main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Amph Physical Media Collecting in 2021 and Beyond

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dagobahsystem, Mar 18, 2021.

?

Do you have any physical media collections?

1. Yes

97.9%
  2. No

2.1%
  1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think the main thing is dodging all of his punches for the first 90 seconds of the first round, when one punch knocks you down. if you can survive that part with no knockdowns it's a fairly even fight from there. dodging those punches just takes a lot of practice. you can't really get away with guessing when he's going to punch, because he varies how long he pauses between each blow, you just have to wait until he flashes and then be quick.

BookExogorth and Dagobahsystem like this.
  2. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    @tom

Thank you so much!
    I'm hoping to pick up that game on Sunday as I plan to visit two local shops.

I've always been able to get through all the boxers, but have never had any luck against Mike.

I'm looking forward to a rematch against him!

tom likes this.
  3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    here's the video of me beating it. might be helpful. :p

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    heels1785 and Dagobahsystem like this.
  4. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    "And our health is an inverse of each other." [face_laugh]

Whoa, that was epic. You're really good at that game! Well done.

It's gonna take me months lol.
    If I even get the game on Sunday.
    Otherwise I'll have to resort to ebay.

Thanks mate. That was awesome to watch. Cheers.

Master_Lok, BookExogorth and tom like this.
  5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i paid 40 bucks for the cart on ebay, which is kind of a lot considering how many were made, but retro gaming is all the rage these days.

Master_Lok and Dagobahsystem like this.
  6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Music: All digital for the past few years, via iTunes. I finally sold the last of my CDs and never looked back (but not some CDs that my wife also likes, although she never actually listens to them anymore anyway).
    Movies: Still have most of the DVDs and Blu-rays we've bought, but we do watch a lot of movies via streaming now. For something that's really a favorite, though, I'd still buy the Blu-ray to keep.
    Books: All physical.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  7. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Wth dude?

8. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Music: I have never had a physical music collection.
    DVD / Blu-ray: I gave 99% of my Blu-rays to my sister's family. I kept my Criterion discs, and any Blu-ray of a movie I loved that didn't have that awful plastic blue casing. Before I got rid of them, I ripped them all to a Plex Cloud Server, which I stream. I do not enjoy / miss the physical process of putting in a movie at all (well, maybe VHS), and streaming services (mainly Apple) have gotten increasingly better at replicating bonus features prominent on physical media, which leaves the Dragnet dystopia and the question of quality as the only reason why I would ever bother to have a physical collection, aside from the fact that buying them on impulse is fun.
    Books: After using a Kobo Clara for the last three years, I can't pick up a physical book. I don't have to feel bad about supporting Amazon, and I can read in the bath without fear, and reading War and Peace or Proust isn't literally a physical burden. HOWEVER... I love a good bookshelf, and there are many books that can't be replicated digitally. I have lots of books and not enough bookcases.

I know minimalism is on its way out, but I like the idea of not being weighed down by physical collections. Books are my main weakness, even if I just read the e-version anyway.

9. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Indeed it is.
    So I picked up the cart for $35 plus tax at my local shop aka a 40 minute drive and I opened it up and cleaned it. On my first try I beat 4 boxers but stalled at Hippo. I know you have to hit him in the stomach but I'll have to rediscover the trick on that cause he slaughtered me twice in a row.

What is everyone collecting lately?
    Anything new you've added to your physical media collection?

I've got a few updates, but was hoping to hear more about what y'all are doing per your collections.
    Peace.

tom likes this.
  10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Thought I would give this thread a nudge after reading about why the new UK film distribution co. Fractured Visions are releasing physical media now.

