main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Point of view the death of padme

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthfettus2015, Jul 27, 2020.

1. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    We are told two things in Rots. That vader killed Padme in his anger and that she died of a broken heart. Is it still the held wisdom that Lucas added those medical droid line to lighten the mood when originally he planned an outright murder /crime of passion but felt it too much for a kids film? The broken heart line years ago was always one of the most criticised... What do you think? Was the Emperor just lying? I think Anakin did kill her in my head Canon

2. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Well, ever since AOTC SW is no longer really for kids. And ROTS must definitely be pretty traumatic for younger kids. Padmé's death is one of the more harmless scenes. What about Anakin burning and in incredible pain? That would have given me nightmares if I were a kid. And all those dead Jedi in the temple, Anakin killing younglings, Anakin decapitating Dooku..... not really kid-friendly stuff.
    To be honest I never really liked it. In my head-canon it's more plausible that Sidious was somehow behind her death. I mean, what good would she have been to him alive. Anakin may have decided to stay with her after all, who knows? She may have been able to turn him back. Those confrontations on Mustafar with Padmé and Obi-Wan took place when Anakin was extremely angry. It's just slightly possible that he may have eventually calmed down and become more sensible. As we know from ROTJ the way to the dark side is NOT a one-way street, contrary to what Kenobi and Yoda thought.
    Well, that Force choke did knock her out for a few minutes, but did it really do any permanent damage? Emotionally yes, but not physically. So I wouldn't go as far as say he actually killed her. Just my opinion though.

devilinthedetails likes this.
  3. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    He as good as killed her. Obviously it was of Palps design but his jealousy and anger was the biggest factor imo. I wonder if Luke ever learned what truly happened to his mother?

4. SoUncivilized

SoUncivilized Jedi Padawan

Dec 5, 2019
    All of it seems to work together, for me. Anakin's rage and betrayal was part of the shock that overwhelms her, sapping her of the will to fight through the physical damage he caused. In his anger, he killed her, body and soul.

The more crucial aspect of that sequence, though, is that Vader takes his first breaths as Padme takes her last. She's gone now, and Anakin is only kept alive because of a machine. In the view of all but Padme (and, later, Luke), Anakin dies with her in that scene.

5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    First of all, the film never says she dies of "a broken heart." That is from George in the commentary and I think that can be taken metaphorically, not literally. The film leaves it pretty ambiguous to her death. The official diagnosis from the medical droids are "For reasons we can't explain, we're losing here. We don't know why. She has lost the will to live." They can't explain it because it's beyond their understanding.

I think the idea is that Anakin and Padme are so entwined, that their love ends up killing them, physically and metaphorically. AOTC foreshadows that with "love that will destroy us," but ROTS give us hints to that. Padme and Anakin sense each other from afar during the Padme's Ruminations scene, yet Padme isn't Force sensitive. And of course Anakin telling Palpatine, "Just help me save Padme's life. I can't live without her." And with her death, he fully embraces the dark side and his persona as Darth Vader.

Not to mention the cuts between her death and Vader's rebirth. Vader takes his first breath, she takes her last. However, because an extension of Padme lives (Luke), Vader will always have a little bit of Anakin in him.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Anakin was the one who broke her heart (which made her lose the will to live), so he did "kill" her in that sense. But if you're going by what Sidious tells Vader, then that's obviously a lie as the audience can verify by watching the movie. When Anakin gave into his anger and attacked her, he didn't kill her. She lived on to be medically checked and give birth to the twins.

The idea of death from a broken heart is a something present in many historical myths, arthurian legends and fantasy stories, of which Star Wars is based on. Never understood the criticism nor the point in denying what the movie establishes so explicitly.

devilinthedetails and oierem like this.
  7. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    I think the Force choke from Anakin overwhelmed her, that coupled with the birth made her lose the will to live.

I would have preferred it to go a slightly darker way though. She gives birth to Luke and Leia while Anakin's slaughtering children in the temple, and when she arrives on Mustafar hoping to turn him back to the light with news that he has two newborns waiting for him, she doesn't get to tell him because of Obi-Wan being there and him flipping out - outright killing her with the Force choke. There'd still be parallels there to play with - Anakin's children are born quite literally while he is killing children, and he outright kills her which solidifies the turn to the Dark Side.

8. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    'She has lost the will to live.' Still the worst line, across the entirety of the saga.

Padmé was about to have children...that only strengthens someone's will to live. To give that as a reason for her death is utterly insane. George making it seems like she chooses to die is just.....

