main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poe Dameron & Rey and their dynamic moving forward in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Darkspellmaster

Darkspellmaster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I'd love to see this idea happen. I can just see her actually nudging Rey in the direction of Poe and Poe being very awkward about it all. Not to mention that BB8 would be helping on that front too. I tend to think in some way if they go along with this one it would very much be like George's first idea for Luke and Leia to be an item. Only in this case it's Rey and Poe.

Ben solo is either going to turn out to be her brother, her cousin or some other relation. There's just way to many nods in both movies.

panki likes this.
  2. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Speaking of books and comics, Poe is always shown as being busy traveling from mission to mission for the resistance, not really having much time to think of much else....but then his squad members Snap and Kare fall in love and get married (with his help) and even his best buddy BB-8 finds time to find love.

[​IMG]

This is entirely my reading of disparate pieces but when I read Poe's realisation that his friends are no longer single, combined with him keeping his mother's wedding ring for the right person, it sounds like they are foreshadowing a romance for him.

He interacts with a lot of female characters across the movies, books and comics such as Kare, Jess, Suralinda, Connix etc...while he is friendly with all of them, he never had the look of wonder and admiration that he had when he looked at Rey. This could always just be him being in awe of meeting a jedi but then again he has grown up around a force tree and meet other force users/ force worshipers and even mystical beings during his search for Lor San Tekka ..... he definitely didn't look at any of them in the same way as he looked at Rey.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  3. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    This questions arrise because the trilogy is a non planned mess. Up to this point nobody in lucasfilm knows if she is related to ben solo and finn and the new girl was a move drivem to appeal to asian markets and not for story purposes.

Why they did the poe dialogue and a hint? Because this suckers dont have a plan yet and want to keep options open

Better for her to follow the jedi way an remain single. Hope the books say she cant get married so we can be spared cringworthy scenes.

4. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    With Poe's look at Rey, I didn't see it so much as romantic feelings for Rey but more so kind of a fondness he'd developed for her since Finn spent the whole movie worried for her. Poe found him naked and leaking, a mess after waking up from his coma, yet Finn's first words were about Rey. He trusted Poe with the tracker and brought her back from Starkiller, getting himself into a coma as a result. I didn't realize it until they met in the film but Poe doesn't have much reason to want to meet her. Of course she's doing amazing things for the Resistance, but all the people in his life do that, but he doesn't greet people with that degree of fondness. So I don't think it was anything romantic for Rey when he greeted her, but rather he was finally meeting this person who's so important to Finn. It could be that she's a Force user, but it was a whole story going on in TLJ with Finn trusting Poe with Rey, both his worries for her and the tracker, so I think part of his fond look at the end of the movie involves Finn too. When he said "I know," I read it more as, "Finn can't shut about you" but in a fond way. She's important to Finn, therefore important to Poe, so he's anxious to meet her and really looking forward to it. Before TLJ, I would have said it'd be about her saving BB-8, but I think it's mainly about her being Finn's best friend.

In any case, I like how Poe doesn't seem like he's interested in Rey because she's a Force user. He's just genuinely interested in her and wants to get to know her.

5. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    I agree @CosmicDust ... I don't think his feelings are romantic when he meets her....he just has admiration for this person he has heard so much about and seen pull off something near impossible...but they have laid out the potential for this kind of story direction in the future... of course, they could just end up as good friends and team mates. I just find it interesting that there is no foreshadowing of romance for Poe in the TFA visual dictionary or his story arcs in the comics until just before TLJ.

6. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    People generally don't choose who they love based on admiration of their morality. They choose them based on irrational passion.

7. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    I agree that people don't choose who they should love based on morality, and they shouldn't.....conversely, irrational passion with little else would only work for the short term but rarely end well..... there needs to be more for a long term romance.

I don't think Poe is looking at Rey and thinking- here is a lady with nice morals, I should date her. :p

If Poe and Rey do get romantically involved (IF the writers even take that route) it will be because of a mix of physical attraction, great chemistry, flirty banter, mutual admiration, common interests, ideals and common friends/people they care about (Finn, BB-8 and Leia).

