main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive Podracer: Life in the Fast Line

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Imperial_Hammer , Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewok_jedi

ewok_jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 5, 2005
    IC: Izen
    Race Post #5

Izen was keeping up to Murrg and that other racer in front of him, coming out onto the final straightaway Izen hit his boosters once more causing his pod to shoot forward and his engines to roar. Unfortunately for him his pod was light and quick with small engines so even boosting wasn't all that big of a help for extended periods of time. If one of the racers with a more powerful pod was behind him and boosted as well he would be done for quickly. The two racers ahead of him were making it nearly impossible to get past them. Keeping his boost going till he was through the start line and onto his second lap holding it until he reached that first turn in the track again.

Following closely behind Murrg and the other guy, which Izen had still not yet been able to identify, going into the turn. Though he was at a disadvantage here all he really needed to get ahead was a quick boost to shoot ahead going into a turn and then just ride the engines hard trying to put distance between himself and the other racers, unfotunately that wasn't happening and he would have to fight with Murrg and the other racer for probably the rest of the race.

He continued to follow the two racers infront of him through the track, boosting in the small straightaways as they came up to them, keeping his pod crammed in right behind the two other racers. It was getting old to him to be stuck behind the racers but there was just nothing he could do about being stuck behind them yet, he would still have to bide his time perhaps on the straightaway after the split in the track they were coming up to he might be able to slip past at least one of the racers.

TAG: Dvc and Sephy

2. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    ***ROC Race Standings***

Completed
    - Corbin Antilles (18)

In Race
    - Kavark (13)

- Chad (6)
    - Izen (5)
    - Muurg Geafsit (4)

- Lethrak
    - Trak Delson

[b]OOC:[/b] What can we say Sithy, your character is memorable... ;)

[b]*** THIS COUNTS AS A RACE POST ***[/b]

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    IC: Kavark
    ROC Post #14

Kavark approached the split and decided to go for it all. He had nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

He pushed his pod it an full speed, going to the right again. He reached the pinnacle of the curve and did something drastic ...

he hit his boost ...

... and this time, it worked! His pod rocketed forward out of the curve, Kavark barely able to keep it on the track and make the turn back onto the rejoin section. He didn't bother to decelerate, trying to ride the momentum of using his boost for as long as he could, trying to make up the precious seconds he'd lost earlier.

He zoomed around the top of the track, his adrenaline pumping like it never had before. He could think or see anything around him, only react to the track in front of him. At his speed, every curve was a near-death experience, but one he was willing to take.

He came around the last dangerous curve and hit hte final straightaway. The Noghri racer could see the finish line in the distance, and focused his intensity on it.

He prepared himself for one last drive forward, one last stretch run for the season ...

Tag: Hammer

4. ewok_jedi

Nov 5, 2005
    IC: Izen
    Race Post #6

What the hell at the very least I might suprise one of them Izen thought as he went into the tracks split while hitting his booster as he did so. His small engines roared as his pod shot forward into the split of the track behind Murrg and the other racer. Pulling hard on the controls as he went through the turns, Izen crept closer and closer to Murrg as they went through the split of the track still riding his boost hard all the way through the split.

As soon as he came out of the split in the track Izen added more power to his boost while flipping some switches to jump his pod into the air above Murrg as the repulsorlift generators on the pod increased their power out put causing an increased distance between the pod and the track. Quickly Izen zipped over Murrg's pod and right behind that other racer's pod, as soon as he cleared Murrg's pod Izen flipped the same switches as before in a reverse pattern to drop his pod back down to a normal level, right behind that other racer. Yes! Izen though before quickling Looking down at his controls noticingt the temp guages were reading close to over heating but he didn't care he might not have a shot at first place but he certainately was going to give his best effort till the end of this race.

Izen continued to follow closely the other racer as the were coming up to another turn. Instead of cutting out the boost he tried adding more power to the boost as he entered the turn hot on the trail of the the racer he still could not. Time to this race to this guy or die trying Izen thought as he went into the turn his boost still running hot.

