main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poe Dameron & Rey and their dynamic moving forward in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 15, 2017.

1. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017

There's another detail.
    The first force-skype-call happens in the scene that immidiatly follows that of Finn giving the beacon to Poe.
    Later on in the movie, Rey tells Kylo that she has seen his future, but Snoke informes us that he's been messing with their connection.
    It could be interesting if somehow the "visions" have been messed up...
    Twisted or switched somehow.

I don't know how to say it better, but I think you may get what I'm talking about...

In addition, I always believed that there's something "weird" in TFA too.
    Because sure, they don't share a word, but there are too much lines and shoots that mirror one another.
    And any time that happens, there's a specific use of the light, too specific perhaps to be random.
    It could be that the ying/yang theme has been used on two levels: between Rey and Kylo, but to me it has been even more hinted with Rey and Poe.
    And it may make sense... because is not that in the Ying/Yang are one the Good the other the Evil... So it's possible that at least in that movie they've played (somehow misleanding) with that.

That said

1- I think that specultaing is pointless. Not only in regards of this issue, but in general. Because the main takeaway of TLJ, to me is that they can do whatever they want in every movie.

But let's say this is going to be a thing in IX...

1- on one hand I'd like it. On the other, I cannot help but think how late in the trilogy it would come.

2- it could be whatever. It doesn't have to be a romance. It may be, that they are the legacy not by blood
    of Luke/the Jedi and Leia/theRebellion-Resistance.

2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    He's been thrust into the main leader of the rebellion/resistance.

She's been thrust into being the last Jedi Master.

They half to align their agendas to defeat the FO

Gambit00 and BalanceOfTheForce like this.
  3. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    He's been thrust into the main leader of the rebellion/resistance.

She's been thrust into being the last Jedi Master.

They half to align their agendas to defeat the FO

4. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    While I do think we'll see some basic growth and development between Rey and Poe in IX, I don't think it will be romantic. Their paths are a bit different- Rey needs to confront Ben/Kylo again, while Poe will presumably be dealing with the duties of succeeding Leia as the head of the Resistance.

I'll say this, if Poe and Rey were to ever hook up romantically, it'd probably happen in a comic or book set some time after Episode IX.

5. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Yeah, I see any development in there relationship (in whatever manner the basis of it is) to occur in between films and in a comic/novel etc. That doesn't mean it needs to be romantic although, I personally wouldn't be against that; as we already have precedent in that Han and Leia relationship developed off screen between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.

I just want to really see how these two take there new responsibilites and how those arcs interwine moving forward what occurs within that narrative is up to how it serves the story and the characters but I look forward to it.

6. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    That would be an interesting thing. I mean if Ben has been seeing some of Poe's life, to a point. Or maybe Rey's been seeing Poe's future. Could be an interesting twist on things.

Well in regard to the time period, it was set up, until it had to be removed for time or the Force Back, that they had already met. But even with that...given that BB 8 has the holographic capabilities, it's not hard to believe that the little droid showed him video of his time with Rey and her care of him and their time together. Also you have Finn, and given their friendship Poe would probably trust his opinion of her. Then there's Leia and I'm sure he talked to her about Rey at some point. So while it's late, it's not that far off in time, since it's been weeks or months. Plus you'll have in between time now between 8 and 9 to build with other means, comics, books, etc.

2. I don't think they can do whatever in the movies. There still seems to be a set of rules set into motion. In a lot of ways Ep.VIII mirrors ESB and ROTJ, in a lot of ways. Also the Writers room still has to keep things in cannon and balance, and let's not forget that lucus was writing on the seat of his pants for the original Trilogy. He changed a LOT when he was writing it, so the whole it's pointless to speculate doesn't quiet ring true...I mean people speculated before, they will speculate after. :)

2b. It could be that they don't end up together, true enough. Hell she could be Poe's sister for all we know since his Mom went missing. But there was a reason why they chose the words they did for the space jewelry, that the ring he has is his mother's wedding ring and he wants to give it to the right partner. Not only that, but they chose to have him holding that beacon throughout the movie, even in the time when Rey was with Snoke. There's a reason it's not with Finn at that point, and why Leia didn't take it back on the ship. Poe even looks at it when he's shook awake.

I'm still betting that a romance maybe being built.

panki likes this.
  7. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Clearly the scene where they meet was meant to foreshadow a possible relationship. They will be working together closely in the coming struggle. I predict a relationship or at the very least romantic tension. I predict a kiss between them in Ep 9. Now if this kiss is witnessed by Finn, we could have a "soap opera" on our hands, :p

panki, Darkspellmaster and Ben-Solo like this.
  8. Jazz9276

Jazz9276 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 19, 2016
    The more I think about it the more I’m in favor. I hated that the meeting between them in TFA was cut but the weaving throughout TLJ really works.

