main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pirates of The Caribbean at CIV

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by JedHead1, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    I guess I may have started an interest for seeing the 3rd and eagerly awaited film in the POTC films, which opens Friday, May 25, during C4. It will be playing at the famous El Capitan Theater in Hollywood. Keep checking their website for tickets to go on sale:

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/el_capitan/tickets.html

This was brought up in the Costuming & Props section...

http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/12694756/p3

....and there was talk of going either to a midnight Thursday show or Friday night (depending on the programming schedule for C4). I know there will be people in costume for this. Anyone here included? I know there are people already planning a trip to Disneyland during the week of C4 as well. :D

2. JediXtine

JediXtine Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2006
    I too have thought about going to that while at C4, we will be at Disneyland the five days prior to C4. Luckily I already have a pirate costume :)! Thanks for the link for tickets!

3. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    I'll go see the POTC3 at that theater barring what the schedule for CIV is going to be.
    In the other forum message post they referred to getting VIP tickets. Obviously the cost extra but do they give you preferred seating? What do they give you other than food and drink. What is the crowd going to be there? Do we have to be there at 9:00pm to make sure we get in? If alot of people are going to go we should set up a meeting spot at the LACC or something.

My 2 republic credits.

D.L.

4. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Yeah, I'm gonna wait until I see what's up with C-IV. Somehow, I think I'll probably be waiting to see the movie until after LOL.

Just FYI - if you can spring for a reserved seat then you don't have to worry about standing in any long lines -- probably a good thing after a day at C-IV! Yeah, they're more money, but so much easier. Also, the balcony at the El Cap is a great place to sit. Only negative is the seats in the front row of the balcony -- there is no legroom! Really, I think there's way less than you get with an airline seat. So, be advised if you kinda like to stretch out and cross your legs. Other than that, it's a beautiful theater.

Tickets will go fast, obviously, so you might want to sign up as a member to get the advance notice.

5. Grumpy_Jedi

Grumpy_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2006
    Too bad we can't reserve the balcony as a group. That would be aweseome. You can do that at one of the theaters here in Baltimore and it's nice.

6. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Yes, the VIP AKA reserved seats are more expensive (I have paid $25, depending on the flick). For that you get a a numbered seat you can order online, popcorn and a drink. (See my other message for more info.)

If you do not have a reserved seat but you have a ticket, you will need to be there around 3:00 PM if you want a really good seat. I'm not kidding. For POTC2 I was in line at 3, and I wasn't even the first (think I was about four people in). This was of course for the first showing, at Midnight.

It is a fairly quick Metro ride from the 7th Street Metro station downtown to the Hollywood & Highland stop, right across the street from the El Cap. Leave early and go see Graumann's Chinese Theatre, which is also "right there." Or leave extra early and eat at Hamburger Hamlet, a few doors down from the El Cap, where George was having dinner when he realized that SW was the success it was going to be.

Of course other theaters will be showing the movie, this will not be the only place to see it! But it is probably the easiest to get to on the Metro. If someone you know at C-IV has a car, the Burbank or Pasadena theaters are also very nice. You will still need to order your ticket online and get there extra-early, because they don't have any reserved seating. Friends that went to Burbank for POTC2 got there at 3 PM, and they were about 20 people in.

7. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Val, I heard a rumor that Hamburger Hamlet had closed? Is there any truth to that?

8. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    My goodness, you are right! I just checked the L.A. Eater blog, and they confirmed it. That is terrible. Well, another restaurant will go in there, but it won't be the same. Oh, the horror!

9. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    When I saw POTC: DMC at the El Capitan, there were pirate performers outside the theater, entertaining the crowd. Inside, the employees were dressed up, and the whole theater was decorated to the hilt, including a Jack Sparrow from Disneyland. Inside the theater itself, there was a pirate playing the large pipe organ, and the side balconies had cannons that went off before the movie started. As the lights went down, the theater screen changed from a pirate map to translucent, revelaing the flaming skull logo, with skeletons hanging in cages, with thunder and lightning effects!

