main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: The OT Characters In The Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AnakinTheChosenOne, Oct 30, 2019.

Tags:
?

Are you happy with what the OT heroes accomplished for the sequel era?

1. Yes

25.1%
  2. No

74.9%
  1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @jaimestarr I can get why Han and Leia's relationship as portrayed in TFA could work for you and for some other fans since you certainly aren't the only one for whom their relationship as depicted in TFA worked. I would agree with you that they still seem to have a certain love, affection, and understanding for one another that I think does shine through in their interactions in TFA. There were even some lines exchanged between them that I thought were pretty perfect like when Leia said to Han that no matter how much they fought she always hated seeing him leave. That to me did fit with their relationship how I pictured it quite well, so it rang very true to me and brought a sort of sad smile to my face the first time I heard it in theaters.

I also will agree that it's certainly realistic and true to life to have a couple split up, and I might even have been okay with it if it wasn't accompanied by all the other bleakness of them only having one child and that one child going to the Dark Side and slaughtering the new Jedi Order before taking part in the destruction of the New Republic Leia had built. It was just to me too much of a case of tragedy piled on top of tragedy for it to work for me. I've used the Titanic comparison in the past of maybe one or two of these concepts with the OT characters might have worked fine for me in the same way the Titanic would've been able to stay afloat with one or two compartment flooded, but when all these to me depressing concepts were used, it was like the ST's treatment of these characters to me sunk same as the Titanic did when too many compartments flooded. I do understand that may not be the case for everyone, but it was very much the case for me though I wish it were otherwise.

Jedi Ben and Jedi_Fenrir767 like this.
  2. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    I hear what you are saying. For some, flashbacks of Luke's fall weren't enough. Also, I think that Lucasfilm really underestimated the fact that, for A LOT of fans, the EU/postROTJ Luke was very impactful. For better or worse, the creators of TLJ aren't just dealing with who Luke was in Episodes 4-6, they are essentially having to negate EU Luke. Problem is, regardless of the "official canon", many fans had this vision of post ROTJ Luke for 20+ years. The fact that he is different is in TLJ is a bitter pill for some to swallow.

*The writer of Rocky 3 is the same person who wrote all of the Rocky films....Sylvester Stallone. I think that he is totally underrated as a talent. People lump him together with Ahnold, but Stallone is a better actor and more of an artist.

I get your point. That said, the OT characters are family. They are connected as such. So, a family tragedy was bound to affect all of them in various ways. Considering what happened with Kylo Ren, how would any of them (Han, Luke, Leia) be okay?

I think this is the challenge of creating a new trilogy. ROTJ was a "happily ever after" ending. Any sequel* was going to undo this.

My favorite (by far) EU work is Dark Empire. It just felt and read the most like "authentic Star Wars." That said, Luke joins the Dark Side and serves The Empire. It is completely out of character and flies in the face of what happened/Luke's characterization in the OT. I didn't care because I was so happy to have this story/sequel with Dark Empire.

So, it's a tradeoff....you want a sequel to the ST? Yes? Well, what bad thing(s) is going to have to happen to our OT heroes?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    fugacity and Miles Lodson like this.
  3. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    To me, SW’s world is not really that interesting to explore... it all seems like gobity gook. But it does work as set dressing for the chemistry and relationship between Han, Luke and Leia fighting the bad guys with their trusted friends. That is why I had no interest in the prequels, let alone that I felt they were terrible clunky movies on their own.
    So for the sequel trilogy, it only works as a continuation of the Han, Leia, Luke dynamic. For me it’s more if Friends or Seinfeld did a reunion, both shows wouldn’t work as Friends/Seinfeld: The Next Generation. I mean, if that’s the case, put a Rey, Finn and Poe character and make a scinfinfantasy space series where the audience is like, Ohhh this is like a throwback to Star Wars and Flash Gordon, how refreshing. (But I get it’s a business and has to be attached to a proven brand.)
    But none of these next generation things I feel have ever worked.... and TV shows seems to be doing them all the time in the last decade, and they’re all fleeting, with most viewers just wanting the original leads back or excited for their cameos.
    I’ve said it before and will say, er post it again... there was the potential of something so strong with bringing back the three leads and keeping it their story. They have the audience so focus groups wouldn’t matter. They had the chance to show us kids turning middle aged and losing that dreamer quality that we CAN still be kids, CAN still have adventures like Han, Luke and Leia. And kids seeing these movies would also have the strong impression that heroes don’t have to look 20-28 all the time. They can have wrinkles, a little extra poundage, some grey hair.
    And it would show that even when there is happily ever after, there is always the good fight to fight and to keep struggling. I think it could’ve been beautiful.
    As it is, I like what they did with the three in their stations in life, as a starting out point for the new trilogy. Just wish it was the starting off point and they all get back together.
    The most successful scene for me so far has been so simple... Han and Leia facing off on that jungle planet, with 3PO popping his head in, and Chewie hugging Leia. So simple, yet movie magic. Or Luke entering a two-shot frame with Leia and gently taking her hand. These moments work.

4. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @jaimestarr First I do want to say that I am enjoying this conversation with you because I feel like you've been very respectful stating your points and perspectives. Part of what I joined here for is to talk to people with different viewpoints as well as people who share my opinions, so it's good to have this kind of dialogue for me. Sometimes my opinions can even change because of conversations like this. I may seem stubborn, but I have been known to change my perspectives once or twice:) So, on that note, I'll continue the conversation by saying this:

I agree that Luke, Han, and Leia are all family by blood and marriage so it makes sense for a family tragedy like Ben Solo/Kylo Ren falling to the Dark Side to effect them all. I just think that the effects could have been a bit less extreme. Like maybe instead of having Ben Solo be Han and Leia's only child (that we know of at any rate), give him a sibling who can remain on the Light Side, or instead of having Han and Leia split up in the aftermath of their son's fall to the Dark Side have them stick together to deal with the pain together. Likewise, instead of having all of Luke's Jedi students prior to TFA fall to the Dark Side or be killed, have some of them remain on the Light Side and maybe fight alongside Luke against Kylo, Snoke, and the Knights of Ren. That especially would actually be a more exciting plot to me than the galaxy being back to having only four Force users again.

To me, a Sequel Trilogy that focused on the struggles of establishing a new Jedi Order and a New Republic rather than just basically starting with the premise that they were reduced to nothing so we can have what to me amounts to a repeat of the Empire versus Rebel plot that I already saw done better in the OT. So, I feel there was a plot without going to the sort of nuclear option of destroying the New Republic and the Jedi Order, and to me that plot would've been more compelling that what to me regularly feels like a rehash of the OT's greatest hits.

I guess for me there was a lot of middle ground between not having a plot because the OT had a happy ending and having it feel to me like everything the heroes and heroines of the OT had accomplished had gone the way of the dodo bird in less than a generation, an extinction hastened by Han and Leia's only son to boot.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It was not necessary to negate the happily ever after of ROTJ. I reject that notion completely. It only takes the slightest imagination to dispel that notion.

You can even have the troubled son of Han and Leia and still avoid negating the happy ending. Ben can still have difficulties with Han, with Han not understanding him, the Force, or the Skywalker legacy, and still keep the happy ending. It’s simple. Many fathers are unable to understand their sons, especially those with different talents. The blue collar, grease monkey father may struggle to understand his artist son (was this not the case between George Lucas and his father? George wanted to be an artist, his dad wanted him to take over the family business?) This can result in distance or estrangement. That alone brings drama and conflict. It doesn’t need to lead to patricide, or Ben falling to the dark side. You can have Jedi Ben Solo struggle to connect with his father, struggle to live up to the Skywalker legacy, struggle to deal with a galaxy so different from the one his parents and uncle grew up under, and not fall to the dark side, much less murder his own father. Not only can you do this, but imo it’s a better idea. The “destroy everything” idea isn’t better, imo. It’s not necessary, desirable, or fitting the ST’s place in the saga, imo.

I never wanted a Sequel Trilogy, but you can have one that doesn’t shatter the happy ending of ROTJ so brutally, doesn’t destroy the OT heroes so thoroughly and depressingly, and still have conflict, drama, and even bad things happen to our heroes. There’s plenty of middle ground between something bad happening to you and patricide and the utter destruction of everything you’ve spent your life fighting for. There’s plenty of bad things that can happen that don’t go as far as that, and those bad things can provide enough drama to make entertaining movies.

6. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    I understand what you are saying. I don't know for sure, but I think that (because of The Prequels) there was a big push to get back to what the OT was all about. Maybe they pushed too far, but I don't think so. Furthermore, there was a concentrated effort to jettison the EU (which is very similar to what you are describing) and bring bits that worked* back in piece by piece. Thanks for the talk. :)

*Example: Thrawn is now canon and I love it.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think they’ve proven they don’t have the slightest clue as to what the OT was about. I think both TFA and TLJ prove this.

