main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. The Boards Are Now Reopened For Business:

READ THIS: your ability to post here depends upon it.. See the new rules thread here. Bans can and will be handed out to anyone who doesn't abide by the forum rules.

ST POLL: Rate/Rank/Compare The ST Films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Glitterstimm, Dec 24, 2019.

?

What's Your Favorite ST Film? - Poll

1. The Rise of Skywalker

101 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. The Last Jedi

99 vote(s)
    30.9%
  3. The Force Awakens

106 vote(s)
    33.1%
  4. I like them all equally!

14 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Empress Shatterpoint

Empress Shatterpoint Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    I like no movie in this trilogy. With that said, here's my ranking:

1)TROS: This movie wants me to believe that Sheev has procreated because Rey Palpatine. Reylo...is a thing. I at least find some amusement in Sheevery, but zombie Palpatine just doesn't work. I tolerate it somewhat better than the previous two though.

2)TLJ: Single-handedly disconnects the movies in the ST. At least avoided the worst of TFA-intended routes (Rey not being Luke's daughter, Snoke killed off) but betrayed Luke's character to a degree I had not thought possible. Finn stuck as a static character. Pointlessness of Rose Tico. Leia acting out of character. Weird Kylo-Rey connection scenes.

3)TFA: Nothing with SW world crafting, plot, or character arcs was salvageable at the end of that movie. It was poorly done recycled garbage. Destroyed Star Wars for me.

Mange, DarthFixxxer and appleseed like this.
  2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    yeah I only saw TROS once my score may go up on repeat view...

3. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    After two viewing of TROS:

TROS
    TFA
    TLJ

Top two are close and I plan to see TROS again. Felt so many missed opportunities to put it up near top with ESB, ANH, ROTS, ROTJ. Post the issues in another thread. Overall I like the sequel trilogy, it just left that incomplete feeling just like the PT did even though all three were overall better films than the PT.

Mange likes this.
  4. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 25, 2019
    Since we are limiting ourselves to the ST in this thread:

1. TROS - Nice to see the new trio together (finally!), and considering how much this was hamstrung by both TFA and TLJ, it is a minor miracle that JJ was able to pull off what he did. Flawed to be sure, and it still can't touch the OT, but I'm surprised I actually enjoyed this.
    2. Either TFA or TLJ could be in this spot, but for the moment I'll go with TFA. Yes, it's derivative, but the Falcon chase on Jakku is fun, the intros to Rey and Finn are done well, and they have good chemistry together (which unfortunately was subsequently abandoned).
    3. TLJ - I don't mind having my expectations challenged. But there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. The Luke/Rey/Kylo dynamic had potential, but was sorely underdeveloped. Instead of doing a better job explaining how the Luke who conquered his demons and redeemed his father in ROTJ could become the coward we see in TLJ who ignores his own sister, we get two tedious and inferior subplots (Canto Bight and Poe/Holdo). The tone of much of the film feels like a smug, condescending lecture from Rian Johnson that this is who Luke is, this is what Star Wars is, and if you don't like it or understand it, well you're just not as smart as Rian Johnson is. And yet Johnson has the unmitigated gall to crib from the OT when it suits his purpose by having Poe mimic Han's iconic "I know" line when Poe has literally just met Rey. Again, thumbing his nose at the OT. Frankly, given all the foregoing, Hamill's performance (given his very public reservations) is nothing short of astounding. The film as a whole is visually impressive - the color palettes of the Rey/Kylo throne room lightsaber fight and the battle of Crait are admittedly arresting, but alas.

Edit/Addendum: For broader context, what follows was my post from another thread ranking all of the films, not just the ST:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. Return of the Jedi

I grew up on the OT. Lightning in a bottle. The perfect combination of story, action, humor and pathos. The OT reigns supreme for me. Always has, always will.

4. Rogue One
    5. The Rise of Skywalker

Two very different films constitute my second tier. TROS is more "fun" - it was dealt a bad hand by both TFA and TLJ, but does its best to salvage the ST. R1 is probably objectively a better movie than TROS, but is darker and more grim; I have to be in a certain state of mind to watch R1. Depending on my mood on a given day, I could probably switch the placement of these two.

6. The Force Awakens
    7. The Last Jedi
    8. Revenge of the Sith

In all honesty, this hodgepodge is a muddle; any of these 3 films could fill any of these 3 positions. Each has its unique strengths but also significant weaknesses.

