike tyson's punch out. but i've been playing more 3do than anything. i kind of want to work through all the 3do games (at least the ones i have) so i can put the console away and get a dreamcast or something

also i completely forgot about my hundreds of vinyl lp's.

11. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I still have nearly every book I’ve owned in the last twenty years, from Hop on Pop to Darth Revan.
    I almost never get rid of sentimental keepsakes.

I still like to buy DVDs of movies I want, and it doesn’t feel the same to just stream them if it’s a movie I really want to own, for example Doctor Sleep.
    If I originally owned a movie on VHS, I usually prefer to keep watching the VHS version of it. Any newer release of, for example, Willy Wonka doesn’t feel the same.
    I can’t remember a time before CDs, so even though I do listen to music on Spotify/Apple/YouTube with easy access, it doesn’t feel the same.

If it’s an artist I am a passionate fan of , I still plan to purchase each physical CD so that I can have them as part of my collection. With music I like casually, I’m okay with getting it electronically.

12. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Time to invest in a few fire extinguishers!

Seriously though, what are some of your favorite records you have in your collection? Any hidden gems?

And old film reels! Please, do tell.
    That's a first for this thread.

The fact that you beat Mike Tyson's Punch Out is most impressive.
    I've yet to take down Mike himself. What's the secret?

Link to the Past is super fun. I'm currently working my way through The Legend of Zelda. I'm at max power ups and hidden rupies and have 4 triforce pieces so on to Level 5 for me.
    But Super Mario 2 is kicking my butt for some reason although that might be due to the fact I'm using crazy jumping Luigi and fast non jumping Toad a lot instead of the old reliable floating Princess. Only made it to 2-3 so far although I once beat that game.

That's so cool you are playing those old school games with your son. NBA Basketball is fun.

My favorite baseball game for the NES is Baseball Stars.

tom and Emperor Ferus like this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have some old 78s of Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong and such that I adore. A lot of first pressings of punk bands like the Misfits, The Clash and such. And some really rare reggae records. The UK-only version of Hard Road to Travel by Jimmy Cliff is a killer.

As far as old film reels, I have a bunch of classic horror films. Dracula, The Wolfman, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. That sorta thing.

14. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Great to hear your collecting habits Ferus and I totally relate to keeping items of sentimental value.
    Keepsakes as you said.

I have a couple classic novels me late father gave me that I keep in a drawer for that very reason. Including some of his personal notes.

Doctor Sleep was the last film I saw in the cinema before lockdown and I've always enjoyed hearing you talk about how much you like that picture, as I do too; hopefully gonna add it to my collection soon although I've put a hold on film purchases for now as I went a little overboard this past winter.

And the fact you still watch VHS tapes is really cool as it is definitely fun to relive those memories of watching films on that format. Although I've still got some tapes meself, the only one that gets regular play here is the OOT Return of the Jedi I found at a thrift store for two dollars. It's so fun to watch that version.

Although I did watch Days of Thunder with Binks on VHS in the CCC a few months ago too lol.

I admire the fact you still collect physical media CD releases for your favorite artists. That's really neat mate. I try/wish to do the same although my collecting focus has turned more to Criterion films and 1960-1990s vinyl releases as of late.

15. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I used to have the OOT on VHS. I do have it on DVD still, but I'd really like to own and play the 90s release again. I also miss the behind the scenes previews that were on the tapes from the pre-prequel point of view.

16. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Billie Holiday 78s! That's amazing. She's brilliant. I love her.
    Do you have a Victrola to play those on?

And those classic punk bands. Gangbusters! The Clash! "Phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust!" I love that whole record. I have the CD only.

And those classic horror film reels! Whoa dude.

Impressive. Most impressive.

I can't even imagine how neat that must be to have in a collection.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  17. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I have around 800 DVDs and Blu-rays (though mostly DVDs). I also still hold on to three versions of ANH on VHS (one unsubtitled widescreen OOT, one subtitled fullscreen OOT, and one widescreen SE), as well as two versions of TESB and ROTJ (fullscreen OOT and widescreen SE), as well as a VHS copy of The Battle for Endor. I've also got the Ewok movies on DVD, as well as the DVD releases of the 2003 Clone Wars microseries, and animated Droids and Ewoks. My Droids DVD is signed by Anthony Daniels, which I think is pretty cool.