I hate using the term nobody but Rey inheriting the Skywalker legacy from Luke not because she’s entitled but because she’s worthy and Poe inheriting the Organa/Solo legacy from Leia not because he’s entitled but because he’s worthy is really powerful. The two falling in love and not only carrying on what was passed to them but forging new ways is something I’d love to see. Yes, this works without them falling in love too. If they didn’t want us to entertain the idea, at least, there was no need to have two charged meetings between them. Certainly no need to use the iconic I know between them.

Not sure how it’ll play out in 9 but I’d buy every book to read about it for sure.

9. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    It could be built I completely agree, it will if that occurs need exposition established outside of the next film, surely; in comics possibly but hopefully in a novel of some sort of the fleeting adventures between the First Order and Resistance in between the events of VIII and IX. BB-8 is certainly one of many starting points for a developed backstory between Rey and Poe. (whatever type of relationship they build, because there will be one romantic, plantonic, strategatic etc) Then they could also use Finn, Leia, the common interest of defeating the First Order or how they both lost there parents early in life (in Poe's case Shara Bey & Kes Dameron)

I think there dynamic is the easiest to develop for IX except for the obvious Finn and Rose relationship the real question is does Lucasfilm want two romantic storylines in IX because Finn/Rose is one. I believe Rey and Poe thouh will be a relationship which will be the relationship that turns the tide in IX for the Resistance.

panki likes this.
  10. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    As said at least I see them as the unraleted Skywalker heirs.
    And as said I think there are even in TFA some details that
    in retrospect may be seen as hint of whatever is going to
    happen in IX.
    If it will be more that, a romance, I'm absolutely fine with that.
    And I also think that -beside Poe's ring - having introduced Rose/Finn romance may be
    another hint. You do that so you let Finn already fine with Rey's choices.
    But if so... I just hope it will be compelling.
    It's not Impossible. But hard.

11. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Im all for it if it was began in Ep7.
    Btw should i read this answer and her tone between the lines? (skip to 4:34 for an answer).

I wonder did her answer echo with her movie character's preference.

panki likes this.
  12. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Poe and Rey FINALLY meet. That was nice.

Suffice to say Poe will lead the rebellion after Leia is gone and will probably lead the new Republic (or whatever) by the end of IX. Hence the lessons his mentor, Leia, taught him.

Doom_Buggy likes this.
  13. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    It seems inorganic to keep matching up Rey with another male for the majority of her adventure for a third time which is what would have to happen for Rey and Poe to develop a romance with each other. I think they waited too long to get to it.

ReyKenobi likes this.
  14. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    My guess? After the Resistance loses Rey and Poe hook up and become junker losers who have a kid that they sell off for drinking money.

15. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    I can easily see a kiss given the reaction between the two. They're both very shy and compared to how he introduced himself to Rey as just "Poe" vs. how he did so to Holdo, it shows he's come down off his high horse and realizes that she's someone that won't need any fancy introductions. Also yeah, I can see a struggle and them coming together trough it.

It would be if it's true. And showing that that connection there is important. You don't use the I Know without a reason. I would too, and I'm pretty sure they would play that out in the comics for Poe as well.

And come on now, Star Wars is a Space Opera. The same epic ideas that plot out Soap Operas work in this situation. Adventure and Romance come hand and hand.

16. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    I would so read that. Given that there's already been a few novels already, I would say it would go into the YA section due to the nature of that story that would have to be told here. Well we do have Poe's comic so maybe seeing him starting to think about her. Finn would back him up on this because he's someone Finn trusts and sees as a friend, so I could see him giving Rey or Poe the okay to go with this. And given that Leia won't be there, I can see the two bonding over her loss.

Yup they do share that fact and Poe can help her deal with the family issues she's having. And he understands the force better as he grew up around the Force tree.

Which details are you thinking of? The few I can is her relationship with BB8 and how they both treat Finn. Being attacked by Ben, and probably both knowing him in some form since Poe's family was close to Leia.

Well it could easily be compelling if you use it as a parallel to what Ben is going through. It could also play out as a means for Rey to see that there is someone that needs her, not for her power or to rule but to be with just her.

I mean, heck, this could be the whole "unusual romance" that RJ was actually talking about more then with Ben and Rey.

panki and Ben-Solo like this.
  17. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015

They took a while with Han and Leia and didn't fully connect them until the end of ESB and ROTJ as a means of really solidifying it, since, Han thought that Leia was in love with Luke. They really built up that romance more over the books then in the movies. The only reason it worked so well was because of Carrie and Harrison's chemistry, and I think that Oscar and Daisy can sell it too. They are both great actors.

