main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: Rate/Rank/Compare The ST Films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Glitterstimm, Dec 24, 2019.

?

What's Your Favorite ST Film? - Poll

1. The Rise of Skywalker

109 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. The Last Jedi

115 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. The Force Awakens

127 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. I like them all equally!

16 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    1. TLJ
    2. TROS
    3. TFA

2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    1. TROS 10/10
    2. TLJ 8.5/10
    3. TFA 8/10

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  3. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    1. ROS
    2. TFA

5. TLJ

4. Kole

Kole Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2016
    I voted TFA as my slight favorite, but a strength of the trilogy in my eyes (I realize some consider it a weakness) is that all three films feel completely different from one another, so my ranking of the three depends entirely on my mood that day. Do I want tightly-focused traditional adventure? TFA. Introspective, slow, and dark? TLJ. Fun wall-to-wall action with multiple plot lines and rapid-fire pacing? TROS

5. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    1.The Rise of Skywalker (8/10)
    2.The Force Awakens (8/10)
    3.The Last Jedi (6/10)

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  6. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    1. TFA (7/10).
    2.TLJ (3/10).
    3. TROS (2/10).

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    1. TROS isn't a great work of art, but for whatever reason it works for me.
    2. TFA makes up in enthusiasm what it lacks in originality.
    3. TLJ has some awesome moments, but the subplots desperately needed a rewrite to make sense.

8. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    After TROS I feel each of the sequel entries goes up a grade due to how they come together and how rewarding the eventual ending is.

TLJ: 8.9/10 - The best one movie individual human arc on real darkness in the saga, with some legitimate surprises, and the next level of the eventual ReyBen end game. Some truly magnificent cinematic moments worthy of art house cinema the way the best moments of Empire were.

TROS: 8.5/10 - The true reveal of one of the most powerful force savants ever in Rey Palpatine combining with brand new and amazing Sith lore, Leia Jedi training, and the true end of Darth Sidious.

TFA: 7.9/10 - The intro to all of the main sequel characters, the best Finn arc of all, and the beginning of when Rey saw into Ben’s mind and realized the man he once was and could be again. The man we met at the end of the saga.

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    1. The Force Awakens, and it’s not even close. At no point in the rest of the Trilogy is Rey written as well as she was there, never again was Kylo as good of a villain, and frankly, Finn’s story there still gives him more development and humanity than his peers across all three films, even when he gets officially demoted in TROS after being sidelined by TLJ. It has easily the best lightsaber fight, and emotional story arcs that actually make sense

...It also might belong in a different Trilogy, because the substance inside it and the shadow it casts over the schizophrenic writing and plotting later undermines what’s supposed to be the message or appeal of the other two films.

2. The Last Jedi. I *still* hate the writing for this movie... but I still actually admire and respect its direction and focus. It fundamentally rerouted the series into being obsessed with the ethereal “what if” about Ben and created the poisonous Reylo plot line that limited both character’s potential, and fundamentally didn’t actually work as a Part II film. But Hamill is undoubtedly acting his heart out as Luke, and Johnson’s sedate and measured direction creates some beautiful moments that would, in a better story, be magnificent.

3. The Rise of Skywalker. This is a jumbled mess with the worst weaknesses of both its previous entries, trying to make up for it by injecting as much stuff as it possibly can into a film that is one part pale ROTJ remake, one part Avengers Endgame ripoff. It fundamentally ends the Saga on a sour, self-sabotaged note of marketing gimmicks and an abusive romance, replacing the happy ending of ROTJ with one that completely misses all points, even its own, and is the closest the series gets to a Michael Bay movie,

The Deuteragonist likes this.
  10. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    You know what’s interesting? I was scrolling through a bunch of new starwars movie rankings on google, and most of them have TRoS ranked low and TLJ ranked high, yet here it seems to be the exact opposite, in many cases.

Just thought that was interesting...

