main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: Rate/Rank/Compare The ST Films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Glitterstimm, Dec 24, 2019.

?

What's Your Favorite ST Film? - Poll

1. The Rise of Skywalker

109 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. The Last Jedi

115 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. The Force Awakens

127 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. I like them all equally!

16 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Wow. 97 votes each!
    A sign that they're all equally... movies.

CampOfSorgan and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Yeah - I'm not sure that's a positive sign... ;)

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    If there’s an “I like them all equally” option, shouldn’t there be an “I hate them all equally” option, and an “I’m meh about them all equally” option?

Just trying to get the word meh into a survey.

4. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Given that there's another poll on here that shows how deflated the general community feel about the ST, I suspect that most of us feel the ST is of a very similar standard... which probably accounts for the close scores.

5. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I think you're right. These movies and trilogy simply needed to be better. They(Disney) had everything at their disposal: Unlimited budgets, access to any directors or creative people they needed and plenty of time to smooth it out and make it cohesive. They needed to hit a home run and instead legged-out a double and barely slid in safe. Just disappointing overall. Star Wars has a VERY high bar so lets take that into account.

As for the best of the three films for me? Its The Last Jedi. Yes, Canto Bight sucks and if you pull that entire sequence out of the movie it goes up another star right there. Ive come to appreciate Lukes attitude. I enjoy the Kylo/Rey interactions. Lots to like here, actually despite some dumb stuff. Force Awakens is soldi but a little too by the numbers for me. I do like th setup and narrative focus though. Its a solid film. Rise of Skywalker? Ugh, couldnt stand it. Palpatine being brought back simply sucked and reeked of desperation and the Kylo getting the "All My Children" treatment just killed it for me. They did nothing with Poe, Finn got sort of reset again and it just fell so flat.

So:
    Last Jedi: 4/5
    Force Awakens: 3.5/5
    Rise: 2/5(barely)

black_saber and Darth PJ like this.
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    TLJ is still the best move of all the ST and one of the best in the saga, And i think Cato Bight get sometimes unfair critism similar to what the prequels got.

Mokuhanga1 likes this.
  7. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    TLJ is great, but at the same time I think it is a selfish movie. It did not make a smooth transition from the overall vibe set from TFA, and made things much more difficult for TROS.

I love TLJ by the way, see my sig.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Sable_Hart, Kalo'ne and chris hayes like this.
  8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I'm calling it a draw 98 all

9. alwayslurking

alwayslurking Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 21, 2019
    I haven't voted yet so I feel very powerful right now.

Blobofat, chris hayes, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I always considered you the Joe Lieberman of the forums.

alwayslurking likes this.
  11. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Gone into overtime still a drawing at 99 all :eek:

Blobofat likes this.
  12. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    So are they all equally good...or equally bad? [face_thinking]

13. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    TFA, i liked the first half with Kylo Ren being ruthless, burning down villages, force torturing Poe, wanting to kill Rey. Rey was just a scavenger. Finn had a character. Han and Chewie being reunited with the Millenium Falcon is also a nice scene, but it's a shame that Luke and Leia didn't meet up as well.

14. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    lol ....I think we'll say equally good as we like all Star Wars on here [face_thinking] being fans on a forum that is :D

Darkstrider likes this.
  15. Kalo'ne

Kalo'ne Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2020
    I’m reading so much toxic stuff about the sequels whenever I see posts about them on my FB feed, it creates the depressing sense that these movies are universally loathed by the SW fan base. So it’s nice to come to a fan community like this one and read more positive reactions along with level headed criticisms (although I’ve not explored other threads abt the new movies yet - suspect it gets pretty heated)

Personally I loved them all! I wonder if it has more to do with being 40+ and having fairly low expectations after finding the prequels massively disappointing in my 20s. Honestly, The Phantom Menace gets worse every time I watch it. Perhaps if I had grown up with the prequels though I’d find these new films equally disappointing?

Anyway, I think what I loved overall is the chemistry between the young actors along with the fantastic overall art direction. These movies looked great to me and felt more like the OT aesthetically. Yes, there were some story issues and I wish TLJ had not been so cavalier with Snoke and some of the mysteries established in TFA, but I did admire the risk taking on Rian Johnson’s part, even if it did create a nightmare for the writers of TROS. I LOVED the old cynical Luke Ahch-To stuff.

My vote goes to TFA. It’s great fun and has genuine moments of magic with Han and his interactions with the young cast.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    chris hayes likes this.
  16. imperial scum

imperial scum Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 7, 2020
    For me it's the opposite. The Phantom Menace gets better every time i watch it but i dislike TFA on rewatching.