TAG: DVc and Sephy

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    IC: Kavark
    ROC Post #15

The Finish Line.

It was the only thing Kavark could see. The path before him was straight, and wide. There were no obstacles to overcome. There were no curves to conquer. There were no walls to smash into thanks to tampering. There were no teamates to work with. There was no jockeying to be done.

There was only the finish line.

The effects of the boost, and the decision to apply no brakes after using it, propelled Kavark at the fastest speeds he had achieved on thsi strip of track yet today. The velocity of his pod creating a great breeze blowing against him, while the roar of his engines drowned out every other sound, even the roar of the giant crowd assembled.

The Finish Line drew closer.

The sweat formed in greater and greater amounts. Dripping down the Noghri's face, it added to the moment. The sweat met his eyes, where it mixed with tears. Tears of joy, celebrating a great season. Tears of joy, celebrating new friendships formed. Tears of sadness, sorrowful for the end of this season of his new passion.

And for the final time this season, Kavark crossed the finish line.

He pulled his pod off the the side, and hunched over, in his pod. His head between his knees, sobbing with a mixture of emotions.

Tag: Angus, Hammer

race completion submission

6. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    (ooc: I'm only gonna get one more shot at this, it looks like)

IC: Murrg Geafsit
    Race Post #5

"~No one said you wouldn't be in the circle...you'll just have to stay behind me that's all. Maybe I'll send Pops a basket as well. We did quite a bit of bonding while Kellerman ferried him around the galaxy...you know protecting him from thugs and what not. Didn't hear you mention that either..."

Murrg chased Chad, only losing a little ground on the little fella as he boosted further ahead. Murrg was struck by just how deceptively large Chad's pod was. The diminutive creature occupied a reasonably large pod. Murrg gripped his accelerators intensely, doing everything he could to try to maintain his position behind the maverick rodent.

All of a sudden, that karking newcomer, Izen, literally fell out of the sky between Murrg and Chad. A few meters ahead, Chad pulled into the sharp S-curve at a full boost. It was a nifty trick, and the Chadra'fan probably thought himself more daring than Murrg. Frag that, Murrg thought, I'm done after this race anyways. Nothin' to fear. Besides, I'm the sharpest turning racer in the Galaxy anyways.

Praying that, Izen wouldn't recover from his little maneuver in time to stop him, Murrg swung to the inside of him, focusing entirely on Chad, throttling the life out of his twin accelerator handles. If he was lucky, the Kel-Dor would be forced to travel at speeds that his engines found more comfortable for the time-being.

He smiled as he chased Chad full speed and headlong into a near-impossible series of turns, braking and reaccelerating like a madman, his tetheed cockpit jerking from side to side. Frak, that'll attract the Doc.

Tense moments later, Murrg and Chad were on the other side. He was faintly aware of Izen in their vicinity, but had lost sight of him during his and Chad's daring maneuvers.

The Nosaurian kept boosting as his "Engine Temp. Warning" alarms blared. He just needed to get past Chad, and he could relax and focus on keeping them behind him, and the title of 'next-best Podracer in the Galaxy' would be his.

Tag: DVC, e_j

(Edit: Sorta ignored e_j. Fixed that now)
    (Edit2: Didn't actually count my posts. I was on #5, not #6. Thanks for correcting me, e_j)

7. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    OOC: This is it... [face_worried]

*Deep Breath*

[b][color=#dd0000][u]***THE ROC IS NOW COMPLETE***[/u][/color][/b]

[b][color=green][u]***ROC Race Standings*** [/u] [/color] [/b]

[u]Completed (No Particular Order)[/u]
    - Corbin Antilles
    - Kavark

[u]Did Not Complete (Also in No Particular Order)[/u]
    - Chad / Izen
    - Muurg Geafsit

- Lethrak
    - Trak Delson

[hr]

I'll go... type up..... my final post....

