main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: The OT Characters In The Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AnakinTheChosenOne, Oct 30, 2019.

Tags:
?

Are you happy with what the OT heroes accomplished for the sequel era?

1. Yes

25.1%
  2. No

74.9%
  1. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    It’s sad how often Lando got excluded from people viewing him as a key member of the OT heroes despite his role in the destruction of DS2 and now it continues in the ST where his massively heroic role is being overlooked for this end.

Just as it was in ROTJ if it was Han doing what Lando did at the end of ROTJ or at the end of TROS people would be be hyping up Han a lot more but because it’s Lando the discussions on OT legacy value seem to center only on the white heroes of the OT.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  2. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Lando is in it for 5 minutes, and was so obviously thrown into the ST at the last minute because Carrie Fisher died, and they needed to hit some nostalgia buttons. To compound the stupidity, his role in TRoS is to facilitate a wholly unearned and nonsensical Deus-ex-Machina. We don't even see him do anything. He just rocks up at the end along with half the Galaxy, for no good reason, just because they thought it would be a cool shot and possibly were looking to ape Endgame. Possibly the worst idea in the movie, and that's saying something.

Also, his ST backstory is what? Luke just left him on Pasaana, and he's been going round and round the planet for twenty years in a tractor? Real quality writing.

And if you're underwhelmed by this, guess what - you're a racist...

3. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    There’s like maybe a hundred ships. That’s maybe 50 calls for someone like Lando with a lot of contacts and in many cases these people heard Sidious’ transmission to submit to the Sith Empire or be punished and were looking for a leader.

It wasn’t Deus ex machina because there had been so much emphasis on how even though Crait didn’t work out people would come.

jeangreyforever and Iron_lord like this.
  4. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Crazy how not a single ship answered Leia's calls...

5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think Han Solo was the best of the big three, based on what we got. He was split up from Leia but Harrison gave us a fun performance before he bit the dust.

ThisIsTheWay likes this.
  6. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    We knew from the very start that the Star Wars saga would encompass more than the original three movies. As soon as the opening crawl for ANH stated Episode 4 and GL started exploring prequels and sequels publicly, fans realized that the story would continue. Granted, the story that we now have is different than many of the original concepts , but we knew that it was coming.

That being said, In order to have a sequel trilogy, there must be a very substantial threat and setbacks as part of the story. To have a thriving , peaceful galaxy does not lend itself to the creation of a new chapter in the overall saga. I suppose that some type of massive external threat might have worked as with ST DS9 as a largely peaceful, stable Federation needed to learn to deal with an all out invasion, but for a three movie arc that could have been difficult to set up.

IMO - the OT was an incomplete story from the start and I enjoyed seeing the return of our OT heros for a final stand against Palpatine.

The main problem with the ST is TLJ which IMO was a disaster but I enjoyed TFA and TROS.

So my vote is YES as to this thread

Jedi_Prophet77 likes this.
  7. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    No. Their story was destroyed and the characters were treated with disrespect while it happened. All four now of the OT heroes had terrible, pointless, failures of lives after RotJ. I would go far as to say it’s a betrayal of GL’s story. Disney and LF deserve every cross word he’s ever said about them for their handling of his story.

I was talking to a friend yesterday about the whole story/legacy of the ST, and I was kind of surprised one thing that stood out to me was my bitterness that Leia was denied a story as a Jedi. My friend too. I thought I accepted it with Bloodline, but I didn’t. It bothers me more now, at the end. Really it’s yet another failure of Luke’s. Leia should have been his first in a long line of not massacred-off-screen Jedi.

8. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Yes, because of TLJ. I was a bit unhappy after TFA undermining their achievements, but I *adored* the way TLJ turned that metatext into text by telling a story explicitly about the idea that each generation of heroes will always fail, but the important thing is to teach the next generation to do better than you. The OT generation did better than their predecessors; they failed too, but Luke, Leia and Han passed on lessons to the younger generation who were able to succeed. Rey, Finn, Poe, Rose and the others will no doubt fail too in time, but they will pass on their own lessons so their children can do better too.

9. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    No - the OT 3 didn't have much utility in the sequels and were basically used for the new characters to stand on their shoulders.

10. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
  11. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Not really. The distress beacon was sent not to individuals but to governments and those move slow. Especially after an entire star system had just been destroyed. For all they knew there were only a handful of people left.

Flash forward a year and people have felt the impact of the FO in their own lives more and now heard this transmission from the former Emperor that a new era of the Sith will be coming to enslave everyone or face planetary destruction.

It took time and assessment and the realization of what was coming next but people showed up. Not one big system of government but an armada of everyday people. Lando rallied them up after all of these new developments.

It completely tracks.

12. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Lando also lost his only daughter and maybe Jannah isn't her
    [/QUOTE]

ami-padme, PendragonM and AhsokaSolo like this.
  13. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Yes.

Han Solo - (“if you see our son bring him home”); his story about sacrifice and mentor ship completely showed his growth from scoundrel into one of the galaxies greatest generals of myths and legend (TFA). He helped the Resistance win the Starkiller Base incident as it’s called, befriended Rey, and Finn and his best friend has trusted Rey so much it appears the life debt was transferred to Rey by Chewbacca. Finally when all things seemed lost and Rey had left Kylo, Ben returned in a scene (down to dialogue) that brings back Ben Solo. Who enturns does exactly what his father did and sacrifices himself for the one he loves the Solo story was full circle.

Luke Skywalker - Jedi Master, myth, legend and hero. He fulfilled Yodas task, pass on what you learned. As he did. He taught Leia, Ben, and Rey. He built an academy. He went on adventures with Lando Calrissan to end the Sith. Luke was the “hero the galaxy needed” - Rey; when he sacrificed himself so that the Resistance could live to fight another day.

