main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: The OT Characters In The Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AnakinTheChosenOne, Oct 30, 2019.

Tags:
?

Are you happy with what the OT heroes accomplished for the sequel era?

1. Yes

25.1%
  2. No

74.9%
  1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    overall no, but i thought they were treated pretty well in ROS considering.

2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I'm so happy that I I don't care about any of them anymore.:rolleyes: The ST made me completely and utterly indifferent about characters I USED to love/care about.

#notmyOTheroes

3. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Depends on the character:
    • Han Solo - Yes. He got the treatment and ending the character deserved
    • Luke Skywalker - No. They wasted way too long in TLJ making him an insane person.
    • Leia Organa - Sort of an incomplete for me. I would love to have seen what TRoS would have been had Carrie Fisher not tragically passed. They did a really good job with what they had.
    I liked the introduction of Kylo Ren and his lineage. I thought that made a ton of sense. I don't think they needed to dig up Palpatine again and even then the way it happened felt forced in there (should have been introduced in VIII).

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    No.

Too much of the substance from ROTJ that I cared about was either destroyed (New Jedi Order, New Republic, the whole “Skywalker/Solo family” thing) or ignored from what they should have done with the new characters (Luke training Rey, someone in the OT3 being Rey’s parent, *anyone* outside of just Han associating with Finn).... and I consider the amount of sacrifices and cameos made for Ben Solo to be a liability to their legacy, not a boon (“Hey, we need to goo through some convolutions and stop Rey of even more dramatic stuff so that the Hot Topic model can kiss her, m’kay?”).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  5. frail47

frail47 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    Nope. The mere existence of this version of a sequel trilogy undermines everything and everyone that came before. No, peace doesn't last forever, but certainly they could have approached a new rising threat much better than this.

6. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Nope.

Han Solo had ascended by the end of ROTJ to a genuinely good guy with a big heart, who cared about his friends and the greater cause, seemingly to get married and live happily ever after with the Alderaanian princess. He ended up having a failed marriage, being a failed parent whom his kid hated, went back to being a smuggler, lost the Millenium Falcon, only to be killed by his son merely as a test. I am not sure how it could have been worse.

Luke Skywalker never appeared in the ST really, so I guess we don't know what happened to him. We did get Mark Hamill impersonating someone who looked like Luke though. A version of Luke that was a coward, scared and frail old man, who had abandoned the fight for reasons much less severe than the adversities he had to face in the OT, went to an island so that he can die in peace and did not care anymore for what's happening in the galaxy, leaving it be. And then he was convinced that he had gotten it all wrong because he was taught by Rey and Yoda the same lessons that he had learned 30 years prior over and over again. In the meantime, he made a failed Jedi Academy, thought of killing his nephew, was not able to protect his students, and finally appeared, but was not even there, to cause a distraction and then die for no reason.

Leia Organa Solo Skywalker got the best of the three, as she is portrayed mostly as the sweet mother that Kylo Ren actually cannot betray, perhaps the only anchor to the light side for him, and she was still a General in the ranks, fighting the good cause, and always being present. However, she was also partially responsible for the failed marriage, was not there for her son, also died for absolutely no reason at all, and only got one good scene with her brother's astral projection, and a warm hug with her ex husband.

I cannot think of a worse fate for any of them, within the realm of possibilities for their future set in ROTJ. Maybe a bathroom accident where Leia and Han slipped on the soap in their outdoors holo-bathroom, only to fall to their deaths 1287 floors to the ground right after the celebrations of dissolving the Empire? And Luke choking with green milk the day after he destroyed the Emperor? Maybe those would have been worse.

7. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Beautiful post. :cool: :yoda:

Nailed it.

Ben-Solo likes this.
  8. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    EDIT: Frickin' doubles.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  9. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I would have taken the single shot of Luke and Leia, as force ghosts, at the end of TROS over anything they said or did in TFA and TLJ. The shame is that Luke and Leia are supposed to be what when they die? In their 50’s? So not only do they not achieve restoring peace and order after ROTJ, they both die prematurely. Nice. The ST should have been set at least 100 years after ROTJ and we could have avoided all this bad use of the original characters.

10. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I voted no. I echo other posters' views that the ST reversed everything achieved in the OT to give us pretty much exactly the same conflict again, only with new faces. Those new faces were promising, but when the credits rolled on TFA I was so disappointed. Not only did the film fail to add something new to the saga, it felt destructive. I found TLJ really compelling, perhaps partly as I felt less invested in the bizarro universe this trilogy created. Bringing Palpatine back in TROS without real explanation and having him be beaten in a fashion that doesn't try to build on or differentiate itself from ROTJ just confirmed how I felt about this trilogy. As others have said, peace doesn't last forever, but I don't accept that this was the only possible conflict for a sequel trilogy.

