main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Plot Holes In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zackm, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    R2-D2 had the map of the galaxy with the known piece of the map. This was from the Imperial archives, and R2 downloaded this from the Death Star main computer.

And by the way, this information is not even needed to follow up what is happening in TFA. You just have to know that R2 had a piece of the map, period. We don't see C-3PO studying language books, so we don't need to see R2 downloading stuff and this information being exposed to us.

The First Order also had the same piece already. The First Order, being built on the remnants of the Empire, of course had acess to the same information.

The missing part, the most important one, was the one that Lor San Tekka found.

It is important to notice that the First Order was aware of the known piece of the map, and the Resistance was not, because R2 was hibernating. So the First Order knew they just needed to find the missing piece, while the Resistance did not know what they would get in the missing piece, if something complete or partial.

R2 did not tell the Resistance that he also had the known piece, but he was there anyways and as soon as his information was useful, he became online and complemented the map.

At no point, Luke left a map to himself. At no point, Luke left a map to the First Jedi Temple. At no point, Luke told anyone that he found the First Jedi Temple.

Given that quite a long time passed since Luke left on his search for the Temple, Lor San Tekka, Han, Leia and others supposed he found it.

Finally, given that they wanted to find Luke, their best bet was to try to find the missing piece of the map. Which is why the map was never a map to Luke. And why this is not a plot hole.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    When he wakes up, Kylo says something like "get the army down to the Resistance base".

There was absolutely no way he could know about the base. Even if we accept that Snoke found out about the transports through the Force, which is already a stretch, nobody was aware of the existence of the base. This is a plot hole even according to the most restrictive definition of the term.
    We have a character suddenly knowing something that was established to be secret.

Oryx-I and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  3. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    In Rio de Janeiro, summertime, 45 Celcius, it can get dry in 1 or 2 hours, EASILY. Very easily.

And we only have one sun.

Water draining in one hour under TWO hot suns in an alien universe is not a plot hole.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Vicarious Fan and Martoto77 like this.
  4. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Lol It was very, very clear that island was not in Rio the Janeiro, summer time, with 45 celcius out there.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  5. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    And it was clear that it had two suns, and the weather was good enough for a high temperature.

Vicarious Fan likes this.
  6. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    The suns only came in the end and they don't inform on the temperature. People's clothes usually do (which in the ST means nothing, as characters also wear thin clothes in the snow).
    The island clearly had Northern Europe's weather, Northern Europe's grayish and humid skies and nasty rainy seasons. Nobody would look at it and think "yeah that's totally Brazil, or a place with hot climate".

Blastaar likes this.
  7. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    The suns were there all the time, of course. The camera only focus on them for dramatic effect during the final Luke scene. But they were there, orbiting close together.

Temperature was high enough to dry things after a few hours. I suppose this is very easy to agree.

Snoke dragged Rey near to a big TV screen and showed her all the Resistance transports being destroyed one by one, while they were trying to escape to Crait. While at the same time Kylo was there too.

8. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Easier to agree is that it's just a film blooper.

9. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    So, not a plot hole.

At most, a continuity error IF one wants to believe that it is impossible that a place with two suns is able to be mostly dry in a few hours, which is something nobody can say for sure, since no information was given in the movie to either confirm or to deny this possibility.

Martoto77 likes this.
  10. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    Film bloopers are also plot holes, but I shall retreat and leave that to you guys to continue your "No Plot Holes"" crusade. ;)

Blastaar and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  11. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Thanks. The pseudo-scientific details of how many hours does it take to dry an alien planet with two suns over an unspecified amount of time is something I would like to avoid too. ;)

Especially when the movie does not give us any information about the permeability of the soil, and temperature, atmospheric pressure, the humidity levels, the flow rate of the air and such other important variables that impact evaporation. And we don't even know the exact molecular composition of the rain in that alien world. It could have been something else and not even H2O.

Martoto77 likes this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Three questions? [face_thinking]

1. Maz seems to have connections to the Resistance based on TFA. Poe is a high ranking member of the Resistance.

2. Maybe he grows potatos on the island. Fish and chips can hardly be called "low fat". :p
    No but seriously, Mark Hamill is slightly overweight, and therefore so is Luke. I guess you could argue that Luke simply dressed in a lot of layers and therefore appears overweight. That's a stretch though.

