main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Poll: Beyond Episode IX

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Forbidden Island, Mar 14, 2015.

?

What do you think (or want) will happen after Episode IX is released?

1. Episode IX will end the saga that started with The Phantom Menace

21 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. Episode XII will end the saga that started with The Phantom Menace

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  3. The Core "Saga" films will continue indefinitely

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  4. A New saga with a set number of episodes will start (e.g. The Old Republic eps. I-VI)

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  5. Other (please specify)

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Fingers crossed for something like Star Wars: The Old Republic, Episode I.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I hope, if they ever do this, that they use the whole "Knights of the Old Republic" title. I mean, we've had it for a comic book, then a video game, then another, totally unrelated comic book. Might as well use it for a movie series :p

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  3. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Honestly? I have no idea and I don't really care. As long as we keep getting good stuff, I'm open to anything that doesn't involve selective overwriting of established canon. As that's unlikely to happen, though, I feel secure in my continuing love for Star Wars :)

4. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    If they do a Knights of the Old Republic series I actually kind of hope they leave off Star Wars from the title. I think Knights of the Old Republic has enough weight to it that having Star Wars at the beginning isn't necessary.

5. Nickname320

Nickname320 Jedi Knight

Jun 29, 2014

I saw an interesting speculation article on starwars7news.com today about setting a post-Episode IX trilogy in the KOTOR era:

http://www.starwars7news.com/2015/0...longer-time-ago-in-a-galaxy-far-far-away.html

While I love the idea of a trilogy taking place in the Old Republic as much as the next guy, I think that a more likely approach would be for Disney to set the third spin-off in that era first. Second spin-off seems a bit too 'soon' to introduce audiences to a time period so far detached from that of the existing saga, and devoting a post-Episode IX trilogy to KOTOR seems like quite a creative risk. If they make the third spin-off an Old Republic story, Disney can effectively gauge public reaction and set the post-IX trilogy accordingly.

Irregardless, I'd say that the Old Republic will come to the big screen in one way or another... :D

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

Interesting. Good points throughout.

Nickname320 likes this.
  7. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Boba Fett Goes Medieval. Coming to a theater near you, May 2021

[​IMG]

8. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    It'll depend on how successful things are in the next few years I'd say. My gut feeling is that mass appeal will decline the further the stories get from what many consider to be the core of Star Wars, which is the story told in eps 1-6, to be concluded with the ST. Spinoffs not too far removed from this general story will hopefully do well, but a whole trilogy too far removed from that story I'd consider unlikely.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  9. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    If done well they will still have mass appeal. Prior to last year Guardians of the Galaxy was a mostly obscure comic series that had no mass appeal. Now most people I know love it, and it has mass appeal even though it doesn't have much to do with the Avengers.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  10. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    I think it will go indefinetely but I hope it will end at XII.

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This.

G of the G is a good example of the fact that if a film is done well, it can cause people to enjoy the subject matter, no matter what it is.

I think that fans of TFA will become invested in the new trilogy and the new story arc, and look back on the previous episodes in the saga much less (and also compare them much less to the ST) as we see more of the story. We're only doing that now, cos we don't really know what to expect. I for one look forward to the time when we're all on here in about 4 years or so, brewing with anticipation and excitement for finally seeing how this trilogy's story (whatever it may be) will end with Episode IX!

I think many of these thoughts on here will change, after December 18...:cool:

12. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    If I had to guess, the time after Episode IX will see the release of a few more solo Anthology films, releasing annually. After maybe two or three years of that, I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney/Lucasfilm move forward with another trilogy. Whether that new trilogy is Episodes X, XI, and XII or something else (perhaps an Old Republic trilogy), I have no clue. That's just the way I see things playing out.

13. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Hard to say.. I think they will end at IX and continue woth spin offs.. And then after some break they will create new Trilogy in different time period..

14. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    I voted to end in IX. After all, this was something GL said back in 1980 or so when the Episode crawl was changed and he re-named Star Wards to EPIV ANH. He said that he envisioned a nine part saga.

Of course over the years he changed his mind as is his wont. Then he said the Saga was about Anakin's redemption and that it was from 1 to 6 and that ended and tied the Anakin saga.

Now we have a new trilogy that will probably challenge the Anakin saga and it will be something else which we don't know yet. After all is said and done, we will have a better idea if there's more saga to tell after IX.

I can see going back to the Old Republic (pre-Yoda days). And have a story again centered around the Sith and the Jedi. But there's so much material out there and it would have to be cohesive and consistent with the Saga (somehow) I think it may not be the best place to go. Maybe it would be better to have a story that's 100's of years after Episode IX.

One thing that really intrigued me since 1977 was the very first thing I saw in the movie...

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..."

So there's a lot of space-time to move forward and move away from the Old Republic, the Jedi Order and the Sith Order the new republic and the current Saga characters.