My SO and I both collect books as well. No idea how many we have, but it's probably a couple of thousand.
    And we have a few dozen albums on vinyl, as well as some more obscure ones (local bands and the like) on CD. As for games, we have a bunch of old NES and SNES games, but hardly enough to call it a "collection".

Dagobahsystem and Moll like this.
  18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm probably in a similar neighborhood to you book-wise, TCF. I also have CDs. DVDs, and some old vinyl. Also have some cassettes (and something to play them on!). Never got into 8-tracks as a format though.

Dagobahsystem and TCF-1138 like this.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, I have a Victrola.
    Yes, my collection is dope.

20. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I haven’t bought many CDs in the last decade, but I have a collection of about 400. I still have every Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins album that I bought as a teenager. I don’t have anything massively rare, but I have a few of Britpop albums that aren’t in circulation anymore.

Streaming has also put an end to my DVD/Blu-Ray purchases, but I still have several hundred of these. Nowadays, I only buy physical copies of my favourite movies.

One physical media that will never be replaced is books. I just can’t enjoy a book on a Kindle. I like to see how far I’ve read and I like the feel of the book in my hand. I like the cover artwork, the colour of the paper and the different print styles. I also buy a lot of comics (I stick to trade paperbacks and graphic novels these days). In the near future, I’m looking to invest in a substantial bookcase as I have several hundred books and comics to store and display.

21. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I have quite the library of blu-ray and 4K movies on the shelf along with a good number of books. I like classic sci-fi and some new fantasy.

Physical media for my favorite films is the ONLY way to go. Hate to break it to the "streamers" but you dont own any of that content, you're just renting it! ;). I suggest physical copies of your favorite stuff for best results. Dont misread me - we love streaming and use it too for all kinds of things. But, for things like Star Wars, LOTR, Alien, Terminator, Godfather, 2001, Back to the Future, etc, etc.... ya gotta have the discs!

22. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    Cool thread Dag! It's fun to read everyone's anecdotes and reminiscings. With most things that can be digital or physical, if digital is more convenient I will go for that. However, with books I cannot get over holding a book and turning the pages. It's just not the same when on a screen, for me. As for the how, I like going to any bookstore, but tend to check amazon or ebay if I'm looking for anything specific. (One time I got a 3 in 1 SW essential guide for five dollars on ebay - it's definitely hit or miss but can be fantastic.)

23. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Yes - books have a feel to them, obviously. I like my Kindle & iPad but again, for a lot of my favorite books I must have at least the paperback. :)

Dagobahsystem and BookExogorth like this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What have I got?

Too many Big Finish CDs. Many deluxe comics hardbacks. Lots of hardbacks. A whole lot of normal comic trades. Smaller set of paperbacks. Lot of DVDs, more TV than movie material. A lot of Hong Kong martial arts films and smaller sets of Japanese, Thai and Indonesian output on DVD, some on BR. Good amount of games across various consoles - PS3, PS4, Wii, GameCube.

25. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Congrats on finding a good deal on your SW book on ebay! I've actually never used that website to purchase anything although I did try sell a musical instrument on there once but it didn't work out.

And I definitely agree with what you and everyone else mentioned regarding reading and holding an actual book. I've tried reading books online but the experience is not for me. I've got about 5 bookshelves worth of books and I wouldn't have it any other way, although it does take up a lot of space and I prune my collection annually and donate some pieces.

It's really great to read everyones responses here and I'm grateful that you all took the time to respond and share. It is so nice of everyone.
    Thank you my friends.

Speaking of ebay, I want to add about 10 more NES games to my collection which is currently at 10; so I was thinking ebay might be the best option after I hit some local game shops (NOT gamestop ew) first, as I would rather give them the money for the games I need.