He taught Rey that he was wrong, that failure is something that we can all learn from and that no one is ever really gone. Luke showed Rey that her family didn’t define her and that she was ready to ascend to the mantle to carry on the Jedi teachings to future generations. Luke’s impact on Rey was so important and impactful that she abandoned her birth name to honor the Skywalkers (Luke, Leia and Ben/Han)

Leia Organa - fulfilled her mission to show Poe Dameron of how to lead, finished training Rey in the Jedi arts and oversaw the execution and development of the attack on Exegol. She saved Rey before Kylo Ren killed Rey on the Death Star ruins, then sacrificed herself to force a memory to Ben Solo to save her son. She like both Han and Luke sacrificed themselves for family. Han did it to prove to Ben his family still loved him, Luke did it to save the Resistance and his sister, and Leia did it to save her son and Rey.

14. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, Artoo, Threepio and Lando all got lost in the desire to create new characters and build the story around them, to the cost of pushing the OT characters into the background and then even further away. Luke is a miser who never got one last lightsaber duel, Leia only just got to use the Force and never fulfilled her potential as a powerful Jedi Knight, Han regressed back to who he was before ANH and Lando lost everything and became a desert wanderer.

Was that what anyone expected? Certainly I can't recall anyone predicting that on here back in 2012 through to 2015...

15. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    No not really at all and the main thing is The OT big 3 did not have 1 second of screen time together & to quote Mark Hamill "A Wasted Opportunity" and no one seemed to care !

Luke : Wasted.....30 seconds in TFA ! come on Luke should have been used way better and maybe a rescue mission to an imprisoned Luke Skywalker would have worked out quite nicely and no light saber duel WTF and everyone hated him in TLJ but Mark Hamill did give an awesome performance , Luke did have a nice cameo in TROS ,

Han : Han was Han but to kill him off in the TFA was horrendous he should have at least made EP8 ,

Leia : Leia was good no real complaints ,

Lando : Lando was good and just like the old Laando ,

C3PO : Great send off that he deserved

R2D2 : A bit wasted not that much screen time ,

Chewbacca : Used very well and great he finally got his medal .

Glitterstimm likes this.
  16. CleanCode

CleanCode Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 7, 2018
    I don't see what they accomplished TBH.
    Luke: sacrificial death.
    Han: murdered by his only child.
    Leia: lost her only child twice, sacrificial death.

ami-padme, 11-4D, Darth PJ and 2 others like this.
  17. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    No. I think the ST treats the OT heroes as the competition, instead of their ally.

Han makes it out the best, who actually mentored the new heroes, and actually has a hand in redeeming Ben, all despite even having force powers. Meanwhile, Leia has force powers and is apparently a Jedi Master, and she does nothing with it, to the point of sending everyone else to their deaths to deal with her son, while she doesn't do anything, and waits for her brother to show up to inspire everyone, when she actually already inspires people and has the Force. And Luke. Enough has been said about Luke.

18. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    The biggest issue is what we didn’t see on screen in the 30 years between ROTJ and TFA.

I haven’t read Bloodlines or any of the supporting media, but I’m still thirsting for some post-ROTJ action with Luke, Leia, and Han reforming the Republic and the Jedi. That’s what we wanted to see some of in Episode 7 and got none of. That should be the next Filoni animated series.

Ben Solo shows me that there was once a young, charismatic Jedi that Luke trained and probably went on adventures with. I’d really like to see that mission to find Exegol that Lando and Luke went on. I’d like to think that Leia and Han had some adventures in establishing the Republic. There’s a lot to suggest interesting things happened and were accomplished, but we haven’t seen that yet.

There’s still so much we don’t know. We don’t know when Palpatine was revived (I think he was clinically dead for a few years at least), or how widsepread the Republic was (books probably show this), how successful Luke’s Jedi Order was in the meantime, etc. I’m sure all of that happened. We just never got that onscreen and, until we do, it’s hard to have a definitive judgment on it.

I’m could okay with it, but I don’t think I’ll ever be okay with the unoriginality of the ST.

19. jeangreyforever

jeangreyforever Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2019
    Probably an unpopular opinion here, but I don't want Dave Filoni anywhere near the OT3. His specialty seems to be the Prequel characters and he'll just shoehorn in Ahsoka, Sabine, or Ezra and have them take over the narrative.

Theo333 and Jedi_Prophet77 like this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No but I can live with it. I actually liked where they took Luke in TLJ I just think Leia could have done more, but it’s hard to do that with Carrie being dead

greytstar likes this.
  21. greytstar

greytstar Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2015
    If we consider the ST as a totally valid story in the Skywalker saga, it´s obvious the whole OT was a rather irrelevant time in the sw storyline or a transition period to say it softer, I mean, all three movies fighting the empire with, supposedly, epic wars and just a few years later, the empire gets even bigger and stronger and not even the main villian was killed?.

The only relevant thing about the OT was that Leia and Luke met and Anakin and Yoda died.

I think, just from the storyline perspective, the ST is much more important. Of course one could also opt to dismiss what they made of the ST story and think it all ended in Endor

Blueandwhite, Miriedis, 11-4D and 8 others like this.
  22. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    simple and easy answer 'nope, in no way'.

23. comet1440

comet1440 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2004
    No. They didn't accomplish anything.

24. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    ICAM! Did things last after ROTJ, no but there'd be no more stories if there were though. So I can see others' points, but the Big 3 and I'll include Lando, did accomplish much. I won't repeat your points but they did help introduce a new generation of heroes to the galaxy. I think they proved to be good mentors IMO.

jeangreyforever likes this.
  25. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    No for reasons that have already been stated here. I also think it takes away from Anakin's arc and hands his Chosen One status to Rey. A Palpatine finally ending Sidious and then taking the name Skywalker? Just no.