However, I have no explanation for how I would have done things differently! You can't kill Padmé outright, on Mustafar, cause the twins would have died too. To have her give birth and then be killed by Vader, Sidious or anyone else, would have been equally difficult to portray; especially with the children needing to remain secret. It's a tough one!! [face_dunno]

9. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Yes, in the Geonosis arena scene Anakin himself admits that falling in love would destroy them. The problem is it has already happened, they were past the point of return. And to "decide" not to fall in love doesn't really make sense, since feelings aren't decisions. Nobody can do anything about their emotions, even Jedi. Sure, they didn't have to get married. But that wouldn't have changed what they felt.

10. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    You can deal someone a murderous blow but it can take a while to die. In my book Anakin killed her.. Was George's original idea I think but thought sith was dark enough

11. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Palpatine may have sensed that Padme was dead. Despite hating her, he knew her for a long time and may have been attuned to her. Alternatively, he could have sensed it due to his power.
    I don’t buy the theory that Palpatine killed Padme to save Vader.

It always bugged me that Padme died of a broken heart, considering how strong of a character she was throughout the trilogy (and later in The Clone Wars).
    However, she did need to give birth to the twins, and her death would have felt more out of place offscreen.

12. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I think being in labor and giving birth to twins, along with the emotional turmoil she was experiencing had taken a toll on Padme. I never could understand why many people refuse to consider the idea that a person's emotional state can affect his or her health.

13. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    I can't remember where I saw this in order to give credit, but suffice it to say, I liked it and am jealous I didn't think of it first. But I like the idea that the Emperor himself, as the epitome of evil -- a 'negative' -- negated the power of the living Force just as the balance had shifted decisively toward the dark side. In other words, Palpatine 'sucked' the life force out of Padme as Vader was being re-assembled in order to keep the latter alive.

Anakin had gravely injured Padme, but she was only unconscious. He hadn't killed her. That lie of Palpatine would further manipulate Vader, driving him to give up, to despair, and give himself over to the dark side completely. She hadn't lost the will to live; that was the conclusion of a medical droid lacking any other explanation.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  14. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    She was going to die during the child birth, he already has seen it in his vision. Force choke or not.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  15. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    The point of the whole thing was that his actions actually caused her death. She wouldn't have died if he didn't try to save her from death. That's the tragic part about it, by trying to prevent her death, he ended up causing it in the first place.

There is nothing about visions which suggest that they are definately true. That's what Yoda was talking about, you cannot know what the future might bring, as it changes constantly.

16. FightoftheForgotten

FightoftheForgotten Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2020
    I think I would have liked it more if Padme had lived through the movie and the implication been established that Obi-Wan taking one of her children (Luke) away is what put her on a downward spiral toward death. Would also explain how Leia sort of remembers her mother without the need of force shenanigans

17. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    Is it a bit like no Anakin can't all out kill her cos vader needs a bit of sympathy for his redemption in the same way that kylo kills Han cos he is being manipulated too.?
    Also does Grand Master Luke ever find out how is mother died? Does kylo know?

18. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I'm sorry, but I don't like it. I just don't. I'm getting tired of fans attempting to portray Palpatine as this all-powerful, all-knowing Force user, whose plan had went ahead without a hitch. I'm tired of fans trying to credit Palpatine for Padme or Shmi's deaths. He never had complete control over everything. He was not or has never been "the Force". And I get the feeling that so many fans want to portray him as this negative avatar of the Force. He was a powerful Force user. But he was never invincible or all powerful. It's like so many people don't want to admit that some of the negative incidents that happened to the protagonists were simply due to bad luck, the actions of others or consequences of their own actions and decisions.

I see Padme being pissed off if Obi-Wan had taken Luke away from her, without her permission. In fact, I don't see him getting away with that in the first place. I think Leia had unintentionally sensed Padme's feelings via the Force not long after her birth. Why is it so hard for many to consider this? After all, she was not only the daughter of a powerful Force user, but one herself

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    whostheBossk and Erkan12 like this.
  19. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    It is Palpatine who tells Vader that he killed Padme in his anger, and Palpatine isn't present when Padme dies. As far as Palpatine knows, Padme could still be alive. However, Palpatine has every incentive to tell Vader that Padme is dead because it removes any potential for divided loyalty in Vader because Vader no longer has to choose between serving Palpatine and protecting Padme. Padme is dead, so Vader can offer undivided, single allegiance to the Dark Side and Palpatine. Telling Vader that Padme is dead is a cruel tactic Palpatine has for cementing Vader's commitment to the Dark Side.