9. Solo
    10. The Phantom Menace
    11. Attack of the Clones.

Solo is perfectly innocuous; there is nothing really good or bad about it. It bores me to tears. TPM has a few highlights - podracing, Darth Maul, Duel of the Fates - lost amidst leaden acting and direction. AOTC - other than the Obi-Wan / Jango Fett smackdown on Kamino - is close to unwatchable for me.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Sarge likes this.
  5. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 8, 2019
    ROS
    TFA

Mange likes this.
  6. greytstar

greytstar Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2015
    1- TROS
    2- TFA
    3- TLJ

Maybe TFA and TLJ are equally bad, but when I saw TFA I still hoped the next movies would not be as bad as the first whilst after watching TLJ I lost all hopes and I had 0 expectations for TROS so that, TROS exceeded my expectations.

Still, all critics and flaws aside, I feel TROS provided the better adventures and entertaining overall, it wasn´t as childish as TLJ and it wasn´t as misterious as TFA. It provided just the necesary explanations in the previous movies.

My conclusion is, ST is a trilogy to enjoy if you first totally forget about OT and try not to ask too many questions or explain the flaws in creative ways

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Mange and someoneinpassing like this.
  7. Adoyyoda

Adoyyoda Jedi Padawan

Dec 31, 2015
    1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. The Rise of Skywalker
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. A New Hope
    7. The Force Awakens
    8. Rogue One
    9. The Last Jedi
    10. The Phantom Menace
    11. Solo

8. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    nm
    voted TLJ

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  9. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    The Force Awakens - yes it's a retread of ANH and it definitely has a few major issues but it was definitely a crowd pleasure and had amazing set up for future movies which unfortunately dropped the ball.

The Rise of Skywalker- I didnt like it, I didnt hate it though. Too much going on and the editing was lackluster. I like many of the story ideas and hooks but nothing felt thought out or had time to breath. Really disappointed that this was the last "Skywalker" film.

The Last Jedi - I never thought I would hate a film, let alone a Star Wars film. I have had the displeasure of sitting through this flick 3 times and that's 3 times too many. I'll die on the hill that this movie ruined the magic and potential of all future Star Wars movies.

MaverickJedi85 and Mange like this.
  10. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    THE LAST JEDI - 8.5/10
    +The emotional backbone of the ST, where our characters (new heroes, and the key OT character) grew in the most significant ways. A proper story that wasn't on 1.5 speed, and had a lot of fresh elements, from the Rey/Kylo facetime, to Kylo killing Snoke, to the Holdo manoeuvre, to Force Projection, and diving into a character journey for the mentor, which I loved.
    -The Holdo/Poe Resistance story was pretty dumb. Poe really should have gone with Finn.
    -Some lackluster visuals (Canto Bite prison, Luke/Kylo Ren fight)

THE FORCE AWAKENS - 8/10
    +Brought SW back to a fun joyous place. So much energy through the performances. Can't be taken for granted.
    +Had enough interesting twists on the OT template, like a stormtrooper main character and a Sith who's tempted by the light.
    -Dock points for some mediocre story points (Starkiller base's existence/destruction, the use of Poe, the unclear power dynamics in the galaxy)

RISE OF SKYWALKER - 6.5/10
    +A ton of fun, continuing what JJ did in TFA.
    +A lot of neat new lore and a few well-executed twists.
    +Rey/Kylo was pretty satisfying, though I would have gone a different direction with it. Well-acted.
    +Some enjoyable fan-service (Luke's X-Wing, Cloud City, etc)
    -A pretty shallow, uninspired, rushed, unsatisfying story that flushes a lot of the ST's potential down the drain and undercuts the OT.

I can still enjoy TROS. But it really should have been so much more.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Darth Chuck Norris and Sarge like this.
  11. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    THE FORCE AWAKENS - 0/10
    A shameless and appalling corporate pillaging of a cultural touchstone. Hands down, the laziest and most unoriginal Star Wars ever. Completely misses the Hero's Journey that made Star Wars endure over time. Atrocious plotting, dreadful characters, disrespects everything about Star Wars except the aesthetics. I will never have the words adequate enough to express how much I hate this vile thing.

THE LAST JEDI - 0.1/10
    The sequel that TFA deserved. 0.1 simply because it sparked the backlash that should have started with TFA and forced LF to make some major changes in strategy that I have found quite pleasing.

RISE OF SKYWALKER - 1/10
    As an organic part of the SW lore and simply on pure storytelling terms, it fails every bit as badly as the rest of the ST. A score of 1 only because it's at least a little bit original than TFA, and it goes so bonkers and camp at the end that it kinda works if you treat it as a parody. If LF does the right thing and declares it to be one rather than part of the canon, I could actually go as high as 7 on this one.

12. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    I dislike them all equally. TFA made SW suffer, TLJ burned it down and TROS tried to extinguish the fire with the gasoline.
    Wonder why there is no such a option in the poll.