[face_cry]

8. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    (ooc: Don't cry, just get to work on Podracer II :p )

9. ewok_jedi

Nov 5, 2005

10. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    OOC- I'm kind of sad too, it's been almost a year!

11. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    GM?s OOC: This is my final GM post for this game, Podracer: Life in the Fast Lane. Players will be allotted two to three days to post their closing posts for their characters (if they wish) before I roll credits and declare this game officially over. From there, we will do a focus group and ideas session for approximately a week, and then I will have this thread locked.

I would go into a long production as to the success of this game, and how much you great players mean to me, and all that jazz, but you all know that anyway. ;) Truly, it?s been a run for the ages. You?ve all made history here people, be proud. A much deserved standing ovation for everyone.

A Pleasure and an Honor,
    -Neil

[b]IC: The Race of Champions [/b]
    [i]Location: The Coruscant Skylines [/i]

And for some, just as quickly as the ROC began, so too did it end. Each of the racers made their way across the finish line in due time. From the furious firefight between Corbin and Kavark, to the equally as intense battle for third between Izen, Chad, and Murrg, the galaxy watched. A legendary and amazing finish, a battle of mythic proportions, quite fitting for the gods of speed each of them were.

Unlike the previous races, the judging on this one required no deliberation. Only the best of the best sat to determine the winner of this race, and each came to the same conclusion with relative ease. This is not to say their choice was easy, but rather that their skills were high.

All the cameras focused on the lead judge, as he stood, commanding the attention of the galaxy. In his hands, the flimsy that would decide it all. He approached a nearby microphone by his booth and cleared his throat. The man was a tall male human, brown haired with a moustache. He wore a relatively normal tunic and pants.

?Ladies and Gentlebeings,? he started ?In just a few minutes, I will reveal the results of the Galactic Podracing League's first Race of Champions. But before I do that, I just want to communicate the thanks of the judging team on allowing us the opportunity to decide these races. There definitely had been some tough calls, and we are appreciative for the relative lack of death threats and amazing display of trust the galaxy at large has shown to us. We hope to continue our role in the new Season, and will try to serve the community in the same professional manner we?ve hopefully accomplished.?

The man stopped to accept the applause of the crowds, echoing from rooftop to rooftop.

?And now, the results from the GPRL Race of Champions?.

Coming in last place, is the racer, [b]Trak Delson[/b]?

Coming in sixth place, [b]Lethrak?nom[/b]?

And now, for the real grit of the race. Putting up a valiant fight, yet faced against equally great opponents, coming in at fifth place, put your hands together for [b]Muurg Geafsit.[/b]?

The crowds applauded graciously, with his largely reptilian fan base screaming their hearts out?

?In fourth place,? the judge continued ?netting the special fourth place prize as well as the Jester?s Prize, Team Starhammer?s very own, [b]Chad.[/b] No doubt Team Starhammer will be getting a healthy addition of power and fortune from those proceedings.?

A veritable uproar of applause broke out for the hugely popular Team Star Hammer and its racers?.

?And now, for those who broke?.

In third place, showing a strong performance against the two very formidable opponents of Chad and Muurg, is everyone?s favorite rookie, [b]Izen[/b]. For coming in so late in the season, he certainly has served as a force in his own right. Bravo!?

A smaller bout of applause was heard for Izen, who had a smaller showing, due largely to his still new status. But that would definitely change after today?

?To the real royalty of the Podracing Circuit, coming in second, the now wild card, ex-New Republic racer, [b]Kavark.[/b] His strong showing here was certainly no surprise, and he certainly gave us quite a climactic battle for first place with his longtime rival.?

The applause was simply i

12. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    End of the ROC

As the judge's voice boomed over the spectacular audio systems of the ROC that Murrg had come in 5th, with Chad coming ahead in 4th, Murrg jokingly pointed out, "Looks like niether of us'll be sending anyone fruit baskets from the Winner's Circle. Give my regards to Kellerman." He reached out to shake the fellow racer's hand.