DarthKreVass likes this.
  11. qui-gon-chan

qui-gon-chan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 5, 2018
    1.The Last Jedi (7.5/10)
    2.The Rise of Skywalker (7/10)
    3.The Force Awakens (6/10)

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    - TROS
    - TFA
    - Adverts with neglected animals and sad music playing
    - Documentaries about human trafficking
    - Fox and Friends

-TLJ

13. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    My Ranking and one comment

1. Rise of Skywalker -- (Resolution, Finally)
    2. Force Awakens -- (Pacing was good, JJ's Sequel Era introduced, built up mysteries that took too long to explain)
    3. The Last Jedi -- (started off great but the second half wasn't to my liking, RJ worked too hard to violate my expectations)

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  14. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I'd probably go:

1. TFA - derivative but well executed.... yeah I could have done without some of the plot contrivances and SK base, but definitely a good time
    2. ROTS - Actually a pretty decent job at cleaning up the giant mess TLJ made of the trilogy. Sure, it wasn't perfect... but it honestly was quite a bit better than expected considering the hole they were digging out of. It's almost a straight sequel to TFA also

3. TLJ - I'm actually someone who was pretty much fine with the Luke staff... and the Rey/Kylo staff was good too. I was fine with killing Snoke as well. The resistance/FO was terrible, the canto blight crap was terrible... basically all non jedi parts were god awful and even worse basically setup nothing for a 3rd movie....... Even the good stuff (the jedi/force parts) didn't bother to set hooks for a 3rd movie. Like ok, kill Snoke... but now what? It's like Johnson had the first half of some cool ideas and then never bothered to flesh them out enough. I'm not a big JJ fan, but it's very obvious the ST would have been much better if he had just made all 3 movies

15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    1. TLJ - the best of all the new films, in terms of its character and thematic development, even if its four act structure is a bit funky
    2. TROS - messy, overly busy plotting for its first half, but nevertheless hugely resonant emotionally and thematically
    3. TFA - a great introduction to a new group of characters, but often leans on nostalgia and an obligatory narrative distraction (Starkiller Base)

rocknroll41, Alpha Spook and Sarge like this.
  16. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    TLJ - 8/10
    TFA - 7.5/10
    TROS - 6.5/10

17. yodasoda2187

yodasoda2187 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    I'm one of the weird people who like them all equally. With the OT and PT I have a definite order that hasn't changed in a very long time. Maybe over time that will happen here too.

I think each movie has its strengths and weaknesses and they are pretty different from each other. I also like each one but for different reasons, so that makes ranking them difficult.

TFA - recaptures OT feel with great new characters, good acting, and lots of fun. Unfortunately it feels a bit too like ANH with Starkiller Base especially, but every time I watch this movie I'm filled with pure joy. Han's death scene is also spectacular.

TLJ - goes an unexpected direction but really gets deep into the characters. Kylo and Rey are especially interesting and I thought it made Luke a more human/rounded character (which I can see why some would hate that). The Canto Bight plot and occasional out of place humor are my biggest negatives. It also doesn't do the best job setting up the next movie. I often think it works best as a standalone, even though it's the 8th movie in a saga.

TROS - I've only seen it once but I had more fun at the theater than I've had in years. JJ does a great job with character interactions and capturing Star Wars style humor. It felt very frantic and I'm still unsure about Rey Palpatine, but generally I liked the ending. Ben's redemption was handled well, with both Leia and Han playing a role. This is definitely subject to change after more viewings and time.

Sarge likes this.
  18. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Force Awakens was the only one I liked upon first viewing though upon reflection, I could tell that it was highly unoriginal. I'd have to go with that one.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My ranking
    TLJ
    TFA
    TROS
    I like them all but some a bit more than others

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  20. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I don't really like any of them. But if I had to choose one Sequel Trilogy film, it would be "The Force Awakens".

lookameatbag likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    TLJ 10/10
    ESB 10/10
    SW 9.5/10
    TFA 9/10
    R1 8.5/10
    TPM 8/10
    ROTJ 7/10
    TROS 6/10
    ROTS 5.5/10
    Solo 5/10
    AOTC 3/10

22. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    1. TLJ
    2. TFA
    3. TROS

23. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It’s difficult as I think TLJ is the most divisive film, plays fast and loose with the character of Luke, but it’s the most competently made. Whereas TROS is probably the most ‘Lucas like’ and accessible.

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    TLJ
    TROS
    TFA

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    TROS
    TFA
    TLJ