main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Aug 22, 2013.

1. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    It's Davy Jones.
    [​IMG]

AKA former captain of the Flying Dutchman before Will Turner stabbed his heart and became the new one.

And yes, we DID see him die in the third movie...but death only seems to be a slight inconvenience in the POTC universe.

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

Davey Jones was an Incredible character by an incredible Actor, ILM won an Oscar for the affects on Dead Mans Chest! Cant wait to see Davey Jones In Pirates 6!

3. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002
    My money is on Jolly Roger.
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully played by Andy Serkis.

In the PotC Online MMORPG, Jolly Roger was the Big Bad. He was big into voodoo with all the voodoo dolls and talismans, and was so skilled at it that he was second only to Tia Dalma.

In the game's storyline, he wanted Jack's place on the Brethren Court and wagered it in a hand of poker. He had another voodoo priest cast a hex on Jack in order to take his luck away (a theme played upon briefly in DMTNT). Unfortunately for him, Jack is a notorious cheater and through sleight of hand produced an Ace from his sleeve, winning the game and retaining his seat on the Brethren Court. Roger grew furious and shot the voodoo priest....and the priest cursed him to be the living dead.
    Unlike Barbossa in the first movie, Roger is not a rotting corpse....he's a bare-bones skeleton. Hidden in his dreadlocks are asps, and one of his hands was replaced with a prosthetic dagger/cutlass/flintlock combination.

Anyway...the reason I say Jolly Roger is because....the last scene of On Stranger Tides has Angelica finding the Jack Sparrow voodoo doll that Blackbeard was using.
    [​IMG]
    And voodoo dolls play a major role in the online game.
    [​IMG]

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    When was the online game produced? If it was an OST tie-in, it would make sense that it would leverage elements from that film.

5. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002
    It went online in October 2007 and shut down in September 2013....OST was released in 2011.

Angelica and Blackbeard never featured in the game, but they did have Blackbeard's sword, the Queen Anne's Revenge, and his zombie crew.

6. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I feel like going to see this will be my equivalent of BDSM torture.

7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    This is weeks late, but I just realized that this film literally has jumping sharks in it.

8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    So, how do we reconcile a couple of things from the movie?

1. Jack becoming captain of the Wicked Wench. Granted, this is easier since the backstory where Beckett made him captain (pre-sinking of the WW) wasn't in the movie itself, but it does seem to contradict that. Maybe Beckett makes it official for legal purposes after hearing about what Jack did?

2. The compass. The movie shows him getting the compass from the previous captain, yet in DMC, Tia Dalma says he got it from her.

As for a certain villain's return and the above mentioned speculation...
    Maybe Jolly Roger has the power to manipulate a person's fears...make Will think that Davy Jones has returned, both through a nightmare and the planting of evidence. That would allow Davy Jones to "return," and stay dead at the same time.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Depends if you're into that. For some people, that's the highlight of their weekend.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I thought the movie was better than OST, but still not very good.

Depp looked tired & somewhat disinterested, plus he sounded odd.
    Rush was great as always, I loved the bling.

No development for Will Jr really.
    Kaya was fine, but her major plot resolution wasn't well handled

End credits scene was weird. Doesn't make sense given what they did in the movie, but they could come up with a plausible explanation.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    For the second one,
    it could be more metaphorical- in that the compass came from the sea/her magic, and the flashback events are just how her gift reached Jack

PCCViking likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    For the second one,
    it could be more metaphorical- in that the compass came from the sea/her magic, and the flashback events are just how her gift reached Jack

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Saw it again. As with all the films in this series, the plot makes more sense the second time when you know what's going on.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    A little late to the party, but I didn't get to see this film until yesterday.

I'm a huge fan of the first three POTC movies. I liked them when they first came out (can't believe it's already been ten years since At World's End), and I've rewatched them several times since. When On Stranger Tides came out, I was very excited, but I saw it in the cinema and thought it pretty bland. Never rewatched it again, and it lowered my expectations for Dead Men Tell No Tales considerably.
    Well, never rewatched it until this past weekend that is. I saw all four movies to hype myself up for the new one. Still love the original three (and enjoyed At World's End more than before). On Stranger Tides, on the other hand, I find to be just terrible. The script is bland, the acting is bland, the cinematography is awful (which I blame entirely on the director, since they used the same cinematographer as the first three films), and the new characters are boring as hell. It's just a bad movie.

Anyway, I went to see the new one with a large group of friends, and had basically no expectations of it. But, as it turned out, I actually loved it. Sure, it wasn't as good as the originals, but it was a huge step up from the fourth one. It was fun, funny, and even a bit emotional.

The return of Will and Elisabeth helped the film a lot, even if they just appeared in cameos. I knew Orlando Bloom was in the film, but had no idea Keira Knightley would show up (in fact, I was almost certain they would do something stupid, like kill Elisabeth off-screen). They were always the emotional core of the movies, and were sorely missed in the fourth one. Their reunion brought a tear to my eye - wonderful to get a satisfying conclusion to their love story.

I also appreciated the death of Barbossa. He was a great character, and Geoffrey Rush played him brilliantly. I liked seeing him go out as a good guy, and thought Johnny Depp's silent - actually subtle - acting when Barbossa died was his finest moment in the film.

The new leads were decent enough. Not great, but at least they weren't "priest guy who for no appearant reason falls in love with a mermaid" and "Penelope Cruz being terrible at the whole acting thing".

I liked the return of Mullroy and Murtogg, and that they are still pirates - twenty years after At World's End [face_laugh] Too bad Pintel and Ragetti weren't in the film.

The stinger was interesting, but I'm not sure exactly what it was supposed to mean. I thought this would be the last film? Maybe not. But if the stinger indicates that Will and Elisabeth will be back, in larger roles, for a sixth Pirates film, I'm more than happy!
    So yeah, I really enjoyed this film, and I'm already looking forward to seeing it again.

My friends hated it :p

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So I finally got around to watching this. Was all right I guess...it's still got some of the charm of the other films, but the overall plot wasn't that exciting. The villain felt like a knockoff of Davy Jones, but more boring. Compared to the previous film, they're both unnecessary sequels, but I seem to remember that one being more fun. The father-daughter thing between Barbossa and Carina was a nice touch though.

So, my ranking goes: 2 > 1 > 4 > 5 > 3

16. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Any particular reason why you rank 3 as the worst? I always thought 2 and 3 were equal at the top. They even felt like one continuous film.

PCCViking likes this.
  17. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    This film literally destroyed my love of the franchise (and I loved Dead Man's Chest and At World's End).

:p

FatBurt likes this.
  18. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Should we try to convert this thread to the official pirates of Caribbean thread?

Drink up me Hearties yo ho[face_skull]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020