Darkspellmaster and Aetius888 like this.
  8. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    @panki I agree if Poe and Rey do end end up romantically involved, it will be done because not only because of admiration, mutual interests and mutual endeavors but also to serve the overall narrative which may be built before IX and the storyline in the film they want to have the audience see.

If Poe is only looking at her as an object than I would think then it may not be best to put them together, but I don’t get the feeling they’ll do that. They will use there relationship in a manner which best serves that story.

Darkspellmaster and Jazz9276 like this.
  9. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    True @Ben-Solo ... Story is supreme at the end of the day.. Fortunately nothing indicates Poe sees Rey as an object, but rather someone who will at least become a good friend...what I do hope they explore in the movies or even the comics is Rey getting to see the force tree on Poe's family ranch.

10. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Um. Sorry but rose wasn't cast to appeal to the "Asian" market. That character was to show that anyone could become that hero in the resistance.

I thought it was depressing that Luke (well as far as we know) didn't marry or have children and just shut himself out. I don't want Rey to stay celibate.

11. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    Emphasis on the irrational in this scenario I guess? With a dash of masochism. Bruh, people generally have to share values in order to have basic compatibility let alone be able to stand each other. When the foundation for the relationship was rooted in Rey's misplaced pity for him and she was miserable in every scene they shared, she's not gonna have some emotional handicap where she "can't let him go no matter how bad he is" or wtf ever.

12. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    Agreed. I think he sees her as his equal, equal in every aspect of the term, just like Han and Luke saw her has their equals; I think the "Force Tree" is another way to have them interact together, besides just as Resistance leaders. This subplot has so many different avenues it can explore, it's exciting and fasinating.

13. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    I want her to see the Force tree so bad! I have a headcanon that Poe is a little Force sensitive because of the tree. Poe abruptly waking up after Rey was in danger gives me some hope. :D

Darkspellmaster, Jazz9276 and panki like this.
  14. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
  15. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    @Ben-Solo ..... That is so strange [face_dunno]... I would have thought Rey and Poe would be considered more wanted than random pairings like say Maz and Codebreaker....I wonder if they actually did a poll to reach this conclusion or the writer is making his/her own wish list (I am inclined to think the latter)

@CosmicDust ..... me too! I want to learn more about the force tree especially since it is present in all kinds of important scenes like Yoda's visions, Ahsoka getting her silka bead braid and jedi padawans training under the original Coruscant tree. I also feel Poe is a force sensitive...a lot of things hint at this possibility (him noticing the shiny eyed crystal fox in TLJ and following it sort of confirmed it for me). I hope they explore it in episode 9 or at least in a book or comic.

Darkspellmaster and Ben-Solo like this.
  16. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    I got the impression from reading the article, it was purely opinion-based and has no real statistical data behind it; I thought it was interesting some of the pairing. (as an example the afore mentioned Maz & Codebreaker) that oneis just odd.

Darkspellmaster and mlsw like this.
  17. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    As I have gotten older, I really have more and more come to a "Hey, whatever floats your boat" viewpoint. That doesn't mean I don't have my own opinions. It also doesn't mean that I think every position, or outlook, is of equal truth or value. What it DOES mean is that, in the end, if you see things a certain way, or enjoy seeing things a certain way, knock yourself out.

That being said - personally, I don't understand the idea that if characters spend a couple of minutes together in a movie, they are destined for romance, or even lasting connection. I do "get" the implications of the economy of characters.... since movies only have X amount of time, they generally don't introduce characters for no reason or pad out running time with conversations or meetings that are of no importance. But, even so... Poe and Rey are together for what, a minute? To me,speculating about a meaningful link, especially a romantic one, is akin to those who insisted after AWAKENS that Poe and Finn clearly had a romantic interest in each other.

No offense, I just saw nothing on screen pointing to this.