Plot holes are "bloopers", but bloopers are not necessarily plot holes.
    I assure you that I am not on any sort of crusade, but I am enough of a film nerd ( :-B ) to point out when the wrong terms are used. :p

13. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    So the truth here is that the "plot hole" is not the 18 hour timeline, but rather that Ahch-To dried too quickly.

LOL

My post literally mentions that the timeline easily allows 6+ hours for the island to dry out. Why are you talking about an hour or two?

I honestly don't understand the point of arguing in such a way. Wouldn't it be more useful to come to the table in good faith?

14. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    yes he does. Remember when Snoke is alive they are already destroying the Rebel Transports going to the base. So yeah Kylo already knows the plan. Remember DJ tells them the entire plan prior to Snokes Death

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  15. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I disagree. Snoke in some inexplicable way receives the news of the transport. I am willing to accept it, even if it sounds a bit odd, since nobody communicated it to him. Let's say it was the Force... So, he shows the transports in his mirror. Fine. However, there was no way any of the people in the throne room could know that those transports were going to a rebel base in Crait. However, Kylo appears to have crystal clear everything was going on as soon as he wakes up.
    Remember that Dj does not tell the entire plan 'cause he couldn't possibly know it. He just tells the portion of the plan he knew, that is simply that the Raddus was being abandoned. Nobody apart from Holdo, Leia, and maybe D'Acy (not even Poe!) knew about the rebel base.

16. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    They told me there wouldn’t be any math.

I deleted my 3rd question after Googling and forgot to edit.

3. How does DJ know if the escape pods?

I couldn’t find any answers here. Apparently he overheard Poe talking to Finn when DJ was on the ship with Finn and Rose. That was the answer I goy in quora or Reddit.

Ricardo Funes and TCF-1138 like this.
  17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Correct. He knew about the transports. He didn't know about the rebel base, which brings us to the plot hole I was discussing.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  18. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    I'll have to watch again, but this could be valid.

The Legions of Lettow and 3sm1r like this.
  19. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    be honest, you didn't even know achtoo had two suns until the end when it was time to call back to ANH. As I said, luke's clothing also gave you an idea of what the weather was like on the island. If you guys wanna keep pretending it was scorching, then go right ahead.

20. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    You think an island drying too quickly (it didn't) is a plot hole. Think about how silly that sounds. Is this really the hill you want to die on?

21. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    Uh...I never listed that as a plot hole. You know that. So...lets not be a child about all of this ok?

22. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    That is the root of your assessment. Is it not?

The movie tells you that the island dried within an allotted time. You don't think that's feasible and therefore actually took longer, despite what the movie told you. Which leads to your conclusion that it is a plot hole. What am I getting wrong about your assessment?

Vicarious Fan likes this.
  23. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    Ben knows about the transports landing on Crait. So from his point of view he knows that there are rebels gathering on a desert disused mining planet with a few of their tech equipments in their luggage..which makes Crait de facto a "rebel base". Knowing that there are mines that were once turned into a base by the old rebellion is not necessary to call the planet a Resistance base.

Also i assume that once the FO knew about the transports and Crait they scanned the planet and saw there was infrastructures where you can settle a temporary camp..aka a base.

@Blastaar and Finn not knowing then knowing stuff again is not how it plays out. It's Rose who talks about hyperspace tracking, and Finn understands how that is working. Since he knows about the Supremacy's structure it's not hard for him to find out about its most likely whereabout (with help from Rose, they are really figuring out together)

100 pages and there's just one potential proper plot hole, the ahch-to timeline..i say potential because i have to watch it again to make up my mind (dont know which of the opposite affirmations in this thread about it gets it right and gets it wrong)

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  24. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    In the Star Wars universe, those transports were used to leave ship and go to land.

Since they all were next to a planet, which they could see from their windows, and the transports were going in that direction.... there is no need for someone to give expository dialogue about how it is obvious that the Resistance was escaping to a secret base in that planet.

25. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015

Ok, you're like a dancing clown at this point. You're really sitting here trying to re color my argument. The same argument you've just spent the last page or so arguing against. Show me were my plot hole list was "the island dried too quickly.".