13. MaciekRS

MaciekRS Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 15, 2016
    I like them all, I thought all hope is lost after 2005 and those films brought me back to SW.
    TFA 9/10 - I love it, It introduce us to Rey, Poe, Kylo. Love Millenium Falcon stuff, great emotional fight in the end
    TLJ 8/10 - another take on SW and I liked it. Something different is needed. Ahch-To stuff was GREAT, praetorian fight was GREAT, didnt care about Rose/Finn story
    TROS 8/10 - Darker Rey is again great, Poe and Finn are cool, ending was fantastic, I was missing space battle, I hate charge of the light brigade stuff.

I want more Rey, Poe, Finn (NOT force Finn) in some series.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Hm, it's a hard one personally.

TLJ's the brains of the bunch, more ambitious than the Abrams stuff and I felt mostly hit home.

That being said, TROS is just chock-full of lore and I loved the whole Indy-esque structure of the thing, it's probably the most "fun" overall.

Hell, I dig TFA a bunch too, a blast of a film. Guess I'd rank them TLJ/TROS/TFA overall, but there's not all that much daylight between them, up there with the best stuff by the company since '77 all said and done.

15. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    I really like them all, but I'd put TLJ first, then TFA, then TROS.

Iron_lord and themoth like this.
  16. JustASimplePorg

JustASimplePorg Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 6, 2019
    Good post. Here is my opinion on every movie:

THE FORCE AWAKENS
    I love the first hour or so of the movie. It flows very well, and hits a perfect balance between action, drama, comedy and adventure. The story moves along pretty smoothly with the introduction of the new characters and the mistery behind Luke Skywalker, which still gives me shivers; but I always lose attention when the characters arrive at Maz Kanata's cantina. There is a mid point in there where the movie is not about finding Luke Skywalker anymore, but about blowing up yet another death star. It is at this point when all the rehashing and depending on the old formula impacts the movie negatively, even if it still has some good bits here and there.

But, actually, my main problem isn't having a new death star. You can look at ROTJ, and see how different the scenes and the action around the second death star are compared to the ones we get in ANH. However, in TFA they go as far as repeating the trench run, but worse. It thankfully has an ending for the ages, improved by one of the best compositions Williams has done in the sequel trilogy.

Moreover, I personally don't dig all the mistery boxes Abrams likes to play with. It was not necessary to create a mistery around how Maz gets Anakin's lightsaber, who rey parents are, who is snoke and what happened to Luke. It asked too many things, and resolved none of them. It was a huge mistake, one that jeopardized the whole trilogy, since, for most, finding out those answers was more important than the simple experience of watching the new movies.

All in all, it's a blast to watch. It captures the star wars vibe it is supposed to have, and it sets up threads to be explored in the sequels.

And here is when The Last Jedi arrives.

THE LAST JEDI
    I will say it bluntly: if there ever was a "definitive" star wars movie, this one fits the bill. No, I don't think it is the best one in the franchise, but it accepts and captures the best things about both the original trilogy and the prequels. It has the sense of humor and the bleakness of Empire, it has the fairy tale moral of ANH, the horror touches of ROTJ, the social/political critique and the depth of the prequels, and has a good mix of the worldbuilding of both previous trilogies. It may not add a lot in the franchise as a whole, but, when it comes to star wars, it is just as good as it gets.

Contrary to what some say, I think Johnson retakes, improves and develops very wall what Abrams presents in TFA. Rian adds a level of depth to the characters -especially Luke Skywalker- extremely rare in nowadays' blockbusters, and it may very well be the best blockbuster since The Dark Knight, which is saying something. Besides, he turns Ben Solo into one of the best characters in the saga, especially thanks to Adam Driver's sympathetic and wounded portrayal of the character. The script, the visuals, the dialogs, the twists... I could keep talking all day long about all the goodness TLJ has. It is filled with top moments in the franchise, a lot of heartwrenching scenes with a sense of emotion and sensitiveness unseen in the saga. It may have the best performances and direction in any star wars movie yet, with some genuine good surprises.

Yes, I am in love with the movie. It was a huge surprise. I never expected to see a blockbuster of this level under disney's control. And it gave me hope for a better future. For a better kind of pop corn movies. And for a volition of taking the franchise in new directions.

But then The Rise of Skywalker appeared like an elephant in a glassware shop.

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
    Oh my, I don't even know where to start. In fact, I simply won't. I'll apply to myself that which says that, if I don't have anything good to say about something, then don't say anything at all.

Instead, I will talk about the little goodness there is in the movie: I love the craziness of the lightspeed jumps at the beginning. I like the visuals of Exogol and Endor. Adam Driver is... Absolutely great as Kylo Ren and Ben Solo. His transformation is astounding once he gets back to the light. The entire scene in the death star ruins is also great, and possibly the best scene in the movie. If not the only good one.

