main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: The OT Characters In The Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AnakinTheChosenOne, Oct 30, 2019.

Tags:
?

Are you happy with what the OT heroes accomplished for the sequel era?

1. Yes

25.1%
  2. No

74.9%
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This isn't the place to discuss TROS - the words "Released Films" mean exactly what you'd think.

2. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    I loved the compassion between all the Legacy characters for their respective difficulties. Especially between Luke and Leia. This dynamic was clear to me. Luke was heart broken and torn that he failed with Ben, but most particularly because he was Leia's son. I understood it as I have a very close relationship with my own sister. We don't interfere with each others lives but are actually very close.

This is ultimately the respect Leia i think understood about Luke. She knew he was sorry but didn't let it become a cause of friction. Subjective I suppose but I was emotionally involved with the issues between the Three. When Luke told Ben " I'll always be with you. Just like your father" it showed me that Luke needed to let Ben know, he (Luke's) and Han's bond could not be broken. It will still be Ben in conflict within himself. This also was the clue that Luke was not going to stop his own death even if he could. Hence Peace and Purpose despite the failures.

I think Leia understood it “we have everything we need”.

MJ

3. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Leia didnt know Luke caused Kylo based on the lead up to Rise of Skywalker canon book that just came out. for whatever reason, Disney decided Luke just didnt ever confront her about it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  4. DARTH FATHEAD

DARTH FATHEAD Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2013
    Well they killed Han and Luke. Han became a dead beat Dad and Luke did a complete 180 personality wise. Leia wasn't really used and sadly can't be now. I think what they did to the OT characters was an utter disgrace killing them off and deliberately showing them in a bad light just so they can big up the new characters (which I cared nothing for).

Considering what we got I would have preferred if the ST was set in the future after the OT cast had passed away. Anyone who gets the OT cast back together for a new SW movie then doesn't even have them together on screen should not have been allowed near the ST.

5. fugacity

fugacity Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2018
    Does anybody really not think that Han and Luke were going to die in any version? George would have killed off both.

It's their epilogue. If they aren't dead, then the door is left open for more adventures. It was always going to happen.

jaimestarr likes this.
  6. AnakinTheChosenOne

AnakinTheChosenOne Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 25, 2019
    I don't think killing them is the problem here, I think I was the way they were characterized. They either went back to pre ANH or completely did a 180 from their characterization in ROTJ. Killing them off was inevitable.

DARTH FATHEAD likes this.
  7. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I don't think all 3 would have died in a sequel trilogy orchestrated by George Lucas or anyone else. I think that Luke would be the one to die heroically at the end of episode 9, at worst. And I think Han and Leia would just stay alive. But it doesn't matter what I think, I think people are just disappointed by what we got, and with the manner that we got it. I think GL would either have had all of them in the background, while not hurting their legacy at all, or he would have had them in the limelight, but nothing like what we got.

8. AnakinTheChosenOne

Sep 25, 2019
    a
    agree!

9. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Not sure why you’re insisting on this. I’m talking about Luke and Leia’s unconditional love for each other.

MJ

10. Jamtia1

Jamtia1 Jedi Knight star 1

May 27, 2019
    My thoughts exactly. They really took the PT and it's flaws to heart. They wanted to stay away from those fundamentals. We don't discuss how the First Order, the Resistance comes or what's going on in the New Republic. They are just there because they are there. Empire vs Rebels is what everyone loved, not politics, so let's just keep it where they were.

Not sure if you could have a ST without someone representing the OT so I'm glad they were able to get everyone back on board. Still a crime that we won't see a true OT reunion like a lot of us wanted, but hey like someone said, the writing was on the wall for the OT characters once they decided soft reboot.

Justin Gensel and Miles Lodson like this.
  11. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    There should never have been a soft reboot. There should have been a true sequel to the OT films, a true continuation of the story; a “ what happened next”? And the sequel trilogy should have shown respect to the characters and films that came before, as the filmmakers initially promised to do. But they broke that promise completely, destroying the OT characters before killing them ( especially Luke)), and making the OT films meaningless and unnecessary.

12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Absolutely agree. I've seen a recent argument that Disney was smart to market an anti-PT, OT-like experience with TFA because of the box office. But who the **** in 2013-2014 was gonna be like, "Oh God, more than 4 Jedi in this film? Well, now I don't wanna see it." People were gonna see Episode 7 no matter what as long as Luke, Leia, and Han were in it.

