main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: Rate/Rank/Compare The ST Films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Glitterstimm, Dec 24, 2019.

?

What's Your Favorite ST Film? - Poll

1. The Rise of Skywalker

109 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. The Last Jedi

115 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. The Force Awakens

127 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. I like them all equally!

16 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    The Sequel Trilogy has become more like an optional set of Star Wars movies and story arc to me.

The Force Awakens remains my favorite in the the ST, I watched it twice in theaters back in 2015/2016. I even bought the Blu-Ray to watch it again

Regarding The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker: after watching The Last Jedi during its realease in theaters back in 2017, I told myself that I might need to watch it again in order to better understand it since I was a bit puzzled by it after leaving the theater, not liking it, nor hating it. But at the end I've never watched it again, being indifferent towards this movie and feeling some sort of detachment from Star Wars since I was starting to move to another stage in my personal life. I've watched The Rise of Skywalker only once and felt some sort of satisfaction towards it after leaveing the theater, but then told myself that everyting that Disney will make regarding Star Wars will become optional to me at this point. I've never bought the Blu-Rays and DVD of The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker and never watched them again since...

I grew more indifferent towards Disney's Star Wars Sequel Trilogy over time, not really liking it, nor hating it...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  2. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    I seem to remember that each ST movie had their own rating poll...cant find them the ST forum, d'you know guys where i can find them? Now that TFA, TJL and TROS have respectively 5, 3 and 1 years i was curious to see where the fans stand now we've moved on from it.

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I liked TFA best. Yes it was familiar, but I thought it was well done. I still watch it from time to time. TROS was okay, but was like SW on crack. Like a 2 hour Star Tours ride. No comment on the middle film. [face_plain]

2Cleva and godisawesome like this.
  4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I still say TFA has the best "usage" of an OT3 cast member in terms of having Han contribute to the main plot of the new characters and conflict, and that it's the only film where, by and large, Rey fans, Finn fans, and Kylo fans were generally united in appreciation and excitement because all three characters had ambitious character arcs and because none of them sabotaged each other; I mean, TFa is basically the reason all three characters even have fanbases who argue with each other now, isn't it?

5. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    I don't "like" any of these films to be honest, but TFA is my easy favorite. It also left open plot threads that could have led to satisfying stories and outcomes. TROS is undoubtedly the "worst" movie, it's a jumbled mess with incredible contrivances and awful pacing. Still, it feels like the people making it liked Star Wars and tried to give us a good time. TLJ is still my least favorite due to the treatment of Luke, the nonsensical B and C plots, the awful humor, and just being a dour, boring film.

6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    TROS takes back to no1 position ! YES ,

TROS is my fav of the ST just because JJ tired to retcon NOPE EP8 effort ,

lets be honest though TFA was a fan service copy and paste of ANH but it worked and the box office and reviews proves that so Star Wars was riding high then came a man nicked named NOPE Johnson who took a sledge hammer to all the TFA set up , back stabbed Star Wars and killed the ST all in one fowl stroke - it was great cinematography , great Art and some great space battles but made a mockery of Luke , Finn and Rey's parentage , made a farce of Snoke by killing him off and made a mockery of Kylo's helmet ,

JJ had to work with what NOPE had given him and could not unfortunately fix it so you ended up with what the ST was a structure that was messed up and not cohesive and what started out on what could have possibly equal the OT ended up worse than the PT ! and the blame lies entirely with NOPE and KK.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2020
  7. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    102. 101. 107.

[​IMG]

chris hayes likes this.
  8. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    DROP THE “RUIN” TALK. WE AIN’T ALLOWING THAT ANYMORE.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    chris hayes and Darth PJ like this.
  9. TK-2814

TK-2814 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 20, 2019
    TLJ>TFA=TROS

In General:
    -TFA made me jaded on SW the moment I saw it due to it’s copy-paste job to cater to the part of the fandom that believe fans like me (i.e. unapologetic prequel fans) shouldn’t be allowed to exist and undermining everything the previous heroes worked for.

