main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

planning a visit down south

Discussion in 'Archive: South' started by darth_frared, Dec 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    hello all

i thought of coming down from manchester some time in february. i have never been south of london so i figured it's about time.

i'd really like to see brighton and the indian palace one of the kings built.

would you have any other suggestions for a time frame of 4/5 days and no car?

2. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Um, Salisbury for the Cathedral and Stonehenge (though very touristy), Portsmouth for the Giant Phallic Structure, and Bristol or Bath if you want to join a South meet :p

3. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    is there a south meet in february? or do you just randomly invite me? :D

giant phallic structures, to my mind, are always worth visiting :p

4. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Well, there may be a meet in Bristol or Bath, either in January or Fenruary, hopefully, so you'd be free to come along to that if you wanted. Another point actually, I need to remember to ask Tim about conventions in Bristol :p

As for the Giant Phallic Structure, it's called the Spinnaker Tower :p

5. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    you of the fabulous hair and metal attitude, i shall gladly come to your meeting if it fits with the term break :D

and, wohoo, does it look cool

[image=http://www.tensilefabric.co.uk/projects/spinnaker/img06.jpg]

6. major_phennir

major_phennir Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2006
    I can certainly recommend Portsmouth for a visit :) As well as the aforementioned Spinnaker Tower, there is also the Historic Dockyard with HMS Victory, Mary Rose and Warrior plus a couple of other museums charting the history of the Navy. A visit to Old Portsmouth is worthwhile for a walk along the old fortifications guarding the harbour entrance, the Round & Square Towers, the Anglican Cathedral and the High Street has a number of interesting buildings. Across the harbour is Gosport and worth visiting is HMS Alliance, a World War II submarine. Not far from Portsmouth is Portchester Castle (the most complete Roman fortifications in Northern Europe) and Southampton. Again, a great place for a martime buff like me - I'd recommend the Maritime Museum near Royal Pier for a visit.

Brighton, which you mentioned in your original post is a fine place to spend a day or two, easily accessible from Portsmouth by train. Further along the coast the other way are Eastbourne and Hastings, typical seaside Britain, if you like that kind of thing. Even further afield is Dover, I can recommend a visit to the Castle but the town itself is not worth bothering with.

Heading further west from Portsmouth, a day trip is possible to Bournemouth, one of my favourite towns on the south coast. Inland, how about Winchester, which was once the capital of England. Its a fine city with lots of historical interest.

There's a few ideas, hope they whet the appetite!

7. marte

marte Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    hey martina we should definitely meet! even if you can't come to bath/bristol/wherever, pm me when you know about what time you'll be here so we can figure something out. would love to see you again! [:D]

8. darth_frared

Jun 24, 2005
    yes, thanks, that all sounds good. (specially the invite from marte :D )

i'll be telling you some dates etc so we can figure something out.

9. CARBONITEKID

CARBONITEKID Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2005
    If you want to point and laugh at the inbreds pop on over to the Isle of Wight mate ;)

They don't tend to bite unless you have food.[face_monkey]

10. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I'm wanting the North to make a trip down to the South sometime next year so we can all have a North/South meet, so I hope you guys would be up for that. It's just an idea floating about in my head at the moment, so if you're up for it PM me and harass me a lot :p

11. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Should be fun - though there is going to be one big multi-chapter meet in 2007, a little thing called Celebration Europe ;) :p

12. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I mean something social that doesn't require us to have to make any effort towards anything apart from having a good time and hanging out with each other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.