I think it's fine for them to have failed, but I needed more of a reason for them to have failed than just the fact that the filmmakers wanted this setup for these films. It really diminished the OT heroes' competence. That's why I kind of thought what Rian did with Luke was interesting. I never bought that he'd run away. But in TLJ I did buy it after seeing that he was racked by severe guilt from creating Kylo Ren (though I didn't initially like that choice). The ST would have been more satisfying if these promising new characters had been given their own distinctive challenges to face, rather than having them just do the same things the OT heroes did and succeeding where they failed not because it's different but because these are the current heroes.

11. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    To say they didn't achieve anything is a bit like saying those who died in the first world war didnt achieve anything cos there was a second

Ben-Solo and Ender_and_Bean like this.
  12. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    No, but at least their appearance meant that we got these

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  13. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    I love his stick

14. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    It's more like after WW2 Hitler came back from the dead, the European Union never existed, and anyone who was a hero in WW2 became a deserter for WW3.

15. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    We've had many Hitler's in many forms. Leia was a hero to the end as was Han as was chewy and luke, if you choose not to see that, that your business. Luke admits he was wrong and ultimately saves the day. Also I think he shows the pacificism he exhibits in jedi. The guys making the ST were on a hiding to nothing. I applauded at the end. For myself and my five year old self.

16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    How is confronting a sleeping youth, not liking what you sense then intending to kill that sleeping youth, pacifism?

17. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Absolutely not. Those that are saying that "it's like saying [X historical event] had no consequences because [X] exists" are missing the point. If the New Republic or some form of government or legacy established by the OT lived on in the ST, that'd be one thing. The difference is that the New Republic and all of their accomplishments (as well as the Jedi Order) were destroyed within the first hour of TFA. To me, that seems incredibly jarring coming directly from ROTJ.

18. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I'm satisfied with what the OT3 (well 4 with Lando) accomplished in the OT3 era. I'm "okay" with the sacrifices they made for the new generation, but I just figure that they made their accomplishments for their time.

darthfettus2015 and Iron_lord like this.
  19. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    This is spot on

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    A sleeping youth consumed with evil. Matbehe sensed he would go on to kill Han. It's a bit like would you kill the teenage Hitler as he was a spectacularly bad artist? Rhink the flashback is criticised far too much

21. Noen

Noen Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2019
    Very pleased, cause people are flawed and this is what always made star wars characters so interesting. This why I fell in love with the Skywalker family and Han, and not some sterilized and polished hero, found in so many other works of fiction.

As in Greek mythology, the "gods" are nothing like us in their capabilities, but just like us in character. Flawed to the bone. Extremely passionate, either that is love or anger. You expect anything from a Skywalker or Han, and this is why they have done everything. Lead their troops, die for their friends, be young idealists changing the fate of the universe, and ... kill children, lead the First Order etc.

Luke is a man. Not an idea. So was his father, who went from self sacrifice to killing children, so was his nephew, sweet Ben, who loved and helped, but killed and burned. Luke after a life of struggle, sacrifices, failures and family drama, he gave it all up. He dived into depression, drunk green junk, went fat, and wanted to hear 0 complaints from anyone. $### you all, because simply put I'am just so tired of it all. That's what so many of us feel, so often. So many time when you are between the hammer and the anvil, and you feel like a tiger in a cage.

Leia dropped training when she realized her boy could be harmed. Obviously. A mother will move planets for her boy, let alone in this case where it strictly dependents on her, continuing her training or not. Han is a smuggler. Hehe, filthy lovely pirate smuggling dude. That's his blood, and he went back it to. Yeah :) .

So not only I'am pleased, but I think that any other path would have tarnished the core of the Skywalker family and Han, which is not some shining medieval knight, upholding principles. Their core is to be human. With all the luggage we carry, the mistakes we do, and the incredible range of behaviors we exhibit.

With all the great changes that happen to us, from living.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
  23. greytstar

greytstar Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2015
    He could not kill his father who was the second most evil person in the galaxy just behind Palpatin because he trusted in the light side of the force, but then he tried to kill his nephew and apprentice, from behind and while he was sleeping?? That would make Palpatin feel proud of him

24. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    Yes; Han and Leia created Kylo Ren/Ben Solo (the best character).

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  25. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Ooh, the legacy of the heroes reduced to sperm and egg donors! Yes, that is an accomplishment.