main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Pit Row (The AARC Discussion Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Jedi Gunny, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I think this is a good comparison:

:p

Trieste likes this.
  2. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    So, how are things going thus far? Are we having fun? Is the game exciting?

During the offseason (which occurs after Race #8), I'll look into making any necessary changes to the game layout and method for the 125 season. Please PM me or post idea in this thread if you feel like things need to be changed, or if you're good to stay the course as is.

TAGS for everyone: Trieste, Vehn, galactic-vagabond422, BartSimpson-SithLord

3. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Things are going well over here for the most part. (Of course, I've done pretty well on the whole so that's easy to say.) I like the format of having results after each lap--that's a nice touch because it helps me define the ebb and flow of the race.

4. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    I like the format we have and I enjoy the pre-race write ups that preview each track. Honestly I couldn't ask for better material to write about.I'm enjoying not dominating and having the pit falls, for lack of a better word, hamper the heroic efforts of Jamie to do the impossible and save her father. Great stuff. Will definitely return for next season. Maybe not in the same craft though :p

5. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I guess the other question is this: is a roughly 3 in 5 chance of finishing too high? Too low? Just right?

6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    It all depends on how dangerous you want the sport to be. A 40% chance of crashing seems a bit high to me instinctively. However, in 2011 (the first year for which I could find stats) there were 139 accidents over 36 races. I don't know how many racers there were in those 36 races to figure out a percentage. AARC need not adhere to reality, of course.

7. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    It does seem a bit high, yes, and that's why I'm pondering a move to make crashing or mechanical failure less likely to occur. Maybe somewhere around 25 to 30%?

Mostly I say this because sling racing is supposedly "safer" than swoop racing. Now, the chances of survival in airspeeders is probably higher should you crash, but I think that at lower speeds it would probably be safer overall to fly them. So, that would indicate the percentage is too high. But I'm open to keeping it where it's at, too, in case that's where everyone would like to go.

Oh, and Vehn, that "Insert Name Here" fellow is quite an accomplished racer. :p

8. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    LOL! I knew there was a part I needed to edit. Maybe I'll leave that in for posterity ;)

Jedi Gunny likes this.
  9. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009

Thrilling description of the foundry Jedi Gunny! Reminds me of my time playing Rebel Assault II as a kid and navigating the mining facility :) See above video for reference.

Trieste likes this.
  10. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Assuming you're referring to NASCAR Sprint Cup, 43 drivers per race. Don't forget to consider mechanical failures in the percentage as well.

Also, as a potential future player in this game ;), I'll venture my unsolicited opinion that 40% is too high, especially for races of such short duration (single-digit laps). I think somewhere around 20% to 25% would be better.

Vehn and Jedi Gunny like this.
  11. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Another crash-tastic race this week. Several racers squandered an excellent chance to try and catch up to the leaders.

12. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Lots of wreckage out there. Going to be a lot of clean up as well!

13. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    LOL, Trieste, that GIF had me laughing so hard! Great stuff and great post!

14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    By happenstance I just happened to see that today and I thought, "This is too perfect not to use!"

15. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Hopefully we're less than 24 hours away from the next set of results. Lots of dreams could continue or be dashed on Brentaal, and it's going to be a big one.

16. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    There's a lot to like about the Brentaal course. ;)

17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Which reminds me, I could throw in some NPC interactions if anyone is interested. [face_whistling]

18. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I'll take you up on that when Niall inevitably crashes into all of them in a six speeder crash right off the starting line. [face_laugh]

19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I meant more for the AARC racers being available for interaction, but I guess I didn't make that apparently obvious above. :oops: When the GM forgets things about his own game, that's a truly sad sign . . .

20. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I thought that's what you meant--you were making the NPCs available for interaction during races and I was saying that I figure my next interaction in the game will be me crashing into all of them. ;)

21. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    History has just been made in this game. :D

22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Sorry for being so tardy on the new course reveal, folks. I just lost track of what day it was. :oops:

23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    And it all comes down to the race next week to determine who gets the AARC berths for next season and who falls just short.

24. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    The results from this week's race will be posted Monday, when I have time to post an update. Busy weekend.

25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Same here! Nothing to worry about. :)