-TLJ followed the same issues as TFA but it feels tame in comparison.

-TROS takes the same issues I had with 7 and took it to the extremes so high it confirmed my concerns about the film the moment I heard JJ was going to be in the director chair and so glad I didn’t shell out $12 for a ticket. I can’t decide which of JJ’s films is worse of not just the ST but the entirety of SW but regardless of people ragging on RJ I still consider TLJ the best of the 3.

PendragonM likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Sad to see TLJ losing it’s one of my favorite Star Wars movies period but I have never really liked what other fans liked. I guess I have bad taste in film

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    ...At the risk of being a bit weird here, I think that depends more on what makes TLJ your favorite.:p

I have no objections to someone’s taste of it’s the Luke story they like above all else; I regard that story as philosophically flawed for it’s context and ultimately of little use to the ST as a separate narrative... but since I see it more as the wrong kind of writing as opposed to bad writing, I don’t have any issue respecting that opinion.

In that case, I came to eat a fat steak and instead I’m getting a little fancy seafood, so it’s not bad taste, it’s just not what I ordered or what the restraint was advertising.

...If it’s about the young characters, and it an opinion held against TFA’s output there, well... we’re all human.;)

That’s more like ordering a steak and getting a suspiciously colored and smelly salad instead.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The young characters nah. Never really cared for Rey or Kylo or what have you. I like it because of Luke and Leia. I think the movie does both of them an amazing service.

godisawesome likes this.
  13. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Again, I can respect that. It’s about the only POV of TLJ I can disagree with but respect![face_laugh]

And I think it s a bit more fascinating, because in a way, I think it kind of naturally leads to TLJ having set and then met a bar wholly for itself in that POV that the next film simply couldn’t replicate. That POV,s closer to “The Epilogue of Luke Skywalker” in terms of what’s desired, and while I may roll my eyes at that the same way I would at someone claiming “Robin and Marian” is the best Robin Hood film... I can understand it.

But it also kind of meant that TROS was never going to have a shot of matching up in that set of standards, simply because the people needed for that kind of story was gone.[face_sigh]

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  14. TK-2814

Nov 20, 2019
    I wouldn’t be too worried about it. From my experience with fandoms you’ll enjoy yourself more with 10 people who share similar interests as opposed to trying to fit in with 100 people who try to persuade you’re wrong for not following the crowd.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I am not that sad mind you. Like what you like and all that. I liked the prequels back during the worst of the hate in the late 2000s and early 2010s.

black_saber likes this.
  16. TK-2814

Nov 20, 2019
    I was just trying to say anyone loving any of these films doesn’t measure you’re taste. If anything that kind of thinking needs to be done with because all it breeds is gatekeeping, division and avoidable migraines for everyone involved.

17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree that TFA is the sequel that gives its OT lead (in this case Han) the best function within the ST overall. I just wish they'd not stripped his character of the progression he so desperately needed (IMO).

If it's any consolation, the 'professional' critics are broadly on your side... and personally speaking, I do think TLJ is the (technically speaking) best film of the ST.

18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    My apologies , I'm just frustrated at what should and could have been :(

LOL , I don't pretend to be great at grammar , I'm a drop out :p

It's almost like TLJ is from Sesame street :

One of these things is not like the other !

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2020
  19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
  20. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The Last Jedi

The Force Awakens

The Rise of Skywalker

21. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I hate all of them but at least TROS is hilarious, unintentionally. Also Billy Dee is terrific and there's a nice human moment between Finn and Jannah on the Falcon...and that's about it.
    TLJ has that one moment of Luke and Artoo before Artoo starts playing the hologram. It's also funny in baffling ways.

