main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Player of their Generation?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by FatBurt, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Manning is a very good QB, but until he manages to get thru the playoffs, and at least get to a Superbowl, I don't think he should be considered great. He's been surrounded by a very talented team for how many seasons now?

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It's team thing Buddy.

teams are led by the quarterback. it's a team game, but none of these players were bit parts on their teams. they were leaders, and manning in particular has had ample opportunity to win a big game and has failed to do so.

edit: also, i rarely (if ever) say anything like this, but "buddy", i've been around here a long time. you've got less than 400 posts. quit acting like you're hot stuff and making it seem like i don't have any idea what i'm talking about. i didn't get to this position by my looks.

3. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    I do have life.. I can't just sit here, and post my life away... Besides I can care less about how you got where you where. Go tell someone else who give a damn.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    *gives thread quick kick in the sack*

Nobody's mentioned Ali (that I saw), who, while not in a team sport, was certainly a dominating figure in the 60s and 70s.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    NBA: Jordan was definitely the face of the 90's, but he's tarnished his legend a bit with the continuous retirements-unretirements thing he's pulled.

I don't think he really tarnished his reputation that much, and he will always be the face of the '90s (6 titles, 1 decade? not bad), as well as one of the standards that people are compared to, and very rarely compared to on anything close to equal footing.

6. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I think the second comeback tainted his legacy, slightly. The first one was fine, and how he left the second time should have been the perfect ending for him.

7. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    No mention of Pelé? [face_plain]

8. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    A record that would have belonged to Barry Sanders, had he not mysteriously just up and retired while he still had at least 3 solid years left in him (though i'm pretty sure i understand exactly why he retired.)

Again, Emmit wasn't even the best back of his generation, but he played for "America's" team while Sanders toiled away for the Detroit Lions, so Smith gets alot more kudos.

9. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    woulda coulda shoulda.

it's not Smith's fault that Barry's a quitter.

10. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    was jim brown a quitter?

11. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
  12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    why?

there's something to be said for going out on top, on your own terms, when you're still at your best (or close to it).

13. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    And not destroying your body and stuff.

14. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    well at least Barry had a real reason to quit.

Jim Brown quit because he wanted to be in movies...

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Jim Brown quit because he wanted to be in movies...

what's wrong with that? Ted Williams was a hall of famer at both baseball and fly-fishing, and a legendary pilot. athletes can have multiple interests. obviously, brown was no legend at acting, but it was something he wanted to do. when you conquer everything in your chosen profession, the sense of challenge can be lost.

16. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    Wasn't he John Glenn's wingman?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.