I just received Fractured Visions’ first release yesterday (Silent Action). It’s a gorgeous package (and not just because ‘70s Eurohunk Luc Merenda is the star. :p)

Anyway, the interview is at the link below:

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/features/the-challenge-of-launching-a-new-blu-ray-label/

One thing I would love is if Disney+ makes their originals available to buy and download too. I will still subscribe (the only streaming service I bother with), but I’d love to own some of the Marvel and Star Wars originals.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Dagobahsystem and Moll like this.
  11. Moll

Moll Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2016
    I too am hoping for this, would love to add The Mandalorian to my Star Wars collection in DVD form. Hopefully, they will eventually, probably when they need to make a quick bob, and so sell the physical versions, especially when subscriptions slow down...fingers crossed!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  12. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Let me think:

Books: I was mostly physical up til about 2017 or so, when I first tried out a Kindle. Since then it's been e-book all the way, I much prefer the convenience of being able to read without all the annoyances of holding a paperback, or losing your page. Still have most of my older favourites in physical, due to not having that great an incentive to upgrading, but someday I'd like to have the ratio be in the e-book's favour.

Music: Digital, all the way. Not streaming though. I have an non-propietary MP3 player with an SD card slot, so I can carry my entire library around me with. Also I guess audio CDs and dramas fall under the same category, though those take up too much space so go on a device on rotation when I get new ones or fancy to relisten to a particular old fave. Only get CDs if they're cheaper than download, but once they're ripped the disc goes away and doesn't come back out again :p

Film/TV: If it's a film I intend to rewatch more than once, then I prefer to have a physical copy. DVD, Bluray, whatever. If it's a casual one time, then streaming's fine. With, say, Disney+ original content, I do hope that some of it eventually gets a physical release, though I imagine that'll have to wait a few years or when said shows end. What I'd really like would be a TCW Season 7 dvd/bluray release, cause then at least I'd have the whole series in a consistent format. Don't go in for purchasing films digitally to download really, they take up too much harddrive space. On a related note...

Games: These days I tend to preferring digital actually. My PS4 has a decent external drive, and runs downloaded games the same as from disc. It's really a convenience thing, saves me all the constant switching of discs ;) Course it gets tricky when games have big online components. I suppose it'll be hard, to near-impossible for some games to be preserved forever in a playable form.

13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Just arrived:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  14. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I still have the VHS of Willy Wonka from my dad to make up for the one he kept and left in his apartment library, but I’d still really like to trade it for a copy of the version I originally owned (was an even older tape). I’m just that much of a purist, I guess.

Edit: I did some research and the version I got from the Goodwill store when I was about 10 was from 1986.

I also wish I could play more of my VHS tapes, and I hope to be able to maintain them in the same format in the future.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Juliet316 and Dagobahsystem like this.
  15. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Glad this thread gets refreshed here and there. Streaming is convenient and works great for SOME content. Anything thats near and dear or you'll watch repeatedly deserves to be on disc, IMO. If you dont hold it you dont own it. I just cant see it any other way as Ive said before. ;)

Dagobahsystem and Moll like this.
  16. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I mean, if you want to get technical Mike, you don't own the film on the disc either. Both are simply licensed to you. The only real difference is that it's practically impossible to withdraw the licence in the case of the physical media.

17. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    @Master_Lok @Moll
    Being able to obtain The Mandalorian on DVD/blu ray would be cool. Hopefully they will release that after the series is finished or something, although I suspect it will be awhile either way.

I meself have put a hold on buying physical copies of films and shows as I went overboard collecting Doctor Who DVDs/blu rays (30 sets) and Criterion Collection blu rays (42 films) over the last year. I love having them, but I won't buy anymore until I've thoroughly gone through everything I picked up. Not to mention that massive CC Showa Godzilla collection I still need to watch all of at some point. The special features on those Doctor Who blu ray sets are incredibly extensive as are the Criterion bts.

@Emperor Ferus
    That's cool about your VHS collection. Hope you can find that edition of Willy Wonka you need. It's amazing the VHS tapes that can be found at thrift stores and HPB for 1 or 2 dollars.

I have been doing a bit of retro game collecting still and finally started buying from ebay and Price Charting. I've added about 10 NES games since I last posted including Mega Man 2, The Karate Kid, Jaws, The Little Mermaid, Castlevania II Simon's Quest, The Guardian Legend, Super Mario Bros., and Baseball Simulator 1.000.

And I picked up Scooby Doo Mystery for the SNES. I've got 8 games for that console.