No I don't think they will be a pair of Junkers.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  18. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    Yeah and I mean Finn and Rose went from a first meeting to a kiss in the span of one movie. And with Rey and Poe we'll have the benefit of establishing that they've been getting to know each other off screen by the time we catch up to them in 9. And we already know who the two characters are, we love them both, and have a plethora of reasons why they'd be suited to each other as romantic partners. It would be child's play for JJ and Terrio to start off episode 9 showing that they've become great friends and partners, and then teasing that there's deeper feelings there. That's how I'd do it, at least. Establish they've become close but haven't acted on it yet, and then build up tension until a dramatic moment someone confesses feelings/kisses.

I really love the idea of them leaning into the theme of Poe and Rey both being the unrelated inheritors of the OT heroes' legacies. It'd even be interesting if those two talk about it.

Jazz9276 and MattOrgana like this.
  19. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Poe can have chemistry with a lamppost. He's just that charismatic. I wouldn't read anything into this introduction other than rey, while a nobody, has an enormous reputation that proceeds her. She doesn't stop to think others would know who she was. She has spent her life being anonymous.

ReyKenobi, Yora and Ben-Solo like this.
  20. Darkspellmaster

Dec 20, 2015
    I don't quiet buy that. Poe can have chemistry with anyone, but I don't think they would have put that moment back in if there wasn't something to build upon. Yes she has a reputation now, but of all the characters, why Poe? You could have had it been any of the other members that remain, but no, you have Poe being star struck there and being a dork about an introduction. Mr. Quips has none, and that's significant.

21. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    If they want to take the route of exploring a romantic relationship between Rey and Poe, they can always use the Poe comics which are confirmed to be continuing even after March, going beyond the story arc where Poe locates Lor San Tekka and the events of TFA begin.

So we might learn more about how the resistance re-groups, finds new allies and maybe Rey even completes her jedi training. Somewhere in the middle of this, if time and the story permits, they can always explore the nature of their relationship, whether friends, jedi and military leader or something more.

In the 2 player SW Destiny card game website, there is an interesting note about them:

Keeping a shield on Rey is essential to using her to a full potential, and Poe Dameron, More Than A Pilot (Two-Player Game, 25) is the perfect character to ensure she remains well-shielded. This version of Poe costs eleven points for a normal version and fifteen for an elite. His die features two ranged damage sides, a focus side, a resource, and a special symbol. This symbol allows you to give a character one shield, and turn another die to any side. This can be used to turn your own die to the perfect side, or an opponent’s die to a side of little use. This versatility is nearly unmatched anywhere else in Destiny!

I think it definitely foreshadows them working together as a powerful team which should make for some great adventures.

Jazz9276 and Ben-Solo like this.
  22. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    ScreenRant just posted this article about Poe Dameron & Rey

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-9-rey-poe-relationship/

While it’s possible that their scene on the Millennium Falcon may feel weighty just because it’s the first meeting between two members of the newest Star Wars trio, it’s also likely that this exchange is meant to set up a relationship that will be more developed in. Finn, Rey, and Poe are three key members of the Resistance, so it makes sense for the dynamics between them to be further explored in. With Finn otherwise romantically entangled, after The Last Jedi, Rey and Poe seem to be the most likely candidates if Star Wars is aiming to establish a romance among the main trio.

Now as they mention this could canonial be considered their first meeting but if you read the "Force Awakens" novelization you would know they had already met once before.

(Rey and Poe were not excluded, though there sudden, tight clinch of shared excitement led to a mutual moment of awkwardness)

"Uh, hi" the pilot mumbled. I'm Poe"

(She nodded slowly, searching his face and finding that she liked it)

"I recognize the name, so your Poe.Poe Dameron, the X - Wing pilot. I'm Rey"

DARTHSHAME and panki like this.
  23. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Poe is Leia's successor. Rey is Luke's successor.

Elsewhere Kylo pouts.

24. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017

It's like Poe-t-Rey, it rhymes.

Harbour likes this.
  25. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Hypothetically if their future dynamic is romantic, they could end up settling after the war on his family ranch on Yavin IV and she could re-establish the jedi order there since the second force tree planted by Shara Bey is there as well in the shade of the ancient Massasi temples.

mlsw, Darth Nave, blu and 1 other person like this.
  26. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    Thus Rey comes full circle. It's like poetry.

The Regular Mustache likes this.