After the movie, you go through the lobby and downstairs, where they had costumes and props from the movie! Finally, in true Disney fashiion, you end up in the gift shop to stock up on your pirate booty! ;)

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    What do you mean, Hamburger Hamlet closed??? I ate there just a few weeks ago!! :eek:

And as for Pirates, I'll see it the week after, probably.

11. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    This is one event I am adament about attending during my trip in LA. I'm assuming there will be a midnight showing at the El Capitan? I didn't see one listed for Bridge to Terabethia. I'm going to call Disney today and see what I can find out and I've set the El Capitan as my homepage so I'll know the second pirates tickets go on sale.

12. pwinklespi

pwinklespi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 30, 2004
    Not too much of a pirates fan. I actually bought me and the Mrs. tickets to go see Wicked our first night in LA.

13. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Yep, closed on January 8. Sad to see a little bit of the SW mythology disappear.

14. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    I would hope that they would have a a midnight showing. I think that would be the best time to go, I don't think there will be much happening at CIV at midnight. That is unless they are going to be playing the movies every night like they did for CIII. Then that would be difficult, see a Star Wars movie with a bunch of fans and alot of "audience participation" or go see POTC3. Obviously, I would lean more towards Star Wars.

15. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    I'm sure they'll have a Midnight showing. The problem is that unless you're able to get one of the VIP tickets, you will have to be in line very early to get a decent seat (unless you like sitting in the front row -- some people do!). Which means you'll miss activities at C-IV.

16. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Yeah if I can't get VIP tickets, I won't go, at least not on that day. I'm not spending an entire day in LA sitting in line, especially on a con day.

17. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    There's bad seats at the El Capitan?? o_O :p

18. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Sure -- depending on your eyesight -- those first few rows, doncha know. And like I said, that front row of the balcony is tough on people with long legs. You cannot stretch your feet out at all.

19. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    Never got into the Pirates of the Caribbean films. The idea of a film based on a ride at Disney World just doesn't stick with me. I saw the first film and was not impressed at all. And I cannot stand Johnny Depp as an actor.

20. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    really? you guys???

You're thinking PotC at a Star Wars convention, one that's celebrating 30 years, where you can probably see all 6 films and you're thinking of pirates?

different strokes, I guess. but I'm surprised. Not slamming, just surprised.

21. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    When I first learned the date P-III was opening I thought I'd go see the midnight opening during C-IV. As May gets closer, I'm having my doubts. Not sure I can make the jump from a galaxy far, far away to an ocean in the past. I've decided that if there's time and I have the inclination, I'll go, but I'm not worried if have to wait until after C-IV.

22. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    lovelucas posted:really? you guys???

You're thinking PotC at a Star Wars convention, one that's celebrating 30 years, where you can probably see all 6 films and you're thinking of pirates?

different strokes, I guess. but I'm surprised. Not slamming, just surprised.

d-ludicrous posted: Yeah, why not? Who says that week has to be Star Wars exclusive? What Star Wars function is going to be happening at midnight anyways? (Assuming you go the midnight showing of POTC3) Plus this is only 1 movie on 1 day for like 2+ hours. It's not like we are ditching the SW in favor if POTC. I'm not slamming, I am also suprised about your reaction.

Any ways, does anybody know what day and time the midnight showing tickets will go on sale? Or do we have to check with the website everyday?

D.L.

23. ValedaKor

Oct 25, 2000
    Right now they haven't gotten their member site up and running yet, so it looks like you'll have to check in fairly regularly to get that info.

24. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    I think you will be spending an entire day in LA sitting in line anyway! ;)

I think the more I can do in Calif. with all the money I'm spending the better! Especially being from the East, I will neve get an opp. to go there again (nor whould I want to!)

25. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Now, now, be nice; My home this is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.