main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Poker Face (Rian Johnson Case-of-the-Week Mystery Series, Peacock)

Discussion in 'Community' started by bstnsx704, Apr 14, 2022.

1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Original Announcement (March 16, 2021):

Natasha Lyonne To Star In Rian Johnson Mystery Series ‘Poker Face’ Picked Up By Peacock From MRC Television

https://deadline.com/2021/03/natash...poker-face-peacock-mrc-television-1234715689/

Subsequent Updates:

Nora and Lilla Zuckerman to serve as co-showrunners (August 10, 2021):
    https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/na...ock-series-poker-face-showrunners-1235038288/

Rian Johnson regular Joseph Gordon-Levitt joins (April 12, 2022):
    https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/joseph-gordon-levitt-natasha-lyonne-peacock-poker-face-1235231304/

Everything Everywhere All At Once's Stephanie Hsu joins (April 14, 2022):
    https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/na...ock-poker-face-cast-stephanie-hsu-1235232712/

And as per this Tweet, it seems as though production has already kicked off:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
    godisawesome likes this.
  2. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    That Star Wars trilogy is definitely dead then.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No, no, no -- don't you see, there's going to be an amazing announcement at Celebration in a month!

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-celebration-anaheim-2022-filmmakers-special-guests

It's, uh... "... the many Star Wars adventures coming soon, including Obi-Wan Kenobi, Andor, and The Mandalorian." That's totally not all of them, guys! :p

TX-20 likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Star Wars trilogy that he's making will be hidden inside the mystery show.

SuperWatto likes this.
  5. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
  6. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
  7. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  8. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
  9. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Rian always gets awesome actors to be in his projects. Looking forward to this series!

10. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
  11. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Still can’t get me to subscribe to Peacock.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  12. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  13. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    EDIT- Tagging for language.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2022
  14. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013

Really great article and a bunch more pics in the link. The show starts on January 26th, and the first four episode will air that day.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
    rocknroll41 likes this.
  15. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
  16. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Who watched this?

17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    It was pretty good. Natasha Lyonne maybe doesn't have much range as an actor but she has her persona perfectly honed for exactly this kind of thing. The writing is decent. The plots are all kind of sad little meditations on how people's lives go wrong. The premise is pretty much the peak of mount stupid, but the show is so well executed it mostly doesn't matter.

I'll watch the next set of episodes whenever they come out. When are they coming out?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    Runjedirun likes this.
  18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll eventually take a short subscription to Peacock to check this series out, but it probably won't be for a bit and I'll deifnitely wait to see if more episodes become available first.

19. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Damn. Episode 5 is the best one yet.

I was laughing out loud. Watch this show.

This is turning into a great winter of TV with this and The Last of Us.

very refreshing to watch an episodic weekly show with minimal over arching story line,

Runjedirun likes this.
  20. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I always like a good murder mystery, so I have been watching. Unfortunately, there's not really a mystery of who committed the murders. But the setup of the show is very different from other crime mysteries, so I like it. I'll keep watching.

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    It’s the same formula as Columbo.

The difference being that the protagonist’s regular life is somehow directly linked to all the crimes so far. That link can just be being in the wrong place at the wrong time with almost total strangers being involved. Columbo is a detective called in to investigate a crime - so he doesn’t have a connection.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
    godisawesome likes this.
  22. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I have never seen Columbo. But that's not surprising. I don't watch a lot of TV. Peacock is the only streaming service I have. Before streaming came along I never had cable. I know Columbo was on network TV, but I was never allowed more than 1 hour of tv growing up per day so that didn't give me a lot of time to explore. And now that I do have the freedom to decide what I do with my time, watching TV isn't something I prioritize. But it's a great way to relax.

23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    It’s Columbo + The Fugitive, especially in how Charlie’s overarching plot is formulated without really interrupting the episodic formula. That’s where the protagonist just kind of running into all the mystery of the week comes from while they have to remain on the run and avoid a “stern chase” from the other recurring, antagonistic character of the show.

Like Columbo, though, the merit of the individual episodes comes down to how well the guest star murderers play their role and how clever Charlie’s eventual deduction is set-up. I’d argue that Charlie just having a “gift” of telling where outright lies are spoken saves the writers a lot of time in getting to the more important deductions; Columbo would often have to spend some time having him narrow down who the killer is before proving it, so letting Charlie have her suspicions raised let’s them focus on making sure what she realizes makes sense, gets foreshadowed and works. There’s a few Columbo episodes that struggled with that.

There’s also an advantage from Charlie not being a cop, since whereas Columbo had to eventually get a conviction or some kind of evidence with his gambits, Charlie can just pull a Nero Wolfe and pursue “justice through other means.”

24. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I liked episode 5. They really did mostly get the assisted living vibe down. One key mistake at least in my experience removing bodies from assisted living facilities is that the facilities tend to have a back entrance for that. It's kind of rude to remove bodies out the front door where all the residents can see and be reminded of their imminent deaths. The fixed rule is that residents go out the front door on their way to the hospital and out the back door on their way to the funeral home.

godisawesome and Runjedirun like this.
  25. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    @Runjedirun Lucky for you Columbo is on Peacock. The Columbo vibe is quite strong with this show, even down to the font and color of the titles. Natasha Lyonne has that weathered voice and the attitude to come off like she's heard every lie imaginable. It's a fun show and they seem to have their formula down where the murder occurs and then we see how Lyonne was involved despite not being seen for the first act. In a nice switch where the murderer would always confide in Columbo thinking he/she was outsmarting him, Lyonne often unknowingly confides in the killer.

godisawesome and Runjedirun like this.