Varouneire, nonesuch and Yora like this.
  18. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    @SHAD0W-JEDI ...totally appreciate your pov but sometimes it isn't about the amount of time people spend together that determines whether they are meant to be together romantically.... There are other factors that could foreshadow a romance including parallels between the characters or even things that could be interpreted as a connection, some of which has already been discussed in this thread...at the very least, the fact that those two people's brief meeting had an impact that it is actually being discussed as a romantic possibility by many people says a lot about the chemistry of the characters...can you just imagine how people will react if they get more screen time in the next movie?

To explain my argument about screen time, there is an old classic Hollywood movie called- the Story of three loves. One story deals with the 'red string of fate' revolving around a red ribbon given to a girl. Just to summarize, the girl thinks she likes one man and waits for him at a railway station but has her heart broken due to a misunderstanding. However she later meets a second guy who is the one actually destined for her just as the story is ending and they literally exchange only a couple of lines of dialogue. He tells her he was at the same railway station that day and saw her but did not get the chance to speak to her until they met a year later.

My point is that not all stories require the guy and girl to be in constant communication for it to make sense...a love story can be built up slowly. ..especially since this is a trilogy and we have one whole movie left.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    cappoe, Darkspellmaster, mlsw and 3 others like this.
  19. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    The general direction has been planned, the character arcs were not which is actually a good thing, it allows for creative freedom, maturing of character ideals and the development of complex backstories for those characters. As for the assertion that a studio only casts actors/and or actresses' to appaise a foreign market I find as shallow, condesending and a remarkable comment in this day and age.

This trilogy is not a planned mess, Poe Dameron is a pretty well established character based off his comic, two novels and now two films; because of these things we know a few things about Poe. He admired Leia Organa, his pilot skills are exceptational for someone without (as of now) force-sensitivity (see the force tree in "Shattered Empire" for reference) and his love for family is very evident with his actions and appearance, down to wearing his mothers wedding band around his neck.

As for Rey to have a journey you need to have a reason to watch, her story is about letting go of her family and building a new one through friends; along the way, discovering new things about herself and her new calling. Her friends are her family, as it seems Poe Dameron is considered one of them. They both seek the belongiong still, the both seek a family and "I know" that it's reference wasn't just placed in their exchange for no reason.

Darkspellmaster, panki and mlsw like this.
  20. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    I get the feeling that Yavin IV will be where we next see the Resistance; it was not destroyed in "A New Hope" it's still there and most likely functional in some capacity. It's the location of the last know force tree (on Poe Dameron's homstead) and Rey has the sacred texts what other place would work well then starting another training temple than there. It would be another way to connect Rey and Poe Dameron, and who knows maybe Poe's exceptional piloting ability isn't just heredity but also a result of the force tree; he did have to nurse it back to health after he damaged it building a speeder from pod racing engines in "Shattered Empire".

Darkspellmaster and panki like this.
  21. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Poe: "The First Order has us all surrounded and their military armada is even bigger than the Battle of Crait. Only a miracle like Luke Skywalker can save us now!!"

Rey: "Hold my beer........."

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  22. Aetius888

May 23, 2005
    What people have not figured out quite yet is that a Poe-Rey romance, for the purpose of maximizing drama, almost certainly would mean the continuation of Reylo on the other end. I would find it pretty unlikely that it would just be "Wow I'm just so in love with Poe!" compared to "torn between the good boy and the bad boy with the future of the galaxy in the balance!"

23. Aetius888

May 23, 2005
    Exactly. And I'm not saying that people don't take morality into account. But ultimately the spark is more necessary.

24. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    The ground work was definitely laid for multiple romantic possibilities- whether Rey and Kylo, Rey and Poe or even Rey and Finn (that big hug on Crait). But that being said, the hints for Rey and Poe having a spark were definitely there- his expression of awe, grin and enthusiastic nod, her big smile and biting her lip (her eyes even look him up and down before she smiles when he says - I'm Poe....which is in line with the TFA novelisation descrption of her studying his face and liking it).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017