As for everything else, a huge waste of opportunity.

In summary:

TFA: 6,5/10
    TLJ: 9/10
    TROS: what is the point?

17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    From the feeling I get looking at a lot of these pages I knew TROS would win the poll :

TFA : A Carbon copy of ANH
    TLJ : A Carbon Copy of nothing we have seen before
    TROS : A Carbon Copy Cross between a copy and non copy throwing in fan service

But I still loved them all - I think I need help 8-}

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Chosen One star 9

Nov 20, 2012
    You're in a safe place. We can help you

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  19. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I will never understand the love for TLJ.... and I LIKED the Luke stuff,

Rian Johnson just broke a bunch of stuff and didn't bother to pick up the pieces....TLJ basically wrecked any chance the ST had of being a cohesive story that went somewhere.

I actually liked some of his ideas and the Luke/Rey/Kylo stuff was good... but everything else? Bad, much of it really bad. And you can't just kill off Snoke and then not go anywhere with it FFS. He also did nothing to advance the FO/resistance stuff.

whostheBossk and Twain like this.
  20. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    By not doing anything with the conflict do you mean showing nobody coming to their aid and reducing the Resistance to numbers so small that they could all fit onto the Falcon, eliminating the long-running nebulous perspective on the nunbers the combatants truly have on either side that has plagued most of the episodes?

If the main character drama of the Holdo versus Poe arc was transferred into an Iraq military character drama about a super masculine hot shot top gun pilot being demoted and expecting to be the next leader and instead losing that promotion to a lesbian female boss and the drama being less from the combat out on the battlefield but more the combat that began with both sides assuming the worst of each other and things escalating to mutiny it would probably win awards and be dissected in universities. That’s an art house military film setup right there. There are aspects of some of those concepts in the first and most lauded section of Full Metal Jacket when the drama is all about Drill Sargent Hartman pushing Pile to his absolute limits. Set in the Star Wars universe though the focus moves to “Why didn’t she just tell a lower ranking officer her plan, even though she doesn’t have to, since we like him and not her?” And “Why couldn’t that ___derogatory term for Holdo-‘___be replaced by Ackbar!?”

TROS makes the Luke/Ben/Rey arc even better but it also helps the Poe leadership arc.

People talk about Finn being sidelined but the truth is that Poe Dameron as a character just stole the support role from out under him with his leadership arc struggles, cool guy charm, and piloting heroics. Finn’s best tale as a defected trooper had already been told in TFA and Poe became more interesting as the saga rolled on opposite that. JJ had to make Finn Force sensitive by the end just to compete.

Grey Matter, Sarge and MaverickJedi85 like this.
  21. MaverickJedi85

MaverickJedi85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 16, 2019
    TFA: new setting and ideas 30 years after ROTJ, while trying to replicate the magic of SW/ANH.
    TLJ: Snoke and Luke are gone.
    TROS: Palps was behind it all, end of Rey's arc, Ben's redemption.

black_saber likes this.
  22. MaverickJedi85

MaverickJedi85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 16, 2019
    People seriously like TLJ better than TFA?

TFA was a Han Solo masterpiece.

23. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    Looking at the poll, it is interesting how split the results are. I feel like the PT would have a much clearer favorite (ROTS) and maybe even the OT (ESB). Just interesting to see how the ST reflects how different ppl get different things from star wars

24. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Why so surprised? That opinion's been expressed all over the place here since release.

25. scottyxander

scottyxander Jedi Knight

Oct 20, 2015
    The Force Awakens - Overall kinda decent as a Star Wars movie and gave me hope that Disney would actually do good things with the franchise. Especially seen as Rogue One turned out to be pretty good after this. I gave them a pass for essentially making A New Hope 2.0 because well it's their first movie and I guess they wanted to play it a little safe. I will say though that Kylo Ren being the villain was set up for failure from the very beginning. You can't have Rey best him in the first movie when SHE LITERALLY FINDS OUT SHE'S FORCE SENSITIVE IN THE SAME MOVIE. Even Finn looks decent against him which is laughable. Seriously, who thought that was a good idea? From that moment on he is no longer a threat and his character is a joke. 7/10

The Last Jedi - Meh. I don't hate it like most people do but it does have serious issues. I was hoping for this one to be the dud in the ST but nope, the next one truly takes the cake. 5/10

The Rise of Skywalker - The worst Star Wars movie ever made and it's not even close. I really, really, really tried to enjoy this movie and I just couldn't. The amount of plot holes is way too much to look past. They're blatantly in your face. How did the script for this ever get the green light? I could pick out any random member on this forum to write Episode 9 and they would have done a much better job with the scraps that Rian Johnson left.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019