main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: Rate/Rank/Compare The ST Films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Glitterstimm, Dec 24, 2019.

?

What's Your Favorite ST Film? - Poll

1. The Rise of Skywalker

109 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. The Last Jedi

115 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. The Force Awakens

127 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. I like them all equally!

16 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    The audience score for TROS on RT is a 86% -- tied with TFA and higher than TLJ and all the PT movies.

Along with TFA, the audience ranks TROS as the highest rated Saga film since the Original Trilogy.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't think that 86% has changed.

Mr. Forest likes this.
  3. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, they froze the verified audience score in the first weekend of release. However, the normal audience score has dropped to a 78% again.

Plus, they’ve been removing a lot of scores under two stars, or at least they did for the first two weeks of release. I’ve entered in my score three times and all three times they been been removed. Besides Captain Marvel, all my other scores for other movies and shows have remained.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Without wanting it to sound like an obvious question, why would RT be removing scores under 2 stars?

5. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Nobody is removing anything. It is just how mathematics work.

As the sample size becomes larger, averages will settle.

If RT had a decimal point after the average rating, then you would be seeing some small changes.

rocknroll41 and Sarge like this.
  6. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    TFA and TRoS are still nearly neck-and-neck for me, but at the end of the day, I still have to go with TRoS. It beats TFA for me just by a hair for mainly one reason; it “cleaned up” more than it needed to, in ways I appreciated, as a longtime fan of the saga. I know a lot of people disliked the movie for feeling like it was just a “clean up” project, and I honestly understand and respect that opinion. However, for me personally, I feel all the “cleaning up”’ actually worked to the movie’s advantage.

For instance, the movie didn’t really NEED to backtrack on Leia’s past and retcon her into being a former pupil of Luke’s, but did so nonetheless. And as someone who wanted to see Leia as a Jedi, I really appreciated that.* That’s just a microcosm example of why I put TRoS just ever-so-slightly above TFA, tho.

I still stand by what I originally said, which is that TFA is the better-made movie all-around, but TRoS has the better moments. I’ll take the better moments over the better movie, in this case, but again, that’s just my personal call, I suppose.

*EDIT: I just realized that this means we might get some New-EU material covering Leia’s one year as a Jedi apprentice!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  7. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    This.

I'll give TRoS credit though; I really didn't think it was possible for a sequel film to be worse than TFA, but here we are.

Darth PJ likes this.
  8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    TROS is a better movie second time - I suggest those who have seen it only once and gave a so so review then give it another go it makes more sense and you pick up on more things in a second viewing.

So glad TROS is still leading this poll =D=[face_dancing][face_party]

9. callmejoe

callmejoe Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2015
    1. TLJ as a film it is most interesting. Even though I'm a Luke fan and would liked a more positive ending for the character I do appreciate the themes of failure, legends vs reality, legacy, and deconstruction of the Jedi. Finn and Poe also have good arcs even if not executed perfectly. Its also visually great. It has its problems of course and
    2. TFA A perfectly competent film but thats it. Kylo Ren is pretty good I guess but other than that it really doesn't add anything.
    3. TROS Too much, too late. As a film its just overstuffed and as a saga really just troughs everything under the bus, this was partially true for TFA for deciding to hit the reset button and do rebels vs empire again, partially TLJ too, but this really is twisting the knife in.

fugacity, dinnertime and JeanNo like this.
  10. relapse5127

relapse5127 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    I will go with
    TFA
    TROS

daylight
    TLJ

As other have said, TROS definitely needs to be seen twice to really get everything out of it, I enjoyed it the first time and even more the 2nd time, but ultimately TFA is still the best of the new trilogy.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  11. fugacity

fugacity Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2018
    Nailed it.

I think the fact that I always wanted the grand master awesome Luke and never got it was a bummer. But TLJ chose the hard path that deals with far more interesting themes that actually make an extension of Luke's story make any sense. It's right for better stories and the future of the franchise and TROS fell over itself "correcting" for it and hopefully not (but possibly) sealing the fate of any future saga to blandness. We'll see.

I've said it a few times in these forums this past week - watch TLJ after TROS. You will be blown away at the film in comparison. It makes TROS feel like a transformers film, which is exactly how it was paced.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    TROS is top by only one vote over TLJ - please don't let TLJ got top [face_nail_biting]

13. Jedi Historian

Jedi Historian Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    TROS--just saw it for the fifth (and final) time in the theatre yesterday. When I was a small child, and into the prequel era, Empire was the only Star Wars film that ever got an emotional reaction out of me. I always felt a twist of the knife as Leia watches Lando and Chewie pilot the Falcon away from the Rebel fleet...

However, TROS has a few equally potent emotional moments for me, the foremost being Ben's redemption--a plot point I did not desire before December 19th, and actively dreaded after reading some of the leaks. But Ford, Driver and Ridley sell it well--I get choked up every time. For that feat alone, TROS wins.

14. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Whilst I personally think TFA is the poorest, I would expect (if we were to have this poll in 12 months time) TROS to be at the bottom.

15. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    ROTJ was also widely seen as the worst of the OT but it also helps bring ANH & TESB into one whole and has a ton of emotionally charged high points and so I suspect TROS will be viewed similarly for this ST.

16. fugacity

Jun 7, 2018
    And in a few year TLJ will age very well. With a little distance from the outrage, people will realize what it did so well.

Just like how ESB didn't fly for a lot ob people - it's a very different movie, jarringly so. It doesn't feel like a star war movie in comparison to ANH. But years later it's clear that it's new direction and feel was what set the tone for the future of the franchise.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I doubt that.

