main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poe Dameron/Oscar Isaac Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    So, how do you guys think Poe feels about the Force? In the comics, he seems to like it and accept it, but in TROS it seems like he doesn't understand it.

2. ScorpioGirl

ScorpioGirl Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    So, how do you guys think Shara Bey (Poe's mom) died? All we know is that she died in space alone. Now, I know that Disney just didn't think of a cause of death and they probably don't want to or don't care, but it's still fun to speculate!

I think it's either:

1. She flew out in space and ran out of fuel and her comms were down so she died of starvation/suffocation
    2. She had a severe case of bloodburn (space cancer, basically), and she wanted one last adventure, so she flew out in space, but died before she could return home.
    3. Poe got kidnapped by the FO (or pirates), Shara followed them out into space. She saved Poe, but was unable to save herself.

What do you guys think?

3. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
  4. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I think it's exactly as you described it. He likes and accepts the force, even if he doesn't understand it. Understanding and liking something are not mutually exclusive. In other words, you don't have to understand something to like it. I don't understand women, but I still like them.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  5. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I think Poe on his own is kind of an interesting character, at least by TLJ/TROS, seeing how a pilot deals with the burden of becoming a general, specifically the leader of the tiny rebellion fighting for the fate of the galaxy.

But at the same time, it does feel like they just felt the need to develop him because of this adherence to the trio mold, cohesion/flow of the story (specifically TFA) be damned. And yet the story never had them all together (till TROS), building the friendship that factors in to the main character’s choice at the end with the Emperor, so what was the point of the trio mold.

I also think there was a big missed opportunity not telling a deeper story about the Resistance/Stormtrooper dynamic between him and Finn, their contrasting views on war, etc. Their over-the-top bromance in TFA could have been more forgiven if it was used to set up a tragic rift between the two later on.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Master_Lok, Lulu Mars and rocknroll41 like this.
  6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I definitely agree with that. In TFA, Poe didn't serve much of a purpose after the opening act, but given the bromance, they had a golden opportunity to use him as a tool in Finn's continuing trilogy arc. A tragic rift that leads to discord within the Resistance itself but is ultimately mended by, for instance, a noble self-sacrifice in the final film (it could be Poe giving his life to save Finn and others) could've been incredibly meaningful.
    I'm basically thinking a fully developed take on the "Don't destroy what you hate, save what you love" theme - one that has actual ramifications in the story, especially in regards to Finn and how the war ends.

7. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Poe at times seems abit like Han Solo. and once they realised Poe had that vibe to him, they probably felt he was too good to kill off.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  8. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Possibly, yeah. All the more reason to kill him off, from my perspective!

ScorpioGirl and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  9. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    I don't think keeping Poe alive was a bad idea at all. Charismatic and gifted actor who has an interesting dynamic with the leads? Keep him around! The problem came when they decided he needed a big huge character arc, especially given that he had to go through a personality transplant for it to happen. IMO, as far as placement in the story goes, Poe was really the Leia of the ST. Leia had a wonderful story in the OT and showed a lot of growth, but she didn't go through some kind of transformative arc. She remained pretty consistent, and was really an anchor to the story. Poe should have been used in service to Finn's and possibly eventually Rey's journey. It's not the character of Poe that was the problem, it was the writer's.

10. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Finn taking Poe’s jacket should have had more meaning, specifically when he decides to run from the fight in TFA. A shameful reminder of his cowardice. Finn being told to keep it by Poe should have happened at the end of film, symbolic of Finn having earned it.

And Poe should have been the pilot to fly Finn into Starkiller base. Han could have died earlier on Maz’s planet.

Poe and Finn should have been together during TLJ, like Han/Leia in ESB, where we see their friendship really develop. Rose could have been Poe, and just axe the Holdo mutiny story.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Watcherwithin likes this.
  11. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    Yes, there's this misconception in writing that every protagonist-esque character in a story needs to undergo a character arc and that is simply not true. A static character is not necessarily a bad character.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  12. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    Poe should have never disappeared in the first place. He could have helped Rey pilot the Falcon while Finn shot down the FO fighters. I would have liked to see banter between Poe and Han Solo since they're similar characters.

I disagree that Han should have died earlier though. Him dying at the end was fine and cemented the new generation of heroes picking up where the older heroes left off.

Jedi_Fenrir767 likes this.
  13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Some good ideas here, understand the criticisms too. I like Poe, more in my rewatches. I just wish the filmmakers liked him and Finn and thought about storylines more. Less reliance on the OT, more unique ideas.

Watcherwithin and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    The problem was that, in TFA, they didn't so they laughably resorted to having Finn (the traumatized child soldier) be the one to deliver the quippy one-liners while traipsing around with Rey. Honestly, him and Finn would have worked better as foils if Finn acted more like he should have and Poe accompanied him throughout the whole film.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  15. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    Yet another complaint I have with TROS is how that poignant little message was completely ignored.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  16. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Presumbaly the idea early on was that Finn was gonna take Poe's place after Poe dies in the crash. probably filling in the spot that no longer has Poe in the resistance. which is why he takes the jacket. but since they decided to not kill Poe. that likely changed. Poe was still Poe, Finn was just Finn.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    TV note for Oscar Isaac fans in the UK with Sky TV - new series Scenes From a Marriage starts on Sky Atlantic Monday evening at 9PM. It's a remake of the Swedish miniseries and has Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain in the leading roles. Here's the official HBO website.

Master_Lok and JoJoPenelli like this.
  18. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Now this is a thread I’ve not seen in a long time!

19. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Its kinda Poe-ist if you ask me.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Isaac showed up on SNL two weeks ago in What's Up with That and I still think of him as Poe. He really needs BB-8 in any appearance or medium.

21. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    When I saw him in Dune I could just see him as Poe…

22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I still see King John from Ridley Scott's otherwise underwhelming Robin Hood; Isaac was a revelation in what any other actor would have found a dragging role to execute.

I'd pay good money to see that John played by Isaac in a Baron's War movie.

Master_Lok likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I’d seen Isaac in a lot of things prior to him being Poe, and so I don’t have that problem. In fact, his Poe has never really stuck with me.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The beard helped a bit in Dune for me to not think of Poe, also he was playing a more mature paternal figure, and I'm sure him being Moon Knight and kicking ass all over the place will be neat as well. I'm considering watching The Card Counter even though by all accounts it's not exactly great but, hey, more Isacc!

But yah now that he was on SNL for What's Up with That I want him to host now haha

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  25. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    It's hard to carry that line through when even TLJ has someone say it under the most contradictory circumstances possible. You can't "save what you love" when they're getting atomized by a death laser right behind you.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021