18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I know about slowing down on physical copies: Did I really need to blu ray double dip on Sammo Hung’s The Millionaire’s Express (a.k.a Shanghai Express)? Not really no, but I did out of curiosity (Four different prints, so hoping for more with favorite martial artists). Unless someone releases some of my most coveted Shaw Brothers films on blu ray, I will continue to slow my blu ray movie purchases.

I’d like to own The Mandalorian and the upcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi, Andor and Moon Knight series on blu and digital. I keep telling Marvel Studios I’d buy the D+ shows on social media. Perhaps when Marvel’s Phase Four is complete, they will release a boxed set of the Marvel content including the D+ series? I’ll start bugging the Star Wars social media about this too.

While books, comics and magazines are mostly digital here, there will be exceptions.

19. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    @Master_Lok
    If double dipping on Shanghai Express makes you happy that's a good thing methinks. I have multiple editions of several of Stanley Kubrick's films whether DVD/blu ray/Criterion, but I recently gave two of my buddies a bunch of DVDs that I had upgraded to blu ray from other Directors.

Back up copies can be good to, cause my Rogue One blu ray now has some "freezing" issues after I loaned it to someone. Oddly it freezes up in different parts upon different viewings and I've tried cleaning it, so I'll have to replace that someday. I'm kinda waiting for a release with commentary and more special features.

Yeah, keep on writing to D+ and get us that Mandalorian release!

Master_Lok likes this.
  20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I’ve done more than double dip in some cases. My thing is, lately, I buy but do not really watch most of the movies I buy on physical media because most of my viewing is on computers and mobile devices now. That said, there are a few titles lingering that I would watch and buy stat. Unfortunately, with the foreign movies I like the releases get bounced around from distributor to distributor (Thinks in horror about all those Dario Argento releases), and/or frequent upgrades.

And you’re right about freezing issues (You do have a blu ray laser cleaning disc too right?)

And yes, I’ll keep on Disney’s case, but others should too.;):boba:;)

21. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Anyone up for some 1990s PC video games still in their boxes? With manuals? Remember those?

22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I blind bought the "The Man With No Name Trilogy (Remastered Edition) [Blu-ray]" from Amazon as I've never seen any of them. They were fantastic.
    BTW, if you love the music, check out David W. Collin's breakdown on the The Soundtrack Show podcast.

Master_Lok and Dagobahsystem like this.
  23. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    @Master_Lok
    I know what you mean. I'm the sort of collector that feels guilty if I don't read, watch, listen to, or play the items I purchase. So, I've been alloting 20-30 minutes per day to play my NES games that I've acquired. That's about all the time I have for gaming though as I am not good at all and can't sit around playing video games for hours. I'm so bad at gaming that I don't even know if I qualify as a gamer. These carts are fun to collect though and I've purchased these incredible cases for them all from Custom Game Cases that includes the original art work. I keep plugging away. I have made it through the first 7 boxers on Mike Tyson's Punch Out by now. @tom

But yeah, I really need to focus on watching all of these Criterion blu rays I've collected, several of which are still sealed. I keep getting distracted by HBO Max films and other streaming sites etc...
    That's why I've stopped buying films for now.

I do need to get a new laser cleaning disc. Rogue One is the only blu ray that is freezing up on me that I've noticed so far.

I'll message Disney about Mando lol.

Master_Lok likes this.
  24. SteelLepp

SteelLepp Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 1, 1998
    I've picked up a few "new" Records since I last checked in :)
    I picked up the 2nd Def Leppard box set (the 90's albums & such), a couple of Elvis 45's (Don't Cry Daddy/Rubberneckin' & Suspicious Minds/You'll Think of Me) and the Christmas album (mono) pressed in 1970, Boston-Boston (1976 pressing), Deep Purple-Purple Passages (1972 pressing), Queen-A Night at the Opera (2018 re-pressing) and finally Beatles-Abbey Road (1969 pressing with "Her Majesty" listed) and Let It Be (1970 pressing), the covers on those aren't very good, but the vinyl is still in great shape.

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    A video on them from one of my favourite channels:

tom and Dagobahsystem like this.