18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    The Empire Strikes Back was a hugely popular film and was also pushing the boundaries of the form, in terms of what people were seeing on screen. Of course it felt like Star Wars, given that in 80, it was only the second SW film in existence... the only real difference being that it clearly had a bigger production budget/was more lavish, wasn't an overt 'feel good' film and didn't resolve itself in the same way ANH did... It would be true to say that, when TESB was released, the popular consensus was that ANH was still the better/more enjoyable film, but that's not the same as TESB being regarded as contentious or reception being mixed... it was hugely popular, and most people hadn't seen anything like TESB on the big screen before.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Sarge and HevyDevy like this.
  19. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    You are entitled to your opinion but "The Last Jedi" is no "Empire Strikes Back".

Like, ESB is the closest thing to a perfect movie in the franchise.

I can't think of a sequel that so expertly expanded the scope of, and even improved upon, an original film.

TLJ is not bad but it isn't enough of a SW feeling Ep8. It strays too far from TFA, and the other saga films, and I don't feel grounded at the end like I have been brought back and the journey was worth it.

ESB's ending is pure magic.

Vasco_Rojo and Darth PJ like this.
  20. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Ranking the ST films is a bit difficult for me since my feelings about whether TFA or TLJ is the better film tend to flip-flop, but ranking them as I see them today:

1) TROS: My clear-cut favorite film of the ST. I enjoyed the fact that Rey, Finn, and Poe finally felt like a true trio in this film. I loved the scenes where Rey trained under Leia. Hux being a traitor was a cool concept even if it could've been developed a bit more. Jannah and her legion of deserters was great as was her instant connection with Finn based on their shared sense of innate morality. There were some amusing scenes with Threepio. It was rewarding to have Luke admit he was wrong to isolate himself on Ach-To and that a Jedi's weapon deserved to be treated with respect rather than tossed around like trash. The parts of Kylo's redemption that related to his parents worked for me, which in a sense is a triumph given that I expected no part of Kylo's redemption to work for me. Not a perfect film that definitely had some pacing issues due to structural and planning issues with the ST as a whole, but to me, it was the best of the ST batch.

2) TLJ: I rank TLJ higher than TFA because I think it aspires to be more even though it doesn't necessarily succeed with what it sets out to do. There is an attempt to explore some deeper philosophical ideas that is to me more intellectually engaging than TFA. The best scene for me is probably the one where Luke instructs Rey to reach out in the Force and she feels its Dark and Light aspects on the island. I know a lot of people disliked it, but for me, there was something profound about that scene. TFA never quite had that same sense of the profound to me.

3) TFA: To me, it established a lot of the derivative and depressed feeling that the ST was never quite able to shake off even if I did like the new characters of Rey, Finn, and Poe that were introduced.

Sarge, HevyDevy and Iron_lord like this.
  21. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I don't really think TLJ is on ESB's level necessarily, but I do absolutely think in a couple years it'll be looked on as the most groundbreaking/interesting of the 3, which for many will translate into "best". IMO it's the only one that really tries to expand on the SW mythos and brand. In this sense I don't agree with the tone complaints ("it doesn't feel like SW") at all, I think the innovative approach recalls Lucas's style far more than the other two while the other two feel mostly like soulless imitations. TFA is at least well constructed with good characters though. TROS doesn't really have anything to offer....I do not think it'll hold up.

Also for all intents and purposes the poll is basically tied between the 3. I think TROS will sink as we move further from its release date.

22. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    As a little time has passed, I still have it as TLJ then far down its TROS and finally TFA.

I think realized that JJ Abrams' style doesn't work for me. He comes up with ideas that conceptually sound exciting but, I don't know there's just something in his execution that makes his movies feel very sterile. I feel the same way about Star Trek and Into Darkness (though I quite like ST:ID for some reason). I think the one film I legitimately like as a whole is MI:3.

JeanNo likes this.
  23. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Amazing to see so many good reviews for TROS when, IMO, it is the poorest movie not only of this trilogy but also from the whole saga. I mean, even the prequels were more logical than Episode IX (actually thanks to TROS, I have a new perspective and appreciation towards Episode II and III, my least favorite SW flicks.) And I agree about that TLJ will come to age much better than the other two. And to answer to @HevyDevy: no, TLJ is no TESB: it's better, so much deeper and thoughtful (wonderful acting jobs from Driver and Hamill) plus those truely amazing visuals. So, for me:

3- TROS (pure frantic nonsense)
    2- TFA (fun and a good introduction to the new characters)
    1- TLJ

24. fugacity

Jun 7, 2018
    I never meant it will be though of as highly as TESB, but it will look far better given time. Because it's a good film. We'll get used to Star Wars not being the Luke Skywalker show one day, and people that didn't grow up with him see will how good the choices were and how enhanced the actual character ended up.

And in a few years we'll think "TROS really didn't stick the landing". Luke could have come out of TROS as a real legend without being the hero of the trilogy. They somehow decided not to do that.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  25. callmejoe

callmejoe Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2015
    This is something that dissapointed me. I really wish they bit the bullet and grappled or even built on the themes of TLJ. People say TLJ ruined Luke but TFA made him into a failure and then TLJ comes along and says "he may have failed, but he did good too and is the spark of hope the galaxy needed". Now ROS doesn't build of off this. It's idea of Luke is him doing some powerful force stuff for a minute. All JJ films are just OT but with more stuff/better effects without the substance behind it.