There are also tons of other stories that could be told. Bounty Hunters, Slave traders, Smugglers, Cadet academy, Jedi training, fighter pilot stories, the clone wars, the rebellion war, and new stuff that could be created.

15. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    I'm guessing the saga as we've come to know it ("Episode so and so") will end at 9. It was a minor miracle getting the "big three" back here. And I'm guessing (or hoping) once they're done,the "Skywalker Saga" is done.

I have to imagine they'll still want to make use of these new characters, though. I guess it depends on how well they're received. But I'm really thinking stand alone is what will happen.

TBH,the further we get away from the "Skywalker Saga" the less interested I become. That's why I'm hoping for eventual Han Solo,Obi-Wan,etc solo movies. If we start getting Old Republic films set 500 years before ANH, I'll be fairly apathetic.

16. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Star Wars will always be the skywalkers vs. the sith. Get too far removed from that and it's not "Star Wars", it's just something that takes place in the same universe.

DBPirate and Obi-John Kenobi like this.
  17. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002

That's my point. In order to continue you will have to have Skywalkers in the mix. Since Anakin is the "first" Skywalker having been created by the mids then the only way to have Skywalkers is to keep going forward to the stories of his descendants.

But I hope there's a "period of peace" at some point, possibly after Episode IX.

I mean the Republic enjoyed a long period of peace before the events of TPM. If the Anakin hero's journey didn't manage even 30 years of peace, was it still a big deal?

18. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Don't really want a 12 part saga. I would enjoy Old Republic films though as the first canon thing is The Phantom Menace right now and we all know there's a lot more they can do.

So technically I'd go with both the first and fourth answers. Continue indefinitely? Wow, no thanks. I'd like to see the entire saga before I die.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'd like more films after IX... Even just one,. End it with X.. Could they do that..???:confused:

20. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    Well, in this day and age we may not get an Episode X but maybe an Episode 9 3/4

;)
    I mean an Episode IX Part 1, then Episode IX Part 2 and Episode IX Part 3. I mean if Peter Jackson managed to take the Hobbit and make three very long movies then anything's possible.

But I still hoping that the Saga will end and make sense from a story point of view.

21. ChewieWe'reHome

ChewieWe'reHome Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 25, 2015
    People say the movies wouldn't be "Star Wars" anymore without the Skywalker legacy intertwining them all. Personally though I'd say if they incorporate the Force, dark side and the light, it's Star Wars to me. :)

That being said, after IX I think I'll be tired of the Force being disturbed over and over. Gradually would start taking the impact out of each trilogy's resolution.

22. Darth Kermit

Darth Kermit Jedi Knight

Oct 22, 2013
    I'd love to see a new saga based around the Old Republic era, exploring the old sith vs jedi battles such as Russan. It should definitely include Bane. The time period is definitely my favourite. All the old Sith masters such as Naga Sadow, Revan and the original Sith Emporer etc (Although I feel they ruined that storyline in the SWTOR expansions). Would love to see big screen adaptations of their stories.

23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I voted for "Episode IX will end the Saga that started with The Phantom Menace," but I do think a new saga will start as well, either in the thousands of years in the past (which allows a focus on the fantasy aspect of the series) or a few hundred years after IX (which allows for a focus on the science-fiction aspects). I don't think they'll number these new films, since they've deemphasized the Episode numbers with this new trilogy of films, relegating "Episode VII" to something acknowledged only on the official website and in the opening crawl.

So long as the films look and feel like Star Wars, no matter when they're set, no matter who they're about, and as long as they're good, that's what matters to me.

24. ObidioJuan

Nov 1, 2002
    I don't know how the "saga that started in TPM" can continue beyond ROTJ. Really the Saga was as much about Obiwan as it was about Anakin. And Obiwan's "journey" finishes with Anakin's redemption. Or you can say it's the story of Anakin's fall from grace and redemption. Or the story of the fall of the Jedi and the Return of the Jedi (pun intended). In which case maybe the new trilogy is the Return of the Sith... which IMHO is the real title of Episode 3 only GL got convinced to change it as it was the same as Episode 6.

The first three episodes is about the fall of the Republic.and the Jedi and Anakin. And the raise of the Empire

The next three episodes is about the fall of the Galactic Empire and the Sith and Anakin's redemption, and Luke's raising of the Jedi.

It kind of made sense and was a complete circle of sorts. The new trilogy hopefully will move beyond the Empire and Anakin and focus on the story of the new protagonists. With a beginning and an end.

TheOneX_Eleazar and Darth Kermit like this.
  25. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    Well the way I see it, Star Wars is currently two connected trilogies.

The way the ST is looking, it will be more of a direct continuation of the OT with way more connections.

So I think Star Wars will be a trilogy that's connected to a Hexalogy