main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The power of fan adoration compelled him

à la Barbossa

PCCViking likes this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Maybe Calypso brought him back to do his duty like she brought back Barbossa to help her escape her bonds.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think breaking Will's curse somehow resurrected him or defaulted back to Jones- thus the nightmare visit. The Dutchman must have a Captain, after all.

Or maybe he was stuck in the Locker and remained protected from the breaking of the trident?

Darkslayer likes this.
  4. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I loved Dead Mans Chest just as much as the first one may be because It was the first in the franchise I saw at the theater. So I don't get your complaint there. These films are all Popcorn films nothing else, I liked them all to varying degrees.

5. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I'm not necessarily complaining about the similarities, just pointing them out.

6. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    so is this worth going to see?

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If you enjoyed the original three films and were disappointed by the fourth, I think so- it makes for a (mostly) satisfying epilogue to the trilogy. However, expect some familiar roles/elements to be less developed than their previous incarnations (the British villains, for example).

Darkslayer, bizzbizz and PCCViking like this.
  8. bizzbizz

Dec 16, 2015
    loved the original film the other ones not as much. might go check it out

9. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

If your like me and just want a good popcorn film once in a while, then yes I would see It! I am seeing It next weekend! also what else Is playing that looks any good? Baywatch:rolleyes: If you haven't seen Alien Covenant That Is a good one to see!

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Just saw it. Liked it better than any of the other sequels, but not as much as the original.

11. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    My major complaint was how predictable the plot was:

Barbossa was going to die. It was pretty well foreshadowed in the trailers with the shot of Salazar holding a sword on him. Then the multiple "On my life" comments. Finally, you just knew he was dead with the last minute reveal of having a daughter. I'm not even sure that reveal works well because it has literally no time to breathe. And while his death is incredibly heroic, it just felt so telegraphed. Frankly, I'd have loved for things to defy the odds and have the sea spit Barbossa back up (sort of like "A man so evil, hell itself spat him back up!" as those guards once said.)

Likewise, you knew Will was going to be set free of his curse because that was what the entire plot centered on. Same with assuming that Elizabeth would eventually show up.

As to Jack, Gibbs and the crew, they felt like they were treading water most of the time. As far as comedic relief, they had some moments, but nothing truly integral.

I also feel like the origin they gave Jack ruins his mystique. He became "The Sparrow" that day because he was in the crow's nest? And how does Salazar even know that given he goes and gets blown up right after. For that matter, what the heck was the compass being used AGAIN for? I thought they made it clear the compass was from Tia Dalma? Now, it seems it was the other Captain's who gives it to Jack and for a reason I REALLY don't get, giving the compass away is what sets Salazar free CONVENIENTLY AFTER he's sent Henry to find Jack. I don't mind a predictable plot but only when it is good and makes sense. This one had potential but it was just not well thought out at all. As a result, Jack and Salazar both suffer.

12. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I saw the film last Friday and I thoroughly enjoyed the film.

I know critics have slammed Johnny Depp's performance in the film, and to a certain extent I agree that it's a bit too much a caricature on Jack Sparrow; meaning very cartoony and lacks any depth or seriousness. But, I view Jack Sparrow in this film a Charlie Chaplin type of character/performance that's meant to be fun and carefree.

I thought the other two main characters were serviceable to the story. They remind of Rachel Weiz and Brendan Fraser's characters in The Mummy, where Weiz was the brains and Fraser the adventurer. I think if you liked the first two The Mummy films, you'll most likely like this Pirates film as it's pretty much the same story, pace and characters, plus Jack Sparrow.

PCCViking likes this.
  13. bizzbizz

Dec 16, 2015
    want to see wonder woman

14. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Saw it yesterday. I'm not sure if I would say it's as good as the first 3 but it was a lot better than 4 was. I loved that breaking the bank scene. I also liked the new protagonists too as they remind me of Rey and Finn. I would say the film is worth a watch.

15. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    For those who have seen it, I'm curious. Is there a scene where Jack beats a dead horse :p?

On a somewhat more serious note, I've noticed a distinct lack of merchandising this time 'round. No toys or tie-ins like Pop-Tarts of the Caribbean or Pirates of the Cari-Beanie-Weenies. Maybe I've just missed it, but it seems to have less of a presence at retail than its predecessors.

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Dead Man's Chest is actually my favorite of them, followed by the original. Stranger Tides I thought was okay...and I hated World's End. Haven't followed this new one because "lol they're making a fifth one", but now I'm thinking maybe it's worth a watch?

Also holy crap, this thread was started back in 2013? This movie's been in production for that long?

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually saw a toy commercial for it the other day, advertising Jack Sparrow's Pirate Ship and Salazar's Silent Mary with ghost shark torpedoes. Had a vague Disney Infinity style to it.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well this movie was a terrible waste of time/talent/money. Don't go see it, whatever you do.

*reads the last couple of pages*

I was too late.

darthcaedus1138 and SuperWatto like this.
  19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

No, not in production but in pre-production. However, the film was shot in the first half of 2015 so it did take it a while to get here.

20. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Any idea why when people check in on Facebook to state that they're viewing this movie (not me, but I've noticed it across my newsfeed) that Facebook lists the movie as Salazar's Revenge or something like that?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The film's production was also pushed back a couple times. IIRC, it was originally one of the seemingly endless 2015 megatitles that inspired the Box Office Bloodbath threads. So I'm not sure if they started shooting that early, even though it may have been originally slated for around that time.

Darkslayer and ShaneP like this.
  22. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I think it was originally slated for a July release this year, but when they pushed TLJ back to December, they moved Pirates up to this past weekend.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I recall Johnny Depp getting injured on set and having to fly to NY, IIRC, to receive medical attention.

24. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah the film finished production but they delayed the release for a long time. They also did extensive reshoots about a year ago. They might have finished filming, tested it, found it wanting, and scheduled reshoots to try and fix things.

That might have been yet another reason for the two year gap between principal and release.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Internationally it is marketed as Salazar's Revenge in many countries.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.