main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Piano in Star Wars score

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by 11-4D, Jan 27, 2017.

1. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    What would you think if John Williams would work in some piano stuff into his Star Wars scores for VIII or IX? Michael Giacchino had piano in at least one scene in the movie, and I thought it blended with the classic SW score perfectly.

Dagobahsystem and Guidman like this.
  2. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    The second time I saw the movie, the music in the hologram scene really stuck out to me. It's actually a very pretty, nuanced composition but it sounded so out of place. At least for me it did. Mainly for it being the first time I could remember hearing a piano in any SW film. If you listen to 'Star-Dust' on its own, especially the piano part you wouldn't guess that its from a Star Wars film at all.

I'm not against hearing a piano at all. My two all time favorite pieces of music from a movie are the Road to Perdition theme by Thomas Newman and the song 'God Moving Over the Face of the Waters' by Moby at the end of Heat. Both of those use a piano extensively.

All of the Williams scores that come to mind for me, I don't really remember him using a piano that much. I guess the biggest one would a rendition of the Jurassic Park theme. I just couldn't see him using it that much in a SW film.

3. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    The piano bits in Rogue One didn't really work IMO. Too ubiquitous and modern (in addition to being a tired overused trope for the composer). Piano has been used in the previous scores, but with a bit more subtlety.

There's a short piano bit in "The Scavenger" as Rey begins packing her speeder.
    1:03

Also used for percussive effect to represent the walkers in "The Battle of Hoth".
    Williams uses piano a ton in his drama scores.
    Theme from Angela's Ashes
    Lincoln - "With Malice Towards None (Piano Solo)"
    Theme from Schindler's List Reprise

Dagobahsystem and 11-4D like this.
  4. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    A bit more piano from JW in SW would be great. Piano is used sparingly in several symphonies, as a percussion instrument. Let us not forget the piano concerto and its grand history. Why not use it more in SW?

Also, in addition to the pieces already mentioned by Howard Hand , one of JW's most beautiful pieces from E.T. features the piano. Truly breathtaking. If done well, piano could add a lot to Ep. 8 and 9.

11-4D and Howard Hand like this.
  5. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    Since the opening trailer for TFA and even the bits from the Rogue One trailer, I've been looking/hoping for a lot of solo piano renditions of the SW soundtracks that already exist. So far I haven't found any in album form. :/

6. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012

I have to agree, the piano was used beautifully in the ET score, particularly the end credits.

7. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015