TFA? I was actually nodding along and thinking "this isn't bad" just before they started running for the Falcon and that's when the whole movie starts to come off the rails. When Han says he can't take a map to Luke to Leia, after the idiocy that is the whole thing with the rathars and Rey's insulting "I fixed it," I was pretty much done. I should have walked out at that point. I really should have gotten up when they killed Han for no reason but I was trapped in the middle of a row.

The shame of it is, I liked Finn and Poe. They deserved a better set of movies. Even Rey could have been tolerable - she was up until she beat the stuffing out of Finn and by the time she got on the Falcon, I was well on my way to not liking her any more. TLJ sealed the deal and she's basically infallible in TROS. Rose, Jannah and BB-8 could have worked too.

I hated Kylo from jump and it only got worse as it went.

What they did to Luke, Han and Leia was unforgiveable. To a lesser extent what they did to Chewie, Artoo, Threepio, Lando and Wedge. Also, the idea that not even thirty years later, everything the OT did meant nothing is lunacy. To watch LFL try and puzzle out what's gone wrong is an exercise in frustration.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    mtt02263 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  22. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    TFA

TLJ

TROS

Feel like everything that's needed to be said about the ST has already been said. The quality kept finding new lows to sink to and it ended on an absolutely pathetic and bleak note that's played as something to be celebrated, but...there's nothing there to celebrate, so it just...ends.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    mtt02263 and PendragonM like this.
  23. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    My opinions on The Force Awakens have definitely changed the most. It was actually the first Star Wars movie that I saw in theaters with my family and it was an incredible experience. I used to love The Force Awakens. But Episode 9 sadly put the film in a different context for me and JJ Abrams' flaws as a story-teller became more obvious. I do admit that The Force Awakens is just too familiar. JJ Abrams wanted to tell another story about an underdog Rebellion fighting against a larger Empire... and I think that was a mistake. Especially since the New Republic, which honestly should have played a larger role in the sequel trilogy, was treated as an afterthought. The Force Awakens should have given us a more unique conflict other than one that we already saw in the original trilogy. The First Order did have potential, especially in that they saw themselves as the Rebel Alliance trying to overthrow a corrupt government and restore order to the galaxy. The Resistance, while not as interesting to me as the First Order as a concept, also had potential as a private military force if they had kept the New Republic. There were good ideas, I just think that they needed more development. And while I don't hate Starkiller Base, we didn't need another super weapon similar to the Death Star. There's also JJ Abrams' damn mystery boxes, setting up questions that he had no answers to. I think that these problems damaged the sequel trilogy as a whole and as a result I unfortunately don't enjoy The Force Awakens as much as I used to.

I still love The Last Jedi, which is easily my favorite of the sequel trilogy. Because I feel like it was trying to move the story in a different direction away from the original trilogy and it really bugs me that JJ Abrams blatantly retconned so much of what I liked when making Episode 9, returning to something that was too familiar and too predictable. Episode 9 is actually the only Star Wars movie that I hate, so much that I refuse to call it by its title and it has sadly hurt my enjoyment of The Force Awakens. When it came out, The Force Awakens was actually my third favorite Star Wars movie. Now it's my eighth.

Merrin and cerealbox like this.
  24. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    To be fair, by the time LucasFilm asked JJ to come back for EpisodeIX, they knew what they were going to get with his familiar and too predictable style.

25. CosmoHender

CosmoHender Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2016
    It's honestly a problem I have with JJ when it comes to his other films as well. Look at the modern Star Trek film franchise, for example. Just like how my favorite of the sequel trilogy is the film not directed by Abrams, my favorite of the modern Star Trek films is the one that Abrams had the least involvement in. I love Star Trek Beyond because out of the reboot series it was the most original and new. I don't hate the other two films at all, but Beyond is by far the movie that I always want to rewatch the most. Similarly, The Last Jedi is by far the movie in the sequel trilogy that I always want to rewatch the most. Because it doesn't rely on what came before as much as The Force Awakens and Episode 9.