Tag: DVC

13. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    IC: Chad
    End of ROC

As the judge's voice boomed over the spectacular audio systems of the ROC that Murrg had come in 5th, with Chad coming ahead in 4th, Murrg jokingly pointed out, "Looks like niether of us'll be sending anyone fruit baskets from the Winner's Circle. Give my regards to Kellerman." He reached out to shake the fellow racer's hand.

Chad shook Muurg's hand, sqeeking towards Widowmaker, who was currently floating somewhere around his head.

"And give mine to Pops..." The droid translating, again adjusting his voice to closly match that of Chad's...a voice of guilt "That stuff I said on the track...You know I didn't mean it all right? I mean, I would have been nice if you'd said something about it...but I don't mind really. Just a trick...Nothing personal." Chad glanced back at the winners circle before continueing. He shook his head "What in the frag happened. He was behind us both then all of the sudden he wasn't. Bloody brilliant piloting...it was just too close to the end for me to worry about taking the lead back. I couldn't win first...I had hell staying in third. I'm just tired tonight. And I think, for the first time in a long time, I'm actually going to go to bed....After a few drinks ofcourse..."

Tag: Muurg

14. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Not the Winner's Circle :_|

"And give mine to Pops...That stuff I said on the track...You know I didn't mean it all right? I mean, I would have been nice if you'd said something about it...but I don't mind really. Just a trick...Nothing personal."

"I figured you didn't mean it too much, but damn if it didn't make me feel guilty."

"What in the frag happened. He was behind us both then all of the sudden he wasn't. Bloody brilliant piloting...it was just too close to the end for me to worry about taking the lead back. I couldn't win first...I had hell staying in third. I'm just tired tonight. And I think, for the first time in a long time, I'm actually going to go to bed....After a few drinks ofcourse..."

"Not the first time that nerf-herder has passed me without me knowing it," Murrg said, recalling Endor.

"Well, I'll probably be heading back to my hotel and counting Banthas too. Nice racing with you this season. I'll see you around," Murrg said, shaking Chad's hand and hopping into an air taxi bound for the hotel... but not before grabbing one more bottle of Uncle Tarpals' Gungan Grog, the drink he'd grown hooked on after the Ando Prime Race.

Tag: None (unless Chad's got anything else to say)

15. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Roll Credits!

This game is now closed to all incoming posts. They will not be considered / subject to GM's review for their inclusion in the Podracer Canon...

Discussion Starter Stuff will come tomorrow!

[b][color=#006600][u]*** Podracer: Life in the Fast Lane ***[/u][/color][/b]

[b]Directed By:[/b] Imperial_Hammer

[b]Written By:[/b] Imperial_Hammer & Board of Producers

[color=blue][u][b]Cast[/b][/u][/color]

[u]ROCers[/u]
    BartSimpson-SithLord: Letrak'nom
    Darth_Vaders_cousin: T'Kha "Chad" T'rak
    Jango10: Trak Delson
    DarthIntegral : Kavark Clan Baikh'vair
    SephyCloneNo15: Murrg Geafsit
    YoungAngus: Corbin Antilies
    EwokJedi: Izen

[u]Other Characters[/u]
    Sith-I-5: Detective Kellerman
    Sith-I-5: Flight Officer Cindy
    Sith-I-5: Edith
    Sith-I-5: Calriss 19
    Sith-I-5: Tina
    Rayson: Ityech Freousian
    Darth_Elu: His'nak Covan
    Evan_The_Great: Vanev Feque
    phantom_panther: Diran Hituy
    DarthIntegral : TC-31
    YoungAngus: Geb Era
    Uber-Ed: Cale Krest
    DARTH-bojangles: Hondo Coles
    goblin_fire: Valma Tebon
    SephyCloneNo15: Pops Geafsit
    SephyCloneNo15: Geri "Rusty" Galdin
    Trimaj: Deimos Odai
    Gredon_Kandeer: Trig Dakari
    Twinky_Stryder: Dia Lannelo