And what was the point of all that OT nostalgia when they literally went back to the OT era with Rogue One? Just misguided on so many levels. Im so happy people are calling out Disney for their lack of PT footage and OT footage manipulation while marketing TROS.

13. AnakinTheChosenOne

Sep 25, 2019
    It's the biggest slap in the face to any Prequel fans, I cannot believe that Disney is pushing for "The final film in the Skywalker Saga" and yet there is little to no Prequel footage. Last time I checked TPM, AOTC & ROTS are apart of the SS. Disney is all "Let the past die, especially the PT, but the OT, naw we need that for marketing and toy sales. I just hope Anakin comes back in TROS. Disney can pretend the PT doesn't exist but I will never forget those masterpieces!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  14. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    I cannot even begin to understand why anyone would be annoyed by having more than 4 Jedi in the same Star Wars movie, no matter what year we have.

If someone's eyes are sensitive to bright colors and they can't see a lot of lightsabers on the same screen at the same time, perhaps they should lower the contrast and the brightness of their TV, and enjoy one of the best elements in Star Wars.

And yes, the idea that TFA would NOT have a s$#@ ton of money is pretty wild. It made so much money even by being partially a remake, can you imagine how much more it could have made if it actually had a much stronger and original third act?

15. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Not to mention how the movie is aging like milk because of how limited it is in scope and themes from the Lucas Saga. The entire film is so cynical in believing that everyone hates the Prequels with a fiery passion that they have the only remotely interesting planet (Hosnian Prime: The big bad CGI City planet) get blown up to make room for more deserts and snow planets.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    But, it was a real desert. :)

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Plus this year was, though Disney was hugely quiet about it, TPM's 20th anniversary.

The Prequels aren't going away and now have their own grown up fans, some of whom may well be watching TCW with their own kids now.

I have my criticisms of the PT films but they also sparked so many other great stories set in the era too.

18. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Im gonna tell my kids this was a #realdesert.

19. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Unfortunately, yes, they “needed” the OT to copy and to destroy the OT characters in order to try to make their own characters look better. Guess what? It didn’t work with me. It just made me angry and made me resentful of the new characters for trying to usurp the iconic, classic characters and stealing their legacies. Instead, the new characters should have learned from and worked with the OT characters as the baton was passed to them in a satisfying and logical way without ruining beloved characters that stood the test of time for over 40 years. The new characters should have earned their own victories and legacies instead of swiping the legacies of superior characters.

I truly wish that the filmmakers would have just gone forward a hundred years so Luke, Han, and leia could have had their “ happily ever after”, and their legacies and personalities, and accomplishments could have remained intact.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, does this mean you're feeling a little kinder to the Legacy comics CoW? Not asking you to like Cade - the guy drives me up the wall too, but if you want a 100 years later story.... ;)

Come to think of it both DE and NJO have benefited from the ST.

21. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Still don’t like DE or the Legacy comics, but both are better than the sequel trilogy. The sequel trilogy has destroyed the characters and films that I enjoyed. Pretty much everything that I liked about Star Wars is gone or ruined because of the sequel trilogy. I knew we were in trouble when there were no new jedi in TFA, and Luke was nothing but a cameo, and Han and Leia’s only kid was a Vader wannabe and snoke was a palpatine wannabe. Things were pretty much back to before ANH. There has been absolutely no creativity in this sequel trilogy at all, but lots of plagiarism.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Grudging but I'll take it!

ChildOfWinds and Deliveranze like this.
  23. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    Legacy comics/Cade Skywalker was way too edgy even for Dark Horse. That being said, even those comics gave me a Force Ghost Anakin cameo.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    For all that Cade was an exasperating lead character - he was - I really liked that he simply didn't just 'get better', that he slipped, relapsed, screwed up spectacularly, but then did finally get his crap together, which includes the recognition that he is not worthless, and then goes on and takes out Krayt.

It is fair to say that the bulk of Legacy's supporting cast are better characters in the traditional sense.

Deliveranze and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed. Cade was my least favorite character in that story, but I loved the comic.

It's a shame that Luke was a better teacher in that, than in the ST. So many missed opportunities for the legacy characters.