main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Poll] Was GL right to start out in OT rather PT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Vader322, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vader322

Vader322 Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2003
    suks i cant make a real poll so o well.
    i think he should of started with TPM b/c
    of starting with ANH Palpatines character is messed up. this is why...

TPM- apears in hollos and a breif apearence
    ATOC-is only talked of and a breif apearence at end.
    EpIII-Will probally be in most of movie.
    ANH-Not one thing is mentioned b/c he didnt exsist yet.
    ESB-A breif hollo
    ROTJ-shown in some parts in person and at final half-hour.
    the wrong thing is we see the main villian in saga (overall) start to get popular in PT then he vanishes for about 4 hours of the saga (he appeared for 2 mins in ESB)and then is suddenly brought back into the story. i think thats a little wrong. this only happened b/c he started with ANH and never planned on make Eps 1-3. also like to point out movie 4/6 in saga is the one that explains the SW universe. a little odd wouldn't you say

so i think he was wrong to start in OT
    /NO
    overall its still the best movie series ever.

2. MasterYodawell

MasterYodawell Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2003
    I think if "The Phantom Menace" came out in 1977 as the first Star Wars movie, it would've been the ONLY Star Wars movie because the others would've never been made. All's well that ends well, and all things considered, I think ending the series with the PT is the right move.

3. Vader322

Vader322 Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2003
    im not tryin to dis GL (after all SW movies and merchindise has made over 1bil$) but i think im always gonna watch ANH first. its just a better 1st movie than TPM. its accually just a better movie that TPM in any way. im problly gonna watch OT then to PT, like how they came out.

4. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    ANH-Not one thing is mentioned b/c he didnt exsist yet

Tarkin mentions in Emperor in ANH, so he did exist at that time. He was just never seen in the film because his prescence wasn't needed.

From what I understand, Lucas never intended for the prequel stories to be the first films. He intended to start with ANH, but in order to figure out where Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan, and Vader had come from, he had to work out the backstories, which formed the story concepts of the prequels. Just like the way any author would write up characters' backstories in order to have a better understanding of them while writing a story.

It was only after the success of ANH that Lucas thought to himself, "Hmmm. Maybe I could even tell these backstories I wrote," hence why EPISODE 4 was added to STAR WARS during its rerelease.

So, no, I don't think he was wrong in starting out with the OT because that was his intention.

5. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    Yes, it is mentioned that the Emperor dissolved the last remnants of the Republic by getting rid of the Senate.

6. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    I think the idea of starting from the OT was great. LONG LIVE GEORGE LUCAS!!

7. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yup. The Clone Wars probably wouldn't have been possible in the late seventies to early eighties. Same with Coruscant, Kamino, etc.

Crikey, they were pushing the limits with thrity ships and a Death Star back in '77. the battle of Geonosis wouldn't have been anywhere near as awesome.

Anyhow, considering that the OT and PT neatly dovetail into eachother, I'd say it was a good decision.

8. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think Lucas was right in doing the OT first because like Lucas, I believe it's the more interesting part of the saga.

9. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    The OT was the right way to go for many of the reasons already mentioned, better story, technology for the PT and so on.

10. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I think he did it the right way. The PT is a much more epic tale that needs the technology we have today. The OT is more personal and can be told in a much easier way with limited technology.

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I think he did the right thing with starting with the OT. Like someone above said, if TPM was released first it would have been the only Star Wars film made. Lucas even said himself that he started in the middle because the middle three were more interesting. TPM had the potential to bore the audience at some points and hence, would have made a pretty boring movie to introduce Star Wars to the world.

12. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    i agree, OT first. as someone stated, technology would not have allowed for the majority of the locales/battles that took place in the PT.

Also, the story of the PT is much more complex, which might not have attracted as big an audience, as opposed to the "rescue the princess" plot ANH followed.

13. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    Yes, partly because it is a natural process of developing a story of this size and its characters.

It is also because Lucas didn't know how much of a future there would be for his franchise. He figured his little "Flash Gordon" film would come and go. So he had to sum things up as much as possible in one film - self contained.

14. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    The PT is a downer. The OT was definately the one that should have came first. It's happy rather than depressing.

15. Wampa_Joe

Wampa_Joe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2001
    I agree with the decision to start with EPIV-VI, but to those of you who are saying it wouldn't be possible to start with the prequels because of limited technology, I have to disagree. If he HAD started with them, then they would have been the more personal, character-driven films of the six, and A New Hope onward would have had outlandish CGI battles and overly complex stories.

Much of the PT is written the way it is to allow ILM to play with their technology. It would be possible to do the PT back in the late '70s, and I have a feeling they would have been better because of it, even though the OT would have suffered from the same troubles the PT does today.

16. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    It was obviously the right move because 5 films and over 20 years later, Star Wars remains one of the most popular and successful movie franchises in the history of cinema. However, if Lucas had decided to start with Episode 1, I doubt there would be much difference because Episode 1 would not have been cynically received and would have probably enjoyed similiar success as A New Hope, and today people would be bitching that Episode 4 just doesn't capture the magic of Episode 1.

17. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Yeah, I kinda like the OT better cos they have an interesting storyline and becos of that I'm sure it sparked off an interest in ppl about the origins of the CHOSEN ONE.

18. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    It would have been interesting had Lucas started off with Episode 1 in 1977. I wonder what fans would have thought of the OT had it came out in 1999 and we were waiting for ROTJ.

Certainly Empire wouldn't have had so much of an impact.

Yep, he was right to have started with ANH.

19. vmhz

vmhz Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2003
    I never really bought the idea that GL had the saga's entire story in his mind since the beginning. I think he had somewhat of a story, but needed to choose what he felt was the best ideas to put into one film. He could not foresee that ANH was going to be so huge.

So going on to ESB, he had to adapt all of his ideas through ANH. I actually remember something about him not deciding to make Vader Luke's father well into the production of ESB. Then I remember an interview that he didn't decideto bring up Leia being Luke's sister until he was writing ROJ.

Anyway, I don't think we can judge if it was right or wrong to start out with the OT, because ANH was really meant to be a single film.

".... maybe I'm just going crazy"

20. vampire-jing

vampire-jing Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    However, if Lucas had decided to start with Episode 1, I doubt there would be much difference because Episode 1 would not have been cynically received and would have probably enjoyed similiar success as A New Hope, and today people would be bitching that Episode 4 just doesn't capture the magic of Episode 1.

I agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.