If they were trying to jettison the EU, they ironically ended up having a lot in common with the least liked elements of Legends. More Death Stars and superweapons? Check. The Empire hanging around forever? The FO is just the Empire again. X-Wings vs TIE fighters and Star Destroyers decades after ROTJ? Check. Inability to pass the torch to the next generation? See TLJ. Too much grim darkness? See TFA and TLJ. Jacen Solo turning into Darth Caedus? See Kylo Ren.

8. fugacity

fugacity Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2018
    Whose the bad-guy in the version of an ST where the republic and Jedi order are intact but struggling?

It only makes sense to make this the continuation of the central conflict of the ST and OT. It's the story of the rise and fall of the empire. This is the aftermath of the fall of the empire. I think they legitimately had to break some things to make that happen. I don't see it making sense with any kind of Jedi order with Luke in charge.

Taking Luke out of commission and getting rid of the Republic and makes room for the FO to be the continuation of the empire, and thus makes room for the ST to be the final chapter of the galactic empire conflict.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The bad guy could be someone or a group from outside the galaxy. I loved the Vong as villains.

10. fugacity

Jun 7, 2018
    It would make it not the saga.
    I don't think anybody, including Lucas, was ever going to do this. It seems very Trek.

11. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    To answer the bolded, you can even still have the First Order only instead of it annihilating the New Republic in the first movie, have it actually competing with the New Republic for power in the galaxy. That's a conflict right there. You can have Snoke and have him still be the one who tempted Ben Solo to the Dark Side. You can still have Kylo Ren (formerly Ben Solo) as a villain and actually delve into his Knights of Ren as adversaries against a Jedi Order. I see plenty of bad guys and conflict in that scenario.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There is nothing “not the saga” about Skywalker heroes and their allies fighting against a different villain.

13. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    I dunno. Things like the Yuuzhan Vong always seemed like a very scifi (Star Trek) element tacked on to a fairytale/fantasy story. I feel as if many of the EU novels (even Tim Zahn's first trilogy) seemed to be missing something essential to the saga. It's like the Joseph Campbell/heroic journey had been scrubbed away from these novels.

I've said it before, but my favorite EU thing was Dark Empire. That's not just because The Emperor was back, it's because it maintained the Dark Side vs Light family drama. I think Star Wars is deceptively simple, but really easy to get "not quite right."

14. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    This is already "not the saga".

They could go deep into the lore established already as canon in TCW and produce extraordinary villains and movies. The Son, The Daughter and the Father could be an amazing source for stories. GL's ideas for the microbiotic world give you a whole different level of Force lore. An ancient hidden threat that has been waiting in the shadows (instead of Palpatine - the easy way out of a narrative dead end) could have been a great villain. A mystical will of the Force that for whatever reason gives birth to dark side users across the galaxy, another one. The remnant of the Empire with Palpatine returning and Kylo Ren turning against his family is for me the least imaginative route. So much potential without deconstructing anyone.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah. Sure they talked of biotech but the way NJO used it was far closer to magic - one of the biggest schisms at the time over NJO in part was due to the reluctance of the writers to actually set any kind of scientific limits on what the Vong tech could and couldn't do. Often the way it worked was because the story said so, which works OK for fantasy but not SF.

16. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I wonder how Lucas would have brought this idea to cinema. Would he have full-sized characters that are able to manipulate microbiology? Would some characters be microbiotic organisms? Would Lucas have given names to the microbiotic organisms? Would viruses and germs play a role in this new level of world-building? He could have fleshed out something that eventually made sense with Lucasfilm conceptual artists.

EDIT: And then would there be microbiotic organisms that correlate to Original Trilogy characters? Microbiotic Luke? Microbiotic Leia? Is there a battle at the microbiotic level that offers another level of light side versus dark side? If so, what can this tell us about the *REAL world we live in on Earth?

I won't know until I see Episode 9 and it resolves all the tension that has built up. Strong feelings on this but only after I watch Ep. 9.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  17. jaimestarr

Sep 13, 2004
    This is more accurate. I guess what I am getting at is, to me, they weren't very Star Wars-y at all.

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Avengers Endgame is the highest grossing film of all time and it had the Quantum Realm, which, allowed people to go back in time.

19. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    This feels disengenuous, even though I actually would probably still prefer “Imperial Revanchists” as the enemy faction of the ST as well, and I completely disagree that a functioning Republic and nascent Jedi Order are non-starters.

There are numerous types of fresh villainous factions you could create or rally as the primary antagonists aside from Imperial repeats, even without getting into more esoteric and creative ideas like the Yuuzahn Vong: Mandalorian warlords and clans, a rival anti-Imperial government to the New Republic that’s more authoritarian in nature even of it comes from a similar place (think like the Soviet Union to the Empire’s Nazi Germany), or Cyborg armies combining clone troopers with droid enhancements (like a revamped version of Atha Prime from the Kenner plans for a Star Wars sequel.)

However, fundamentally, the biggest issue hurting the Galactic conflict as portrayed in TFA and TLJ is that the desire to recreate the *exact* set-up for the First Order and the Resistance, even down to trying to again have only one Jedi, just led to an uninspired, predictable, and ultimately repetitive main “War” in our “Star Wars.” And even just a little originality and ambition would have allowed the ST to exploit the advantages of both the PT and OT.

First off, Keeping the heroes at some degree of strength means you have to try and genuinely write the bad guys in a dangerous way - comletent heroes with resources means your villains have to be clever, ruthless, and at least somewhat skilled, which makes them more intimidating and allows for better dramatic tension when the villains win. If, say, Hux and the First Order fleet proved their mettle and engaged a Republic fleet and successfully defeated it in an epic battle, they become more intimidating and *useful* in making the heroes’ little victories and too-close-escapes mean something - especially if Hux and co. win a few battles where they’re outnumbered and resort to either a greater technological advantage or cunning strategies.

Likewise, if there were more Jedi, you could “feed” Kylo some of his former peers to help establish him as a more effective villain and more interesting character - arguably, since he’s supposed to be a dynamic, growing villain, he would benefit the most from having some Jedi enemies to defeat. It would also give Rey someone to prove herself against in comparison. Have someone early on set a bar for what the best active Jedi is supposed to be, then have Rey pass it.

Also, you’d gain a larger and more epic scale to the battles, whether in Space, on the ground, or in lightsaber duels. That’s a good thing for creative writers and choreographers.

And all this, before pointing out that allowing the OT heroes to have a legacy that can be defended, even if it’s not a complete one, allows for a better dramatic link between the stories.

20. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I still find it incredible that we never got a scene with the OT3 reunited, it just doesn't make sense. In retrospect, I think I knew the ST was doomed when they killed Han before Luke showed up. It was just way too soon, and crystalized the project's cannibalistic attitude towards the source material.

As to the debate over the "big threat", I don't think there actually needed to be any massive military faction to rival the New Republic like a new empire or Yuzann Vong. The ST could have been focused on the new generation of Jedi under Luke, and the temptations/disagreements they face during adventures across the GFFA. There could be a Sith conspiracy looming in the background, as well as a rogue's gallery of villains trying to pull off heists in the post-Empire chaos. There was no need to recreate the Rebels vs Empire dynamic.

I see people bring up the legendary "microbiotic world" that Lucas was supposedly working. That quote is used out of context, a lot. He wasn't talking about the characters shrinking down into little submarines and flying through blood vessels. He was talking about a spiritual/biological storyline, something more interested in the philosophical themes of the OT. That's what I found most disappointing about Luke in TLJ, it never felt like the character was actually ruminating on the spiritual aspect of Star Wars, just faking introspection and regret.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  21. fugacity

Jun 7, 2018
    I completely disagree with this. The saga is more than the continuing adventures of somebody named Skywalker.

No galactic civil war, no saga. No sith v. jedi no saga. Those are the core of what makes the saga the saga.

MarcJordan and TCF-1138 like this.
  22. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    There haven't been any Sith so far in the ST, however. Snoke wasn't a Sith. Kylo Ren wasn't a Sith. The Knights of Ren aren't Sith.

23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    To put it bluntly, no Anakin (especially played by Hayden Christensen) in TROS is pretty much a deal-breaker for me. That and Rey not being a Skywalker, even if she's a Palpatine.

Iron_lord and Glitterstimm like this.
  24. AnakinTheChosenOne

AnakinTheChosenOne Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2019
    Yup, deal-breaker for me too!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  25. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Palpatine coming back was the deal-breaker for me.