[u][b]Minor Characters[/b][/u]
    [u]Racers [/u]
    Space_Chicken: Jenia Secunda
    Zelda_Skywalker: Zelda Skywalker
    BENSKYWAKER: Rousknic
    DarkSithDrew: Lygar Zax
    Tyi-Maet_Nefer: Sebla
    benkenobi151: Ben Kenobi
    MASTERPRENN: Thorr Prenn
    Darklighter24: Cirrus Bori
    Mandeillord: Wes Mundo

[u]Player Support[/u]
    SephyCloneNo15: Gedrick L'thiam
    SephyCloneNo15: Misquez
    SephyCloneNo15: Sli the Mechanic
    SephyCloneNo15: Devron Si-Jia
    SephyCloneNo15: Ssi Ruuvi Errand Boy
    SephyCloneNo15: Fan
    SephyCloneNo15: Ssi-Ruuvi Technican
    Sith-I-5: Danson the Bartender
    Sith-I-5: Travis
    Sith-I-5: Squad Three / Water Rats
    Sith-I-5: Life Guard One
    Sith-I-5: Chief Bates
    Sith-I-5: Han Solo
    Uber-Ed: Pam
    Uber-Ed: Kalnar Omana
    Uber-Ed: Slen Gre'len
    Uber-Ed: Linc Telen
    Young_Angus: Grado
    Young_Angus: Reeko
    phantom_panther: Flotan Hituy
    phantom_panther: Yinah
    DARTH-bojangles: Tweek
    DARTH-bojangles: Vorga the Hutt
    Darth_Vaders_cousin: James E. Jones
    BartSimpson-SithLord: Roy Bidan
    Darklighter24: Erof
    Jango10: Kera
    Evan_The_Great: Q7
    ZABRAKMALE: soruka mals
    Livi-Wan: Traqen Kel
    DarthIntegral: Rohssha
    Gredon_Kandeer: Gann

[u][b]GM's Characters[/b][/u]
    [u] Guest Stars [/u]
    Commissioner Ernest Slydell
    Cal Omas
    Ody Mandrell

[u]Holonet News Associates [/u]
    Hso Trija: Holonet News Correspondent
    Itrik: Holonet News Correspondent
    Pir Hesorodia: Holonet News Anchor
    Vano Tortek: Editor of Podracing Illustrated
    Weqio Pytrari: Holonet News Correspondent
    Oleg Tortikoff: Head of Galactic Holonet Network
    Sis Ott: Holonet News Reporter

[u]GPRL[/u]
    Racing Officials Numbers One, Two, and Three
    The Mon Gazza Pit Crew
    GPRL Racing Officials
    GPRL Certified Pod Technicians
    Doha Jusari: Village Manager
    Me'laya and Stern: Malastare Registering Officials
    The GPRL Wookie Mechanic (Wirlynn)
    Assorted GPRL Medical Staff
    Overwhelmed GRPL Employee
    Clive the GPRL Payroll Officer
    GPRL Pit Boss
    Attendant

[u]Mechanics and Shopowners [/u]
    Arnie the Torp
    Podracing Unlimited Representative / Manager
    Miscellaneous Pod Shop Owner
    Mon Calamari Shop Owner
    A Quarren Shop Owner
    Bob the Mechanic
    Werth the Technician
    Gamorean Shopowner
    Not an Ewok Mechanic (Conduga)
    Greqa (Espa Choppers)
    Automated Pod-Shop Droid

[u]Ssi-Ruuvi[/u]
    Yellow Scaled Ssi-Ruuvi
    Sheierk G'rana
    Token Ssi-Ruuvi Authority Representative
    Ssi-Ruuvi Mechanic
    Ssi-Ruuvi Operator
    Grand Elder Rakeclaw

[u]Sponsorship Crew[/u]
    Berti: Salliche Ag Rep.
    New Republic Officials
    Kavark's Lawyer
    Doheny, Orkham, Zosa: New Republic Agents
    Imperial Marketing Officials

[u]Others[/u]
    Jesin Tate: Fan
    Hotel Desk Clerk
    Whitecap City Police Department Officers
    Ticketbot
    Jerry the Bartender
    Flight Stewardess
    Repulsorlift Operator
    Waitress Droid
    Fate
    Chief Ewok: Obobo
    Kuati Butler
    Information Desk Attendant

[b][u]Produced By[/u][/b]

16. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    [face_laugh] =D= Brilliant!

17. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    You finally spelled "Murrg" right! =D= [face_dancing]

18. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Congrats on a really great game, guys. =D=

19. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Haha...

Glad you enjoyed... :)

It was quite a chore scanning the game for all those characters, but the end result was so worth it....

Now, to enter the final stage of this thread, the Game Review and Podracer II forcast...

I want to hear two things from you guys....

I. Thoughts on this game we just finished and ways to improve it

and

II. Thoughts on this preview I'll be posting right now...

The point of this part is important enough. Its my hope to make my games better, and the best way to do that is to through feedback..

So heres your chance to have a hand in the creation of Podracer II....

So, without further adieu, the preview:

[u][b][color=#006600]***Special Veterans Podracer II Preview***[/color][/b][/u]

[b][u]*Changes between Podracer: Life in the Fast Lane and Podracer II: Need for Speed*[/u][/b]

[b][color=#dd0000]-Sponsorships:[/color][/b] Sponsorships in this game seemed to got shoved to the wayside. In my initial conception, I was looking to have the politics and economics behind racing sort of playing a bigger role. But with no real advantage to being sponsored, many people sort of went their own way, racing as independents. If I compare that to, oh, like, NASCAR, its not close to RL. In Podracer II, I plan to attach concrete advantages to being sponsored. What exactly, I haven't decided yet, but they will have a special heads up.

[b][color=#dd0000]-PUP Phase-Out:[/color][/b] So yes, this will arguably be the largest change between the two games. Having these PUPs floating around just got hectic, keeping track of them, players having to go into shops to purchase things, etc. etc. So my idea is to keep track of Pod Improvements through a generic and much simpler "Pod Level" system. It would be Levels 0- whatever, probably 9 or 10. Every race you place, you get a Pod Level upgrade, second can maybe be like 50% of an upgrade, and third, 33%. Players can still dabble around in parts if they like, but in the end, things will be much easier to decide, if, two equally good players are posting, one with a Level 1 Pod and the other with a level 4.

[b][color=#dd0000]-Rankings and Placement:[/color][/b] The only real elaborated complaint given to me in this game was that players that never posted a race post, but registered, were allowed to place in races. This will change. In race, placement will still be done by the old system, with Post Numbers in relation to the PML being the sole decider. But there will be a split between those who raced and those who did not. Even if a crash occured (which this game still will appreciate and reward), the racer will not place lower than those who did not race at all. The no shows will be branded as such and not get credits or rewards. One post in race will be all thats needed to remedy that though.

[b][color=#dd0000]-Race Types:[/color][/b] Judging the relative non-failure of the new type of game in the ROC, I'll probably bring it back within the season. This is not to say the old ways will not be around. Rather, as the races go on, some will be branded a normal race, and others a timed race. Its my hope this will give the season some variety.

[b][color=#dd0000]-Player Types:[/color][/b] I still haven't given up on my fascination on supporting characters! For the next game, the gambler type will return again, as will hopefully the gambling system. This will be contingent on player interest in having it around. If folks want to gamble, I'll probably require a tag to a bookie or something. Also, drawing from Goblin_Fire's Valma Tebon, there will also be a seperate sheet for reporters, in which the players of said role will be granted the ability to affect fame and popularity.

