main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Plot Holes In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zackm, Dec 18, 2017.

1. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015

"Ben" couldn't just force freeze everyone while he and his buddies ran off?

It was a duplicate of Order 66. Kylo Ren massacred kids that could grow up to be Jedi. His goal and Snoke's was to prevent a new Jedi Order, to kill the last Jedi. It's all pretty clear and straightforward between the two movies.

It's just pretty shocking that Luke and Chewie didn't think to point that out to Rey before she ran off.

I think I'm not overly concerned with what you think confuses me or what you think I like or don't like. I am actually pretty crafty at thinking for myself.

wobbits likes this.
  2. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Oh boy...

-Del Toro heard Poe tell Finn and Rose

-He didn't create the map. More than likely he used the map.
    -Not every blue lightsaber is Anakin's
    -The vision from TFA does not show the KoR killing Jedi student. Just your imagination.
    -Who knows...seems like Snoke convinced him he could be the next Vader
    -We don't know if light-speed weapons work if they're not huge
    -Rey tells Chewie she'll signal him when she's done.
    -Ok

Satipo likes this.
  3. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    The vision from TFA shows them killing someone directly after a shot of Luke touching R2 which is seen from a different angle in this movie. The implication seems clear to me.

Can anyone else confirm that that was in fact Anakins saber and I didn't just misread the scene (which is possible).

"Who knows" - this is a huge who knows. It's literally the key to his entire character that we don't get to see.

4. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Since we still call this a discussion forum, not a venting forum, I think we are still allowed to discuss what others say, of course without taking the merit of anyone's point of view.

So, in line with this, I respectfully do not see any of these above as plot holes.

My points of view:
    - Maz can talk to Poe as much as we can talk to a coworker we never met before.
    - Maz is called to give information about some underworld folks, which is something established in TFA she deals with every day
    - Rey has a beacon to find the Resistance, the same one Finn is trying to take away from the fleet. This is how she finds the Rebellion, and she had the Falcon as Chewie flew her near to Snoke's ship and was waiting from her to return.
    - The LS Luke choose to use was a tease for Kylo and a hint to the audiences. Also, we are not told if Luke knew that the LS was damaged just a few moments before.

Facts as stated in TFA:
    - The map was a map for the first Jedi temple, which was something Lor San Tekka as a member of the Church of the Force had. Luke said to them he would search for the location of the first Jedi temple, and they assumed he found it, therefore assuming he was there. So it is not like Luke left a map wanting to be found later.

Vohnkar, TOASTEROVEN and Satipo like this.
  5. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    [face_dunno]
    I've only made one reply to you already. You must be getting mixed up.

A plot hole is information which is missing but required in order to understand or follow the plot and which cannot be explained with the obvious or already established facts.

This is not an argument. It's a fact.

You can disapprove of Rey's thawing towards Ben Solo. But her feelings of compassion and faith in him are not missing so, therefore, not a hole. They are quite conspicuous, as you say. These feelings are not new to Star Wars characters either.

Ricardo Funes and AndyLGR like this.
  6. zackm

Dec 22, 2015

That vision is all over the place. As far as I know, the succession of images don't have any discernible purpose at this point.

It was not Anakin's lightsaber. Full stop.

Who knows is indeed huge, but that doesn't make it a plot hole. In ANH we learn that Vader was a Jedi that turned to the dark side and hunted down the jedi. It wasn't until 2005 that we learned why he turned.

7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I actually think this was originally Rey’s back story (still as a nobody) and JJ would have had her father as the clan leader that was killed maybe. Then that got changed when Unkar came in which saw the saber cut out of the flashback. Now I think that killing and the KoR could be part of a future we’ll see in 9.

And yes, DJ overhears about the lifeboat ships sneaking to Crait while the Raddus moves on. DJ uses the info to bargain with the FO who run a decloaking scan to find the ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  8. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    It's different. Why Vader turned isn't important to the audience until we find out he is Luke's father and even then it isn't hugely relevant. Ben Solo being the son of Leia and Han and being trained by Luke inherently makes it important to us why he turned becasue we know and are invested in all those people. Similarly, while it's not of huge importance in the OT how the Empire and Emperor came to be, here it absolutely is because we thought we had seen them fall. The ST failing to explain where Snoke came from after the end of the sith and where the First Order came from and really WHO THEY ARE or WHAT THEY WANT, which are findamental principles of storytelling is just that, a huge failure of storytelling. We need to understand these things to be invested. Right now, after two films, I still don't understand what the first order even is. Is it remnants of the Empire? Did the Republic do something to create this dissent? What does Kylo Ren actually WANT in the darkness? Anakin wanted to bring order and "peace" to the galaxy. Is that what the first order believes? What is their deal? We just don't know and I don't think the filmmakers do either.

9. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    So did Chewie eat the roasted porg or not? Plot hole.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Not really a plot hole... But Rey and Poe introducing themselves in this film! So...

Poe blows up SKB and Rey defeats Kylo Ren.
    They all fly back to the Resistance base with Finn in a coma.
    Rey and Poe are now the two best friends Finn has.
    I assume they would both be doing regular welfare checks on him.
    I also assume there would have been a huge debrief after the battle.
    When they find the missing piece of the map to Luke they are there together.
    When Rey flys off to Ach-To Poe is there.

How the hell have these two not met before this exchange in TLJ?? [face_dunno]

What sort of gap after arriving at the Resistance base are we talking about before Rey heads of to see Luke [face_thinking] This could make me feel better or much worse about this situation! Haha

Vohnkar and Blastaar like this.
  11. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    moved my post over to the complaints forum

lots of complaints

Blastaar likes this.
  12. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    Not sure if holdo not telling people in a desperate situation what the plan is counts as a plot hole or just garbage writing. However, luke getting pissy over someone finding him after he left a map...to find him, is a plot hole imo.

afrojedi likes this.
  13. Oswin Oswald

Oswin Oswald Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 16, 2017
    Did I miss it?

Snoke is the one who made Rey and Kylo meet in the Force. How did they keep doing it after he was dead?

14. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Did you miss the OP?

15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Yep, somehow I posted in the wrong thread [face_laugh]

zackm likes this.
  16. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Do you think Snoke is a reliable narrator? I mean, just a few seconds later we see that he's unable to actually see what Kylo is about to do, despite telling us that he can. His weakness is that he overestimates himself. Pretty sure someone told him that.

17. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017

Sure, why would he lie about something like that?

18. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    And can someone explain the long chase?

"Out of range"? How can The Rebel ship be out of range when the enemy has ships with presumably plenty of fuel, 100s of TIE fighters and FTL capability?

Force Smuggler, MS1 and Sarge like this.
  19. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    When did Luke leave a map?

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

[​IMG]

POE, LOOK TO YOUR IMMEDIATE LEFT, IDIOT!

Probably the precise moment Artoo randomly came into possession of it.

Blastaar, Ren Kylo, afrojedi and 2 others like this.
  21. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Rey going from calling Kylo a murderous snake to bonding and touching hands with him in the span of one scene was pretty jarring. Pretty sure that’s a plot hole.

Blastaar likes this.
  22. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The fuel aspect is one of the worse parts of the story for me. Makes for a great remake of "Saga of a Star World" though except in Battlestar then desend to the Casio world to source fuel and the crew get eaten by lizard people :)

Lol, just realised Finn nearly wears the same costume as a Colonial Warrior.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

I'm gonna get technical here (Hey -- It's me!) with my own complaint about the chase. Resistance ships were said to be faster than FO ships, so they moved away, extending the range to where FO turbolasers couldn't pierce their shields. Then why didn't they keep going faster than the FO fleet and pull out of range completely? Why spend hours and hours right at the edge of enemy weapons range, getting pounded until they ran out of gas? For the love of tactics, take the advice of Monty Python: Run away, run away!

24. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I think it's a separate saber, not Anakin's. Design was different. Let me try and find a pic.

"who knows" is a huge how knows, but we knew less about Anakin's turn by the end of ROTJ and the fact that we didn't know the reasons for it didn't mean that lack of info was a plot hole. That's just story we don't yet know. Same in this case. We know what was relevant to the immediate Luke, Kylo and Rey story.

Whether or not anyone likes the explanation, the film does explain this. The Resistance ships are lighter and faster so the FO cannot close to within a destructive range. Likewise, when Kylo and the TIEs attack, we know that out of that range, the FO cruisers cannot provide the support they need and they will be picked off. HUx's hubris blinds him (oh, look a theme - much more interesting than plot minutiae!) because he's convinced the Resistance will run out of fuel and be destroyed before they can escape. And if it not for Holdo and Leia's plan, he would be correct. He doesn't need to change his course of action.

25. Oswin Oswald

Apr 16, 2017
    Presumably going faster uses more fuel, would be my guess.