main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Rey in an X-wing ever? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ender_and_Bean, Jan 12, 2018.

?

Do you want to see Rey in an X-Wing?

1. A) Yes. Luke took to it quickly. Anakin was a great pilot. She’s shown she can fly well.

2. B) No. She has the Falcon and I like Poe as the top pilot based on his training. There’s no need.

3. C) Not sure. I’d accept it if they were desperate & she had to jump into one. That’s probably it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Rey has yet to fly an X-Wing as the hero the way Luke did. She’s never made that big shot moment versus the enemy the way he did. I’m not saying they need to be the same. Just pointing out a notable difference there so far through 2 films. I think it’s cool that her hand to hand combat background on Jakku put her ahead of Luke in that area and don’t mind him being better suited to X-wings and a good shot based on that being an interest of his from adolescence.

They’ve sort of had Poe fill the elite X-Wing pilot role of Luke and Wedge. That’s not to say Rey hasn’t been able to fly awesome ships. She’s clearly flown the Falcon and shown her creativity and control doing so. She seems to not mind using the quad laser cannon role either.

So, what do you think? Keep it as is and that remaining a notable difference? Or have her fly one before the end of IX?

Vote.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    Interesting topic...I went with option C, but ideally option B is how they'll go. I'd like to see Finn in an X-Wing. He seemed to take to piloting the skimmer pretty quickly.

3. jtantley

jtantley Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2018
    Probably not but you never know. The Millennium Falcon is as much a Star Wars character as any of the cast, and now Rey and Chewie are the Falcon's co-pilots. I expect she'll be on her feet most of the time during EpIX, and her pilot time will have to be with the Falcon to give it its screen time.

4. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    She seems most comfy in the Falcon. Leave the X-winging to Poe

5. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    We have a chance to see her and Chewie grow closer as long as she's in the Falcon. It hasn't really happened yet. The process started in TFA once Han died but he seemed more interested in Porgs in VIII, while Rey was off involved with Kylo and Luke.

In ESB Leia was shown to be very close to Chewie with a few unspoken gestures. I'd love something similar to be cemented by JJ in this next one. All it takes is a warm pat or hug.

In truth Luke went into an x-wing from a storytelling perspective to further build his relationship with R2.

Poe already has BB8, though.

Nah. I prefer to see Rey as the captain of the Falcon.

6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    No womp rats on Jakku

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am going with a no on this one.

8. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    No. I like that Rey doesn't have to be a fighter pilot.

9. modaubr

modaubr Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    If i remember correctly, in the art of TFA, there is a concept of Rey slicing a destroyer using her lightsaber, while seated in her X-Wing.
    So why not ?

10. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Obi-Wan was a capable pilot but didn’t seem to love it the way the Skywalkers did. He’d do it when he had to for function but it wasn’t fun for him. Rey seems to be a little like that. Could be a Kenobi thing perhaps... ;)

11. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    But wasn't that before the writers decided to let her have the Falcon?

12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    She will always have the edge over normal pilots, just like Kylo, and it doesn't really matter what she flies. Therefore, if there's a need for her to fly an X-wing, then so be it.

Driving the Skimmer you mean?
    "He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  13. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    I'm more indifferent on this. I think she either needs to stay with the Falcon, or acquire her own iconic ship. I'm not one of the "It's a reboot" people, but why give someone another reason to make the claim. Avoid the issue and either leave her in the Falcon, or put her in another ship all together.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would love to see her in an X-wing and fighting the First Order. There is room for more than one great pilot in the Star Wars universe so her being in an X-wing would not steal thunder from Poe.

I wouldn’t object to her continuing as pilot of the Falcon or having her own ship either.

Cave of Erised likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd like to see her as a pilot because I think it'd help to show that she's an actual part of the Resistance now. She isn't just the Force using new new hope. Obviously during the final battle she'll likely be doing Force stuff but there could be a smaller battle somewhere in the film where we get to see her in an X-Wing. It'd be cool if she were Poe's wingman.

16. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With her transition more away from flying beyond emergency situations I’m wondering if they’re prepping for a possible grandparental lineage tie-in.

Not having her love piloting the way Anakin & Luke do would be one such parallel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    oncafar likes this.
  17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I went with C cause I think she could do it decently, but I would prefer if we had a point that certain people are amazing prodigies at flying certain ships while only being moderate with others. I think that (no pun intended) grounds the character as well as making the flying that character is good at all the more impressive, cause you can assume that other great pilots we see may not be able to come even close with that type of ship. So Rey could not keep up much in a snubfighter, but Poe would be unable to contend in a dogfight while in the Falcon. Makes you appreciate their skills all the more

18. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    If there were any downed X-Wings on Jakku, it would be totally in character for Rey to have investigated it, and possibly even scrapped it for parts. It's what we assume she did with the Falcon, which gave her some kind of rudimentary knowledge on how to pilot it. So I assume she could do the same for an X-Wing, assuming there was a downed one on Jakku. That said, for the movie, I don't see it working. I just don't see the circumstances bringing her to a point where she has to get into an X-Wing and pilot it.

However, in all seriousness, that sounds like it could be a great plot devise for some episodes of Forces of Destiny. I think it would fit that context much better, and I don't mean that as a put off in any way.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Forces of Destiny episode with Rey and Finn co-piloting a speeder was one of the best, if not the best.

20. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    I think an X-Wing would be a practical option at one point; the millennium falcon is distinct and thus arguably paints more of a target on its back. Thus, depending on the mission, it might be more advantageous to hide in plain sight as just another fighter. Also, I could see Rey piloting an X-Wing while Lando and L3 are united once more.

21. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    I voted for option A, I would like to see her in an X-wing and then she and Poe could joke about which of the two is the best pilot.

22. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Well, there's an obvious answer to that one...

Akane likes this.
  23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm perfectly fine with Poe being the one we see do all the fancy X-Wing flying. I've enjoyed what we've seen from him so far...

24. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    I kind of liked that the Force hero isn't obligatory X-wing pilot.

vncredleader likes this.
  25. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    I think Finn is more likely to be shown as an X-Wing ace in this movie. After 2 movies of him not being able to fly/struggling to, he will have learnt from the best (Poe) and now be a total hotshot. Rey will have the Falcon (with Lando joining the crew, possibly...) and use it against Kylo.