main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Planned meet for March

Discussion in 'Archive: Kent UK' started by AmberStarbright, Feb 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Ok CrazyMike is coming to the UK for a few days on a business trip around the end of March so I thought
    I'd put together a meet for while he's over here so he can meet us guys.

Obviously it will have to be on the weekend which will be Saturday 27th :)

Does any have any suggestions on what to do (besides Forbidden Planet obviously) as this is Mike's first time to the country.

Also meal wise are there any suggestions? (Matt are you willing to try something new? :p )
    How are people for going for an Indian meal? :)

2. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm writing the date down in my diary :D

My one suggestion so far would be the London-eye. I've always wanted to go and would give Mike a great chance to see London good and proper, even though it will be all grey and old :p

I'll be OK with the Indian meal....just. Fortune favours the brave, or so they say.

I will ponder more suggestions in the near future, and if you would like to treat us all at FP mike, please feel free ;)

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Count me in, assuming nothing work-related comes up between now & then. Indian will be fine for me as well.
    Do you know if Lynora is coming with him?

4. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000

Hello gang, I am looking forward to meeting you all and see Jeannette once again :)

Lynora is not coming LAJ...

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's probably a good thing if we are taking you to FP, Mike..
    Anything in particular you would like to see while you are here?

6. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    [face_laugh]
    Well Matt suggested to go Hamley's also....which is probably a bad idea to get me into Hamley's as you'll never get me out of the store :p

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I think I have been in Hamleys once, and it was when I first moved here. If they have SW figures I'm in favor of a stop there.

8. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    They have a few SW figures but not a great amount I don't think

9. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    ok here is a few things I found, I haven't included any museums on the list.

Tower of London £12 Adult £9 Student http://www.hrp.org.uk

Covent Garden http://www.coventgardenmarket.co.uk/

London Eye Adult:£11.50 : 5 February 2004 - 31 March 2004 http://www.londonnet.co.uk/ln/guide/about/londoneye.html

London Dungeons Adult Ticket GBP 14.50, Student Ticket GBP 12.75
    http://www.thedungeons.com/
    Not sure how long this one would be though but wouldn't think you would need the whole day there.

10. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I can recommend the London Dungeon, having been there before. It's basically Madame Tussaud's with a horror slant. Much fun! It would probably be an hour or two to get through.
    London Eye wouldn't be my first choice as heights and I don't get along.
    If we want to show Mike some of the sights fairly quickly, I can recommend Duck Tours. Originally known as Frog Tours, it encompasses both land and water. I took my US friend on this a couple of years ago and he had a blast. You pick it up outside Waterloo Station over near the London Eye area. You would need to book this probably as they can be crowded (although we went in summer. This time of year it might not be too bad).

11. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    After going to the Duck tour website, I get the impression they should be paying us to go in those.....things! I mean, are they even legal these days? [face_laugh]
    Saying that, it's certainly different and I'd be up for it. Best bring my wellies though :p

The London Dungeon's good but wasn't that long since I've last been, so not as appeling to me as the others.

London Eye wouldn't be my first choice as heights and I don't get along.

There's always one, isn't there :p
    And you've been on Concorde :eek: ;)
    I had a feeling the height issue might be a factor, and I'd rather do something we can all enjoy, so no worries there if you don't want to do that one :)

Covent Garden is a gooden. It's always nice to go there especially on a sunny day. I think whatever we do, covent garden, FP and Hamleys can be part of the plan.

12. AmberGold

AmberGold Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    There's always one, isn't there
    Yep and it's normally you and food ;)

Actually it's easy enough to go on lpanes even if you are scared of heights, you just don't sit next to the window :p

I don't think it will be something everyone is going to be totally happy with there is no way of making everyone happy.

13. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Planes don't bother me height-wise, but I look at the London Eye and I feel no desire to go on it.
    The Duck Tours vehicles have been refurbished, but they do date back to WWII. It's just different than your ordinary double-decker tour bus.

14. AmberGold

AmberGold Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    Let's be cruel, Mike is there anything you want to do whether its what we have suggested or not?

I'm pretty easy for things really, I've haven't done any of the touristy things since I was very small.

15. darth-dom

darth-dom Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2000
    Hello folks! :)

Count me in for this! The London Dungeon is good, although I havn't been there ages (which is a good thing). I also like the idea of the London eye, because I havn't been on it yet and have heard loads of great things about it.

Food wise - I'll go along with anything.

Look forward to meeting you Mike!

16. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    I just want to meet you all :) How about lunch somewhere and a trip over to FP...

17. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Great dom :D

Mike you are going to do something besides visit a sci fi store :p

18. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Whatever you want to do Jeannette is fine with me :)

19. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    lol You are going to have to help decide on what to do, otherwise I'm going to Linda and telling her you're being a very bad RSA .... blackmail is a beautiful thing ;)

20. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    *tstststs* Beware Jean! I am there to keep an eye on you. ;)

21. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Flo you should support me in the fact he's trying to dump the decision making on me! Come on you can't think that's right? :( ;)

22. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    [face_laugh] what did I say !!!

23. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    Nothing which is it :p

It's your trip what would you like to do? :)

24. CrazyMike

Dec 4, 2000
    Hmmmm how about London bridge !!!

25. AmberStarbright

Dec 20, 2002
    I was going to suggest Tower of London, and those that dont want to really do anything can meet with the rest of us afterwards :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.