Darth PJ and Sithblade11 like this.
  17. Kalo'ne

Kalo'ne Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2020
    How do you rate the prequels vs sequels overall?

18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    For a long time The Phantom Menace was my least favourite Star Wars film. And although I always 'appreciated it', I just did't like the pacing/editing enough to enjoy it as a film (although conceptually/creatively I always thought it was great) . However, in contrast, I do think the sequels trilogy make TPM look better. In comparison, TPM is much more evenly paced, and as a film, Lucas chooses to let the story/plot build more organically, which allows for better world building and better development of concepts and themes.

Kalo'ne likes this.
  19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I've always loved TPM, but lately it's been sinking in my rankings. AOTC, which I've always had problems with, is rising though, interestingly enough. And ROTS keeps getting better and better for each time I've watch it (and it has done so since 2005). I think ROTS is better than all the sequels, but I think all the sequels are better than AOTC and TPM.

20. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    I'd say that my favorite Sequel film is The Force Awakens. It is a flawed film, but it remains enjoyable to watch and I liked all the characters. I sadly can't say about the two other films.

TFA:
    Flawed fun.
    When I first watched the Force Awakens, I hadn't seen the Original Trilogy so I had no thoughts on the film's treatment of the old trio. My focus was on the new characters and I liked all of them: Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo Ren and BB-8 - Finn was my favorite out of the film's cast followed by Kylo Ren and then Rey.

Finn: He was very likable and I liked his character premise.

Kylo Ren: He had such a cool design and his character premise was interesting. The "I'm being torn apart" line made sense because it seemed to be solely about killing his father instead of being about Kylo Ren's general evil. I also liked that contrary to his expectations, he didn't become stronger from killing his father. If anything, he became weaker which enabled Rey to better fight him.

(Unfortunately, he ended up suffering so significantly from "tell, don't show", among other things, in the latter films that that he ended up with implied character depth rather than any real depth.)

Rey: I found her a little too boring, not helped by how easily she used powers that she should have had to learn. It diminished the "believability" of her character and robbed her of some interesting opportunities. I still liked her and was interested in seeing where they were going to go with her (which, like Finn, turned out to be nowhere)

TLJ: Too flawed to be fun.
    This was the film that made me disinterested in the Sequel Trilogy because it killed my interest in the main cast and it killed my interest in the story itself.

I also don't think the film work as well as it should as the middle part of a trilogy. It feels too interested in using its version of the characters to tell its own story, which is naturally to the detriment of advancing the plot and the characters themselves. It's the Mass Effect 2 problem: It's enjoyable filler, but it is still filler and that is not what the second part of a three part series should be.

TROS: Too flawed to be fun.
    The inevitable result of a trilogy with too little planning. There was absolutely no way that this film was not going to be an unsatisfying mess. The only reason that I went to see it, after TLJ, was because someone dear to me had bought tickets as a present and I didn't have the heart to say no.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  21. Darkstrider

Darkstrider Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2020
    TFA=TLJ>TRoS

22. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    They rushed it obviously. The 2 year gaps give it all away but it obviously is far more complicated than that probably.
    Disney bought the franchise and they mandated a new trilogy extending Lucas's saga immediately starting with TFA in 2015. I suspect they did spend some time working on the trilogy at first between 2012 and 2014 and then at some point just abandoned playing out the trilogy in favour of just tackling each film as it's own thing.
    The end of Force Awakens was actually quite different to previous endings but the Last Jedi then totally goes off in weird directions that actually completely betray its predecessor. And then TROS is just left field.
    I don't think I hate these films but they are incredibly disappointing really and it's a shame.

23. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    TFA is the only good movie to me but as a sequel to ROTJ it completely fails and as a hardcore Star Wars fan the plot is pretty boring to me because it doesn't add anything new to the universe, as we all know it just copies ANH.

24. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Good to read this , I definitely agree that the ST is better than the PT especially TPM & ATOC as ROTS is actually my fav Star Wars movie....I don't look at facebook posts anymore concerning the ST as it's so toxic and hateful that it's actually frightening !

black_saber and Kalo'ne like this.
  25. chris hayes

Nov 13, 2012
    Yep they should have never gone with a 2 year gap it was basically haste and greed to try and recoup the $4.1 billion - it should have been one director all the way through and releasing in 2016 , 2019 and 2022 therefore giving the director far more time to create a cohesive story......