Attributing Padme's death to Vader's anger is another manner that Palpatine can further Vader's dedication to the Dark Side. When Vader learns that he killed Padme with his own anger, he will feel guilt and denial that will harden almost instantaneously into rage. We see that in the raw, howled, "NO!" that basically turns into a hurricane of destructive Force use by Vader. Arguably, that is the moment of Anakin's ultimate transformation into Vader. Not when he kneels and receives his new name from Palpatine. Not when he marches on the Jedi Temple and slaughters the younglings. Not when he Force-chokes Padme. Not when he battles Obi-Wan and is left shouting his hatred as a burning husk on Mustafar. All that is powerful, painful lead-up to this final moment of transformation when he thinks that he has nobody left in the world to love: when he is essentially alone with the Dark Side. Trapped by the Dark Side as much as by his black suit that is necessary for sustaining his life. It's vital, then, that Vader believe he is responsible for Padme's death.

Now, did Vader actually kill Padme with his anger? That is a fair question and one I think that is open to interpretation and could be argued either way. Medically, I don't think that he was actually responsible for ending her life. Spiritually, I do think that we could say that Vader's anger, hatred, and paranoia--Anakin she loved becoming completely twisted from the good but flawed man he was into a monster and agent of evil--was a large factor in her death. Therefore, I believe it is possible to argue that in a spiritual sense Vader did kill Padme, and that is part of the narrative reason why Vader is forced to take responsibility for the crime he has committed. He has to deal with the blame and the guilt of killing Padme, because on a spiritual level, that is for all intents and purposes, what he did.

I don't think the medical droid's diagnosis was meant to be humorous. It's a scene of Padme dying in childbirth. I don't think there was meant to be anything light-hearted in it. I've never seen or heard anyone laugh at that scene when I was watching the film with them. In fact, many people are damp-eyed by that point in the film, feeling the catharsis of seeing a tragedy play out rather than looking for any humor in it. The moment for humor has largely passed at that point. So, I think if anyone finds humor in the diagnosis of the medical droids it wasn't intended by Lucas, and speaking for myself, I never laugh during Padme's death in childbirth. I'm normally teary-eyed from everything that has gone down in ROTS by that point.

I agree with @Deliveranze that the medical droid doesn't actually claim that Padme is dying of a broken heart. The droid instead says that for reasons they can't explain, they are losing Padme, and speculates that Padme has lost the will to live.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Padme dying because she lost the will to live but medically that kind of thing can indeed happen, and Padme had experienced a lot of loss and trauma in a very short period of time. Her husband had turned to the Dark Side and become a slaughterer of children. The Republic that she had served had become an Empire. Her husband had just choked her. This on top of the strain of a forbidden marriage hidden for years, and a pregnancy that likewise had to be hidden. I understand why Anakin fell to the Dark Side under the pressure of the multi-faceted things he was wrestling with, and I understand how Padme might have lost the will to live (even for just a short period) and if that period came at the wrong time, she could die off it.

I've also noticed that Padme never really had a fear of dying. In both AOTC and ROTS, she tells Anakin that she is not afraid to die, and in TPM, she tells Palpatine that her fate will be the same as her people's when Palpatine warns her she risked death by returning to the Trade Federation controlled Naboo. Padme was not someone to be fazed by death, ultimately. Her principles and her ideals were more important to her than her life, so I think she could be someone who might lose the will to live if all her principles and ideals had been shattered in a very short time frame.

So, the older I get, the more compassion I do feel for Padme, even if my ideal version of ROTS would've been darker in the sense that I would've had Vader actually kill her, and I would've had her survive childbirth before Vader kills her and take the active step of splitting her twin children for their protection with her spending some time with Leia (so Leia can remember her) before dying at Vader's hands.

I guess what it boils down to for me is that I don't find Padme's death to have ruined her character even if I understand why others might feel that way and the biggest issue I really have with it is just that Leia is able to remember Padme after only a second or so of seeing her, which to me is one of the areas where the continuity between the PT and the OT isn't perfect. Still, I overlook the bumps in the continuity because the overall picture painted by the PT and the OT is a very meaningful one to me. Big picture, the PT and the OT come together to work for me despite some minor pieces of the puzzle fitting together imperfectly.

20. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    The lost the will to live thing tho is probably the worst SW line ever written which is a pity cos its pretty much perfect film for me apart from that, top three in my list.. Vader is responsible for Padmes Death I think is a good way of saying it

whostheBossk likes this.