main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Pitting different versions of the same thing against each other.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by johnhenry6969, Aug 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnhenry6969

johnhenry6969 Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2018
    Now, this is somewhat contradictory since I have things that I personally don't like in Star Wars, but I still think this is a big problem.

A large part of the Star Wars (and many other) fan communities seems to be picking a better or worse version of a thing or installment of a thing.
    For example, I was just watching TLJ and I got to the scene with Yoda. Yoda is a puppet in TLJ when he was CG in the PT. The problem for me is that these movies are supposed to be installments in the same story, and yet that illusion is shattered into a million pieces when things like puppet Yoda or TFA being like the anti-prequel in much of its approach are pretty much rebuttals of earlier installments.
    Another thing is the whole "TCW Anakin vs PT Anakin". Regardless of which one you like better, it's (IMO) a universe destroying problem when people perceive the two characters as different enough to like one and dislike the other, when TCW is supposed to be a continuation of Attack of The Clones.

So I guess my problem is, how can the fact that people can't stop picking and choosing elements they like and don't like from the movies (that goes for fans and creators alike) not completely destroy the illusion that ALL of these events from ALL of these movies and shows take place in the same universe? I mean, I definitely have movies that I would delete from the canon, but the canon itself isn't really a canon if different pieces within the canon are taking stands against other pieces, or being different while claiming to be the same, like with Yoda or Anakin. (This second one is both the fact that TCW Anakin maybe should have been closer to Hayden, but also that they aren't really AS different as Hayden detractors claim, and late season Lanter Anakin was as "unlikable" as Anakin ever was, especially in arcs like the second Clovis arc.)

This was kind of a ramble, but it's something i've been wanting to get off my chest for a while. Any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.