[b][color=#dd0000]-Conversion:[/color][/b] And in case you're wondering, these are the factors that will be carried over for you for this game: Fame and Credits. Anything related to your pods I'm afraid will not be accepted in the next season. Credits from this game will still be around, but c

20. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Don't know how I feel about the whole pod-levels detail. I don't think PUPs need to be completely phased out, so much as this information simply needs to be better kept track of. I was always impressed by those players who never bought a damn thing and had kept perfect track of their winnings, because I never knew wt* I had from race-to-race.

My main complaint against your pod-levels idea is that the shopkeeps were some of the best off-the-track interactions. Another complaint is your usage of percents. It's all over the GDG competitions, from my original idea for Pantheon to Winged's Lion King...SW style that percents are bigger GM headaches than they're worth. Perhaps if you bumped it up to a 20 or 15 level, and then got 3 levels for 1st, 2 for 2nd, and 1 for 3rd. And, am I interpreting it correctly that you can level up one of the statistic categories (top speed, acceleration etc.) with each level you get?

21. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Interesting.

On Shopkeepers: You really think they were good off-the-track interactions? I personally felt they were a bit repetitive. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about it

On Percents: Excellent Idea. Moving it to a more macro-scale works for me.

On Statistics Categories: Actually, I was thinking about taking those out all together. As in, all your categories improve with each level. It takes out the aspects of Pod Specialization, but in my eyes, makes the game more streamlined and smooth. Was specialization in each category that much of a catch for players that they would like to keep it around?

22. SephyCloneNo15

Apr 9, 2005
    Any off-the-track interaction was pretty good. And I definitely prefer being able to have a specialized pod to suit my character. Actual technical uniqueness is just as important as personalizing the way you write about your pod (from how its controls function, tot he very makeup of the cockpit itself). However, I kinda feel that most of the categories with the exception of speed and cooling (and occasionally braking and accelerating) were for the most part, ignored, so it's kinda take-or-leave.

23. YoungAngus

May 7, 2005
    I think one problem was that upgrades were never really kept track of. Did upgrades purchased with PUPs really have that much of an influence in the game? I think a character who spent 15K on equipment and one who didn't spend anything still have equal chance of winning making it kind of pointless to purchase upgrades. This is why I like IMP's new point system idea.

Also, there should be more to do with credits. What? I Don't know. But I got a crapload and if they're carrying over I need to spend them on something, hopefully it won't end up being charity.

24. ewok_jedi

Nov 5, 2005
    Okay so I have an odd question about this and the reporters/new media in Podracer II. I did not really see much in the way of reporters around or actual characters while I was active in the races other than stating that they were there. In podracer II might it be possible instead of just giving a listing of standings having an annoucer declaring each race or something? Maybe like track side reporters and photogs to give updates on the race or something?

I think it would be fun to add a more visible media coverage to next season

EDIT: Oh yes and what about instead of having new shopkeepers or such on every planet have the same crew travel to each race as if they were the Official parts dealer for the GPRL and assorted adjunct matenance crew?

25. Imperial_Hammer

Sep 25, 2004
    Sephy & Angus on Upgrades: Exactly. I ran the old game, under covers, in the way I'm proposing now. I did assume that they were automatically used, because yes, folks didn't keep track of them and their influence was minimal. The new system will bring the actual rules in line to my actual evaluation. But Sephy's concern then stands. Do you see the absence of interaction with shopkeepers a major problem?

Angus on Credits: Credits are designed as a medium of influence in the game. When Trak sabotaged Kavark, he did it through use of credits. Thats how I planned credits to be used. If it pleases the users at large, I can offer a very steep exchange rate 1/2 way though Podracer II. But they really can be used, you just have to be creative about it.

Ewok on Reporters:
    I'm a bit confused by your post. We had the holonet news and announcers for each race. What more exactly are you wanting, and most importantly, why? What would be gained in the game by tweeking my announcement format to have it more, mediaish? Is it just fun? Bear in mind as well that your example, unless spearheaded by a player, would mean more work on the G.

Ewok on Shopkeepers: Possible. For the old game, it was to allow for player choice. I think the issue of if we want specific parts or not should be decided before how it will be done is chosen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.